welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > General Gaming

Old 03-26-2012, 04:31 AM   #1
Purple Santa
The OTHER Santa

Send a message via AIM to Purple Santa Send a message via Yahoo to Purple Santa
WeekDAY gaming(3/26/12)- What are YOU still playing?

Worldwide Telegram
We service the Globe with your words

Weekend ends (Stop) WeekDAY begins (Stop)

What are YOU still playing (Stop)

Rails? The DAY/END threads don't need no stinking rails, they just meander like a drunk looking for a bench to flop down on~ Gorvi

Hell, 'derail'? This is like calling the surface of the sun 'warmish'. Somewhat lacking in appropriate magnitude~ Jpublic

That's too applied for my tastes. Math makes the most sense to me when it's reality bending abstraction. Or when it's evil~ Frederec
Purple Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:58 AM   #2
Widgetcraft
A *** in the machine.

More Mass Effect 3! I have just about given up on the multiplayer component. Something always happens to spoil a game, either everyone leaves (there is always at least one person to leave after the first round), the connection is shit, the game DCs me, or the game hands me some kind of terribly debilitating bug. The single player is fun though.

I'm thinking of buying The Big Bang Theory: Season One on DVD. It's pretty cheap, $18 and I can have it by Wednesday. It's a pretty funny show, but I guess everyone here would have already formed an opinion about it. I think I may start reading my copies of The Hunger Games if I find that I can't get back into the second set of The Chronicles of Amber. Doubt that I will be reading much though, Mass Effect ate my life.

Resisting the urge to buy Kid Icarus. I think I'm just going to focus on my Vita. The game looks okay, but I have a feeling that I wouldn't be able to tolerate it's control scheme for long.
Follow me on Twitter!
Widgetcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:50 AM   #3
Gwinny
Adventure!

After the elation of a big release (ME3), I'm sorta in the pit of "What now?" I got my soldier character to level 20 in the MP.

I have literally dozens of things I could play (that I haven't yet!) between Steam and Good Old Games, but nothing's jumping out. I went ahead and bought Tomb Raider Underworld. *shrug*
Gwinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:56 AM   #4
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR006 View Post
I have literally dozens of things I could play (that I haven't yet!) between Steam and Good Old Games, but nothing's jumping out. I went ahead and bought Tomb Raider Underworld. *shrug*
As I recall, shrugging is precisely how human enemies react when you pump them with bullets in that game. "Does being shot at bother me? Eh. *shrug*" Or is that TR: Anniversary?

This week: Reading a few books for class, and, if I get time, ME3!
Current Projects
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #5
Gwinny
Adventure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverant View Post
As I recall, shrugging is precisely how human enemies react when you pump them with bullets in that game. "Does being shot at bother me? Eh. *shrug*" Or is that TR: Anniversary?

This week: Reading a few books for class, and, if I get time, ME3!
Haha! Probably is Underworld. I've never played it, as I didn't play the reboot/trilogy except for Anniversary. Which was fine, as far as I remember, re: putting bullets into things.

What are you reading for class? I'm kicking myself because I forgot to grab my copies of Virginia Woolf novels when I stopped home over spring break, and the syllabus for the class I just added is full of books I already own.
Gwinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:21 AM   #6
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

Mass Effect 3. Judging on the ending, more Mass Effect 3. Or maybe I'll try to get my AssBro game back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:35 AM   #7
AyeEmBored
He is bored.

Ow. I hurt. Heading to class...

Last night, I finished up the possessed mages quest line in KoA, and finished off all of the quests in the plains. Off to the red desert, and the baddies are greys and the loot is laughable.

Over 50 hours into the game already. There's content in it, that's for sure.

*looks sideways* Maybe I did do things in the wrong order. We'll see.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:59 AM   #8
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

Hunger Games have all the problems of YA novels, accentuated by awful narration!

EDIT: It's all ok when characters are speaking to each other!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.

Last edited by muddi900; 03-26-2012 at 07:02 AM.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:08 AM   #9
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

Quote:
After the elation of a big release (ME3), I'm sorta in the pit of "What now?" I got my soldier character to level 20 in the MP.

Underworld is a solid game, it's fun.

Ah, gaming this weekend. On the console side it'll be between Fallout: New Vegas and Dark Souls. In F:NV I really should start making my way to Vegas, I'm 30 hours in, nearly level 18, and haven't made it there yet.

On the PC side is where things get fun. I really got into Jamestown this weekend, as much as you can get into a shmup, and I'm determined to beat it this week. I like how they force you to go back and beat the earlier levels on harder settings to unlock the later levels. It does in a way artificially lengthen the game, but it also forces you to really master the levels, and I like that. I'm still only sticking with the first ship you get, I'm just not comfortable with the others. I really wish the co-op in the game was online, I'd love to take the game on with someone from CoG.

Next is The Binding of Isaac. I really like the game, but damn, it could really, really use a bit more explanation. What the hell do the items do? There's zero description for anything, even in the menu where you can look at all the items you've collected. Even Dark Souls isn't that old school. Otherwise, the game is fun, I love it. Apparently you have to use JoyToKey if you want to use a controller, so I might download that. The keyboard was serving me well enough, but I can see the benefit of a controller.

I have a couple of games that I just picked up this weekend that could fall into jpublic's little thing he was trying to set up playing old games and talking about them. I just picked up the Fallout Collection (Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics) for a whopping $6.67 and the Deus Ex Collection (Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition and Deus Ex: Invisible War) for $4.99, and of those games I've only ever played the original Deus Ex on PS2 for a few hours. Since I'm already playing a Fallout game (even thought hour I played of the original Fallout on Saturday night was awesome), I think I may start up Deus Ex. Not a guarantee in any way, in all likelihood I just won't have the time for yet another game, but the possibility exists.
PSN ID: Gorvi - Steam ID: gorvivelgin
Gorvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
Spigot
Turn Me

Holy crap. Just got a series of calls this morning that make me want to cry (about work) or at least bang my head against a wall. Sigh.

As for games, I'm going to finish ME3 this week. My readiness is hovering around the 100% mark so I should be able to focus on the SP for te rest of the week. That's my focus as far as gaming goes this week.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:46 AM   #11
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvi View Post
Next is The Binding of Isaac. I really like the game, but damn, it could really, really use a bit more explanation. What the hell do the items do? There's zero description for anything, even in the menu where you can look at all the items you've collected. Even Dark Souls isn't that old school. Otherwise, the game is fun, I love it. Apparently you have to use JoyToKey if you want to use a controller, so I might download that. The keyboard was serving me well enough, but I can see the benefit of a controller.
Getting a controller to work with the game isn't too tough. JoytoKey is pretty simple to use, from what I recall.

As for the item descriptions, that's part of the Roguelike genre! You have to have a little mystery, right? After a few runs through the game you'll figure out what things do.

You should look into playing Dungeons of Dredmore at some point. It's another modern Roguelike, but it's more lighthearted than Isaac.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:49 AM   #12
MagGnome

I'm hoping to have some time to game this week, although I have plenty of homework to do, and I really need to look for a job as well. Here's what I'll be playing if/when I have the time:

Undying - It isn't as scary as I remember, at least so far. Then again I've been playing during the daytime. I only played this for a few minutes the other day, so I'm hoping to get farther into the game this week.

Dwarf Fortress - My fortress is humming along. I'm continuing to build up defenses. I also need to make soap for my hospital. Several dwarves are in there with wounds that cannot be washed because I have no soap whatsoever. Oh no! I'm hoping they don't all get infections.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:58 AM   #13
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
Getting a controller to work with the game isn't too tough. JoytoKey is pretty simple to use, from what I recall.

As for the item descriptions, that's part of the Roguelike genre! You have to have a little mystery, right? After a few runs through the game you'll figure out what things do.

You should look into playing Dungeons of Dredmore at some point. It's another modern Roguelike, but it's more lighthearted than Isaac.
Oh, I doubt it would be too tough to get a controller working, I'm actually quite happy with the keyboard controls. I just thought it was odd for the devs to have a controller option in the menu that simply said "Use JoyToKey".

You're right about the item descriptions, I suppose, I guess it's just that the game doesn't really feel like a Rogue-like. I haven't played a true Rogue-like since I was a kid back on my old 386, I'd love to play a true one again. I'll have to keep an eye out for Dredmore going on sale again.
PSN ID: Gorvi - Steam ID: gorvivelgin
Gorvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #14
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

Quote:
Haha! Probably is Underworld. I've never played it, as I didn't play the reboot/trilogy except for Anniversary. Which was fine, as far as I remember, re: putting bullets into things.

What are you reading for class? I'm kicking myself because I forgot to grab my copies of Virginia Woolf novels when I stopped home over spring break, and the syllabus for the class I just added is full of books I already own.
Typical odd mix for the Global Studies major. Rumi's Fihi Ma Fihi (Literally, "In it's what's in it", but this English translation is titled "Signs of the Unseen" to draw in the new age hippy crowd), a book about Saddam's Iraq called I'jaam, and parts of some Hannah Arendt book.
Current Projects
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:51 AM   #15
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvi View Post
Oh, I doubt it would be too tough to get a controller working, I'm actually quite happy with the keyboard controls. I just thought it was odd for the devs to have a controller option in the menu that simply said "Use JoyToKey".

You're right about the item descriptions, I suppose, I guess it's just that the game doesn't really feel like a Rogue-like. I haven't played a true Rogue-like since I was a kid back on my old 386, I'd love to play a true one again. I'll have to keep an eye out for Dredmore going on sale again.
The Binding of Isaac is basically a mix of a Rogue-like and the original Legend of Zelda. Dungeons of Dredmore is definitely more of a true Rogue-like but with non-ASCII graphics.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #16
jpublic
Threadslayer

So, my Anachronox games *are* hosed. Oh well.

I'm going to take suggestions on my next oldie game:

Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed (SSI Gold Box)
Bard's Tale III
Dragon Wars
The Krynn Series of SSI Gold Box
Lands of Lore
Ultima 1-3

(Edit: meant BT3)

"The closest they came [to] Platonic ideas is [using] two paper plates for lunch." --Pale Ale

Last edited by jpublic; 03-26-2012 at 09:55 AM.
jpublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #17
Kielaran
Needs to NaNo

I loved playing Dungeons of Dredmore. To be honest, I don't know why I stopped. I really should get back into it.

So I worked on the bathroom tile this weekend. Much to my surprise, I found out the top row that I was trying to take off was bullnosed. I don't mean in the sense that it curved at the top, but that it looked like a 'C', curling it a lot on the top and bottom. To top it off, it was held in by cement. I now have a row of cracked and chipped cenement where the tile used to be as I ponder my next move. I have had a lot of suggestions, but i think I may ignore them all and just get more cement to put in its place. Doing that would let me set the distance I need (which I couldn 't really get with backerboard anyway). I am taking pictures along the way and will post them when I get to it.

On a related note, my thumb only hurts now when i push on the back side of it. It isn't bruised, but I am wondering if I bruised the bone.

Note #2: It looks like I need to take out the medicine cabinet sooner than I thought. The tile we had in there was right against it and the new tile we are going to use is nearly an inch wider.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #18
jpublic
Threadslayer

Y'know, I never played the Krynn Gold Box. I think I'll start with them.

"The closest they came [to] Platonic ideas is [using] two paper plates for lunch." --Pale Ale
jpublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #19
EWolfmanD
Investigation Team

Devil Survivor 2 - I started day 6 last night and read a few events. I also did the first miniboss battle of the day, but the red light on my DS came on as I was finishing it, so I had to stop there. I had a ton of macca, so I started fusing some demons. It's pretty fun trying to pass on the resistance skills to new demons to try to get rid of their weaknesses. But it does cost a lot to rebuy a demon at this point, so maybe I should look up what demons I want for the endgame, and then find out what demons I need to make along the way. I plan on finishing day 6 tonight and then finish the game in the next few days. After that, I'll look up what the other routes are, decide which one I want to go for next, and start replaying the game.

Mass Effect 3 - I'll probably play some more multiplayer. I got my Asari Adept to level 19 during the exp weekend, but I didn't get a chance to play more than that. I'm still trying to get some more packs so that I can unlock a Krogan. Give me a Krogan!

Tales of Graces f - I played very little so I'm basically where I was last weekend, although I did finish that area. I know where I need to go next, but I might also be able to summon something to go somewhere else. I think that I'll check that out first to see what it does and then get back on track. I'm still tempted to grind battles to earn more skills and titles, but I'll try to hold off for now. Most of that will come naturally as I play the game. I think some sort of big event will occur soon, and there will be another twist in the story. I'm just not sure what it will be exactly, so that's pretty good.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #20
Dostoyevsky
Колонист

Silent Hill: Downpour (360) - A mixed bag of great to garbage, Downpour is winning me over with its really cool atmosphere, a solid narrative and some really interesting ideas, like the rain, an open-worldish flair and its neat side missions. I think it's actually better than Homecoming (which I also liked) and is probably the best non-Team Silent SH.
Dostoyevsky is offline   Reply With Quote