welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 03-23-2012, 05:10 AM   #1101
Reelya
Colonist

Hi, Toady just release v34.06 with his new animal-training system (each fortress and civ has familiarity levels with taming each exotic species, and through practice, you can tame anything). It also has a new clothing decay system to stop claimed socks blocking doorways, and that sort of thing. Also, finally you'll need to create new clothing for dwarves, so clothing industry get's a boost in importance.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index...69.0;topicseen

You might want to wait for tools etc, to get updated, but this is a good update. I have a feeling this might break save-compatibility. Will have to see how all these changes effect game-play.

Last edited by Reelya; 03-23-2012 at 05:15 AM.
Reelya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:43 AM   #1102
Panthera
ANUSTART

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean View Post
Someone could absolutely create a GUI with high resolution sprites and a point-and-click interface along with a tutorial using Unity and then we could play DF on our phones. The only reason it's crazy old-school is because someone wants it that way.

More power to them, but I miss games like this that use modern UIs.
Oh, it's just that simple!

No, the problem is that Toady isn't a programmer by trade and he's the one doing everything. The other thing is that I'm not convinced that the game isn't too complicated to work as well with a traditional mouse interface without looking like Photoshop, and even then would be faster to play with keyboard shortcuts.

Also, the game does have mouse support.

"Then it is also your fate to be beaten," said Diogenes, hitting him across the head with his staff.
Panthera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #1103
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelya View Post
Hi, Toady just release v34.06 with his new animal-training system (each fortress and civ has familiarity levels with taming each exotic species, and through practice, you can tame anything). It also has a new clothing decay system to stop claimed socks blocking doorways, and that sort of thing. Also, finally you'll need to create new clothing for dwarves, so clothing industry get's a boost in importance.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index...69.0;topicseen

You might want to wait for tools etc, to get updated, but this is a good update. I have a feeling this might break save-compatibility. Will have to see how all these changes effect game-play.
That update sounds like a nightmare! Making clothing in the game is not exactly a simple process, at least in my limited experience. I'm curious as to why you find this to be a good thing? I hope that doesn't sound snarky, I'm honestly curious. It sounds frustrating to me, but maybe in practice it won't be?

Edit - Speaking of clothing, I've been running into an issue in my current fortress that I cannot figure out. I've had several goblins attack my fortress, so I've gathered a lot of extra clothing and armor. However, my dwarves will not pick up a few of the items for some reason, so they are strewn around the map. A few are even in my entry hall, and I wish I could get rid of them. They are not forbidden, and evening selecting them for dumping does nothing. Any idea what could be going on?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:29 AM   #1104
Reelya
Colonist

Clothes already ROTS since DF 2010. So your dwarves will already end up naked after enough play time. Now, you can dress them in new clothes as of this update. But if you ignore this, it's the same old game (nude dwarves having lost all their clothes after about 8 years per fortress).

So, to repeat, dwarves ALREADY ended up naked given enough years, but were previously too dumb to get new clothes. The only change is making them smart enough to go get new clothes, and deleting the ownership tags on dropped clothes so it doesn't leave a permanent mess.

Last edited by Reelya; 03-23-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #1105
MagGnome

Oh! That makes a lot more sense. Thanks for clarifying. I'll just let them run around naked.

Any idea why they won't pick up those few random articles of clothing I mentioned earlier? There were also a few gems and some logs they wouldn't touch. None of these items were forbidden, but they just sat there. A few were eventually "stolen" by rhesus macaques.

Could it be that someone claimed these items and thus no one would put them in storage?

Last edited by MagGnome; 03-23-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:45 AM   #1106
Reelya
Colonist

This is from the bugtracker for Dwarf Fortress :-

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ma...ew.php?id=2481

Quote:
Fixed in Version 0.34.06
Summary 0002481: Dwarves will claim new clothes when theirs is worn (xClothesx) but not wear it
Description Dwarves that claim clothes because their clothes are xClothesx won't drop theirs and grab the new ones, but claim both of them, keeping the new clothes from being hauled or dumped or moved anyway. May be put into cabinet if they have a room, have not tried.
Steps To Reproduce Get a fort to the point where dwarves have worn clothing, make some new clothes. Watch as they claim it and your clothier shop clutters up.
Sounds like your problem, and it's fixed by the latest update. They were claiming the clothes to replace the worn clothes they're wearing. With the new fix, they're supposed to put the old clothes in the rubbish pile and go get the new ones.

DFHack has an ownership deletion utility, which is for fixing the owned clothes bug in previous versions.

Last edited by Reelya; 03-23-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #1107
MagGnome

What's strange is it's not just clothes that they won't touch. There were also a few logs, some gems, and a bracelet, among other things. Those were all eventually stolen by monkeys. I'll bet the clothes are laying around because of that bug though. I'm glad it's finally fixed!

I'm also glad he finally overhauled the animal training system.

Now someone needs to update the Wiki, as a good portion of the DF2012 entries are blank. That would make me a happy camper.
Old 03-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #1108
Reelya
Colonist

did you check the "o"rders to make sure they had collect outside stuff on? It's off by default and you have to turn it on.

Just use the 2010 wiki, 99.99% is the same.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:09 PM   #1109
MagGnome

Yeah, I have that turned on.

I just can't catch a break with these caravans. First a human caravan arrived at the same time as a goblin invasion, and then the dwarven caravan triggered a goblin ambush. Now the elven caravan has arrived along with this:

I've sounded the alarm. Everyone is inside except one dwarf who is nearing the entry hall. I'm not sure if the roc will be caught in my traps or if it is too large or can even fly over them. I'm constructing a small wall to keep it from descending below the first level. Those elves are doomed, sadly. Yet another caravan chased away or destroyed. It truly is a tough world.

I don't think I will ever be able to trade again.

I have 186 dwarves, my largest fortress ever. I hope we survive!
Old 03-23-2012, 04:15 PM   #1110
MagGnome

Well damn. It flew right down into my fortress from my animal pen. I'd forgotten about that entrance. -_-

Edit - THE ROC IS DEAD!

It slaughtered many animals, the rest fled down into my dining room, creating mass havoc. I decided to go all out and sent my soldiers in to deal with it. I feared the worst, as they aren't all that well trained yet.

I can hardly believe it! All hail the recruit Avuz Stakudkikrost! He threw a spear right into the roc's head, then jumped up and twisted the spear until it ripped into the brain, rendering the roc unconcious. The fortress lives!

Now I have a giant mess to clean up.

Last edited by MagGnome; 03-23-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #1111
jjohnson1
Colonist

I've gotten back into DF and I've got a few complaints and a few questions.
Complaints:
1) why are all my dwarves children becoming farmers? I've got 37 of them now.
2) why didn't the guy making the game add in an easier alert/kill that goblin standing over there system?
3) why do the caravans alway bring me clay when I tell them to bring coke?

Questions:
1) do caravans still blame me if they get killed by goblin sieges and the like?
2) is there any way to pasture my cattle below ground where the local dragon won't eat them?
3) how in the heck do I make a lava smelter and forge?
4) is there any good way to get trees after you log the whole map?
5) why won't my bookkeeper keep records of anything even though he has an office?

Now I don't have a small fortress, I'm up to 107 dwarves, the eat mountains of fat helmets and drink rivers of booze, at least I have 37 farmers...
jjohnson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:24 PM   #1112
BrassGecko
Irrelephant x1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnson1 View Post
Complaints:
Don't children help pick crops sometimes? That probably gives them some basic farming skill when they grow up and can have a profession. Just assign them where you want them and they'll change soon enough, unless I'm guessing wrong here.
BrassGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #1113
Reelya
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjohnson1 View Post
Complaints:
2) why didn't the guy making the game add in an easier alert/kill that goblin standing over there system?
3) why do the caravans alway bring me clay when I tell them to bring coke?

Questions:
1) do caravans still blame me if they get killed by goblin sieges and the like?
2) is there any way to pasture my cattle below ground where the local dragon won't eat them?
3) how in the heck do I make a lava smelter and forge?
4) is there any good way to get trees after you log the whole map?
5) why won't my bookkeeper keep records of anything even though he has an office?

Now I don't have a small fortress, I'm up to 107 dwarves, the eat mountains of fat helmets and drink rivers of booze, at least I have 37 farmers...
Complaint's :-

1. In the 'o'rders menu there's an option "all dwarves harvest". turn this off to focus skill ups on your farmers. Children do it because they have little other work. Without cheating, kids will only harvest farm crops or unbuild walls / floors etc.

2. Get used to the burrow / alert system key combos, doesn't take long to put all civilian dwarves into safety then. Create a burrow, then 'm'->'a' and assign the burrow to an alert level + set the alert.

3. They usually bring a little clay anyway, don't know why you're not getting coke.

Questions :-

1. Yup, all they know is their buddies didn't make it home.

2. Find an underground cavern and fungus/moss will grow in underground soils and muddied rock areas. You can make pastures there.

3. find the lava, create lava piping under where you want the forges, punch a 1x1 channel where you want the workshop, most magma workshops have their "block" square in the top-middle, except the forge which has blocks on left and right, you only need 1 accessible magma square under the workshop, and putting the impassable tile there stops fire imps popping out.

4. the cavern popping, and digging out large areas of sand/soil, or mining a whole level and flooding / draining it. (technically only needs level 1/7 water, aim for 2/7 to get full coverage). Mushroom trees will grow there.

5. make sure you go into the 's'ettings for bookeeper in the 'n'oble screen and up the precision to highest or second highest.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:27 PM   #1114
MagGnome

It's also very easy to order the death of a goblin or other enemy. Once you have a squad set up (using the military screen) press "s" to bring up the squad orders menu, select the squad, press kill, and select a target.

Keep in mind that clear-cutting the overland of trees will tick off the elves and may cause them to invade. At least it was that way in older versions, I'm not sure if that is still the case or not.

Edit - The Wiki stopped mentioning the consequences of cutting too many trees after the 40d version of DF, so perhaps the Elves no longer care how many trees you cut?

Last edited by MagGnome; 03-24-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:39 PM   #1115
Reelya
Colonist

since at least DF2010 elves don't send diplomats, and it seems hard to annoy them enough for a war, I modded in a copy of elves but made the copy hostile so i get both elf trader and elf attackers
Old 03-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #1116
jjohnson1
Colonist

ok seems my last post didnt post so...

how do i free a dwarf froma cage, he walked over the trap while a badger was chasing him and ...well....he is now cell mates with an angry badger and some goblins.

second, is there any way to stop my civilians from wandering outside durring a siege, ive forbidden picking up loot from corpses and dropped items and the like, but they still try to stream outside any time i open the darned gates.

third, i made an underground reservoir for water near my hospital, its connected to the surface brook via a tunnel and such, whats the best way to keep swimming enemies outside and my dwarves inside, they all seem to like that tunnel rather than my main gate now.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:26 PM   #1117
Kielaran
Needs to NaNo

You can set up a burrow that encompasses everything underground and set dwarves to the burrow so they will not leave it.

As for the water thing, I think that you can set up a gate over it so that you can get water from it but nothing can get through. I have never done that before though.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #1118
MagGnome

Set up a burrow that encompasses all safe areas of your fort, as Kielaran said. You can then go into the military (m) screen and set up an alert that will limit all non-military dwarves to that burrow whenever that alert is activated. This is very useful during sieges.

As for the water, you will have to put a grate over the tunnel to keep enemies out. Keep in mind that creatures with the "building destroyer" trait will be able to break down grates.

To free your dwarf from that cage, you need to "build" the cage, then select the cage with "q" and release the dwarf.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:42 PM   #1119
jjohnson1
Colonist

ok, so right after i posted the above questions i went back to my game. immediately after unpausing my game my silver bridge that spans the canyon i built my fortress into got destroyed...by a child...while my mason was on the far side....trading with the traders that were about to leave...with my trade dwarf on the opposite side from the depot....

needless to say the caged dwarf was just then the least of my concerns. and as if that wasn't enough, about 10 seconds after the bridge went down with a ton of my dwarves on the far side, trapped out in the open, here came the goblin siege, and the tantrum spiral because the little idiot child that destroyed the bridge fell to his death....sometimes i hate DF...
Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 PM   #1120
BrassGecko
Irrelephant x1k

Sounds like you would have been fine, too, if it hadn't been for that meddling kid!
BrassGecko is offline   Reply With Quote