welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 03-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #81
Libuke
Elephant Bug

Got around to downloading it and playing a little bit today and had a good time. Just played TDM to get the hang of skiing and stuff like that. Still need to figure out a key binding set up I like though I think.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #82
Dahzer the Cosmic Fool
Forever da fool...

well i havent played this in a long while until a few days ago and damn im enjoying it again.... we definately need to get a big group together, and what voice are we using again vent? ts3?

I'm still waiting for Dahzer the Cosmic Fool to spew some apocalyptic shit, speaking in (internet) tongues and such.
xfire: dahzer Steam: dahzer
Dahzer the Cosmic Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:37 AM   #83
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Hi-Rez has announced an official launch date of April 12. All progress made in the beta will carry over to the full release.
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #84
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

Right now, Tribes Ascend sits around an 8/10 for me. I'm having lots of fun, and I don't regret paying $50 for the upper tier pack, but there's some things that bug me.

1. CTF is too small. T2's 64-player CTF battles felt truly epic, but TA's player count is too low to reproduce that feel.
2. Vehicles are basically non-existent. You won't see them at all for the first several minutes of gameplay because it takes time to accumulate those credits, but those credits can be used for the more immediately satisfying and useful Tactical Strike. Plus, where the hell is the bomber?
3. I hate the flag in TDM. If you have an objective in the game, it's no longer TDM. It's hard to get a decent duel going if your opponent is prone to turning tail and chasing a flag.
4. Arena mode is really awesome, and it's where I've been spending most my time. But it only has two maps, and both are on flat structures. A real Tribes duel needs terrain to feel satisfying.
5. Health regenerates too fast. It's a very simple affair to jet away from a duel like a chicken and let your health accumulate again.
Current Projects

Last edited by Reverant; 03-09-2012 at 09:08 PM. Reason: weird ass typos
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #85
diablopath

I find more duels in CTF than I do anywhere else. Lots of times I'll be going through the midfield, and I'll shoot at anything I pass. If somebody else stops, I'll oblige them and we engage. It's really fun, never gets old.

For me, the player count is fine, because my Tribes experience was on the PS2, which until the end, was limited at 8v8 games. We made it work and it was a lot of fun.

I don't like the fact that vehicles cost so much, especially when they're so easily destroyed.

I don't like the fact we don't have a Bomber. Or a transport.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #86
LordDon
Terrible Yet Refined

Ok, this is just amazing:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandabo View Post
You can take my anus when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
LordDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:20 PM   #87
Lint of Death
Dustbunny of Doom

That's probably the greatest thing I will have seen all week, and Jon Stewart referenced Leeroy Jenkins on Wednesday.
Lint of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #88
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

New patch is out, including a new CTF map (Sunstar) and an revised map put back in rotation (Temple Ruins). Full patch notes under the tags.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #89
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

Will they EVER add more Arena maps? My favorite mode needs some loving.
Current Projects
Old 03-20-2012, 08:31 AM   #90
Lint of Death
Dustbunny of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverant View Post
Will they EVER add more Arena maps? My favorite mode needs some loving.
Haha, they've only had maybe 2 patches since Arena debuted? What they really need are friends list improvements to make Arena truly playable with friends. If I weren't sucked into ME3 and such right now I would definitely be playing a lot of Arena solo anyway.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #91
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

The new map is small. I spawned practically right on top of the enemy base, and my base at the same time. It was very different from what I expect from Tribes maps. Not bad, but different.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:24 PM   #92
Spectre-7
A dandy guy in space...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFinger View Post
The Impact Nitron grenade will force you to drop the flag if it is used for self-damage.
Awww... but it was so fun tossing an Impact Nitron at the flag a quarter second before grabbing it. Combined with the Potential Energy, it made me very difficult to chase even on a llama-grab.

In all seriousness, there are a lot of good changes listed in there. Looking forward to testing it out.
When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."
Spectre-7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:12 PM   #93
Spectre-7
A dandy guy in space...

If someone even half-coordinated uses it, the sniper rifle ruins this game.
When some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac grabs your neck, taps the back of your favorite head up against the barroom wall, and he looks you crooked in the eye and he asks you if ya paid your dues, you just stare that big sucker right back in the eye, and you remember what ol' Jack Burton always says at a time like that: "Have ya paid your dues, Jack?" "Yessir, the check is in the mail."
Spectre-7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #94
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

New "Smoke & Dagger" update went live today. 3 new weapons and 2 new skins for the Infiltrator, plus a new arena map (Walled In).

The full changelog

Quote:
Major Highlights

Three new weapons and two new skins have been added to the Infiltrator class. Watch the Cloak & Dagger Update Video for more.
A new Arena map, Walled In, has been added to the Quick Play rotation.
Several additional HUD features have been implemented, including:
Flag status (who is carrying the flag and timer until flag reset).
Friend Notifications when players come online/go offline.

Weapon/Balance Items

Three new weapons added for Infiltrator
Jackal: The Jackal fires up to three rounds that stick to any surface, and are remote triggered for detonation.
Throwing Knives: Throwing Knives deal impressive damage on a direct hit, and have a small splash damage radius.
Smoke Grenade: Instantly vanish without waiting the normal reveal time from taking damage or firing a weapon. In addition, remain in stealth for 2 seconds even if you take damage. Firing a weapon will still break stealth.
Adjusted visual style on Infiltrator's Prism Mines to be more in line with other mines and harder to detect at long range.
Fixed an issue where Shrike's were not taking damage from bullet projectiles at certain angles and locations.
Added improved proximity checking for deployables to prevent the Doombringer's force field from covering the flag when placed at certain angles and locations.
Pathfinder's Bolt Launcher projectile now detonates after 6 seconds of flight, reduced to match that of the Heavy Bolt Launcher and Spinfusor type weapons.
Direct-hit damage bonus reduced by roughly 4% on Pathfinder's Bolt launcher.
Increased knock-back from Pathfinder's Light Spinfusor by approx. 10% (now matches the Bolt Launcher).
Increased damage fall-off on Sentinel's BXT1 Sniper Rifle. Falloff range is 33% more aggressive, and the maximum falloff amount was increased 5%.
Improved the targeting of Call-In's when targeting terrain.

Additional Items

If a player jump/jets while already going faster in the Z axis than the jump would set, the jump no longer resets the Z-axis velocity. This fixes an issue in which a jump/jet could slow your momentum unintentionally.
Additional work has been done to eliminate some "deadstops" while skiing/jetting. Please report any remaining situations in which you stop movement suddenly and unexpectedly while skiing.
The current match is now hidden from the scoreboard when players are at the Team Selection screen. A future patch will hide additional information.
A variety of cleanups have been made to several maps.
Implemented a change intended to fix a situation in which hit/damage numbers would be delayed in appearing. Please report if you still see this issue..
Fixed an issue that would cause the flag to fall through the world in some conditions.
Fixed an issue where the Brute's Nova Colt could lose texture resolution at high speeds
A variety of backend server work has been done in preparation for future functionality.

Known Issues

Damage numbers from your turret may appear over reticule where not expected.
I haven't tried the new map yet, but I hope to later. I wonder if this means they're going to do major updates one class at a time, sort of how TF2 does them. That could be cool, but I guarantee there will be a zillion Infiltrators running around today.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #95
Lint of Death
Dustbunny of Doom

That's a sweet update, I'm just disappointed that the Infiltrator stuff is so pricey. The best 'deal' (both skins and all 3 weapons) is nearly $20 I think. The game's technically still a beta, and it's already costing so much to get what little premium-exclusive content there is.

Edit: I'm also wondering how those skins facilitate easy friend-or-foe identification, as the Infiltrator is already designed to confuse those systems somewhat.

Last edited by Lint of Death; 03-27-2012 at 08:28 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #96
Acidpoptart
Yum.

I hope you are all still playing this! I am loving it. Name is Acidpoptart in game.
Acidpoptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:11 PM   #97
Lint of Death
Dustbunny of Doom

I know I am!
Old 04-14-2012, 06:44 AM   #98
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

I am too.

Got to play Raindance yesterday! As a purist, I'm slightly disappointed. One thing we tend to forget about Tribes 1 is that the scale was extremely small. The view distance was very limited, and so everything was a lot closer together than in the following games. I think the scale of this Raindance is around 3x the original, meaning there's just a lot more empty space. Also, no rocket turrets! Come on...

Edit: My account name is chirz but my name in the game is Reverant. I'm not sure which you need to add someone as a friend. Anyone should feel free to hit me up in-game sometime!
Current Projects

Last edited by Reverant; 04-17-2012 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:47 AM   #99
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

The "Raid & Pillage" update goes live today adding 2 new skins and 3 new weapons for the Raider.

Quote:
Major Highlights

Three new weapons and two new skins have been added to the Raider class.
Players may now setup Custom Servers from inside the game menu system. Custom servers are private “rooms” for you to rent and play Tribes: Ascend in. Custom servers can be password protected. The sever administrator can choose from scores of custom rulesets to help tailor the play experience as desired.
A new Capture and Hold map has been added to the Quick Play rotation (Night Drydock).
Several improvements to player movement in networked games have been implemented. This eliminates some of the “jerkiness” while moving within the game, especially when playing at high ping.

Weapon/Balance Items

Added 3 new weapons for the Raider class:
Plasma Gun: A flexible weapon, the Plasma Gun fires massive spheres of plasma that explode on contact, with excellent rate of fire.
NJ5-B SMG: The NJ5-B has a slower rate of fire than its predecessor, but deals more damage per hit. It can also fire while in scope.
Cluster Grenade: The cluster grenade breaks apart into several smaller bomblets on detonation, each exploding for additional damage.
Add two new skins to the Raider class (Griever and Mercenary).
Increased damage on the Infiltrator’s Prism Mines by roughly 14%.
Increased damage on the Brute’s Light Sticky Grenade by 10%.
Increased damage on the Doombringer’s Heavy Bolt Launcher by roughly 7%.
Increased Technician’s Sparrow Pistol clip size by 2, adjusted starting ammo to 144.
Call-ins will no longer fully reset when being moved too quickly or hitting an invalid target location. Instead they will lose build-up time.

Custom Server Notes

Read the Custom Server FAQ.
All players may create their own custom servers under PLAY NOW | CUSTOM SERVERS | MANAGE SERVERS on the main menu.
In order to activate a custom server, you must ADD RENTAL TIME using gold. You can add additional time in 10-Day, 30-Day and 90-Day buckets.
All Custom Servers are assigned to a specific server region. You may change the assigned region at any time through the Custom Server configuration menus. The Custom Servers use the same pooled/virtual server infrastructure that is used for Quick Matches. So when a match is spun up on your Custom Server, it is done so from the shared pool of server resources available in the specific server region you chose upon server setup.
As the owner of a custom server, you may always administer your server. You may also set an ADMIN PASSWORD that other users can use to gain access to some (but not all) administrative features of your custom server.
XP and Badge Rewards
Players earn their normal Base XP on non-password protected servers.
Bonus XP is only awarded on Custom Servers when at least 6 players have been on the server at some point during a match.
No XP is awarded on custom servers that require a password.
Badges, Statistics and First Win of the Day are disabled on Custom Servers (so you do not earn progress toward badges while playing on Custom Servers).

Additional Items

Match-making and backfilling logic has been improved to make it easier to get into matches with your friends (additional improvements planned for future releases).
An issue where weapons could dry-fire if fired immediately after switching has been fixed.
Perks are visually represented as implant chips within the main menu.
Fixed an issue where players could sometimes appear to be jetpacking after a death.
Fixed an issue where the Infiltrator’s Jackal would not perform an inactive reload if all of the rounds had been detonated and if the player switched weapons before the reload completed.
Fixed an issue where the first-person weapon and body and mesh could jolt and pop while jetpacking.
Fixed issues with the Determination perk not working properly.
Fixed an issue where mines were being activated by friendlies in custom servers with friendly fire enabled.
Fixed an issue where the Brute's Nova Colt and Sentinel's Nova Blaster could fire an extra shot if the clip was emptied rapidly.
Reworked a bit of the spawn point rotation logic by fixing an issue where players would not respawn at certain spawn points.
Fixed an issue where the announcer voices would sometimes abruptly cut out.
Reworked spawn locations for Capture and Hold maps so that base-owned spawn locations are slightly further away from the captured base.
The flagstand on CTF Temple Ruins has been moved back to its original position.
Vehicles will now have proper marker coloring if a friend is in the vehicle.
Fixed an issue where throwing a grenade and then meleeing (or vice versa) would cause you to throw an extra grenade or melee again.
Fixed an issue where mines were able to be pushed around by vehicles, this was visual-only and had no affect on gameplay.
Fixed an issue where player deployables weren’t able to be properly placed in certain situations, resulting in ammo consumption when it wasn’t deployed.
Resolved an issue on Sunstar where players could get outside the map boundary.
The servers will be down for a few hours while the update is pushed.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:26 AM   #100
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

Plasma gun, eh? Almost forgot about that one. That's real staple of the original games.

These constant updates for new guns makes me wish I could refund my gold. I honestly hadn't expected to see all these new weapons drop when I used it all up in the beta. I'm not sure if they added that firing range mode that lets you test weapons yet, but I certainly didn't have it back then. I had to blow real money to find out how those weapons operated.

The more I think about it, the more it irritates me. I'm a good player, and I have VIP and the exp boost, but it still takes a lot of playing to unlock a single weapon. I feel like unlocking weapons is like paying for talent points in an MMO, and instead of respeccing you pay more money to unlock the talents you wanted.
Current Projects