Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 03-16-2012, 03:46 PM   #21
DarkDay
Colonist

Never played in a true mmo, this world and the devs would have me in an instant
Old 03-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #22
Narradisall
Cookies

Meh, it's more pessimism since anytime anyone adds MMO onto something the dev seems to instantly go into 'lets make it a grindfest! That'll keep em playing' mode.

Don't get me wrong, some dont, but I mean the last mmo I tried that didn't was Star Trek Online, and that died on the sub basis pretty quick since the content lasted a month, two at max.

Maybe it'll be different, but history keeps repeating with MMO's, so I reserve the right not to be a single bit surprised when it churns out another standard mmo.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #23
Ghostbear
Mechwarrior

HAH! I love that you use my chef picture in the article.
Ghostbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #24
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasson_ View Post
You all are turning a blind eye to the potential good in this.

The OP also does not mention that the game would be set during the "second era". It would be a familiar yet profoundly different from the games people are used to. There would be races and lands that no longer exist in skyrim timeline and undoubtedly...almost all the areas previously visited by the games would be accessible, as well as new areas.
you mean the second era wasn't mentioned...except for the mention and a link to the Second Era entry on the wiki .
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #25
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbear View Post
HAH! I love that you use my chef picture in the article.
That may be my all-time favorite screenshot
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:38 PM   #26
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
If you are a fan of the games at all, you would see the clear appeal in being able to access the entire known world of Tamriel (scaled up for scope) and in a radically different and interesting timeline all in one game, and being able to do so with friends.

In one way or another, this is how I see this announcement. I like the setting.

I could give a fuck about "lorderon" and all of WoW's cartoony stylization. But to revisit Marrowind before Red Mountain erupted and blighted the land, before the ghost gate was setup. That I can get behind.
This is a good point. I have wanted a game where you could go anywhere in Tamriel whenever you wanted for years. I just hate the pay-to-play structure new MMO's have. If it was F2P right out of the gate? I would buy it day one.

Xbox Live: Wolvie 619

PSN: Wolvie_619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #27
Hawkzombie
The Lord of Shadow

Send a message via AIM to Hawkzombie
Quote:
I could give a fuck about "lorderon" and all of WoW's cartoony stylization. But to revisit Marrowind before Red Mountain erupted and blighted the land, before the ghost gate was setup. That I can get behind.
..Um...

PSN/Steam ID - JaynesHat/Hawkzombie

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits
Hawkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #28
carnage11
BSL-4 Extreme Biohazard

My vote is a nay. For reasons already mentioned.
Now Playing :
Assassin's Creed : Reveltaions
carnage11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #29
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkzombie View Post
..Um...
Um...you realize that Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind takes place after the events he described?
Old 03-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #30
Wasson_
The Last Starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagGnome View Post
Um...you realize that Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind takes place after the events he described?
And then hawkzombie was all like
Old 03-17-2012, 09:53 AM   #31
MagGnome

Apparently he didn't play the game.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:35 PM   #32
Hawkzombie
The Lord of Shadow

I thought the red mountain exploded after Oblivion but before Skyrim? Hence why all the dark elves were in Skyrim to begin with?

I assumed the Ghost Gate was the part before Morrowind.

EDIT: And while I owned it for the XBox...no I did not play it

EDIT EDIT: Huh...apparently I have no idea wtf I'm talking about. I could have sworn all the Dark Elves in Skyrim were complaining like the Red Mountain erupted again recently (within the last 70-100 years)

EDIT EDIT EDIT: BAM! I WAS RIGHT!

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits

Last edited by Hawkzombie; 03-17-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:58 PM   #33
Cit Phil Cit
Clockwork Horror

I don't see how you can translate the Elder Scrolls/Fallout experience in an MMO setting: I can steal and take all kinds of crap, all the time. Accumulating stuff and trying to find a place for it - and negotiating with my weight limit is a part of the experience - hoofing a dead body down a hill, filled with an improbable amount of loot is part of the experience. If you remove it, how, besides visually is the experience similar?

If it was like Ultima Online, where it was no-holds barred outside of the cities and insta-death guards in safe zones - that might work, for its pure 'anything goes' spirit the game does have.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #34
Shieldmaiden
Fights With Panache

The only thing that would get me interested in this is if they decided to throw out all the EQ-derived stuff that dominates the MMO market today and actually make an open world, sandbox MMO.

AAAIIIIIAAAAAAAAHH, AHH!
Shieldmaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 07:11 PM   #35
Wasson_
The Last Starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkzombie View Post
I thought the red mountain exploded after Oblivion but before Skyrim? Hence why all the dark elves were in Skyrim to begin with?

I assumed the Ghost Gate was the part before Morrowind.

EDIT: And while I owned it for the XBox...no I did not play it

EDIT EDIT: Huh...apparently I have no idea wtf I'm talking about. I could have sworn all the Dark Elves in Skyrim were complaining like the Red Mountain erupted again recently (within the last 70-100 years)

EDIT EDIT EDIT: BAM! I WAS RIGHT!
right about what the second eruption? yeah...it's heavily implied in skyrim, especially if you talk to the dunmer in the grey quarter of Windhelm. I found it an interesting coincidence that one of the farms there was maintained by descendants from House Hlaalu, the first house I joined...as they were least hostile towards outlanders.

But yeah, Red Mountain is a very significant location in Tamriel.
It First erupts back in the day all relating back to the Dwarves attempting to use the Heart of Lorkhan to make a battle-giant thingy. the Dunmer ancestors were like, "hey Dwemer...don't be rapin the heart of the creator". Huge war breaks out, Dwarves almost get it working...turn it on. they all Vanish, Red Mountain erupts, Marrowind changed forever.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #36
bean
Banned

The impressive thing about The Elder Scrolls is how the player impacts this amazing world, so to add more players in the mix would rob it of that magic. Either they'd have to lower the impact player's have and make their relationships with NPCs less dynamic, or they'd create an unplayable chaotic mess that would amount to the same thing.
bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #37
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJonno View Post
The only thing that would get me interested in this is if they decided to throw out all the EQ-derived stuff that dominates the MMO market today and actually make an open world, sandbox MMO.
I'd be OK with a Diablo style setup. The game would be multi-player, but have a feel and style of the SP games. The game would scale difficulty by the amount if people working together. That way people couldn't cheese bosses and quests.

Xbox Live: Wolvie 619

PSN: Wolvie_619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #38
Hawkzombie
The Lord of Shadow

Yeah, my problem was I had no idea it erupted a FIRST time. So at least I wasn't going crazy about the Dark Elves and Skyrim

Old 03-17-2012, 11:50 PM   #39
MagGnome

This is a terrible idea, so of course it's going to happen.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #40
SilentScreams
Double Rainbow?!

The only way this would ever get my interest is if they made it an Ultima Online style sandbox instead of the bog standard level treadmill MMO experience. The skill system in TES isn't dissimilar to the Ultima Online one and the worlds share the trait of being more suited to a sandbox than a traditional MMO.
By doing it that way, they would be playing to the strengths of TES while also offering us something different, since the UO formula hasn't been done hundreds of times.
SilentScreams is offline   Reply With Quote