maharahaj
Humanity is the Devil

Send a message via AIM to maharahaj
Give me this game already!
maharahaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #23
bryan
Colonist

PVP was never balanced in D2 anyway, I think they have a huge task ahead of them to balance it in D3.
bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #24
J Arcane
Bedroom Wall Press

To be honest, I loled, but I also didn't think much of PvP in the old Diablos either. Too dependent on gear farming and too much cheating. It was basically rape or be raped and little else. The few people I've met who loved it were usually the handful of cheating arseholes doing the raping.

Arcana Rising - An Urban Fantasy Roleplaying Game, powered by Hulks and Horrors.
Hulks and Horrors - A Sci-Fi Roleplaying game of Exploration and Dungeon Adventure
Heaven's Shadow - A Roleplaying Game of Faith and Assassination
J Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:33 AM   #25
Wasson_
The Last Starfighter

there's lots of stellar stuff on the horizon for this fall...

they really should aim for an early / mid summer release, even people looking for something to kill time who aren't dioablophiles would probably jump all over it...because we all know it's going to be a damn fine game.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:01 AM   #26
CES
Colonist

Summer is typically the slow time for game releases though, mostly because it's the time for big movie releases. That said, Diablo has a hardcore (very, very hardcore) fanbase who will buy it anyway but since it's much less casual than WoW, I don't see it selling well at that time. Realistically, I'm thinking September or October and absolutely not before July (it's still not feature complete from the sounds of it then you have final QA and manufacturing the game and the extra stuff that comes with a CE)
CES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:46 AM   #27
SilentScreams
Double Rainbow?!

Actually I think it's going to sell amazingly well. Most of the WoW fanbase seems quite interested in Diablo 3, which in itself guarantees a massive hit. Add to that 10 years of anticipation from the Diablo 2 fans and you have yourself a winner.

As for this news...it's not really news. They've always been clear about PvP being way down on their list of priorities and a vocal minority amongst the community isn't going to change that. 95% of Diablo fans will be more than happy to wait for the free PvP patch and most probably won't even play it when it hits.
I personally only dabbled with PvP in Diablo 2. It was pretty fun though and more tactical than people give it credit for. Still, I was never that interested in Diablo 3 PvP. Blizzard have flat out said that they won't be going out of their way to balance it at the expense of the PvE game, so it's never going to be a truly competitive arena.
SilentScreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #28
Deadend
Done

Send a message via AIM to Deadend
I never really got why anyone would want to play a PVP game using the diablo control scheme, as it seems terribly suited to fighting single fast moving targets that have low HP but high output... which is a description of every class, even the Barbarian puts out way more damage than they can take.

Even though I wouldn't mind if Blizzard DOTA used Diablo 3 as a base.
Deadend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #29
ClannerDelta
Lazzaloqu Devotee

The PvP was actually pretty fun. You had your cheaters, but there were plenty of fun fights.

It got much better with 2v2's and 3v3's.

Not balanced by any means, but fun and extreme fast paced. As said before, matches were decided in split seconds unless you were a full shield spec'd Paladin.
ClannerDelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #30
bryan
Colonist

Matches decided in split seconds sounds decidedly boring.
bryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:52 PM   #31
Uatu
Go fuck yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan View Post
PVP was never balanced in D2 anyway, I think they have a huge task ahead of them to balance it in D3.
The lead designer has mentioned multiple times that is a tacked on mode that is not suitable for an e-sport, as winning will be more dependent on the make-up of the team as opposed to builds and balance. The builds are specifically made for the campaign and not tweaked for PvP. This is more than likely why they are willing to release it without the mode. I would assume it has more to do with technical stuff and assets as opposed to tweaking the builds.

Like I said, this is good news because they know they have a polished campaign and are probably trying to meet a hard date at the expense of a lesser mode.
Uatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:39 AM   #32
Narradisall
Cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan View Post
Matches decided in split seconds sounds decidedly boring.
It was actually more akin to Starcraft 2, in the sense that you misclicked and were screwed. I would say they were only decided in split seconds if you were slow, or both charged each other.

I used to teleport around trying to freeze the fuckers chasing me, had some good fun in PVP, although I rarely engaged in it.

PvE is where it's at in Diablo for me.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:19 AM   #33
PathMaster
My life for Aiur!

May 15th it looks like.