welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 03-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #201
JayK47
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Asylum View Post
Someone in that thread posted this graphic in defense of Day One DLC. I thought it was worth posting, although you can certainly disagree if you like.

As you can imagine, I disagree. Why? History. DLC is new. Some games had expansion packs. Many did not. Devs would move on to new games while supporting the current core games. UT for example, got all kinds of free mappacks. DLC is just a way to keep more people busy and make more money. Most DLC is garbage, and by no means am I required to buy it. But you can tell in many cases they do not assign the A team to DLC. I feel like we are paying for gaming scraps most of the time.

In the case of ME3, it sounds like cut content to meet a deadline. A deadline that could have been delayed until the game was finished. Thanks to the worst ending in gaming memory, the DLC takes a back seat. But they are both a product of rushing a game out to meet a deadline to satisfy EA fat cats. Neither should have happened. As I played ME3, I really got the feeling the day one DLC was integral to the core game and should not have ever been considered for DLC, day one or otherwise. ME3 is a dreadful mess of a game. Anybody defending it should be ashamed. If we do not let them know this is inappropriate, we will only see more and more of this.
JayK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:48 AM   #202
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

Actually From Ashes, by all definition, wasn't very good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #203
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World

I liked it. The mission itself wasn't spectacular, but the character had a lot of interesting conversations and information to offer, especially if you bring him along on certain missions. I liked seeing him interact with my other crew members, especially Liara.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:24 AM   #204
Narradisall
Cookies

It was no Shadowbroker though. Certainly not worth the cost imo.

But then I didn't like Zaeed either, but that was a 'new copy' code (I know MP is the incentive this time).

It's not terrible, but not worth the money, and not worth the rush to by. Wait for a deal and a replay.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:30 AM   #205
Hotcod
Warm fish smells funny

The major issue I have with it is that to be DLC that character couldn't be integral and by not making that character integral they pretty much just let him go to waste. He should have been part of the game and he should have been much more meaningful to the main plot. To relegate him to the side lines as just another soldier who has no real impact on the plot when his race are one of it's main plot points is mind numbingly stupid.

As for that chart, this DLCs production was underway with enough time to have him as a squad member on the gold disk. Given that the rumours are the endings are as crappy as they are due to time and budget constraints then what should have happened is simple. The muiltpalyer and From Ashes should have been dropped to be picked up as future DLC and the end of the game should have been finished correctly. Use From Ashes in combo with the muitplayer DLC to give players a reason to come back to the game with a "I want extra stuff for my second play so I may pick up what ever other DLC has come out to this time".

If it comes out that Bioware was wasting time and money on this pretty silly DLC and muitiplayer when they where having problems creating the ending they wanted... I'm not going to be a happy man.
Hotcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:39 AM   #206
Narradisall
Cookies

Hotcod, all that was on the disc seems to have been the character model, so it's not like it would have been something huge.

I imagine they didn't get in all the dialogue, the mission, etc on the gold disc.

I do agree though that for what should have been a 'Woah!' introduction, he did seem a bit half arsed and he didn't seem too important.

God I'm so looking forward to this ending given the drama.... Guess I'll find out this weekend.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:00 AM   #207
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World

Yeah, from a development perspective, designing a level, cinematics, and tons of dialogue probably eats up a lot more development time than making a functioning squad mate in combat.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:01 PM   #208
Narradisall
Cookies

Well from what I've seen of the 'evidence' was that the disc had the character model on it, and that was it.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:13 AM   #209
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

But was the incentive for PC gamers? I mean there is no such thing as the used market for PC games, is there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #210
Narradisall
Cookies

Yeah, it's called the pirate bay.