welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 03-08-2012, 06:25 AM   #81
Narradisall
Cookies

For every kid with the unreachable dreams they spout on about, there's the bullys who throw their toys in the dirt.

I'll look forward to seeing what the indie dev puts out. I think the type of lower budget games where different design mechanics are easier to pull off will be the right type of place for him. Plus if it's small scale the silly belief in the hype train won't happen.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:41 AM   #82
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJonno View Post
A lot of it seems to come down to this obnoxiously entitled sense of betrayal gamers display whenever a developer starts making games that are aimed at a wide audience instead of a tiny hardcore. Yes, Molyneux over promised and under delivered on Black & White and Fable. He also made it incredibly clear that Fable 2 was supposed to be an accessible game that as many people as possible could enjoy. It looks to me like he succeeded admirably.
Where are you getting this from? The people "hating" on Molyneux in this thread haven't even played his earlier games, at least for the most part. That seems like a rather odd leap of logic on your part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScreams View Post
People won't be happy until all game devs are passionless robots that set out with a bunch of bullet points and just churn out games that hit those and never aspire to be anything more.
I'll never understand gamers I don't think. If Molyneux tries something different, he gets slammed when it fails. When Activision churn out a reskinned CoD every other year, they get slammed for never trying anything new. You honestly can't win.

Anyway, rein it in, Molyneux. You're what we call a troublemaker around these parts. Put on your uniform, tuck in your shirt and don't speak until it's been cleared by our marketing department! We have here a set of rigid guidelines on how to make a game. Stick to them and you'll be safe. The industry will never move forward, but you'll be safe!
Don't you think you're being a wee bit dramatic?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:47 AM   #83
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

Peter Molyneux is the gaming world's MacBeth; vitim of his own ambition. And incompetence.

But mostly ambition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:55 AM   #84
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World

There is a middle ground between Peter Molyneux and the developers behind cookie-cutter, no-risk games: A developer that has grand, unique ideas, but doesn't talk about them publicly until he's positive he can deliver.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #85
TheFlyingOrc
Still Green In My Heart

Quote:
People won't be happy until all game devs are passionless robots that set out with a bunch of bullet points and just churn out games that hit those and never aspire to be anything more.
I'll never understand gamers I don't think. If Molyneux tries something different, he gets slammed when it fails. When Activision churn out a reskinned CoD every other year, they get slammed for never trying anything new. You honestly can't win.
Trying things that are obviously bad ideas doesn't make you an innovator, it makes you dumb. Molyneux gets distracted by what is interesting and forgets to think "will this lead to a fun game". Just look at how excited he was about the dog.

edit: And I literally don't care about the overhyping. I never get excited when he hypes things, because anyone with a basic understanding of game design can tell from miles away that the things he is excited about will not be fun. As I said earlier: Ideas are worthless in game design. It's understanding how to implement those ideas that's a useful skill, and I'd love any evidence that he understands this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDon View Post
I love you, Orc.

Last edited by TheFlyingOrc; 03-08-2012 at 09:24 AM.
TheFlyingOrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:16 AM   #86
CES
Colonist

Quote:
Call of Duty for all its ills has a refined gameplay system that a lot of people find fun. With Fable, Molyneux had all these great ideas from an artistic standpoint but absolutely shallow from a gameplay perspective (you can go from someone hating you to marrying them with two dances and a fetch quest in Fable III).

I like to think he's cut from the same cloth as Peter Gabriel: Fantastically creative guy but absolutely way off into space.
CES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #87
Narradisall
Cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddi900 View Post
Peter Molyneux is the gaming world's MacBeth; vitim of his own ambition. And incompetence.

But mostly ambition.
or incompetent ambition
Old 03-08-2012, 11:40 AM   #88
Narradisall
Cookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFlyingOrc View Post
Just look at how excited he was about the dog.
How was the dog a bad idea? I thought it worked well for it's function.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:04 PM   #89
Cit Phil Cit
Clockwork Horror

If they ever bothered to have ported all of the Fables, I would have bought them on Steam for cheap. That said the last game I bought was Black and White, which was disappointing - other than that, I haven't had any real contact with PM since Bullfrog.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #90
OldJadedGamer
Old and Jaded.

I can't say I've ever really cared for any game he's made.
OldJadedGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #91
OUX
Venn Master

Send a message via AIM to OUX
Quote:

Anyway, rein it in, Molyneux. You're what we call a troublemaker around these parts. Put on your uniform, tuck in your shirt and don't speak until it's been cleared by our marketing department! We have here a set of rigid guidelines on how to make a game. Stick to them and you'll be safe. The industry will never move forward, but you'll be safe!
It is not a matter of him trying new things and having them fail, it is a matter of him trying new things, having them fail and him walking off with my $60. I promise you if Toyota tried something new and it failed but they sold it anyway the people that bought it would be pissed. If anyone tries a new anything and it fails but they sell it anyway the consumer is going to be pissed. This isn't hate on an innovator, this is hate on a god damn snake oil salesman, and that is what he is. He talks up his products as miracle tonics but is just bottled vinegar and food coloring and he either knows it and is a dick, or doesn't and is just comfortably inept.

Last edited by OUX; 03-09-2012 at 12:13 PM.
OUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 05:10 AM   #92
tacitus
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cit Phil Cit View Post
If they ever bothered to have ported all of the Fables, I would have bought them on Steam for cheap. That said the last game I bought was Black and White, which was disappointing - other than that, I haven't had any real contact with PM since Bullfrog.
Pretty much my story - I remember loving Populous. I could not get into Black and White - primarily because the UI just did not work well and I got frustrated. Because the UI was so clunky, it really needed a pause button so you could find where to go. Thinking back on it I wonder if it would have been more suited to a controller. The real problem is that PM won't STFU about how genre expanding his newest game will be and when turns out merely adequate many are disappointed.
tacitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #93
Ox
Ultra-Honky 3000

How has no one yet made reference to the Fake Molyneux Twitter? You did not fail me, you failed yourselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkzombie View Post
Ok, so all this stuff about me being wiser, and doing better things for myself, etc....ignore that.
Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:46 AM   #94
TheFlyingOrc
Still Green In My Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox View Post
How has no one yet made reference to the Fake Molyneux Twitter? You did not fail me, you failed yourselves.
I have failed you. Peter Molydeux is awesome enough that he almost justifies Peter Molyneux's existence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDon View Post
I love you, Orc.
TheFlyingOrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #95
danhoo
My brother is Oscar Mike

I miss Magic Carpet. The first game, not the second. That is all I have to contribute.
danhoo is offline   Reply With Quote