Old 01-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #21
RandoM51
Peripheral Visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman's Dead View Post
Pistols at dawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentScreams View Post
Sounds good to me. All of the fun, none of the tedium. That's what you meant, right?

Yeah, that's what you meant.

I see what's going on here!
Old 01-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #22
Acidpoptart
Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
You had me at strategy cum management. Finally, a game for me.
I am glad I am not the only dirty bastard here that read it that way...
Acidpoptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:03 AM   #23
Wolvie
AKA JayBob

Quote:
Itís a strategy-cum-management game
I can't read that without giggling like a 5-year-old.

Xbox Live: Wolvie 619

PSN: Wolvie_619

Steam: Wolvie619
Wolvie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #24
Kielaran
Needs to NaNo

This looks really awesome. It does make me sad that it is as close to a true dwarf fortress game that doesn't require hours on the wiki to make any sense.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:18 AM   #25
SilentScreams
Double Rainbow?!

I've seen a few people in this thread say that about DF and honestly, it's really not that complicated. It'll take a couple of hours to get a solid grasp on the basics but from then on it's just a case of using the Wiki to occasionally fill in the blanks.
As long as you teach yourself enough to create a self sufficient fort (which isn't all that hard) then you've got plenty of time to play around and figure the more advanced stuff out.

Has anyone else started playing DF again because of this thread?
SilentScreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:37 AM   #26
MagGnome

Quote:
I've seen a few people in this thread say that about DF and honestly, it's really not that complicated. It'll take a couple of hours to get a solid grasp on the basics but from then on it's just a case of using the Wiki to occasionally fill in the blanks.
As long as you teach yourself enough to create a self sufficient fort (which isn't all that hard) then you've got plenty of time to play around and figure the more advanced stuff out.

Has anyone else started playing DF again because of this thread?
I've been sorely tempted to, although I haven't had the time yet. I'll probably be diving back in soon though. Feel free to resurrect the old thread with your tales of dwarven woe.
Old 01-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #27
Hawkzombie
The Lord of Shadow

Send a message via AIM to Hawkzombie
I tried once...but when I couldn't figure out how to defend myself and to get food...I gave up.

...And that was after 15 hrs of playing =\

PSN/Steam ID - JaynesHat/Hawkzombie

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits
Hawkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #28
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World

Quote:
The complexity along with the interface are roadblocks too frustrating to make it worthwhile for me, and I've tried to get into the game several times.

I'm willing to sacrifice some of the depth of Dwarf Fortress in a game that is easier to get into and control. Maybe this will be that game, maybe not.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:13 AM   #29
NotJeff
Seriously, I'm not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Asylum View Post
The complexity along with the interface are roadblocks too frustrating to make it worthwhile for me, and I've tried to get into the game several times.

Did you ever screw around with the walkthrough RandoM51 wrote? It helped me figure out the game enough to be comfortable enough to continue.
NotJeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:25 AM   #30
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World

I haven't followed Random's specifically, but I've followed a couple walkthroughs from the wiki.

If it were just a question of learning the ropes that would be one thing, but combined with a dislike of the interface and graphics, even with tile sets, just adds up to too much between me and what I like about the game.

I don't want to get into this whole topic again. Just wanted to chime in that I, too, am interested in a simpler, more accessible DF-type game. Minecraft had some of that appeal, but was too simplified and lacked the virtual society aspect.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #31
SilentScreams
Double Rainbow?!

I can definitely understand not liking the interface. I don't like it much either. For me, the fun I have with the game outweighs the effort of wrestling with the interface, but I get that it might not be the same for everyone.
SilentScreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #32
Hawkzombie
The Lord of Shadow

Send a message via AIM to Hawkzombie
Savok basically held my hand through a lot of it and there were elements I -loved- about it. Digging and making rooms, finding rare gems...never dug deep enough to find anything dangerous, but flooded a few lower levels a few times. There were parts to it I found awesome, but the interface is ultimately what put me off.

PSN/Steam ID - JaynesHat/Hawkzombie

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits
Hawkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #33
MagGnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkzombie View Post
I tried once...but when I couldn't figure out how to defend myself and to get food...I gave up.

...And that was after 15 hrs of playing =\
Your stories were great though! You were a fun participant in that thread. I remember how you named your dwarves after various COGers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotJeff View Post
Did you ever screw around with the walkthrough RandoM51 wrote? It helped me figure out the game enough to be comfortable enough to continue.
Random's walkthrough is definitely helpful, as is the Quick Start guide in the main Wiki.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkzombie View Post
Savok basically held my hand through a lot of it and there were elements I -loved- about it. Digging and making rooms, finding rare gems...never dug deep enough to find anything dangerous, but flooded a few lower levels a few times. There were parts to it I found awesome, but the interface is ultimately what put me off.
The sense of exploration and discovery, the randomness, and designing/building a fortress are all really addicting, at least to me. The interface is definitely clunky, but you get used to it after a while, and I find myself zipping through commands pretty quickly after a few hours of adjustment.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:57 PM   #34
MagGnome

There's a new developer diary out that sheds a little more light on the game and shows some more gameplay. It's looking very promising so far:

Old 03-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #35
Narradisall
Cookies

Who puts fucking beds at the end of a hallway?
Old 03-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #36
MagGnome

I noticed that as well. I'm not really sure what that is about. I suppose they are creating isolated rooms for each dwarf, but it looked awkward in that video.

I also wish that the speaker wasn't covering up half of the video. I'd rather see the game play more clearly while he talks. It still looks promising, and hopefully we'll get more info soon.

Digging into an enemy dungeon was often a tense moment in Dungeon Keeper. Hopefully they can capture that feeling in this game.

Last edited by MagGnome; 03-08-2012 at 02:37 PM.