welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 02-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #41
OrangePulp
Orangeagami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak View Post
Wait...you live here right now?!? I feel so fucking lost right now hahahaha.

Screw it I am planning a Pacific Northwest get together now.
Heh, I do indeed. Secret's in cleveland now, and there were two other guys, but no idea what happened to them, so I think it's just you and I?

As to Junction City and Fox Hollow, I haven't really spent any time in Junction City myself, other than driving through it. Fox Hollow is actually just an area of (and road in) south Eugene, not a separate city.
OrangePulp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #42
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangePulp View Post
Heh, I do indeed. Secret's in cleveland now, and there were two other guys, but no idea what happened to them, so I think it's just you and I?

As to Junction City and Fox Hollow, I haven't really spent any time in Junction City myself, other than driving through it. Fox Hollow is actually just an area of (and road in) south Eugene, not a separate city.
And J Arcane. Plus I think I could fit half the bill for Hawkzombie to come down. He isn't so far away for it to be out of my means to assist him. I think I will look into it. It would be amazeballs to get us all together.

Gamertag: Malanthrax
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #43
Secret Agent Dog
Tactical Canine Action

Send a message via AIM to Secret Agent Dog
My main problem with Eugene is that the Eugene city council has never gotten over the "have the cake, eat it too" idea of trying to attract businesses while forcing them to some somewhat harsh environmental and tax standards. Springfield has been better about attracting jobs and building a bit more of the middle class, but it is referred to as "Springtucky" for a reason, don't need to drive far to run into PWT.

If I remember correctly, Oregon is powered economically by timber and electronics, with some big name companies such as Nike calling the state home. What this seems to have turned into is a situation where it is much better to come to Oregon with an offer in hand than to come to Oregon to look for a job, not saying that it isn't possible, but just keep it in mind if you are trying to start new.

Portland is great for some nice authentic ethnic foods if you take the time to look, and as stated before, is pretty much the only place I will eat breakfast foods in a restaurant. Eugene is a college town, and thus comes with the standard college pros/cons. As someone who is left leaning, Eugene is the only place I have seen the far left in their natural environment, though unlike other places I have spent time, you won't get shot in the gut for telling a hipster to fuck themselves on the street if the situation presents.

The two things that I would say Oregon in general really has going for it is the weather (coast, mountains, desert, rain forest), and the urban planning. Unlike the east coast, you don't see nearly the fucked up city layouts, interstates, or run down manufacturing (though most of these are based on the fact that the west coast is younger in general). The driving is monumentally easier and the divers less aggressive/crazy in general, and the architecture is better imo.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:23 PM   #44
Entropy
Banned

You hit on something I forgot to mention...traffic. It's pretty low key here.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #45
PathMaster
My life for Aiur!

Urban planning on the east coast...yea, it can be a problem. Inherited due to age, and very little one can do short term about it.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:44 PM   #46
J Arcane
Bedroom Wall Press

On the other hand, if you don't drive, large portions of the West Coast are practically uninhabitable.

Arcana Rising - An Urban Fantasy Roleplaying Game, powered by Hulks and Horrors.
Hulks and Horrors - A Sci-Fi Roleplaying game of Exploration and Dungeon Adventure
Heaven's Shadow - A Roleplaying Game of Faith and Assassination
J Arcane is online now   Reply With Quote