welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > Gaming the CoG Way > General Gaming

Old 02-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #1
digitalErich
Mathematical!

Mass Effect Power-through

Both Mass Effect 1 and 2 both just happen to have come out at times where I had a lot of stuff going on (moving from NYC to SF, changing jobs, etc) that kept me away from gaming during those times. I've always meant to go back and play them before 3, and here we are.

I'm going to try to power through them as much as possible without skipping over story or not taking the time to enjoy myself. So, what I can use help with are any tips for someone diving into this, things I'll learn later that it's better to know at the start. I'm thinking things like decent builds to try, which DLC should I grab, which DLC can I skip, etc. I've heard Pinnacle Station for ME1 is pretty skippable and that some of the stuff for ME2 is pretty good, but I really have no idea.

I'll be grabbing both ME1 and ME2 (deluxe) editions on the PC so any tips anyone has that are relatively spoiler free are welcome and appreciated.

Also, ME1 and 2 are still showing up on Steam which would be my preference, but any reason to buy them on Origin instead? I remember there being a some kind of deal on Origin for ME3 pre-orders but I'm either crazy or the offer expired.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #2
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

I can try to offer more later, but getting the DLC to work with the Steam versions of the games can be a bit of a bitch, and I think one of the 2 pieces of DLC for ME1 simply won't work at all.
DananRonpa 2: Goodbye Despair
PSN ID: Gorvi - Steam ID: gorvivelgin
Gorvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalErich View Post
Both Mass Effect 1 and 2 both just happen to have come out at times where I had a lot of stuff going on (moving from NYC to SF, changing jobs, etc) that kept me away from gaming during those times. I've always meant to go back and play them before 3, and here we are.

I'm going to try to power through them as much as possible without skipping over story or not taking the time to enjoy myself. So, what I can use help with are any tips for someone diving into this, things I'll learn later that it's better to know at the start. I'm thinking things like decent builds to try, which DLC should I grab, which DLC can I skip, etc. I've heard Pinnacle Station for ME1 is pretty skippable and that some of the stuff for ME2 is pretty good, but I really have no idea.

I'll be grabbing both ME1 and ME2 (deluxe) editions on the PC so any tips anyone has that are relatively spoiler free are welcome and appreciated.

Also, ME1 and 2 are still showing up on Steam which would be my preference, but any reason to buy them on Origin instead? I remember there being a some kind of deal on Origin for ME3 pre-orders but I'm either crazy or the offer expired.
ME 1 and 2 are made for every kind of gamer. You can beat it without any particular build. Personally I say playing it for roleplaying and ignore build ideas. ME does NOT require it and the difficulty is no where near high enough for someone to even think more than 1 second on it. In fact the games are, to put it blunt, retardly easy. I can't think of easier RPG's in my experience with them.

Both games are built for the experience and it is really what you enjoy versus what works best with those games. Read the character types and hit start. Seriously, you will thank me later. Everyone's Shepard character should be there own and be done in whatever way sounds interesting to them.

Gamertag: Malanthrax PS4: Malanthrax

Last edited by Karak; 02-21-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:13 PM   #4
National Kato
Surfer Rosa

I would only suggest one thing, and this is based off of my older brother's experience. I had already played Mass Effect 2 by the time my brother Sean purchased Mass Effect. He called me up and we talked and I got him excited about the game and told him to stay away from spoilers, etc.

The thing I forgot to tell him because it was so obvious to me was to custom-build your Shepard. Sean just jumped in and played half the game before he realized he didn't have to be a straight-up soldier. He could be a biotic or an engineer or...hybrid.

Maybe that makes him seem stupid or blind, but some people just jump into games without trying out the options.
Origin: NationalKato
Now Playing: Shadow of Mordor / Destiny / Divinity:OS / FIFA 15 / Hearthstone / GTA V
[twitch.tv]
[smith.ink]
National Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
Chris_D
Colonist

Don't stress too much about either going all Paragon or all Renegade. You can comfortably go ~70:30 and still fill up either one gauge or the other. So, in general, just pick the dialog options that appeal to you and your character at any given time. You will enjoy the game more.

Pinnacle Station DLC is not that interesting (especially when you have ME2 waiting to be played) but it offers way more powerful equipment than anywhere else in ME1. Alternatively, Bring Down the Sky DLC has a somewhat interesting story but the rewards are junk.

ME2 Shadow Broker is easily the best of the DLC, especially essential if your character romanced Liara in ME1. Kasumi DLC is not bad and gives you a good character (no real extra dialog though unfortunately). The other DLC can mostly be passed on unless you are a completionist.
Sony could drop the price of PS+ to $1 a month and he'd still find a way to spin it in a negative light.
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Troggles
[NSFW]

If you're just going to do one playthrough of ME1 and ME2 and want to get everything, then I suggest maxing either Intimidate or Charm in ME1 fairly early to open up all dialogue and story options. Other than that, you can't really screw up your character build. Just make sure you have a companion with you that knows decryption and electronics so you can loot all chests, too.
3DS FC: 3781-0398-9126
Troggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
Chris_D
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troggles View Post
If you're just going to do one playthrough of ME1 and ME2 and want to get everything, then I suggest maxing either Intimidate or Charm in ME1 fairly early to open up all dialogue and story options. Other than that, you can't really screw up your character build. Just make sure you have a companion with you that knows decryption and electronics so you can loot all chests, too.
Oh great point. I forgot that Charm and Intimidate were separate skills in ME1. In ME2 you don't have to worry about it.
Sony could drop the price of PS+ to $1 a month and he'd still find a way to spin it in a negative light.
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troggles View Post
I will adjust my first comment and add that Troggles is right about the dialogue bits for sure.

Gamertag: Malanthrax PS4: Malanthrax
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #9
digitalErich
Mathematical!

Thanks for all of the posts, these really help. Things like the tip for Charm/Intimidate are what I was looking for, I should have been more clear. My plan was to always make a character that fit my play style, but these are still games and I wanted to be sure there wasn't a particular skill or stat that, if ignored, would cause me to miss out. It sounds like Charm/Intimidate is really the only one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvi View Post
I can try to offer more later, but getting the DLC to work with the Steam versions of the games can be a bit of a bitch, and I think one of the 2 pieces of DLC for ME1 simply won't work at all.
Is this the same for any DD copy, Origin as well? I'm really only looking to grab DLC that adds significantly to the story or fleshes out the universe, whatever doesn't I'm fine with skipping.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:38 PM   #10
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

The first game had Securom DRM, which is erratic. YMMV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #11
digitalErich
Mathematical!

Ah ok, so it's nothing to do with any specific DD retailer...Steam it is then. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:57 PM   #12
evilgoodwin
Abomination Unto Nuggan

Learn to use your team's combat abilities. Seriously. I was tearing my hair out before I realized that I could overload shields.
Currently Playing: Minecraft (PC), Skyrim (PC)
evilgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:29 PM   #13
KamaItachi
Always ready!

In ME1, some skills are shared between all team mates, like hack/first aid and the game will only use the highest rating when used.

Keep one character and use them for that particular skill. Don't double dip by leveling a few characters in the same non-combat area as the points will be pretty much lost unless you rotate your characters regularly.

Live Id: Lambert is Dead

PSN: LambertisDead
KamaItachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:41 PM   #14
Xydarc
Time to rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorvi View Post
I have every single piece of ME 2 DLC and it has worked flawlessly with the Steam version. You purchase the DLC from BioWare's website, download the installer and run it, launch ME 2 in Steam, and it's there ready to play. However, YMMV.

Pinnacle Station was an Xbox exclusive and had no bearing on the ME 1 plot AFAIK. I'm not sure if Bringing Down the Sky is still available for the PC version of ME 1. I had to jump through some hoops in order to get it. Keep in mind, you can also purchase ME Genesis, which is the motion comic they released for the PS3 version if you just want to make the major decisions of ME 1 and then jump straight in to ME 2. I wouldn't recommend it, as I think ME 1 deserves a full playthrough, but I can see it coming in handy for those making a 4th or 5th Shepard for ME 3.
Xydarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #15
digitalErich
Mathematical!

Well it's a good thing I decided to go with Steam, because after I booted it up and and went to add them to my cart, it wouldn't let me because I already own both of them.

I have zero recollection of buying either of them.

Gabe Newell is a genius.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:10 AM   #16
Cavalier
Colonist

The mako has two weapons, don't try fighting worms with the machine gun
Cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:15 AM   #17
Narradisall
Cookies

Most people have already covered the good stuff. Just play it how you feel, or how your character would. There are some fantastic RP options in the game.

ME1 : Bringing Down the Sky is good.
ME2: Shadowbroker is a MUST, Kasumi is fun, overlord is alright, and although people hate Arrival, it has nice overtures for whats coming in ME3.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:16 AM   #18
Narradisall
Cookies

Oh and you can avoid most the mako random planet missions, in fact just avoid the mako as much as possible.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:57 AM   #19
Gorvi
You're not my supervisor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narradisall View Post
Oh and you can avoid most the mako random planet missions, in fact just avoid the mako as much as possible.
Oh, they're really not that bad. But with the Mako, just try to find as much flat land as possible to traverse, even if it seems like you're going way out of your way. It'll take far less time in the long run.
DananRonpa 2: Goodbye Despair
PSN ID: Gorvi - Steam ID: gorvivelgin
Gorvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 07:17 AM   #20
kyrieee
RAWR

My recommendation would be to play ME1 on easy and power through the main quest, and then play ME2 on the setting just above normal. Class doesn't really matter because they're all fun, but the Soldier is the least exciting by far.
kyrieee is offline   Reply With Quote