welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 11-30-2011, 10:55 PM   #81
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

Since the Witcher 2 debate has shifted to DRM, we have to look at how fucked up the release was; there were three versions of the game; One retail, with an online registration for publisher's sake, this one didn't work at launch, one steam, which was like every steam game ever, except you had to download the whole game every time there was a patch and GoG, which was DRM, which worked fine. I guess that is the reason the dude still says "no DRM for us", because people who bought directly from them had the most satisfaction. It is a famtastic game though.

Also, I belive Savok is correct, which is not as often as he'd like you to think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:17 PM   #82
Lithium Flower
Obey the Kitteh!

The Witcher 2 was available on GoG.com at launch. GoG is not DRM, once the game is downloaded, there's no further impediment to playing. GoG was always promoted as CRPR's preferred solution and the lack of DRM was one of its selling points. If other publishers burden it with copy protection, it's not the developer's fault - they always had a DRM-free version available.
Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 11:32 PM   #83
Savok
Vulcan Rage!

It did have registration though but I don't think you needed it to play. You needed it for something, because I remember fighting it for some reason but what is lost to my memory.
Savok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:07 AM   #84
Uatu
Go fuck yourself.

Gabe: herpaderp!
Uatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:07 AM   #85
BrassGecko
Irrelephant x1k

Since there's lots of general DRM and piracy discussion, here's a semi-related link about ebooks that I thought was kinda interesting.
BrassGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:28 AM   #86
Lithium Flower
Obey the Kitteh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savok View Post
It did have registration though but I don't think you needed it to play. You needed it for something, because I remember fighting it for some reason but what is lost to my memory.
Free Troll Hunt DLC.
Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:37 AM   #87
Hotcod
Warm fish smells funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serapth View Post
I am not insulting people, with one direct exception, unless I suppose you self identify as a pirate that is.

Now do you really want me to cite the few hundred to thousand of articles citing rampant piracy on the PC? Really? The inverse is a much easier task, as there aren't many people taking the inverse stance, especially not people without an agenda like Gabe. At best you generally find arguments like this one that say "yeah, piracy is a problem but we still make money on the PC".
Yes take a joke response about awful DRM out of context shall we? You may want to go check my steam account as well, where I own a copy of that game. You early in the thread said that any one who didn't agree with you must be feeling guilty about being a pirate. Implying that only people who pirate could disagree with you and as such can be dismissed.

Also saying you can talk about rampant piracy articles as a way to back up your argument is idiotic. We are in a thread where I have accepted that a game has been pirated 5 million times. That seems pretty rampant to me and yet I can still argue, using facts and studies, that the effects of that on the publisher could be, in your own words, so small to not matter.

Until you can actually show me studies or facts about why that view is wrong rather than just pointing to download number which even in a purely logical sense I've dismissed as a useful metric you are still just sounding just like you are arguing this on your gut feelings rather than anything real.

edit:

I'll also just leave these here

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...fic-health.ars

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/n...-are-bogus.ars

I'm not uses these to claim that piracy is not harmful, it is likely effecting profits but if piracy is as rampant and damaging as you claim the industries involved would be doing spectacularly during one of the worst economic times in a 100 years with out it. Which I find to be a bit of a stretch. Even more so when I can make the argument that the actual harm piracy does is a lot smaller than a lot of people, like your self, seem to think... I'm still not sure where you justification for that is coming from by the way.

Either way it's clear that the industry is dong well despite piracy regardless of how damaging it is. Which is why I find it silly the industries involved are spending huge amounts of money on making their own products worse in an ineffective attempt to stop it and I find it horrifying that they are spending even more to loby for changes in the law that are deeply disturbing.

Last edited by Hotcod; 12-01-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Hotcod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:13 AM   #88
Savok
Vulcan Rage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Free Troll Hunt DLC.
Ah yes that's right. Eventually it was just included in the patches.
Savok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #89
Stmfuller
Actually Graduated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serapth View Post
Seriously. [Pro-choice] threads always remind me what a bunch of entitled cunts [Pro-choicers] can be. More often than not, I think the irrational backlash has more to do with guilt than any other reason. People abort, too many people, then try to reconcile their abortion by being dismissive of the problem they created. Generally the people that bitch the loudest abort the most.

Hmmmm.... didn't work very well with the first random hot button issue I could think of. Let me try it again...

Seriously. [Pro-gun] threads always remind me what a bunch of entitled cunts [Pro-gun] can be. More often than not, I think the irrational backlash has more to do with guilt than any other reason. People shoot, too many people, then try to reconcile their shooting by being dismissive of the problem they created. Generally the people that bitch the loudest shoot the most.

Hmmm, closer, but still no. Shall I try again...

Seriously. [Music piracy] threads always remind me what a bunch of entitled cunts [music pirates] can be. More often than not, I think the irrational backlash has more to do with guilt than any other reason. People steal music, too many people, then try to reconcile their stealing by being dismissive of the problem they created. Generally the people that bitch the loudest steal the most.

Well that fits, but then it would, because it's the same fucking problem!
well, of course if you use words and thinking it won't fit.
ok I get your point.
+1 internets for you.

The argument seemed like every other complaint I'm hearing anymore.
Or maybe my brain is so overloaded with the stupid insipid bullshit that comes at me from every angle that I just don't care anymore.