Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > CoG Features

Old 09-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
Mot Wakorb
47 Friendly Fires

[Review] OnLive Micro Console

System: OnLive Micro Console
MSRP: $99.99
Editor: Curt "Mot Wakorb" LeCaptain

Editor's Note: This is a review of the OnLive Microconsole only. This is a dedicated device that connects to your TV so you don't need a PC, Mac, or 360/PS3 console to game, you can do so via this device. There is OnLive software that is free to install on your Mac or PC, which does the exact same functionality as this device. The interface is the same, the exception is you bring the controls to the party instead of having a pack-in controller.

Quote:
What's Hot: Power-on "anywhere" instant gaming that delivers a pretty solid experience, provided that you have the bandwidth to support it. Supports Multiple platforms, with no entry cost if you're gaming on PC or Mac.

What's Not: Needing internet to play your games, a slow update time on game patches, bandwidth requirements may not fit everyone. Graphics aren't fully up to par with PC counterparts due to being locked at 720p.
The Hardware:

The Microconsole is neatly packaged and is really an "out of the box" experience - it includes an OnLive controller, the Microconsole, an HDMI cable, an ethernet cable, the power cable, a Micro USB cable to charge and sync the controller, two AA batteries and a rechargable controller pack. The system does get a bit warm as you're playing but isn't anything major when it comes to handling - it's not something that will burn a hand or hurt anyone. It also feels solid, so if you were to drop it or something were to happen to it, it doesn't feel like it would be any worse for the wear. It includes two USB ports which can accept any standard USB Keyboard and mouse, the OnLive controller, a 360 Controller, and a few others that are specifically supported by OnLive. For $99, it gives you a pretty PC experience for a very low entry cost, with some caveats.

The Microconsole Rear - Ethernet, Optical Audio, Power, Headphone Jack, HDMI, and Component Jack

The Controller:

The included controller seems like a 360 controller and PS3 controller decided to have a child. The controller is mostly styled after a 360 controller in size, weight, and battery pack, however, the control pad and left stick are both styled after a PS3 controller in positioning. The controller feels nice in the hands and doesn't feel cheap. The two sticks offer a decent amount of resistance as do the two triggers. The button layout is that of a 360 controller as many PC games that support a controller support the 360 layout by default. The only disappointing part of the controller itself is the d-pad. While it seems much like a PS3 D-Pad, it feels cheaper than a PS3 D-Pad and not nearly as responsive. It's about the only complaint I have with the controller.

The front of the OnLive Controller

Bumpers, Triggers, and a Micro USB port!

Setup:

Setup of the console itself is simple, especially noting most (not all necessarily) of the cables needed to play are in the box. Plug in your microconsole to power, an ethernet port, and HDMI to your TV and you're ready to go. Power up the console, plug in the OnLive controller that is included via Micro USB cable (also included) and it will auto-sync the controller via wireless. The Micro Console will automatically update the system when it detects an internet connection (and the controller, strangely) and reboot itself so you're ready to play. From there, you log in with OnLive and proceed onto their interface. The only thing where they could have improved here was including the optional $29.99 component video cable package, which is available on their website.

Everything included to get started - with an HDTV

Interface:

The main interface is pretty simple and pretty clearly based on the Xbox Platform. From the main panel, you can access your games, your profile, the OnLive marketplace, your friends list, brag clips you've created, games you've played recently, a showcase that is mainly videos/advertisements for the OnLive service, and the arena, which is OnLive's matchmaking service. A rather neat feature of the matchmaking service, however, is the ability to view another player's game, mid game. Don't feel like playing yourself? Watch someone else play live if they've enabled viewing of their game. This is a great way to preview a game without purchasing yourself.

Mid-game, you can hit the OnLive button (or 360 guide button if using a 360 controller) and bring up panels that're also clearly based on ideas brought forth from Xbox Live. You can swipe left and right to see achivements, other games, start creating a brag video, quit a game or shut down the Micro Console, settings, messaging, and voice chat. It feels very inspired by the Xbox Live experience and that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Marketplace:

The marketplace is easy to browse - tabbed areas allow you to see what's featured, what specials are available, what's new, what is in the playpack, browse by genre and search. The interface is nothing more than a list, however, so browsing can become tedious. All of the games are PC games that support either the keyboard or mouse as controls or certain controllers. The only thing missing is what version the games are at - whether or not they've been patched to fix certain issues within would be a nice touch to be able to have. Another feature that is pretty nice is the ability to play nearly all the games (with the caveat being all of the newest games) for thirty minutes. No watered down experience, you get the first thirty minutes free. You can choose to do the thirty minute trial more than once, but saved games will not remain available unless you purchase.

Another feature the Marketplace has is a subscription service for $9.99 a month that gives access to 80+ games via the service with no added cost. The PlayPass also gives a discount on any purchased games of 30% off, which is a pretty decent deal if you're purchasing multiple games over time. The games aren't all AAA titles, but include some indie favorites as well as some gaming classics.

Gameplay:

All the previous information is fine and dandy, but what about the gameplay itself? That's the most important thing when it comes to a device like this, and honestly, I was pretty impressed with how well the OnLive service ran as a whole. OnLive doesn't make any secret of what kind of requirements they have for their service. The minimum bandwidth needed to run the OnLive service is 2Mbit, however, they recommend you have 5Mbit of internet available. OnLive will work on most PCs, netbooks, and Intel-based Macs as well as the Microconsole. The games run at a maximum resolution of 1280x720 (720p) and run as low as 1024x576. I had purchased a boxed PC copy of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, so I tested the OnLive console using this game on my older 42" Samsung 720p DLP TV.

The initial load screen took a while, as the service needed to load the game. Unfortunately, the version of the game OnLive is using is the original 1.0.0.0 release, so load times were long and tedious. Once I was able to get into the game, the video quality as well as audio quality was spot-on. I played through the initial portion of the game and encountered a few issues but none that I would consider show stopping. First, the game has jagged edges - don't expect FSAA to be enabled in the games. It's a tradeoff for video quality versus bandwidth used, which may turn off some gamers. The sound itself comes through in full 5.1 surround sound, so if you're hooking this up via your optical audio or via HDMI, you won't be disappointed in how these games sound.

One thing I was also definitely concerned with was input lag and input options. Playing PC games now for many years, keyboard and mouse for many games are the only way to go, and I wanted to make sure I could continue using the control styles I wanted. Fortunately, the console is USB based, and nearly all HID-Compliant devices work with the Micro Console. I used two sets of input, a Logitech G510 gaming keyboard and G5 gaming mouse as well as a simple cheap Logitech Keyboard and optical mouse and both worked right away. The system also worked very well with the OnLive controller as well as a wired 360 controller. I did not get a chance to try the wireless 360 adapter and controller although OnLivefans.com's forums note that the 360 wireless adapter and controllers work perfectly with multiple controllers.

Another issue I found was I had a bit of studdering as I was going through the game. It wasn't that the game felt choppy, I just didn't feel like I was getting around 60 FPS in-game. When you're used to a video card that can handle the framerates needed, this can be somewhat jarring as well, but can be looked past. I did have a minor bandwidth issue where I started spinning around without control, which then led to an overlay screen warning me about bandwidth issues for about two seconds before regaining control. It was a momentary lapse, but one that could be fatal in a gunfight.

OnLive does deliver by far in one aspect - if you have access to "the cloud", you have access to your games. The graphics themselves were just as good as a game on 360 or PS3 running at 720p, granted that the bandwidth is available. If the bandwidth isn't available, expect an experience much like running Netflix on PS3 or 360 - the lower the bandwidth, the lower the video and audio quality. They sacrifice on these two fronts so that they don't ruin the actual experience of playing the game itself. It also delivers in that it doesn't matter if I'm running on PC, Mac, or the OnLive console - all offer the same experience and have my saves sitting in the cloud, waiting for me.

When I spoke to the folks at the OnLive booth at PAX Prime this year, they made sure to let me know that you want to be within 1000 miles of one of their three datacenters: Virginia, Texas, and the San Francisco area. If you're not, they did note that you may have a diminished gameplay experience. Just one more caveat for the cloud service itself - it would be nice if they also offered a midwest datacenter, perhaps at a major hub location such as Chicago.

The final limitation I found was that the OnLive service can only play games with OnLive subscribers, even though the games themselves are PC versions of the games. You cannot connect to external services such as Gamespy for Borderlands or Games for Windows Live for games like Batman: Arkham Asylum. This can turn some people off as the OnLive community isn't nearly as large as the PC, 360, or PS3 community and limits the ability to play games online with friends.

Conclusion:

As a whole, the OnLive Micro Console is a pretty great experience, especially when entering with the opinion that I wasn't going to be impressed by the service itself. Honestly, I had pretty low expectations. I came out of the experience finding that the service was pretty solid and a contender for people that want a PC experience without paying for a PC, or the on-the-go gamer that doesn't have a laptop that is powerful enough to play everything you own on Steam, but has the bandwidth wherever they're travelling to be able to connect to the OnLive service and play where they left off anywhere else.

Score: 4 out of 5 CoGs

Curt says: "If you're a gamer on the go that has the bandwidth but not the machine to play current PC games and want to do so at a pretty low cost, you can't go wrong with the OnLive Service or OnLive Micro Console."

Last edited by Mot Wakorb; 09-06-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Mot Wakorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
divinechaos
Fuck the Garden

Send a message via AIM to divinechaos
Wait... I ain't too good at this whole "reading comprehension" thing but what I got from this is that this thing hooks up to your laptop and then whatever PC game you buy, this will play it? Because if that's the case then I would LOVE one of these.

After actually learning about this thing: I get it, I thought you could use a CD-ROM but now I see that its an online library of games. Does it handle online gaming at all? Because if I got this I'd do it for Battlefield and I don't see an option for a headset.

Last edited by divinechaos; 09-06-2011 at 09:06 PM.
divinechaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
Mot Wakorb
47 Friendly Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinechaos View Post
Wait... I ain't too good at this whole "reading comprehension" thing but what I got from this is that this thing hooks up to your laptop and then whatever PC game you buy, this will play it? Because if that's the case then I would LOVE one of these.
I will clarify - no, this attaches to your TV. OnLive has their own games on the service - there are no discs or owned hard copy software. Everything stays in the cloud. There is a PC and Mac client that allows you to do the exact same things as the console, but on top of your existing PC/Mac without needing a hardware upgrade to play, just internet.

Edit: I updated the original post with an editor's note to clarify.

Last edited by Mot Wakorb; 09-06-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Mot Wakorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Fair review. I love mine, it fits a particular use in my home and its fantastic. Starting a game and realizing that its just...there playing in just a few seconds is so amazing.

Gamertag: Malanthrax PS4: Malanthrax
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #5
Vandabo
Guise srsly

I thought if you have a PC or Mac it just runs as a service on the computer without any extra hardware.

Thanks for the review, it's definitely a cool step forward for cloud gaming.

Edit: beaten to it

Gamertag/Steam = Vandabo
Vandabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
Mot Wakorb
47 Friendly Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandabo View Post
I thought if you have a PC or Mac it just runs as a service on the computer without any extra hardware.

Thanks for the review, it's definitely a cool step forward for cloud gaming.
Correct. I'm just reviewing the hardware component that we received at PAX, you don't need this to use the OnLive service - you can get their software completely free for PC/Mac.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #7
Mike Kelehan
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinechaos View Post
Does it handle online gaming at all? Because if I got this I'd do it for Battlefield and I don't see an option for a headset.
It does handle online gaming, but I believe it only lets you play other OnLive users. Which means ping times are nearly zero, but it also means you can't play with your friends.
Mike Kelehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
J Arcane
Bedroom Wall Press

You know, conceptually I think it's a neat idea, and I look forward to what it could do for the PC market, but personally I can't see much actual use for it.

I actually own a good gaming PC, so admittedly maybe this doesn't make me the target market, but conceptually I'd like the idea of being able to also play the same games on my crummy front-room emulator PC, or my iPad, or had I one, a laptop.

But in order to do so, I would have to spend full retail for essentially two copies of the game: one "real" copy from Steam or a retail store so I can take advantage of my gaming hardware, and then the lo-fi streaming copy from OnLive to play it on the other machines. Which is just ridiculous. I hate that Gamestop is strongarming against the OnLive coupon concept because it would really help with this issue.

The other problem is the way this works. Unlike even Steam, you really don't own your stuff at all, it isn't even on your machine anywhere. Your game, your saves, all of it are all on OnLive's servers, which means they're going to be completely independent of your Steam saves and the like, and if something happens to your games, like say, that 3 year time limit in the fine print on OnLive purchases runs out, or the service goes tits up because they've been overspending like crazy, then you are SOL on every level. There's no patch that's gonna make those purchases playable again because you don't even have the data.

If I didn't have a gaming PC already, I could almost see going for something like this, but considering that most of their library is all cross-platform stuff anyway, I'd do just as well to just buy more games for my 360.

Arcana Rising - An Urban Fantasy Roleplaying Game, powered by Hulks and Horrors.
Hulks and Horrors - A Sci-Fi Roleplaying game of Exploration and Dungeon Adventure
Heaven's Shadow - A Roleplaying Game of Faith and Assassination
J Arcane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #9
Mot Wakorb
47 Friendly Fires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kelehan View Post
It does handle online gaming, but I believe it only lets you play other OnLive users. Which means ping times are nearly zero, but it also means you can't play with your friends.
You are correct. The last paragraph before my conclusion mentions this - you can only play with friends. That said, you can also do voice chat, but it is considered in beta. I did not get a chance to test voice chat out.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:38 PM   #10
AniAko
Pure Passion

Send a message via Yahoo to AniAko
I played around with my console for a bit, and I felt it was a good experience being one of the first completely cloud gaming experiences. I experienced the same kind of "frame-drop" like lag, it wasn't very often, but it was often enough that I noticed it. Most definitely a connection issue on my part, but annoying enough when I'm using the recommended 5Mb connection. That makes me feel that it's just a TAD ahead of it's time, preventing if from making a big splash with people that don't have fat ISP pipes.

I'd LOVE to try this at work on our 80/20 FiOS line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone
Awesome. You really captured the wangy-ness of it
AniAko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #11
Ghostbear
Mechwarrior

Messing with mine, I see potential, but I don't think I am the market. I have a good PC, 360 and ps3. I am not particularly sure what this adds. I can see potential for gaming while traveling, but as we all know hotel internet is typically crap. Still, to get pretty good PC gaming without the PC? That's neat.
Ghostbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #12
Bone
Terribad at game

I like it. One feature I didn't see mentioned is the offering of rentals- 3-day and 5-day rentals- and you start playing instantly. The same goes for demos of games. Actually the game browser "wall" interface impressed me a lot. I watched some random OnLive user playing a game, decided to try it, and jumped right into the demo.

On a budget, you could do a lot worse than a system like this. Obviously if you own consoles and a PC the draw is lessened, but I do already intend to use it for renting those games I don't see me spending more than a week on.

So, if you're the kind of person who doesn't want to maintain a competitive gaming PC, or just doesn't like to buy games all the time, this is very much the Netflix of gaming and I think there could be a huge market for something like this.

XBL: xx 8one xx
3DS: 0516-7281-0600

Steam: -Bone-

Last edited by Bone; 09-06-2011 at 10:22 PM.
Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:27 PM   #13
ElektroDragon
La crème de la crème

So how does it send all your input (controller, keyboard or mouse) over the net to the server hosting the game and still not LAG LIKE HELL. That's what I'd like to know.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #14
Bone
Terribad at game

I imagine a little bit of prediction on top of the high network requirements. My experience was good, but I'd probably stick to single-player games.

XBL: xx 8one xx
3DS: 0516-7281-0600

Steam: -Bone-
Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #15
Ghostbear
Mechwarrior

Bone, you make a good point about the rentals. I think that will be useful indeed for me when we do games I dont want to buy for the FUDcast.
Ghostbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:38 PM   #16
Karak
Press Start to Begin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
I like it. One feature I didn't see mentioned is the offering of rentals- 3-day and 5-day rentals- and you start playing instantly. The same goes for demos of games. Actually the game browser "wall" interface impressed me a lot. I watched some random OnLive user playing a game, decided to try it, and jumped right into the demo.

On a budget, you could do a lot worse than a system like this. Obviously if you own consoles and a PC the draw is lessened, but I do already intend to use it for renting those games I don't see me spending more than a week on.

So, if you're the kind of person who doesn't want to maintain a competitive gaming PC, or just doesn't like to buy games all the time, this is very much the Netflix of gaming and I think there could be a huge market for something like this.
Yes thanks. Ronin brought that up to me that the review was missing that. ) day rentals can't be beat. I used it for a couple "test purchases" Games I wanted to play on the day they came out but wasn't 100% sure I wanted to pull the trigger but didn't want to HOPE I got it from various rental services. I ended up just buying them on the service versus console/PC normal version and have not actually had any misgivings.

Gamertag: Malanthrax PS4: Malanthrax
Karak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #17
Mike Kelehan
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElektroDragon View Post
So how does it send all your input (controller, keyboard or mouse) over the net to the server hosting the game and still not LAG LIKE HELL. That's what I'd like to know.
That's what I thought too, when they announced it. I said, very vocally and in every OnLive thread I could find, that I'll believe it when I see it, that it's a pipe dream, and that this could very well be a Phantom-esque investment scam.

Then I tried the beta, and was shocked that it not only worked, but worked well.

I live in Maryland, between Baltimore and DC. The nearest OnLive server farm, I believe, is in DC. I tried pinging whitehouse.gov, and got ping times of 18-20ms. The delay when playing a game on a DLP TV is about 44ms. It can work if their compression and streaming technology is good enough, and it turns out it is.
Mike Kelehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #18
Vandabo
Guise srsly

The idea of PC rentals is pretty sweet to me. That would have worked great for playing through the singleplayer campaign of Blops, for example.

Gamertag/Steam = Vandabo
Vandabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:56 PM   #19
muddi900
Hardcore Dance Punch-Out!

I just want to check out demos, but my ping is so high, it's not even funny. It is probably the service we all will be using to demo our games, at least, in the next few years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffool View Post
I think it's the collective form of the noun, actually.
"What's an anonymous group of assholes called?"
"An Internet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by pronounconnoun View Post
taint = slippery slope

Got it. Thanks.
muddi900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:08 AM   #20
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Send a message via AIM to TheKeck Send a message via MSN to TheKeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karak View Post
Fair review. I love mine, it fits a particular use in my home and its fantastic. Starting a game and realizing that its just...there playing in just a few seconds is so amazing.
This prompted me to actually try this tonight. Jumped in a couple demos. It really I'd a very neat service. The only complaint I have at the moment is that graphics didn't seem very great on the games.
TheKeck is online now   Reply With Quote