welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 04-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Target Begins Cash Back Program for Game Pre-Orders

In an attempt to secure a larger chunk of the gaming market, Target has announced an incentive program for game pre-orders.

Starting this Sunday gamers can purchase a $1 reservation card. If they bring that card back within seven days of the release of the game, they'll receive a $5 gift card in return.

The program won't cover all games - don't expect to be able to reserve obscure JRPGs for the DS with this system - but Target promises that most of the major releases will be covered under the program.
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
Siraris
Well-Hung Chap

huh? So if I want to reserve a game, and then cancel my reserve they give me $5?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox
But as a quasi-sacramental act, the eating of the pickle is one that should only be performed with a calm mind and reverential demeanor.
Siraris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
rinichanraar
The Goddamn Batgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siraris View Post
huh? So if I want to reserve a game, and then cancel my reserve they give me $5?
Nah, I think that if you preorder a game, you have the option to buy a $1 reservation card. If you go back and purchase the game within a week of its release, you can exchange that $1 card for a $5 gift card.

But then you'd technically be only making $4... unless that $1 is like a down payment on the game.

Seems like an okay way to get people to actually pick up their preorders. I know I've preordered some games before and not picked them up till kind of a long time after they were released.
rinichanraar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #4
rein
TEAM BLUE

Is this really going to work? I thought EB/GS preorders were confusing to customers. Let me preorder or reserve the game and then let the POS automatically give me a $5 discount if I pick it up in the fist 7 days. Why make me purchase a $1 card to trade for a $5 card that I will be handing right back to you when I make the purchase? Or is it one of those, has to be used on your next purchase type deals?
rein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #5
Abyssion
Every ****ing Day.

You probably preorder the game for a dollar then get the card. Then you pick up the game within the first week with the card you got when you put down your preorder. Most likely youll be given a $5 gift card to be used on a future purchase.
Abyssion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
Spacetronaut
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by rein View Post
Is this really going to work? I thought EB/GS preorders were confusing to customers. Let me preorder or reserve the game and then let the POS automatically give me a $5 discount if I pick it up in the fist 7 days. Why make me purchase a $1 card to trade for a $5 card that I will be handing right back to you when I make the purchase? Or is it one of those, has to be used on your next purchase type deals?
I think an automatic discount would cost them more money, as there will be a certain percentage of people who never use the $5 card once they get it.
Spacetronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
Wraith
Watch out for snakes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFinger View Post
Starting this Sunday gamers can purchase a $1 reservation card. If they bring that card back within seven days of the release of the game, they'll receive a $5 gift card in return.
Sweet. That's a pretty good deal compared to Gamestop, especially if the $1 goes toward the price of the game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFinger View Post
The program won't cover all games - don't expect to be able to reserve obscure JRPGs
Dangit!

Playing: Sims 3 (PC), FFXIV (PC); My Mostly Complete Game Library and 2014 Watch List; Gamertag: EasyToType
Watching: The Simpsons
"I would wish you luck, but I believe luck is a concept invented by the weak to explain their failures."
Wraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
bone_matrix
I am become death.

The buck goes towards the purchase price of the game. You get the gift card on the same transaction with the game. It will go something like this:

-Scan game
-Scan preorder card
-$1 off game
-Cashier scans $5 gift card, and hands it to you
-You pay for game, receive game and gift card, good on next purchase

Not a bad deal, especially if you were going to get the game anyway, and don't want to go to GameStop.
bone_matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
Iron Past
Clem - shhh.

Buy twelve get one free!

Seriously, though, if you're going to pick up a game you might as well. Target usually has gift card deals on bigger releases anyway, so maybe they can combine for some decent savings (on future purchases). It's apparently cheaper to reserve at Target now, too, foregoing the normal $5. Not a big deal, but I can usually scrape up $1 somewhere to impulse reserve something whereas with $5 it has to be deliberate. Then again, I doubt I can move that $1 around at Target should I change my mind.

Last edited by Iron Past; 04-16-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Iron Past is offline   Reply With Quote