welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Go Back   Colony of Gamers > News and Features > Gaming News

Old 05-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Weekend Musings: The Greatest Games We'll Never Play

Cracked today had one of the best articles they've ever done on gaming (and they've done some great ones in the past) "The Greatest Games We'll Never Play". Rather than rehashing the old 'lost games' idea, instead they ponder types of games which would be fascinating but would never be produced, either due to technical or commercial limitations.
Quote:
A horror game that isn't at all marketed as a horror game and you could conceivably go through the entire thing and not experience a single ounce of horror apart from perhaps a slight feeling as you're playing that something isn't right with this game world. However, if you go away from the main quest or whatever horrible creepy shit goes down and you realize that as you were playing this game that there was always this horror lying just underneath the surface and you never even saw it until just now and OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL.
We've done 'what's your dream game' threads before, but that article really got me thinking about the subject again. So I ask again, what would you do? No technical limits, no worries about marketability or sales. If you had a blank check and the best technical minds on earth waiting to execute your game idea, what would it be?

I would make the ultimate space war game. One where just about every aspect of the war is represented in-game and connected to a persistent conflict. The game would have all of the genres you'd immediately imagine: FPS infantry battles, flight sim space combat, stealthy espionage missions, tactical carrier engagements. But you'd also have things like mining, research, manufacturing, etc all done through familiar game tropes. Enough that fans of any genre could, in theory, join the conflict and contribute to the clan, faction, whatever.
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

I think your space game idea is not only great, but probably feasible. I'd like to see that within the next ten years.

Out of all those on the list, only the super subtle horror one seemed interesting. That's an idea I like, and I think it already exists to some degree with sidequests. In Skyrim, you can bypass all the demonic freaky stuff if you just play through the main questline. It's not until you do something like help a man investigate a strange house that you find yourself facing off against some powerful unseen force.
Current Projects
Reverant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #3
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World

I like the motion-control magic game they talked about, one that's focused on dueling, accuracy, and spectacle. Detach it from any licensing and go crazy with it. You could develop a pretty intricate and hopefully balanced dueling system with elemental rock-paper-scissors features, like you find in Pokemon.

You also conveniently avoid the character movement issue, since the classic wizard duel features two spell-casters standing across from each other and slinging magic in order to find a weakness in the other's defense and exploit it.

The biggest challenge right now would be accuracy. None of the big three motion control systems are reliable enough to avoid being frustrating in a head-to-head challenge.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
MosBen
Colonist

In high school I thought about game engines and how they're licensed to so that companies can save time and let someone else focus on the technical element. I took that to what I thought was a logical next step: a company that makes one or more city templates and licenses that to other companies. For instance, maybe they accurately model NYC, including all five Burroughs and maybe some of the surrounding area. And I mean accurately: all the buildings, including interior spaces, parks, waterways, the subway. Everything. Then other companies could take that city and tweak the graphics or physics or whatever they wanted to do to make any kind of game they wanted. Use the stadiums to make sports games. Do a survival horror game in one of the skyscrapers. Do a GTA game. Whatever. Ideally they'd expand to other cities and even eventually get them in an interconnected world so you could do a flight sim and fly from one to another over accurate terrain and smaller cities.

Honestly, this is basically Google Earth with much more detail and interactivity, but it's not something that seems as impossible now as it did back then. Of course, there'd still be games that would take place in fictional locations or space or whatever. But I really like the idea of installing this accurate representation of Earth on your computer and then games are essentially just mods on that.
MosBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
Ink Asylum
From the Ninth World

It would be pretty cool to have one fully-realized city, even if it was a completely fake one, that could be used by various game companies as a setting for whatever kinds of games they wanted to make.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
MosBen
Colonist

Yeah, I think it'd be neat if you're doing a mission in an FPS game, and as you run down the street you notice that you're going passed a building where, in another game, you contained a zombie outbreak, or a park with a lake where you went fishing. Just connecting the experiences you amass from multiple games and having a growing familiarity (which developers could fuck with!) with the city over successive games.
MosBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Pale Ale
Drive By Guest

An asymmetrical RTS vs the slackjaws of Lonely Street.

Steam: stalecandy
PSN: Stalecandy9

Last edited by Pale Ale; 05-05-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Pale Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
evilgoodwin
Abomination Unto Nuggan

My old standby.

Skyrim + Castlevania + Diablo.

Open world, gothic themes, supernatural monster hunting, randomly generated dungeons and overworld, loot gathering, 3rd person action adventure. With good music.
Currently Playing: Minecraft (PC), Skyrim (PC)
evilgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
Ravenlock
Thx for the scarf, Sadie!

I still want Sid Meier's Pirates with the Crimson Skies license.

Flying squads of planes around a giant top-down overworld map, trading with the bases of different nations, going into traditional Crimson Skies-style combat sections to fight other planes, attacking giant airships that you can capture with broadside / boarding sections, maybe landing to explore ancient ruins and hunt for treasure, and just generally being a suave sky pirate.
I also run Erratic Gamer, and sometimes write about games there. </Whore>
Ravenlock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
menage
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgoodwin View Post
My old standby.

Skyrim + Castlevania + Diablo.

Open world, gothic themes, supernatural monster hunting, randomly generated dungeons and overworld, loot gathering, 3rd person action adventure. With good music.
I would kill for a Caslevania rpg a la skyrim with tons of loot. Only thing i don't want is randomized stuff. Takes away too much artistry imo. For a castlevania i want the epic.

Must be 3rd persom with good combat though. So more Dark Souls meets the Witcher meets Skyrim size.

PSN: Menage00
Steam: Menage00
Soundcloud
menage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #11
evilgoodwin
Abomination Unto Nuggan

Quote:
Originally Posted by menage View Post
I would kill for a Caslevania rpg a la skyrim with tons of loot. Only thing i don't want is randomized stuff. Takes away too much artistry imo. For a castlevania i want the epic.

Must be 3rd persom with good combat though. So more Dark Souls meets the Witcher meets Skyrim size.
Well, I'd want some crafting, so randomized loot that's severely limited, like Skyrim, that would somehow affect your attributes. You going to fight in an ice dungeon? Bring fire gear. You fighting demons? Holy gear. Etc.

For the combat, I'd want more action based with a combo system. The fights would vary from hordes of tiny beasties to giant undead horrors. But that's just me.

Maybe we could get the Bayonetta people to do the combat.
Currently Playing: Minecraft (PC), Skyrim (PC)
evilgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #12
menage
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgoodwin View Post
Well, I'd want some crafting, so randomized loot that's severely limited, like Skyrim, that would somehow affect your attributes. You going to fight in an ice dungeon? Bring fire gear. You fighting demons? Holy gear. Etc.

For the combat, I'd want more action based with a combo system. The fights would vary from hordes of tiny beasties to giant undead horrors. But that's just me.

Maybe we could get the Bayonetta people to do the combat.
oh i have no problem with randomized loot. I like tinkering, as long as there are special unique items as well. Just locations i'm not keen on. Makes things look the same.

Stop teasing me with Bayonetta damn you

Soundcloud
Old 05-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #13
Hawkzombie
The Lord of Shadow

Send a message via AIM to Hawkzombie
Fuck you all. Now I want a new Castlevania game.

PSN/Steam ID - JaynesHat/Hawkzombie

There is the crazy HZ and the well refined logic and reasoning HZ. Both are pretty entertaining -Purple Santa
I love that Hawk exists to make every decision I make, no matter how self-destructive, look wise by comparison. -Ox
I just realized that for the longest time I've been getting you and Karak mixed up. -fitbabits
Hawkzombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #14
Saladin
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFinger View Post
I would make the ultimate space war game. One where just about every aspect of the war is represented in-game and connected to a persistent conflict. The game would have all of the genres you'd immediately imagine: FPS infantry battles, flight sim space combat, stealthy espionage missions, tactical carrier engagements
Sounds like a Derek Smart game
Saladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
LordDon
Terrible Yet Refined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenlock View Post
I still want Sid Meier's Pirates with the Crimson Skies license.

Flying squads of planes around a giant top-down overworld map, trading with the bases of different nations, going into traditional Crimson Skies-style combat sections to fight other planes, attacking giant airships that you can capture with broadside / boarding sections, maybe landing to explore ancient ruins and hunt for treasure, and just generally being a suave sky pirate.
That still makes me hard when you talk about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandabo View Post
You can take my anus when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
LordDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #16
Pale Ale
Drive By Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFinger View Post

I would make the ultimate space war game. One where just about every aspect of the war is represented in-game and connected to a persistent conflict.
Including VDs?

Also I want my game on the iOS so my phone will scream "KNIFE TO THE EYE!!!" every so often.

Steam: stalecandy
PSN: Stalecandy9
Pale Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #17
Ravenlock
Thx for the scarf, Sadie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordDon View Post
That still makes me hard when you talk about it.
From your loins to some developer's ears.
I also run Erratic Gamer, and sometimes write about games there. </Whore>
Ravenlock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:48 AM   #18
menage
Praise the sun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkzombie View Post
Fuck you all. Now I want a new Castlevania game.
I'm still waiting for that LOS2 announcement. It will not be called that but damn, the last one was good imo.

Soundcloud
Old 05-07-2012, 06:54 AM   #19
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Ale View Post
Including VDs?
How about a simple puzzle game - something which can tenuously be linked to biology or disease research - played on mobile devices or browsers. The more your affiliated players 'score' the closer your side comes to a cure/vaccine for the Herp and the healthier your troops are in another game. Maybe there's a Words with Friends or Draw Something knockoff which can be related to code breaking. Or a fighting game where the winner boosts the morale of allied players. I could probably link any sort of game to the whole in some way, shape or form.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:00 AM   #20
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

Another idea I was hashing out at work. A game where you crash land on an alien planet. You know almost nothing about the planet and have minimal supplies. You have to worry about survival and trying to find a way off planet, but there are some crazy things happening on the planet. As you explore more and more of the secrets of the world open up to you. Do you spend all of your efforts on trying to mine materials to repair your ship, or do you explore and see just how interesting the planet is?