[Multi] Battlefield 3 Review

Product: Battlefield 3
Platform: PC/360/PS3
Developer: DICE
MSRP: $59.99
Available: Now
Editor: Jeremy 'Ghostbear' Spurlock

Quote:
What's Hot: Some of the best multiplayer gaming in years.
What's Not: Single player component is weak.
It’s been some time since DICE has made what some would call a “full” Battlefield experience. Did they succeed with Battlefield 3 or was the mission dead on arrival? Join us, as we dive into the fight and hopefully manage to escape unscathed.

Some folks just need to be the tough guy and pull their chute last.

For the majority of the Battlefield series’ lifespan, it has been a primarily multiplayer experience. This time however, DICE added a single player campaign and a co-op campaign. I have to admit that upon seeing the commercials, I was ready to be impressed by what appeared to be stunning set pieces and vistas. While I certainly got pretty stuff to look at, the single player campaign fell flat in almost every other way. The campaign is short, and it's something I can't really hold against the game. Especially considering that its length is on par with most other modern shooter campaigns. The problem is, while the campaign is chronologically short, it still felt like it dragged in several places. The primary reason being that for a chunk of the time control is taken out of your hands. Playing on rails is one thing, watching the rails can be quite another. The campaign is decent enough, but certainly not worth the price of admission.

I see you!

The co-op is definitely more interesting. The campaigns are built from the ground up to require two players working together in order to achieve objectives. One of the better examples is a mission where both players are given sniper rifles. You are presented with two enemies, if you do not drop them at the same time an alarm will sound and your job will get much harder. This idea is repeated through the six missions of the co-op campaign. The missions range from a helicopter mission, to a defense mission, to the aforementioned sniper level. I have to say playing this with a friend is good fun. It is also useful, as you unlock weapons to fight with in the broader multiplayer game.

King of all I survey!

Everything in the game is controlled by the Battlelog, a browser based portal that you launch the game from. Here you can setup platoons, check statistics, browse servers and see what your friends are up to. I think this system is pretty useful, the ability to change and explore so many game functions without launching the program is lovely. I have found myself taking a look at it while away from home just to sate my curiosity about what was going on with the soldiers in my platoon. Launching the game is very fast from the Battlelog, if you are using it to launch the multiplayer it skips all the normal startup splash screens and takes you right to the match you want to join. Obviously, this functionality is not present in the console versions, but having all the useful stat information is reason enough to enjoy and use the Battlelog. As much as I like it, I wish there were a few more options, like the ability to setup loadouts for your various kits or change key bindings. These are options that still can only be accessed within the game.

In spaces both large and small, the CoG Platoon will kill you all.

Multiplayer is at the heart of the Battlefield series and they have really managed to show that when it comes to this type of game play, DICE is the best in the business. The sheer chaos of the battle is always around you, from building to building firefights to tank battles and aerial dogfights all happening in the same sphere of engagement. Is a tank harassing your control point? Better call in some engineers or your own armor to deal with them. Perhaps a sniper is causing havoc with your squad, get someone in a chopper to end that punk’s existence. There is no one approach to solving a combat issue, but you will need to coordinate with your team to win.

Unlocks can be critical, consider the night vision scope.

One of the things that I have always appreciated with the series is that things like your kill/death ratio, while somewhat important, are not the only metric of your team contributions. I have seen numerous games where the top scorer had far more deaths than kills. Things like capping objectives, damaging vehicles, assists and spotting the enemy all contribute to your score. If you heal your teammates or give them ammunition, points. If you suppress your foes, points. The list goes on. There is a useful role for every player. Speaking of which, there are 4 main classes, Assault/medic, Engineer, Recon and Support. They all have different functions and no one class is good in every situation. You will need to combine your tools to make a useful, functioning squad.

Just two EOD bots, cruising the town.

Like most DICE games at launch, Battlefield 3 has had its share of issues. Widespread reports of crashing, server lag and the total outage of the XBOX 360 servers. I can safely say at the time of this writing many of the issues folks were having have been resolved. I can’t say these issues troubled me very much however, as my experience was mostly painless and the problems I did run into were easily forgotten in the wake of the ludicrous amount of fun I have been having. Indeed, the primary reason for the delay in getting this review out was that writing it would take away my precious Battlefield 3 time. DICE provides a multiplayer experience that is not replicated anywhere else. From infantry mode, to armored combat, to character unlocks, this game has it all. If you are looking for a multiplayer game that will keep you entertained for years to come, look no further. It’s been a long time since Battlefield 2 and I finally feel like I have come home.

Score: 4.5 out of 5 CoGs

Jeremy says “If you are looking for a single player game, look elsewhere, but if you are looking for the best, most intense multiplayer gaming experiences look no further. This game has captured every moment of my free time. I do not begrudge it that.”

*Review based on the PC version of the game.

Last edited by Ghostbear; 11-08-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Ghostbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #2
Bone
Terribad at game

I agree with almost everything you said. Of course you already know I enjoyed the single player despite the cinematic hijacking of my controls at times. The way I see it, BF3 came with a Battlefield-themed movie that I got to control most of. It wasn't deep but the missions were varied in a similar way to Modern Warfare's single player experience, having you play multiple small roles in a larger conflict.

The multiplayer, as expected, is pure gaming crack cocaine. I need to find a co-op buddy soon.

XBL: xx 8one xx
3DS: 0516-7281-0600

Steam: -Bone-
Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

Easily the most fun multiplayer experience I've had in a long time from the FPS genre in terms of military warfare shooter. The shell shock from a friendly tank firing. Being holed up in a building and an explosion taking out a wall to the side of you. Rockets wizzing by leaving a smokey trail that makes you thankful you didn't step out moments before. The ability to actually feel like you can accomplish spec ops if you're stealthy enough because the maps are massive and there's so many places to hide from sight.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Uatu
Go fuck yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostbear View Post
What's Hot: Best online multiplayer game in years.
It is a fun game, but no, just no. Its BFBC2 with bigger maps and jets. I highly recommend reviewers refrain for this type of general assessment of any game.
Uatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #5
TheKeck
FIFTY POSTS PER PAGE!

Send a message via AIM to TheKeck Send a message via MSN to TheKeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uatu View Post
It is a fun game, but no, just no. Its BFBC2 with bigger maps and jets. I highly recommend reviewers refrain for this type of general assessment of any game.
Your wisdom knows no bounds. I like how you succinctly refuted his statement by providing a clear counter-example.
TheKeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #6
digitalErich
Mathematical!

Quote:
No, just no. I highly recommend commenters refrain from this type of vapid trolling, with the tired "It's only X + Y" formula.

Seriously though, this game is the most fun I've had in years in an FPS game. I'm not sure why that's not a valid opinion to hold. If you think this is "just" BFBC2 with bigger maps and jets you are either selling this game's MP experience short or overselling BC2.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

Quote:
I highly recommend readers don't go bonkers when they read someone else's opinion.

Anyway, I love BF3, even though I have the disgusting 360 version. The multiplayer is definitely something I can see myself playing for years and years. I haven't tried the SP yet, because I just assumed it was shit like the SP in BFBC2 and the MW series. My only complaint about co-op is that it's required to unlock all the weapons in real multiplayer. I don't give a flying fruit about co-op, yet it's mandatory for completionists in the real game. I hope they patch in regular MP unlocks for those weapons sometime.
Blog: Rise
Reverant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #8
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Your a fun member, but no, just no. You're just uatu with an upper case U and jets. I highly recommend members refrain from this type of general assessment of any member.

Gamertag - fitbabits | PSN ID - fitbabits | Steam - fitbabits
fitbabits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
Ghostbear
Mechwarrior

You're partially right, I tweaked it a bit to better reflect what I meant.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #10
Ghostbear
Mechwarrior

To be fair, I meant to change that before posting, it was a sort of mental place holder. I however disagree with the assertion that it's BC2 with bigger maps. Many of the differences include things like, player count, class changes, frostbite 2, and numerous other small changes that combine to make a large difference.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:08 PM   #11
Exodus
Vampire Robot Dragon

It was funny the first post, hilarious the second post and now it's become prison rape.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #12
Superman's Dead
And Loving Every Minute

Send a message via AIM to Superman's Dead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
It was funny the first post, hilarious the second post and now it's become prison rape.
That's a funny joke, but no, just no. You're just saying the opposite of what some other people said. I highly recommend posters refrain from generally assessing anything as prison rape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue View Post
I'm just going to hate everyone, to be safe.
PSN: clarkkentsdead
Superman's Dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
iHap
dontstandinfire

There are many changes that are being used that differentiate from BC2. Take all the guns for example, You first have to level up a specific class to unlock weapons further down that tree, you then have to level up that gun to unlock scopes.

All vehicles are the same way, you have to use the Tank a lot to unlock some nice addons to better kill your enemy.

All of those addons really change and shape Battlefield 3 making gameplay unique. There is influence from Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142 in BF3 which gives me joy when I play this game.

The larger maps in BF3 really cause a shift in how people play, It's now a team based video game again. There is always going to be advancing and defending each flag in Conquest. Flanking the enemy is now important in capturing a flag again. versus BC2 it always felt like a stalemate going head on because of the smaller sized maps.

Anyways, here is some video of Ghostbear and I ripping it up in a Tank.
Shut up you dildo.
iHap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:19 PM   #14
Ghostbear
Mechwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by iHap View Post
There are many changes that are being used that differentiate from BC2. Take all the guns for example, You first have to level up a specific class to unlock weapons further down that tree, you then have to level up that gun to unlock scopes.

All vehicles are the same way, you have to use the Tank a lot to unlock some nice addons to better kill your enemy.

All of those addons really change and shape Battlefield 3 making gameplay unique. There is influence from Battlefield 2, Battlefield 2142 in BF3 which gives me joy when I play this game.

The larger maps in BF3 really cause a shift in how people play, It's now a team based video game again. There is always going to be advancing and defending each flag in Conquest. Flanking the enemy is now important in capturing a flag again. versus BC2 it always felt like a stalemate going head on because of the smaller sized maps.

Anyways, here is some video of Ghostbear and I ripping it up in a Tank.
I agree with everything. Also the best part of that video is where I killed two guys with a building.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #15
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

This is a cool theme, but no, just no. It's just the Skyrim thread's "As per Karak's request" running gag with different people and no pictures. I highly recommend posters refrain from this carnival of self-reference as well as engaging in prison surprise sex.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #16
violent
Anti-Music God

Battlefield 3 is just another Skyrim with guns instead of swords and tanks instead of dragons. Repair kits instead of magic.
violent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #17
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by violent View Post
Battlefield 3 is just another Skyrim with guns instead of swords and tanks instead of dragons. Repair kits instead of magic.
Christ. He's not wrong, people.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:31 PM   #18
Reverant
Shaven, Not Stirred

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitbabits View Post
Christ. He's not wrong, people.
I have yet to shout a tank to death, but Lord knows I've tried.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:34 PM   #19
fitbabits
The Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverant View Post
I have yet to shout a tank to death, but Lord knows I've tried.
Then you need to try harder (or shout louder)!

Old 11-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #20
CES
Colonist

"Flat" is the best single word term I can think of to refer to the BF3 singleplayer. It wants to be Call of Duty so bad it comes off as pathetic.

The multiplayer's only let down is me.
CES is offline   Reply With Quote