welcome to the CoG network!
Colony of Gamers

Old 10-29-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
Telefrog
Natural 20's!

EA Says Shut Up Or Else

Twentysided has the scoop on an enlightening post from an EA Official Forum Moderator. In it, the mod threatens that a ban from the EA forums will result in your EA games possibly being rendered inoperative.

Quote:
Well, its actually going to be a bit nastier for those who get banned.

Your forum account will be directly tied to your Master EA Account, so if we ban you on the forums, you would be banned from the game as well since the login process is the same. And youd actually be banned from your other EA games as well since its all tied to your account. So if you have SPORE and Red Alert 3 and you get yourself banned on our forums or in-game, well, your SPORE account would be banned to. Its all one in the same, so I strongly reccommend people play nice and act mature.

All in all, we expect people to come on here and abide by our ToS. We hate banning people, it makes our lives a lot tougher, but its what we have to do.

Those banned will stay banned, but like most other internet services, its not that hard to create a new fake e-mail account. However, its a lot harder to get a new serial key =)

Avatars should be back within 2 weeks of the launch.

-APOC
It should be noted that posting complaints about DRM, as well as generally bad behavior, can result in a ban. Essentially, EA is telling customers to shut up or they'll take your toys away.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #2
LongStepMantis
Waste of good suffering

So much for the "New EA" we've been hearing so much about.

Back to being the pricks I love to hate, and it feels right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshkdmw View Post
Consider the lilies of the field. They toil not, neither do they spin. And they have dick jokes aplenty.
LongStepMantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:10 PM   #3
DangerousDaze
Clearly the worst blue

Send a message via Skype™ to DangerousDaze
It could just be an over-zealous moderator; forum moderators generally have no control over game access. Does it explicitly state in the ToS that a forum ban can lead to a game ban?
DangerousDaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
biosc1
monoputer

I bet they are wishing they didn't tie everything together like that. It sounds like a neat idea to have only one account to cover everything...but...
biosc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
DoctorFinger
Editor in Chief

I think this is more a case of a mod trying to be a big man than any nefarious scheme by EA. In fact I bet the mod himself is banned for saying this. Remember: not everything EA does is evil.
DoctorFinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
LongStepMantis
Waste of good suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFinger View Post
I think this is more a case of a mod trying to be a big man than any nefarious scheme by EA. In fact I bet the mod himself is banned for saying this. Remember: not everything EA does is evil.
But...but...Damn, I was really hoping I could openly loathe them again.
I can wait, it's only a matter of time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshkdmw View Post
Consider the lilies of the field. They toil not, neither do they spin. And they have dick jokes aplenty.
LongStepMantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #7
J Arcane
Lambda Phage

1) This story is old.

2) It's also been debunked already, in exactly the fashion that DoctorFinger described.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #8
Telefrog
Natural 20's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arcane View Post
1) This story is old.

2) It's also been debunked already, in exactly the fashion that DoctorFinger described.
Links to debunking?

As far as I know, many (not all) of my old EA games are tied to the same Master EA account for online play. From what I know, Spore is directly tied to that account, so getting a Spore forum ban should make it very difficult to utilize the online Sporepedia features.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:39 PM   #9
itchyeyes
It's Space Weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telefrog View Post
Links to debunking?
http://kotaku.com/5054372/ea-respond...nning-concerns
Old 10-29-2008, 04:09 PM   #10
KingGorilla
Colonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorFinger View Post
How dare you bring your barbaric "critical thinking" into the internet.
KingGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:18 PM   #11
itchyeyes
It's Space Weather!

Why do I keep seeing these stories about forum moderators? Mods do not speak for companies, and often aren't even employees. If this is someone who actually has the ability to ban people from the game, then their position at EA most certainly isn't "forum moderator" and the article needs to refer to them by their real title. If they are just a mod then they're simply full of it and people need to stop getting their panties in a wad. "douchebag posts inflamatory message on Internet forum, news at 11"
Old 10-29-2008, 02:22 PM   #12
TrackZero
Sr. Features Editor

Sounds like "APOC" is about to get his ass fired. You don't threaten the customers over petty shit, that are completely unrelated to the product they purchased from you.

Edit: And yeah, all signs point to the fake.

Sr. Features Editor, Colony of Gamers
Gamertag - TrackZero
PSN ID - Tray-Kuh-Ze-Ro
[twitter][giantbomb]
TrackZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:25 PM   #13
DangerousDaze
Clearly the worst blue

The blame obviously partly resides with the mod in question but it also lies with the community manager who allows his moderators to make statements like this in the first place. Speaking personally, our rules explicitly forbid moderators from making any kind of community statement on pain of dismisal. Even the devs aren't allowed to post willy nilly.

If everyone understands the boundaries from the outset then problems like this (which paint EA in an extremely bad light) can't occur.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #14
itchyeyes
It's Space Weather!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousDaze View Post
The blame obviously partly resides with the mod in question but it also lies with the community manager who allows his moderators to make statements like this in the first place. Speaking personally, our rules explicitly forbid moderators from making any kind of community statement on pain of dismisal. Even the devs aren't allowed to post willy nilly.

If everyone understands the boundaries from the outset then problems like this (which paint EA in an extremely bad light) can't occur.
Sure they can occur. You can't actually dismiss the mod until after they post the inflamatory message, by which point the entire Internet has already linked to the message and interpreted it as representative of your company. And since this is the Internet, nobody ever bothers to actually check the source or updates on the story before passing judgment. As J Arcane pointed, the mod has already been dismissed, yet here we are a month after it happened, people still blaming EA for... for what? Not being able to predict with 100% certainty what their unpaid volunteers will post on their boards?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:40 PM   #15
DangerousDaze
Clearly the worst blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchyeyes View Post
for what? Not being able to predict with 100% certainty what their unpaid volunteers will post on their boards?
I'm not sure whether EA use unpaid volunteers on their forums. The mod in question obviously thought it was acceptable to post a message like that in order to try and clamp down on a situation on his or her forum. What I'm saying is that if she knew that any kind of statement would result in her dismissal then she would in all likelihood not have posted.

I accept your point though, saying it "can't happen" is too strong. Let's say it's far less likely to happen.

/edit - EA's statement says they do use volunteer mods.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:45 PM   #16
itchyeyes
It's Space Weather!

Quote:
I'm not sure whether EA use unpaid volunteers on their forums.
"These comments are absolutely not true or inline with EA's moderation policy. They were made by an over-zealous community volunteer ho does not work for EA." - link
Old 10-29-2008, 02:47 PM   #17
DangerousDaze
Clearly the worst blue

Quote:
"These comments are absolutely not true or inline with EA's moderation policy. They were made by an over-zealous community volunteer ho does not work for EA." - link
I already accepted that in my previous edit.

/edit - a volunteer ho?
Old 10-29-2008, 02:50 PM   #18
Telefrog
Natural 20's!

Quote:
Again, to clarify. This is the wrong story.

This is a separate and new incident.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #19
Goronmon
More QQ Less Pew Pew

Quote:
The mod in question obviously thought it was acceptable to post a message like that in order to try and clamp down on a situation on his or her forum. What I'm saying is that if she knew that any kind of statement would result in her dismissal then she would in all likelihood not have posted.
Volunteer mods for any board are little more than regular posters who have some extra permissions from my experience. I doubt they have any serious training over how to moderate the boards, and most are just working with their superior's assumption that they are not going to post stupid crap. Nothing prevents them from making an ass of themselves, just like nothing prevents a regular poster from making an ass of themselves.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:46 PM   #20
Adam Blue
Bluegamer.net

Send a message via AIM to Adam Blue Send a message via MSN to Adam Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Adam Blue
FACT:

APOC is an employee of EA. He's a community manager.

FACT:

Gamers are among the biggest group of douche-bags on the net. And as time goes, they continually get away with it (internet fuckwad theory). EA has such a huge following that a few bans won't hurt them - it will prove a point.

You know why it doesn't bother me? I have no plans to do anything that would result in a ban.

BlueGamer Bluecast Live Saturdays 5pm-7pm cst!
Previous episodes can be found here.
Adam Blue is offline   Reply With Quote