Colony of Gamers

Colony of Gamers (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/index.php)
-   Gaming News (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Court Documents Reveal New Details of Bungie's Next Series for Activision (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=26606)

DoctorFinger 05-21-2012 05:27 PM

Court Documents Reveal New Details of Bungie's Next Series for Activision

The courtroom battle between Activision and former Infinity Ward heads Jason West and Vince Zampella has once again generated some news that has almost nothing to do with Call of Duty. This time the treasure trove is about Bungie's first post-Microsoft, post-Halo project for Activision, currently codenamed Destiny.

These revelations are courtesy of the LA Times, and they start to fill in some of the picture on Destiny, which is referred to as a "sci-fantasy action shooter." The contract states that Bungie will make four full games in the Destiny series in alternating years starting in the fall of 2013. Even numbered years will see the release of expansion packs for the previously released games. The first Destiny will be exclusive to Microsoft, apparently on both the current 360 and it's successor, while the 2015 and later installments will spread to Sony consoles and the PC.

Based on previous reports we knew Destiny would be a space based action title with a huge multiplayer component. Some reports called it "WoW in Space", others said it had a multiplayer side as big as WoW, but it wasn't an MMO in the traditional sense.

The contract also allows Bungie to allocate up to 5% of their workforce towards a revival of Marathon, one of the company's early hits - along with Myth - for the Mac in the 1990s. That likely means they see it as a smaller downloadable title rather than a full retail release.

E3 is just around the corner, and there's a strong chance that something on Destiny will be revealed at the show in June.

Source - LA Times

[Addendum] - Internet sleuth Superannuation notes that Bungie is getting $50M plus royalties plus performance bonuses for developing just the first installment of Destiny. And they own the Destiny IP rights. That's... almost unheard of in this industry. Activision can opt out after D2 or if D1 sells fewer than 5M copies in 6 months. It also says that Microsoft had right of first refusal on the deal, and didn't take it. With that contract I sort of understand why.

DoctorFinger 05-21-2012 05:35 PM

Superannuation notes that Bungie is getting $50M plus royalties plus performance bonuses for developing just the first installment of Destiny. And they own the Destiny IP rights. That's... almost unheard of in this industry. Activision can opt out after D2 or if D1 sells fewer than 5M copies in 6 months. It also says that Microsoft had right of first refusal on the deal, and didn't take it. With that contract I sort of understand why.

fitbabits 05-21-2012 05:37 PM

Fuck. Me. Gently!

Karmakin 05-21-2012 06:34 PM

Wow. That's a hell of a deal.

I'm predicting a bomb.

bean 05-21-2012 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karmakin (Post 1007092)
I'm predicting a bomb.

It's a sci-fantasy action-shooter from the makers of Halo that will probably will sell at least 5 million at launch based on reputation alone (and thus return $200 million to the publisher. . . though of course, they'll be out $50 million in development and probably $20-30 million in marketing at that point.)

It's a fair deal for a company that is very likely to release another AAA hit.

PathMaster 05-21-2012 07:20 PM

Interesting that the initial release is exclusive, but later ones will not be. I am personally not a fan of playing the second game in a series without having played the first.

Reverant 05-21-2012 07:47 PM

A yearly release, alternating between a full title and an expansion? Seems like a pretty hectic schedule.

Karak 05-21-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PathMaster (Post 1007101)
Interesting that the initial release is exclusive, but later ones will not be. I am personally not a fan of playing the second game in a series without having played the first.

Ya I thought that was interesting as well. But it speaks to something going on for sure between them and MS, or a legacy agreement perhaps? Who knows.

Widgetcraft 05-21-2012 08:45 PM

I'm sure they'll get those royalties too, it's not as if Activision has a history of screwing people out of royalties.

Spigot 05-21-2012 09:14 PM

Damn it. I read part of the OP as saying that they will allocate resources to a new Myth game. That's the only part of this that interests me and I'm probably wrong about it.

KamaItachi 05-22-2012 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorFinger (Post 1007068)
The first Destiny will be exclusive to Microsoft, apparently on both the current 360 and it's successor, while the 2015 and later installments will spread to Sony consoles and the PC.

Interesting. So will we see 2 separate versions ala the start of this current gen or one version to carry across both systems with added features for the new machine?

OldJadedGamer 05-22-2012 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PathMaster (Post 1007101)

So get the system the initial game is for if you are interested in playing it?

Squidbot 05-22-2012 06:31 AM

Blah, blah, blah, stuff, stuff, blah MARATHON.
Say what?

DoctorFinger 05-22-2012 06:48 AM

I have a feeling that the MS exclusivity on the first game is probably a condition of their release from Microsoft control. It's really the only reason for it.
Quote:

Originally Posted by KamaItachi (Post 1007165)
Interesting. So will we see 2 separate versions ala the start of this current gen or one version to carry across both systems with added features for the new machine?

I assume the latter; the same basic game across both platforms but with lots of added bells and whistles on the 720 version.

PathMaster 05-22-2012 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldJadedGamer (Post 1007206)
So get the system the initial game is for if you are interested in playing it?

So for some the cost of entry goes up?

Not really a bad thing for me, as I own a 360, but if I did not, it might annoy me.

shodan2020 05-22-2012 12:57 PM

Wow, Destiny sounds really interesting. I wonder if they'll fit a little bit of Durandal in there. :)

bean 05-22-2012 01:40 PM

I played the Marathon remake and have decided all the fanboyism was about the fact that it was the only show in town on the Mac. It felt like playing Doom but with shitty level design to me. Your mileage may vary.

National Kato 05-22-2012 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squidbot (Post 1007207)
Blah, blah, blah, stuff, stuff, blah MARATHON.
Say what?

Blah, blah, blah, stuff, stuff, blah, marathon, blah, stuff, blah MYTH.

Now we're talking! ;)

Karak 05-22-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by National Kato (Post 1007380)
Blah, blah, blah, stuff, stuff, blah, marathon, blah, stuff, blah MYTH.

Now we're talking! ;)

Myth myth myth myth myth marathon myth myth

Is how I read it. No comma's just stream of consciousness.

Squidbot 05-22-2012 02:36 PM

I didn't think Bungie held the rights to Myth anymore though?