Colony of Gamers

Colony of Gamers (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/index.php)
-   Gaming News (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   In Other News...May 8 (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=26520)

DoctorFinger 05-08-2012 06:17 PM

In Other News...May 8

- The Japanese government rules certain game mechanics illegal. The mechanics, known as "kompu gacha" or "complete gotcha", force the player to constantly grind for random items which could be combined or traded for rare items. The Japanese government has received - and acted upon - numerous complaints and have decided that it's a form of illegal gambling. Japanese social game giants DeNA and Gree each lost about 25% of their stock market value as a result, and even publishers like Capcom and Konami lost significant value when the ruling was handed down.

- All multiplayer map packs for Starhawk will be released for free to try and avoid the player base fracturing that the original Warhawk's three map packs caused.

- The Tartarus update for Tribes Ascend went live today. It adds new maps for CTF (Tartarus) and Arena (Hinterlands) as well as the much requested loadouts for characters.

- Developer Lukewarm Media and publisher Reverb Publishing have released a new video for Primal Carnage, and both promise news on a beta and launch date should be coming soon.

Widgetcraft 05-08-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorFinger (Post 1001289)
- The Japanese government rules certain game mechanics illegal. The mechanics, known as "kompu gacha" or "complete gotcha", force the player to constantly grind for random items which could be combined or traded for rare items. The Japanese government has received - and acted upon - numerous complaints and have decided that it's a form of illegal gambling. Japanese social game giants DeNA and Gree each lost about 25% of their stock market value as a result, and even publishers like Capcom and Konami lost significant value when the ruling was handed down.

So... basically that yearly Monopoly game at McDonald's would be illegal in Japan?

Also: I think people are trying to make dinosaurs into the new zombies.

JayVe 05-08-2012 11:57 PM

Glad to see Starhawk getting free maps. Not just because I like free things, but because maps really do fragment the player base.

DLC shouldn't include multiplayer maps as it takes your online player base and divides them into silos. It is always a bad idea to segregate your community into haves and have-nots who can't play together.

Matthias 05-09-2012 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Widgetcraft (Post 1001376)
So... basically that yearly Monopoly game at McDonald's would be illegal in Japan?

Also: I think people are trying to make dinosaurs into the new zombies.

Monopoly might have an out because the pieces are attached to food items. I think most of these are sold independent of any other worthwhile merchandise.

JayVe 05-09-2012 12:35 AM

I think the Monopoly also has the 'No Purchase Necessary' rule where you can write-in to request game pieces.

Bandango 05-09-2012 01:09 AM

I played Primal Carnage at Pax. It was pretty janky but a lot of fun. I wonder what it will cost at launch?

menage 05-09-2012 01:16 AM

Well, that gacha thing seems like a stinking moneygrab, so good for them. This kinda shit ruins what games should be about and gives them a bad name.

Narradisall 05-09-2012 12:27 PM

Yeah, that gacha thing was actually in STO.

I was playing late game, and I bought a few ships, then they released one patch where you could buy keys for lock boxes that opened with a chance for you to get a ship.

I laughed at that and decided to go no where near it. That's some crazy shit and should be outlawed.

Widgetcraft 05-09-2012 01:29 PM

Well, this was worse. It's more like you open the box, and you get a token, let's call it token A. If you collect tokens A, B, C, D and E you get a ship. Maybe token C is particularly rare, ensuring that the ships aren't common.

Narradisall 05-09-2012 01:42 PM

Wow, what a shitty system.

I always feel two ways about such things.

A) That someone made such a shitty sysytem, and
B) That people actually support such systems with their wallets.

J Arcane 05-09-2012 02:47 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the ruling is aimed directly at shit like Perfect World's tactics. They are infamous for that shit, and I agree with the ruling. It's basically gambling by any other name.

As for Dinos being the new zombies, thank fuck for that. Tired of zombies.

menage 05-09-2012 02:57 PM

I'm tired of both:D

Widgetcraft 05-09-2012 03:02 PM

I'm actually not tired of dinosaurs because all of the dinosaur games released lately have been shitty in one way or another. Just pointing out that this seems to be a new trend. I expect that after they've ran dinosaurs into the ground, we'll reset back to aliens.

Karak 05-09-2012 03:13 PM

illegal game mechanics...damn.

Narradisall 05-09-2012 03:41 PM

I think you guys are missing the obvious next stop.

Zombie Dinosaurs

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/i/20..._VegasMike.jpg

Widgetcraft 05-09-2012 04:03 PM

...I know that at some point, I've seen a zombie T-rex. Anyone know where I saw such a thing?

menage 05-09-2012 04:13 PM

There was a zombie dinosaur in Shinobi 3 (after godzilla got axed) i think.

Maybe it was a robot dinosaur. Those are more common.

Spectre-7 05-09-2012 04:16 PM

Depending on how you define it, there was a zombie T-Rex in one of the Dresden books.

Wasson_ 05-09-2012 06:51 PM

Um...Parasite Eve?

DoctorFinger 05-09-2012 07:08 PM

Maybe one of the Dino Crisis games too? I know I've seen it too, but it may have be in another medium