Colony of Gamers

Colony of Gamers (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/index.php)
-   Gaming News (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale Announced (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=26430)

DoctorFinger 04-27-2012 06:25 AM

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale Announced

Smash Bros? Never heard if it...

So lets get this out of the way early on. Sony's just announced Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale looks a lot like Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. But any game of this type - a 4 player fighter - is going to look a lot like Smash Bros.

Fighters seen so far include Kratos, Sweet Tooth, PaRappa and Fat Princess. Look for it on the Playstation 3 later this year.

Source - Playstation Blog

Narradisall 04-27-2012 06:51 AM

Two things;

1) Thats a long name.
2) After all these years of charactersm, they open up with fucking PaRappa, Fat Princess etc? Really, do we not have a better lineup?

KamaItachi 04-27-2012 06:57 AM

So, no Vita version?

Do they actually want their goddamn handheld to fail?

DoctorFinger 04-27-2012 07:00 AM

There will be more coming but those 4 are the ones shown in the demo. I'm sure you'll see Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sackboy, Sly Cooper, Infamous Dude and more in it at launch.

Narradisall 04-27-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorFinger (Post 995903)
There will be more coming but those 4 are the ones shown in the demo. I'm sure you'll see Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sackboy, Sly Cooper, Infamous Dude and more in it at launch.

I know, but it's just amusing me that the showcase seems to be lacking most of the more popular Playstation exclusives.

Gorvi 04-27-2012 07:17 AM

It sounds kind of cool in concept, but it's just a Smash Bros copy, and I didn't exactly like Smash Bros. The potential for characters is there, they've got a ton of them (if they could work in that awful polygon head from the early PS1 ads that'd be great), but other than fan service, meh.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Narradisall (Post 995905)
I know, but it's just amusing me that the showcase seems to be lacking most of the more popular Playstation exclusives.

There's more than just that trailer:

SilentScreams 04-27-2012 07:22 AM

I loved Smash Bros but that trailer left me cold. It's missing the charm of SSB.

violent 04-27-2012 07:24 AM

I used to be a big fan of Smash Bros. so this is welcoming news. An entirely new collection of players as well as usable online functionality means I may coax a few friends into picking up their own copies.

The Iron Weasel 04-27-2012 07:28 AM

Needs wise cracking Nathan Drake.

Ink Asylum 04-27-2012 07:32 AM

Wow. They're really following the Smash Bros model to a T.

So what other characters could they include? Ico? It'd be interesting if they manage to get Solid Snake in there, too, even though MGS isn't a Sony exclusive.

violent 04-27-2012 07:33 AM

One of the Yakuza characters will likely make an appearance. Personally, I want to see Rolf from Phantasy Star 2.

Gorvi 04-27-2012 07:41 AM

I want to see a Locoroco and a Patapon fighting. Jumping Flash vs Gabe from Syphon Filter. Daxter vs Clank.

muddi900 04-27-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Iron Weasel (Post 995923)
Needs wise cracking Nathan Drake.

Fuck Nathan Drake, add more Elena!

Suave Peanut 04-27-2012 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ink Asylum (Post 995927)
Wow. They're really following the Smash Bros model to a T.

So what other characters could they include? Ico? It'd be interesting if they manage to get Solid Snake in there, too, even though MGS isn't a Sony exclusive.

Heh, yeah, it would be interesting if they got Solid Snake so they'd have a character that's been in both this and the real Smash Bros.

muddi900 04-27-2012 07:54 AM

5 lawyers died after reading Peanut's post!

MosBen 04-27-2012 08:04 AM

I can't see the video, but I'd rather somebody did a new, ripped off version of Powerstone than SSB.

quidmonkey 04-27-2012 08:08 AM

Well I'll be damned, that doesn't look half bad.

KSmitty 04-27-2012 08:10 AM

1.) About frickin time

2.) I hope this does well and Capcom follows up with a mega mix of their own with Smash inspired gameplay. (or even like Powerstone)

Also: I plan on kicking someone in the face with Master Onion.

bean 04-27-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorFinger (Post 995903)
I'm sure you'll see Ratchet & Clank, Jak & Daxter, Sackboy, Sly Cooper, Infamous Dude and more in it at launch.

Sly is actually shown in some of the video. Nice list though. I bet they'll have Nathan Drake too. If they are smart, they'll have the Valkyria Chronicles leader and his girlfriend too. Dante may or may not be included as DMC didn't stay on one platform.

1. I'm surprised the Playstation bench of characters is so thin. Honestly, Parappa was a pretty shitty rhythm game that got a lot of attention for being very new (if you ignored the better rhythm games on the Dreamcast). I guess Microsoft's would be even more thin and really adult. . . Masterchief, Sheperd from Mass Effect, I guess you get some Viva Pinatas, Banjo-Kazooie, and maybe Conker (if they really want to mine Rare to death). Then you'd get the Fable hero from Lionhead, but they seem to have been choked out by Microsoft (only allowed to make a known money-maker and then rushed to release before it was done - probably why Molyneux has jumped ship. . . Microsoft making Kinect bullshit also hurt as all their work on Milo and Kate was useless with the cheap product Microsoft chose to build), so only the one character from Lionhead. Yeah, Microsoft couldn't do this kind of game. They seemed to be a fairly supportive and game oriented publisher at the start of this generation, but when they got behind Kinect, they started losing money and trying to make up for it by fucking their software developers.

2. Fat Princess is annoying in the video because they turned her into a fighter. She should work like the pokemon trainer and all her moves should be her summoning wizards, archers, and warriors to fight for her. She should never take direct damage and you have to kill her by picking her up and ringing her out by throwing her. The player of Fat Princess can focus on moving her around to eat power-ups so that she is harder to fling and her minions should pick up and bring back cake power-ups that they find. Having her spinning around, doing belly-bumps, etc. totally disrespects the source fiction. The others seem okay, but we didn't get in depth and the poorly handled Fat Princess makes me worry the others will be just as bad.

3. I don't like Super Smash Bros., so I'm not excited about this either. Still, I know Super Smash Bros. was popular and I am excited for you guys.

Suave Peanut 04-27-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KSmitty (Post 995949)
2.) I hope this does well and Capcom follows up with a mega mix of their own with Smash inspired gameplay. (or even like Powerstone)

Well, they have tried something like that before...