Colony of Gamers

Colony of Gamers (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/index.php)
-   Gaming News (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   [Rumor] Timesplitters 4 May or May Not Be Real (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=26409)

DoctorFinger 04-25-2012 02:40 PM

[Rumor] Timesplitters 4 May or May Not Be Real

This is sort of like the Schrödinger's cat of rumors, in that it exists in multiple states at once. Official Xbox Magazine UK is reporting that "trusted sources" have seen Timesplitters 4 in action. But just because someone has seen it in action doesn't mean it's actually going to be released. On the other hand it could be announced at E3, and it could never be announced, and it may be for the next generation if it comes out and my head hurts from thinking about it.

Here's the thing. We know for a fact that a fourth Timesplitters was in development at Free Radical at some point before the studio went into administration. We don't know how far it was into development before the developer stopped work on it and was acquired by Crytek, but we know they were working on it. The studio is currently working on Homefront 2, but they've also spoken some about a mystery project they're attacked to. It's not a stretch to assume that project is a revival of Timesplitters.

Many gamers nowadays aren't too familiar with the Timesplitters series, but it was - for my money - one of the best FPS' of the previous generation. They managed a goofy, anything can happen feel while also making a great multiplayer shooter. It also included monkeys, mummies, dynamite, and monkeys hitting mummies with dynamite. But it's been a full 7 years since the last Timesplitters hit the market, and who knows if it would hold up.

Strangely this wouldn't be the first time a Free Radical/Crytek UK game was canned even after it was in a playable state. The studio had been working on Star Wars Battlefront III before the project was taken away by Lucasarts (a move which forced the studio into administration and eventually into the Crytek family). The game bounced around at least 2 other developers before fading away quietly a while back. It too seems to be rumored for a comeback every six months or so.

Sources - CVG; Co-Optimus

[Update] - Crytek UK puts the kibosh on this rumor in the most entertaining way possible.
Quote:

For Timesplitters 4, with ever spiralling development costs, massive teams and endless crunch we decided on a more radical development strategy.

In short, the experiment was to implement the infinite monkey theorem. With cloning being a far too expensive option, we spent all of the development budget on buying monkeys on the black market.

Those seven monkeys are now sat in a room with typewriters and lots of mirrors, and we fully expect Timesplitters 4 to be finished soon. Rumours are that they haven't written any code but just tease the press from time to time. Those damn monkeys.

"PS: anyone got any bananas?

BLeeP 04-25-2012 02:43 PM

You owe me a new keyboard, monitor, pair of pants, and information on how to deal with fifty boners.

Reverant 04-25-2012 02:44 PM

I remember having great fun with TS on the couch with buddies and my brother. It's like SSB in that way- part of the experience includes people playing right beside you. Now that we're all grown and separate, we'd have to play online. Not sure it'd be the same!

Reverant 04-25-2012 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLeeP (Post 994940)
You owe me a new keyboard, monitor, pair of pants, and information on how to deal with fifty boners.

1. Where did you find fifty boners?
2. Sounds like you need fifty hands.

BLeeP 04-25-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reverant (Post 994945)
1. Where did you find fifty boners?
2. Sounds like you need fifty hands.

I don't know, man. I read the headline and looked at my crotch and they were just there.

Wilkz07 04-25-2012 04:04 PM

only read the headline on this but i want it to be real. future perfect was awesome for local mp... so was TS2

Darkmatter 04-25-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLeeP (Post 994940)

I feel really bad for the 49 guys who now have to sit down to pee thanks to you... :(

Wasson_ 04-25-2012 09:25 PM

Idk...I think that they were fine games...but I distinctly remember feeling that there just weren't enough enemies in a lot of the levels.

the new time / level would be cool and all...and I'd start to be really digging the change of venue and then it would just be over.