Colony of Gamers

Colony of Gamers (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/index.php)
-   Gaming News (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Skyrim Getting Kinect Support on 360 This Month (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=26315)

DoctorFinger 04-12-2012 08:13 AM

Skyrim Getting Kinect Support on 360 This Month

If you've found yourself muttering 'Fus Ro Dah' while playing Skyrim, then this is the update for you. The title update coming later this month will add a host of Kinect functionality, including the oft requested dragon shouts and more.
Quote:

In addition to Dragon Shouts, the Kinect for Xbox 360 integration offers voice commands throughout the game including Hotkey Equipping, Follower Commands, and all Menus (Items, Magic, Map, Barter, Container, Favorites, and Skills). With Voice Commands, quickly create and load saves during gameplay and access menus and inventories. Skyrimís Kinect for Xbox 360 Support also adds new functionality including special map functions, additional hotkey options, and the ability to sort inventory items by name, weight, and value.
2 months ago I would have called this a gimmick. But after using the Kinect functionality in Mass Effect 3 I'd say it's...still a gimmick. But it could be a fun gimmick. It's both free and optional, but I think many of us may get a kick out of shouting Fus Ro Dah at the screen. But that means you'll actually have to learn the syllables in the dragon shouts. Which may be tough for me at least.

Source - Bethesda Blog

The Iron Weasel 04-12-2012 08:17 AM

That looks surprisingly awesome. I actually had a conversation with a friend recently about how I wanted to use Kinect for shouts.

MalReynolds 04-12-2012 08:21 AM

too bad i have the PS3 version

menage 04-12-2012 08:40 AM

I have nothing against Kinect, but I'd rather have some new content.

I'm also never going to yell at my screen.

Karak 04-12-2012 08:46 AM

Got to see the hacked integration a month ago and its amazing really adds a totally different feel for Skyrim and, in my opinion, added something to the game that I didn't know was missing until I got to use it. This will hopefully be even moreso.

EDIT: I saw this only on the PC. But I am assuming its the same

fitbabits 04-12-2012 08:54 AM

Nifty! I'll be checking it out.

Stmfuller 04-12-2012 09:05 AM

It's kind of goofy to release stuff like this late in the game. While it changes the game a little it won't change it enough to make me want to go back

DoctorFinger 04-12-2012 09:39 AM

But, it could be really cool to have when the DLC is released

Narradisall 04-12-2012 11:06 AM

I actually used the voice commands in ME3, for about two hours, before things started to get more complex and I wanted my team mates to be doing multiple abilities at once.

Saying

Incindary ammo!
Garrus, overload
Liara warp
Concussion shot!

Took time I didn't have in game, so pausing and doing them all at once was quicker.

In Skyrim though, I could see me using the shouts more, as I'm not needing to do multiple shouts at once, and pausing and switching shouts in Skyrim was a LOT more cumbersome unless you had them on shortcut, and even then it cut you out the action.

Being able to perform shouts on the fly would be a lot more useful, and I found it handy in ME3.

iHap 04-12-2012 11:33 AM

In related news, you are already able to do this with a Mod for PC. :)

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=5626

ThievesAmongUs 04-12-2012 12:51 PM

This "Game Jam" idea has produced some really cool working concepts for Skyrim, and it's awesome to see them trickle down into the retail releases (most notably, the consoles).

Addendum: I'd love to see the "build house from scratch" concept fully implemented. (Or flaming horses)

bapenguin 04-12-2012 01:18 PM

I love how the Kinect voice stuff works in Mass Effect 3 for squad commands. I'm digging these extra uses for it rather than the motion based stuff.

TheKeck 04-12-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narradisall (Post 988431)
In Skyrim though, I could see me using the shouts more, as I'm not needing to do multiple shouts at once, and pausing and switching shouts in Skyrim was a LOT more cumbersome unless you had them on shortcut, and even then it cut you out the action.

Took you out of the action? It was one keyboard press to switch shouts? :confused:

Also, am I the only one who doesn't have a clue about what the words are to the various shouts? In my mind there's "the fire one", "the ice one", "the push guys one", etc. etc. :p

Reverant 04-12-2012 01:30 PM

I need a mod that starts playing the heroic theme music from the trailer every time I shout FUS RO DAH! Then I will absolutely be into this.

Narradisall 04-12-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKeck (Post 988549)
Took you out of the action? It was one keyboard press to switch shouts? :confused:

Also, am I the only one who doesn't have a clue about what the words are to the various shouts? In my mind there's "the fire one", "the ice one", "the push guys one", etc. etc. :p

Not on the 360 it wasn't. :D

Kinda where 'Kinect' comes in handy.

TheKeck 04-12-2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narradisall (Post 988561)
Not on the 360 it wasn't. :D

Kinda where 'Kinect' comes in handy.

I feel shame.

Edit: But not as much shame as anyone should feel for gaming on 360 rather than PC! :p

MosBen 04-12-2012 02:17 PM

Yeah, I remember a video from a few weeks ago about how when Skyrim was released the set the devs free to work on whatever they wanted for a week, and this was one of the things one of them did. Pretty neat, and I love the idea that this type of thing can actually make it into the game when it came from just telling the devs to have fun.

Wolvie 04-12-2012 02:20 PM

It's funny, when I played Mass Effect 3, I rarely used the voice feature. Every so often I'd get pissed at something and blurt out a conversation tree I agreed with, and it reacted to it... which was... neat.

This seems like the same thing on Skyrim, only instead of a grenade command, it's shouts. It would be nice if they added an option to make the magic actually have it's own button on the 360 version, like on Oblivion. Since the shouts button could be freed up.

Stmfuller 04-12-2012 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorFinger (Post 988388)
But, it could be really cool to have when the DLC is released

no arguments there. It just made more sense to release it with the initial game.

Either way.

TheKeck 04-12-2012 02:54 PM

So AM I the only one who has no idea what the magical shout words are? I find this surprising.