Colony of Gamers

Colony of Gamers (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/index.php)
-   Gaming News (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mass Effect 3 'Extended Cut' Free DLC Coming This Summer (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=26263)

DoctorFinger 04-05-2012 07:33 AM

Mass Effect 3 'Extended Cut' Free DLC Coming This Summer

Bioware announced today that an "Extended Cut" DLC will be made available for free this summer for Mass Effect 3.
Quote:

Through additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will give fans seeking further clarity to the ending of Mass Effect 3 deeper insights into how their personal journey concludes.
It sounds like this DLC may not include any new gameplay, just new cinematics to help "clarify" the controversial ending. It's free, so we can't complain too much if it's just cinematics, but I somehow doubt this will actually change the minds of anyone who hated the endings included on the discs.

Widgetcraft 04-05-2012 07:38 AM

Press Release

Yeah, I doubt that this is going to help. Though I haven't gotten to the ending myself, it seems like people really disliked what happened at the end, rather than how deeply they go into it. I could be wrong though.

Also: You'll apparently want to get in on this before April 12th, 2014.

Ink Asylum 04-05-2012 07:41 AM

I was only mildly disappointed by the ending, and this addresses half of my concerns. The other half involves making the final mission more interesting, but that doesn't look like it's in the cards.

National Kato 04-05-2012 07:47 AM

I didn't hate the ending, but it took a YouTube video to break down what it all meant and the lack of some closure with beloved characters was disappointing. This will likely remedy the latter of my complaints. Still, Mass Effect 3 was a blockbuster experience. I enjoyed it a ton (except the planet scanning/Reaper chases).

DoctorFinger 04-05-2012 07:49 AM

The new ending will have the Princess of Earth bestowing medals on some while the others celebrate joyously with the Ewoks Krogans

Ink Asylum 04-05-2012 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorFinger (Post 985238)
The new ending will have the Princess of Earth bestowing medals on some while the others celebrate joyously with the Ewoks Krogans

And the ghosts of your dead friends stand off to the side smiling.

DoctorFinger 04-05-2012 07:54 AM

Actually, I hope it's just each member of the cast screaming "KAAAAHHHHHNNNN!" at the top of their lungs. While 'All Along The Watchtower' plays. And they were all dead for the last game.

Ink Asylum 04-05-2012 07:58 AM

I'm glad they're releasing this for free. People will still complain that this doesn't do exactly what they wanted, but at least we won't have everyone complaining about how this is a naked money grab.

Farsight 04-05-2012 08:00 AM

It sounds like it'll still be a poorly written ending, just not an incomplete one.

It addresses my biggest complaint about the ending though, so I'm curious.

Squidbot 04-05-2012 08:01 AM

Beat me to the punch, Doc.
I didn't ask for this. Oh, sorry wrong franchise. Personally I had no problems with the ending. I'll likely pick up the DLC anyway though.

menage 04-05-2012 08:03 AM

I still haven't finished as well, but that's more to do that I kinda lost interest in the way the game evolved as a whole. I'll try to soldier through this weekend. All this talk of the ending made me curious.

MosBen 04-05-2012 08:04 AM

Like people above, I was only mildly disappointed by the ending, but really that only set in when I saw on You Tube how extremely similar each of the endings were. But in the moment that I was playing, I enjoyed it.

Of course, I chose the synthesis ending option, which I increasingly believe was the wrong choice. The indoctrination theory is really compelling. If the only purpose of this new ending is to flesh out what the endings meant, I really hope it endorses the indoctrination ending.

DoctorFinger 04-05-2012 08:05 AM

Guys, please leave this thread spoiler-safe. Not everyone here has beaten the game yet.

Ink Asylum 04-05-2012 08:13 AM

Took a glance at the official Bioware forums. Still plenty of people complaining, mostly because this is exactly what they asked for. Lots of people want the ending completely changed, not just clarification.

At least this confirms that they won't be getting that, so they can move on and abandon the series, Bioware, or EA if they're still upset.

diablopath 04-05-2012 08:24 AM

My biggest issue with the ending was that it was so abrupt. No follow through on what actually happens afterwards. I think this will clear that up. Give us an idea of what happens to the universe we leave behind. That's all I want, and it sounds like that's what we're getting.

Gwinny 04-05-2012 08:40 AM

Cool.

10chars.

Vermillion 04-05-2012 08:56 AM

Who is this really marketed at? The people who were fine with the ending don't need additional cinematics. The people that hated the ending aren't going to hold on to this game for 3+ more months to get some more videos for them to bitch about.

This seems like a collasal waste of time. Give me more gameplay (more maps for multi), not cinematics.

Ink Asylum 04-05-2012 08:59 AM

It's marketed at me, at least, and I'm sure plenty of other people based on comments I've read here and elsewhere. It's not going to make everyone happy, and we'll be getting traditional DLC, too, although it might be delayed in order to get this out.

Ten19 04-05-2012 09:05 AM

I dunno if something that is free is "marketed" at anyone, per se. They're trying to appease their fanbase by further elaborating on the events at the end and ultimately trying to preserve the legacy of the game, I think. I'll definitely be downloading it, but am as wary as well. Guess we'll see this summer!

Laughing Penguin 04-05-2012 09:06 AM

FWIW, in an interview on egde-online.com Jennifer Hale talked about how she was NOT called in to record any new dialogue, or given any indication that she would be. So set your expectations accordingly...