Colony of Gamers

Colony of Gamers (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/index.php)
-   Gaming News (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mechwarrior Online Shows Us Some Gameplay (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=26079)

MachEnergy 03-14-2012 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthera (Post 973702)
I plan to play and enjoy both. Hawken looks more like a fun, kinetic experience and a great shooter but it probably won't have the tactical depth or longevity of Mechwarrior. With Mechwarrior, you want to be able to see exactly what's happening, where your weapons are hitting, where everyone is, etc. A faced-paced experience is directly opposed to that.

+1

Best of all, these will both be F2P....nothing to lose in trying them both.

Ghostbear 03-14-2012 11:43 AM

Questions and answers on combat.

Pale Ale 03-14-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayVe (Post 973566)

I liked it better when I called it a Marauder*

*Or an Officer Pod for you misanthropes

bean 03-14-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Arcane (Post 973465)
I will have a Catapult, bristling with missiles, and bombard the shit out of my enemies from half a map away.

Go for it. The Catapult's weakness is that it's an easy headshot (especially for jumpers) though I tend to pick an Atlas when it becomes available and due to my slow speed, you could probably hurt me pretty bad before I got a headshot lined up (especially if you moved in profile and only lined up to empty your LRMs after they reloaded).

The Q&A says that lances should be varied though, so maybe I'll get to run around in a panther doing skill shots and "wasting" some enemy fire as they struggle to hit me.

MachEnergy 03-14-2012 12:44 PM

This is a lot like how I'm not a car guy, and I've tried to watch Top Gear and all the jokes go way over my head. "I can't believe Whirleygig Phalanx reconfigured their intake manifold tubing with Jasper Carrington's old stock whatchamacallits. It's like Firebrand Motors using PX20-01 claspers instead of dingbat ball sockets all over again!" {hearty room-filling laughs}....me: o_O

What I'm trying to say is I'm proud of you all :) I humbly present myself for learnification.

Panthera 03-14-2012 12:50 PM

I first learned to play battletech like fifteen year ago, have played through most of the mechwarrior games, and clocked tons of hours in megamek, yet I still scratch my head a bit when playing with battletech fans that can identify every mech by its sillhouette and talk about its history and role and how efficient/inefficient it is. I still can't tell an Atlas from an Awesome without looking at my sheet.

MachEnergy 03-14-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthera (Post 973743)
I first learned to play battletech like fifteen year ago, have played through most of the mechwarrior games, and clocked tons of hours in megamek, yet I still scratch my head a bit when playing with battletech fans that can identify every mech by its sillhouette and talk about its history and role and how efficient/inefficient it is. I still can't tell an Atlas from an Awesome without looking at my sheet.

Thank you for your honesty. So.....next applicant? ;)

You just reminded me of my frustration trying to collect cars in LA Noire. There's like 130 of them, but in my brain, there are 4. I'm starting to think the overall issue might be that I'm stupid.

Ghostbear 03-14-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthera (Post 973743)

If you can't tell the difference between
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/e/e8/3025_Awesome1.jpg

and

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/3/3a/3025_Atlas1.jpg

It kinda makes me think your eyeballs don't work.

bean 03-14-2012 02:13 PM

Oh, I know them from videogames only and then I only know a handful of them by name. The Juggernaut is a huge "tanky" mech. The "Atlas" is gargantuan and is basically an insane mobile weapons platform that can have a variety of configurations. The Catapult is all about long range missiles, and then you have a bunch of shitbird little mechs that are very mobile, but traditionally have not been able to deal with the firepower of the big mechs.

Honestly, there has never been a reason to use a light mech if you have a heavier one available. Their mobility isn't that much better and you can buy more mobile legs for heavier mechs. . . the big thing that hurts you in mechwarrior is weight limit, and light mechs have the lowest weight limit. More weight limit means more weapons, armor, heatsinks, and weight capacity to throw at faster legs (or even jump jets) should you want these things. Can someone please contradict me on this? This has been my experience, but I'd love to hear how a light mech might not suck.

In the pen-and-paper game, they had a mechanic for jump jets that allowed you to deal damage to both mechs by jumping on top of another mech. I built a "Dragoon" mech that was simply very heavy and had a ridiculous amount of armor and jump jets. This allowed it to jump very far so that it could crush itself into other mechs over and over. My brother immediately banned it from the game after about 3 rounds versus the catapult he loves.

J Arcane 03-14-2012 02:14 PM

ATLAS LEGS DO NOT BEND THAT WAY!

http://www.comicmix.com/wp-content/u...61129morbo.gif

Ghostbear 03-14-2012 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bean (Post 973780)
Oh, I know them from videogames only and then I only know a handful of them by name. The Juggernaut is a huge "tanky" mech. The "Atlas" is gargantuan and is basically an insane mobile weapons platform that can have a variety of configurations. The Catapult is all about long range missiles, and then you have a bunch of shitbird little mechs that are very mobile, but traditionally have not been able to deal with the firepower of the big mechs.

Honestly, there has never been a reason to use a light mech if you have a heavier one available. Their mobility isn't that much better and you can buy more mobile legs for heavier mechs. . . the big thing that hurts you in mechwarrior is weight limit, and light mechs have the lowest weight limit. More weight limit means more weapons, armor, heatsinks, and weight capacity to throw at faster legs (or even jump jets) should you want these things. Can someone please contradict me on this? This has been my experience, but I'd love to hear how a light mech might not suck.

In the pen-and-paper game, they had a mechanic for jump jets that allowed you to deal damage to both mechs by jumping on top of another mech. I built a "Dragoon" mech that was simply very heavy and had a ridiculous amount of armor and jump jets. This allowed it to jump very far so that it could crush itself into other mechs over and over. My brother immediately banned it from the game after about 3 rounds versus the catapult he loves.

You are about 90% wrong. You can't just add faster legs or whatever you called them. Speed is dictated by engine, the more engine you put the more room it takes thereby removing space for weapons, armor, etc. Light mechs move upwards of 4 times faster than assault mechs. Also you were doing Death from Above wrong. You take incredible damage to your mech's legs if you do a DFA attack. That's why it's considered a last ditch move. Your description makes me think you guys had no idea what you were doing. In a city fight, which we will have in this game a medium mech with jumpjets will tear most heavy and assault mechs apart. Your ideas only hold true if you have two morons just staring straight at each other not moving.

MachEnergy 03-14-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostbear (Post 973791)
Your ideas only hold true if have two morons just staring straight at each other not movie.

I knew you were a chatbot!

Ghostbear 03-14-2012 02:33 PM

Hah! Yeah, just fixed it.

Panthera 03-14-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostbear (Post 973779)
It kinda makes me think your eyeballs don't work.

Woah, settle down there. I just mean if you show me one and ask me what it is and I probably won't be able to answer. If I'm lucky I'll recognize the round head of the Atlas but there's no chance I'd be able to name the Awesome.

Panthera 03-14-2012 02:40 PM

About death from above - every single time I've seen someone do it in the board game they usually get shot to pieces, miss, and fall on their ass.

Ghostbear 03-14-2012 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panthera (Post 973803)
Woah, settle down there. I just mean if you show me one and ask me what it is and I probably won't be able to answer. If I'm lucky I'll recognize the round head of the Atlas but there's no chance I'd be able to name the Awesome.

I wasn't upset, though bean's shenanigans rankled.

Pale Ale 03-14-2012 03:01 PM

Fuck it!!! This thread is Urbanmechs!

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/images/a/a..._UrbanMech.jpg

Ghostbear 03-14-2012 03:15 PM

The Urbies are attacking!

bean 03-14-2012 04:25 PM

Been years since I played this Ghostbear, so sorry if a few of my details insulted your fandom, but I appreciate the information (sans the snark).

Quote:

Also you were doing Death from Above wrong. You take incredible damage to your mech's legs if you do a DFA attack. That's why it's considered a last ditch move.
I was min-maxing, but it was done right according to multiple nerds who looked at the rules and my "Dragoon" with no faults found in the rules (of course we were 8th and 10th graders who played this for about a week, so we could have been wrong). Just put a ton of armor on the legs and realized I could only do it 3-5 times (with the later ones being less thrust up and thus less damage). It made for really fast rounds and quick wins - thus it's ban. I'm not sure why this anecdote about a mechanic for an old pen-and-paper game has you reaching for your gun mate.

Quote:

In a city fight, which we will have in this game a medium mech with jump-jets will tear most heavy and assault mechs apart. Your ideas only hold true if you have two morons just staring straight at each other not moving.
I'm thinking about videogames I've played as the pen-and-paper game was something I played with my brother for like a week before we got bored with it.

Clearly, your fandom is making you a bit comic-book-guy-ish when you think your opinions are being challenged, and I'm not interested in a nerd-fight. The reason I asked questions is because my knowledge on this has atrophied a bit. I feel like a bit like I asked an IT guy a question because you had to start by telling me how retarded I am before providing some useful information. ;)

My experience with the mechwarrior videogames is that a lighter mech is just always easier to kill in every situation. Maybe the AI just isn't smart enough to know how to circle behind for an easy kill or the special set of circumstances you imagine that would allow a smaller mech to best a larger one didn't exist in those games. While the large mechs did seem slower, they never felt sufficiently slower that something could strafe behind me faster than my turn radius, so back-pedaling while unloading on them worked fine, and in a city-scape, it was easy to place your back to a wall and strafe along it. They built those games weird though because you always had a sort of super-mech compared to the challengers. . . and you had to because it was you vs. a shit-ton of bad guys. . . well, unless it was a game that gave you a Lance. Those were really fun, but I hated having people in my Lance in light mechs because they would buy it so easily.

Can you tell me how I was playing the light mechs wrong? I LOVE playing characters that excel by being very fast and precise, so if this is viable, I'd actually like to do it.

Ghostbear 03-14-2012 04:36 PM

Light mechs are scouts and harrassers, they are not intended to go to war with mechs 3 times their size. Mechwarrior Online will be different because you will be rewarded for performing these roles, not just destroying your opponents. Tactically light mechs are ALWAYS viable, they just can't tangle with assaults. You ID the enemy, maybe take a shot and run. Or you circle around behind while a heavy is engaging it.