Colony of Gamers

Colony of Gamers (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/index.php)
-   Gaming News (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mechwarrior Online Shows Us Some Gameplay (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=26079)

Ghostbear 03-13-2012 05:24 PM

No pulse lasers considering the timeline. At least not at first.

bean 03-13-2012 05:33 PM

Half the fun of mechwarrior occurs before the battle when you are balancing your loadout vs. the weight limit of the chasis and how much firepower you can have vs. how many heatsinks you need.

Personally, my favorite thing to do is to have 2 banks of SRMs and a ton of lasers/heatsinks that let me keep firing. I go light on armor to emphasize offense and I use the lasers to target the enemy's weakpoint. . . all mechs have a weakpoint like having most of their weapons on the right side or they are fast but have poorly armored legs. I'm the guy that slowly backpedals and hits you where you least want to be hit over and over. The SRMs are just so if a fight starts crowded, you can bull-rush the weaker enemies so that you are dueling by the time you are down to lasers.

Wasson_ 03-13-2012 05:48 PM

I have always favored laser-based builds too...That brings up questions as to how strong the laser weapons are going to be. In the standard single player games of the past, even the medium laser is pathetically weak on it's own.

They pointed out ballistic weapons ammo stores will be reloaded by spending the players actual in-game soft currency, they my have a serious edge, perhaps dealing both damage to armor and internals, where as lasers merely ablate armor on the surface first.

BTW- since you mention this timeline Ghostbear - they have PPCs but not Gauss Rifles? Or did I miss something. the Gauss Rifle is as iconic as the PPC IMO.

Vandabo 03-13-2012 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostbear (Post 973299)
There will be objective based combat and "Role Warfare" you will load modules that give you better command and control,scouting, artillery support, etc. You will also have city maps where circle strafing will NOT work. This will be 12 v 12 if I recall correctly.

Role Warfare
Role Warfare continued

Mech Warfare

Seriously though click those links.

This is sounding very much like World of Tanks but with Mechs. Which is fine with me, by the way. As long as there is a good amount of loadout customization I will be happy.

Reverant 03-13-2012 05:58 PM

Oh, man. That Battletech MMO they tried to launch 10 years ago was one of the best games I ever played, and probably the game I was most disappointed to hear got cancelled. I'm hoping this fills that void in my heart.

Ghostbear 03-13-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wasson_ (Post 973342)
I have always favored laser-based builds too...That brings up questions as to how strong the laser weapons are going to be. In the standard single player games of the past, even the medium laser is pathetically weak on it's own.

They pointed out ballistic weapons ammo stores will be reloaded by spending the players actual in-game soft currency, they my have a serious edge, perhaps dealing both damage to armor and internals, where as lasers merely ablate armor on the surface first.

BTW- since you mention this timeline Ghostbear - they have PPCs but not Gauss Rifles? Or did I miss something. the Gauss Rifle is as iconic as the PPC IMO.

Should be gauss rifles. The medium laser is generally only powerful in groups. By that I mean groups of lasers.

Ghostbear 03-13-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandabo (Post 973344)
This is sounding very much like World of Tanks but with Mechs. Which is fine with me, by the way. As long as there is a good amount of loadout customization I will be happy.

They will have established variants of mechs, but I dont believe you're gonna be strapping a PPC onto your Jenner.

Pale Ale 03-13-2012 06:03 PM

If I gotta pay for ammo I hope looting and salvage become a big factor.

Ghostbear 03-13-2012 06:04 PM

You won't pay with actual money for ammo, but with the money you earn in matches.

Pale Ale 03-13-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostbear (Post 973351)
They will have established variants of mechs, but I dont believe you're gonna be strapping a PPC onto your Jenner.

Besides they have those, they're called Panthers.

Ghostbear 03-13-2012 06:14 PM

Don't you try to school me on Battletech son. I WILL WRECK YOU.

Wasson_ 03-13-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostbear (Post 973348)
Should be gauss rifles. The medium laser is generally only powerful in groups. By that I mean groups of lasers.

Yeah I've always found a group of 4 mediums perfectly fill the role of filling the void between more powerful weapons cycling.

however having them in a huge group and alpha striking is another story.

Because the Nova ruled for that in Mech 2. :)

Pale Ale 03-13-2012 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostbear (Post 973365)
Don't you try to school me on Battletech son. I WILL WRECK YOU.

I love GB.

BabyJesus 03-13-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostbear (Post 973299)
There will be objective based combat and "Role Warfare" you will load modules that give you better command and control,scouting, artillery support, etc. You will also have city maps where circle strafing will NOT work. This will be 12 v 12 if I recall correctly.

Role Warfare
Role Warfare continued

Mech Warfare

Seriously though click those links.

Thanks now I'm interested.

J Arcane 03-13-2012 09:14 PM

I will play this game.

I will have a Catapult, bristling with missiles, and bombard the shit out of my enemies from half a map away.

JayVe 03-13-2012 10:34 PM

While this looks like Mechwarrior and Battletech, I am thinking that Hawken is more of what I am looking for these days.

Pale Ale 03-13-2012 10:49 PM

There are no Awesomes in Hawken

JayVe 03-14-2012 03:11 AM

I don't need brand-name mechs to enjoy.

Honestly, I don't even care for many of the Battletech designs. The original licensed original mechs were cool, but after the first technical manual, many of the designs are boxy, unoriginal and dull. Now, the Awesome is more excellent than the over-hyped Atlas, but I love the look of the Zeus. Although, Hawken has its own cool style to mechs too.

http://www.playhawken.com/images/calendarGraphic.jpg

Overall, Hawken just looks more badass. Much more badass! The Mechwarrior video in this thread looks slow and dull compared to the Hawken videos.

Hawken looks more kinetic, like you are really in a giant earth-stomping mech. Things are faster, and the action more intense without being FPS-level twitchy. The environments have character and atmosphere rather than Mechwarrior's relatively bland open areas. Hawken also has extensive and clever use of jump-jets.

torrefaction 03-14-2012 10:06 AM

Why isn't this made with the Frostbite engine?

(This question is rhetorical.)

Panthera 03-14-2012 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayVe (Post 973566)
Hawken looks more kinetic, like you are really in a giant earth-stomping mech. Things are faster, and the action more intense without being FPS-level twitchy. The environments have character and atmosphere rather than Mechwarrior's relatively bland open areas. Hawken also has extensive and clever use of jump-jets.

I plan to play and enjoy both. Hawken looks more like a fun, kinetic experience and a great shooter but it probably won't have the tactical depth or longevity of Mechwarrior. With Mechwarrior, you want to be able to see exactly what's happening, where your weapons are hitting, where everyone is, etc. A faced-paced experience is directly opposed to that.