Colony of Gamers

Colony of Gamers (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/index.php)
-   Gaming News (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Molyneux Leaves Lionhead for Indie Studio. (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=26028)

Squidbot 03-07-2012 07:46 AM

Molyneux Leaves Lionhead for Indie Studio.

Peter Molyneux has announced that he's leaving Microsoft-owned Lionhead studios, where he has worked for 15 years, to join an indie start-up studio called 22 Cans. He will also relinquish his post as the creative head of Microsoft Studios Europe.

The veteran figure will continue to oversee the development of Fable: The Journey as a creative consultant, but this will be his final project for the studio he co-founded after leaving legendary studio Bullfrog, which was bought out by EA 1995.

Molyneux confirmed his departure publicly by giving a statement to Kotaku regarding his motivations.

"It is with mixed emotions that I made the decision to leave Microsoft and Lionhead Studios, the company that I co-founded in 1997, at the conclusion of development of Fable: The Journey," he explained.

"I remain extremely passionate and proud of the people, products and experiences that we created, from Black & White to Fable to our pioneering work with Milo and Kate for the Kinect platform. However, I felt the time was right to pursue a new independent venture. I'd like to thank the team at Lionhead, as well as our partners at Microsoft Studios for their support, dedication and incredible work over the years."

Source: Kotaku

Wolvie 03-07-2012 07:52 AM

I feel an insignificant disturbance in the force... as if millions of people didn't give a crap and were suddenly indifferent.

Squidbot 03-07-2012 07:54 AM

He designed a lot of great games, so I'm interested to see what he comes up with next. He gets a pass from me on Dungeon Keep alone!

Gorvi 03-07-2012 07:57 AM

He hasn't made a single game I can think of that I care about, but he's one man in the industry who I love to hear just talk about games.

Squidbot 03-07-2012 07:58 AM

Really? Not one? Not even for their contribution to the genres?
EDIT: don't get me wrong, in recent years he hasn't been that great, and his personality is... amusing, but his contribution to our hobby has been pretty big.
I met the guy once, arrogant is a word that springs to mind.

Gorvi 03-07-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squidbot (Post 969696)
Really? Not one? Not even for their contribution to the genres?
EDIT: don't get me wrong, in recent years he hasn't been that great, and his personality is... amusing, but his contribution to our hobby has been pretty big.
I met the guy once, arrogant is a word that springs to mind.

Nope, but I didn't really have any exposure to most of his earlier PC work that he's most revered for. The only thing I've played is Fable, and I hated it.

He may be arrogant, but damn, I love listening to him speak. Peter Molyneux and David Jaffe are probably the only two people in the industry who I will always make time to listen to. They're arrogant, sure, but their passion for what they do is incredible, and they're both brilliant in their own way.

J Arcane 03-07-2012 08:17 AM

Well, there goes the neighborhood.

Wolvie 03-07-2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squidbot (Post 969694)
He designed a lot of great games, so I'm interested to see what he comes up with next. He gets a pass from me on Dungeon Keep alone!

Only teasing Squid. :)

LongStepMantis 03-07-2012 08:24 AM

He's certainly seems to be an all-or-nothing kind of figure. His games are either spectacular and revered, or his ambition gets ahead of what the game can actually deliver. More of the latter by a wide margin for years now, but I know he has the ideas to make great games. He just needs to make sure the "realization of said vision" part is there before he starts shooting his mouth off.

Squidbot 03-07-2012 08:26 AM

Aye. Someone needs to keep him away from marketing/PR.

Shjinta 03-07-2012 08:27 AM

Good, now go get the rights to Dungeon Keeper and make me my fucking third game!

Wolvie 03-07-2012 08:29 AM

Yeah, I'll pretty much always remember the guy for promising us the moon with Fable. Then delivering a disappointingly average action RPG.

Squidbot 03-07-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolvie (Post 969710)
Yeah, I'll pretty much always remember the guy for promising us the moon with Fable. Then delivering a disappointingly average action RPG.

You can carve your initials into a sapling and come back years later to see your initials on a giant oak!

And what ever happened to BC?

CES 03-07-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolvie (Post 969692)
I feel an insignificant disturbance in the force... as if millions of people didn't give a crap and were suddenly indifferent.

You deserve a medal. Maybe this means the next Fable game will have some actual depth to it that doesn't involve leaving the game running in the background for a while.

MagGnome 03-07-2012 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squidbot (Post 969694)

You left Dungeon Keeper out of the OP. I was just about to chastise you for it.

I haven't cared for his more recent projects, but he designed some of my all-time favorites back in the 90s. I spent countless hours with Dungeon Keeper, Magic Carpet, Theme Park, and Populous 3. I also replayed the first two levels of Black & White several times.

Hopefully his new indie studio will make games along those lines and less like Fable.

This also means that another MS studio is essentially biting the dust. How many internal studios do they have left? Turn 10, Rare, and 343, is that it?

Wolvie 03-07-2012 08:55 AM

Not so ninja edit:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Squidbot (Post 969716)
You can carve your initials into a sapling and come back years later to see your initials on a giant oak!

And what ever happened to BC?

Yeah, that and the tale of how you could cut a boys cheek, then come back years later and find a man where the boy once was. He would remember you, freak out and run away. Or get pissed and attack you.

Where is this game mechanic Molyneux. WHERE IS IT?!

Edit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CES (Post 969722)
You deserve a medal. Maybe this means the next Fable game will have some actual depth to it that doesn't involve leaving the game running in the background for a while.

I'd ask for something more like what the vision of Project Ego was... but Skyrim came closer than Fable ever did. Hell, at this point I just want a good Fable game.

Squidbot 03-07-2012 08:58 AM

Given that the guy is equal parts game design genius and arrogant cock, I thought my choice of image was perfect.

J Arcane 03-07-2012 09:00 AM

People liked Populous 3?

SilentScreams 03-07-2012 09:04 AM

I love Molyneux. He's not always great, but more people in this industry need his passion and ambition. I think working with a lesser budget will be good for him though. It might stop him from overextending himself as much.

Squidbot 03-07-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J Arcane (Post 969734)
People liked Populous 3?

Not people: Mags.