Colony of Gamers

Colony of Gamers (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/index.php)
-   Gaming News (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Civilization V Expansion "Gods & Kings" Announced (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=25879)

MagGnome 02-16-2012 05:05 PM

Civilization V Expansion "Gods & Kings" Announced

According to Rock, Paper, Shotgun, Civilization V's first full expansion is on the way. As the title implies, religion is a major feature of the expansion, and something that will likely be welcomed by fans of Civ IV who were disappointed that this feature was not in the sequel. In addition to various religions, expanded espionage, and more diplomacy options, the expansion promises improved AI and plenty of new content:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RPS
Nine new civilisations, including Carthage, the Netherlands, the Celts and the Mayans, fill the package out, along with mercantile and religious City States, which will form part of the expanded ‘quest system’. There shall also be new technologies, units, buildings and wonders. I wouldn’t normally be interested in new scenarios, since I never play them, but one of those being added is called Empires of the Smoky Skies and is “Victorian science fiction”. That does grab my attention quite aggressively.

The expansion should arrive in late Spring.

Source - Rock, Paper, Shotgun

Libuke 02-16-2012 05:56 PM

I liked the addition of religion in CIV 4. They manged to convey the importance that it has had in world while not specifically making one religion better then another. I think it was well done. So I am glad to hear that it will be back.

Vandabo 02-16-2012 06:04 PM

I just started playing Civ V again last week. I think overall I liked IV better, but these additions I think will really help.

Also very interested in what "Victorian Science Fiction" ends up meaning in this context.

SilentScreams 02-16-2012 06:20 PM

I've been saying for a while that Civ V really needs an expansion or two to bring it up to the level of Civ IV, which just got better and better with every expansion. Glad to hear one is in the works.

MagGnome 02-16-2012 06:36 PM

Civilization V is already a lot more fun than Civ IV, IMHO, and I think that these additions will make it even better, provided they implement them in a way that makes sense. I found the implementation of religion in IV to be rather obtuse.

Vandabo 02-16-2012 06:50 PM

I should load up Civ IV and try it now that I've played Civ V. It would be interesting to do a side by side comparison.

Plus, I kind of miss the stack-of-death attack. It would feel good to get one of those going again.

SilentScreams 02-16-2012 10:17 PM

I like Civ V, but I don't consider it to be in the same league as Civ IV. It's far too stripped down to be equal. It's the middle ground between Civ IV and Civ Revolution, but it lost a lot to compromise.
It's also a lot more predictable than Civ IV due to the simplified maths behind everything. I had games in Civ IV where I had no idea who was going to win right up until the last 30 turns or so. In Civ V I can usually tell who is going to win after an hour or two.

CES 02-17-2012 06:39 AM

In Civ V I've found it's a bit easier to predict how the AI will react at set points though it's a marked improvement on Civ IV's AI "war, peace, war, peace" tactics.

Case in point, In the last game of Civ V I played (England on Islands, yes it's cheap) I knew the moment I got close to unlocking the Utopia Project the shit would hit the fan so I was able to predict where the AI ships would try to break though and put battleships in the area to screw them over for just long enough that I could get the win.

jpublic 02-17-2012 08:17 AM

Y'know what Civ5 needs? A total conversion into Alpha Centauri.

I know EA owns the IP on that, but just saying.

MagGnome 02-17-2012 08:31 AM

EA will probably announce a new Alpha Centauri soon. My bet is that it will be a FPS or Chinese MMO.

Panthera 02-17-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilentScreams (Post 959919)
I like Civ V, but I don't consider it to be in the same league as Civ IV. It's far too stripped down to be equal. It's the middle ground between Civ IV and Civ Revolution, but it lost a lot to compromise.
It's also a lot more predictable than Civ IV due to the simplified maths behind everything. I had games in Civ IV where I had no idea who was going to win right up until the last 30 turns or so. In Civ V I can usually tell who is going to win after an hour or two.

It's a shame that it doesn't have more depth. I like a lot of it in theory, and I don't mind a civilization game being more accessible, but I think it can be done without hurting the gameplay so much.

Stoke 02-17-2012 01:37 PM

I'm a big fan of Civ V so this is a day one purchase. I do miss religion.

Doogie2K 02-17-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagGnome (Post 960085)
EA will probably announce a new Alpha Centauri soon. My bet is that it will be a FPS or Chinese MMO.

It'll be both.

Count me in as someone who's tenatively excited for this expansion. I'm another one who really only played a couple of games of V but could never get way invested in it like I did IV.