Colony of Gamers

Colony of Gamers (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/index.php)
-   Gaming News (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Future of Skyrim? (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=25833)

DoctorFinger 02-09-2012 07:59 AM

The Future of Skyrim?

The just released Creation Kit for Skyrim has begun to give people a sense of what sort of content the fans would make for their favorite game. But what about the developers? What would they add? Today we get that answer thanks to a video Bethesda design director Todd Howard showed off at the DICE conference in Las Vegas. The video is from the Bethesda game jam, where team members are given a week to make anything they want so long as it's for Skyrim. The results are pretty damn cool, ranging from new weapons to new skill trees to giant...monsters. All set to a very apropos song.

There's a complete list of the additions over at Game Informer, but here are a few of my favorites

Spears
New epic mounts
Lycanthropy skill tree
Dark dungeons
Additional stealth skills like Assassin Vision and water arrows
Spell combos (eg: fire + raise zombie = Summon Flame Atronach)
Build your own house, complete with skeletal butler

A lot of the items are graphical tweaks, but most of them look pretty sweet. As I said, all of these are just experiments. None of these are confirmed additions to the game, although Howard says they're considering some of these for future DLC or patches.

On a side note, is anyone else surprised that Bethesda has not revealed anything about Skyrim DLC yet? They've said all along that they were planning to do larger but less frequent DLC modules, but we're three months out from release and we haven't heard a peep on the subject. Most other major games would have released their 2nd pack with another pair already announced. I hope this means we're going to get some Shivering Isles-quality DLC packs.

Source - Game Informer

Wolvie 02-09-2012 08:17 AM

Spears and mounted combat please! Also, the changing seasons would be nice too.

Lithium Flower 02-09-2012 08:20 AM

Seasonal foliage please!! And vampire feeding! and snow prints! Mounted combat too. It's such a bear having to dismount to kill a mudcrub.

Stmfuller 02-09-2012 08:32 AM

I'll take one of everything please.

immersion 4tw

Suave Peanut 02-09-2012 08:40 AM

I'd pay for some of those! Or accept them for free!

CES 02-09-2012 08:54 AM

Give it a month and the mod community will probably put most of these into the game.

Goronmon 02-09-2012 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CES (Post 956078)
Give it a month and the mod community will probably put most of these into the game.

Not to knock modders, but in a month they'd probably put together a buggier version of these features that the developers were able to do in a week.

resikel 02-09-2012 09:43 AM

I like the music.

Entropy 02-09-2012 09:47 AM

I just finally got my life back from that game :(

Karak 02-09-2012 10:07 AM

Its amazing how easy the system is. I got a Dragon Mount and Mini Dragon follower that sounds like an angry gerble within just a couple minutes. If you like to create I really suggest checking out the creation kit guys.

DiBiddilyBop 02-09-2012 10:15 AM

And this is the exact reason I always buy Elder Scrolls games on the PC.

Dark Prince 02-09-2012 10:16 AM

Damn the music was catchy and fit the video. The seasonal foliage would be great to see and the new additions to your follower. Was cool watching it with the pop ups instead of just having images thrown across the screen.

Dragon mounts would just be badass.

National Kato 02-09-2012 10:24 AM

I wanted water arrows the moment I began playing a thief with my second character. A lot of those additions would be great, many would be worthless to me - but I love the TES modding community, because the cream always rises.

Karak 02-09-2012 10:29 AM

This doesn't fit with the world but...Red Dead Style Clothes!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...tails/?id=8711

jjohnson1 02-09-2012 10:48 AM

i just want a hardcore mode where i have to eat, sleep, and drink... was that so much to ask?

CES 02-09-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goronmon (Post 956092)
Not to knock modders, but in a month they'd probably put together a buggier version of these features that the developers were able to do in a week.

Perhaps but the fact that the modders don't have the huge advantages the developers have skews that a little. The modders do such a good job that Obsidian basically took the top 5 mods from FO3, bolted them onto New Vegas and said "right, that's the gameplay sorted"

DiBiddilyBop 02-09-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjohnson1 (Post 956138)
i just want a hardcore mode where i have to eat, sleep, and drink... was that so much to ask?

I'm sure that will be out before long. I'd actually be very surprised if it wasn't.

After watching the video, I'm the most excited for "epic" style mounts (I was a little disappointed Shadowmere wasn't a proper nightmare-style mount), the greater vampire looking dude and the lycanthropy skill tree. I was really disappointed by how weak being a werewolf was and would like to see a reason to actually use the ability.

biosc1 02-09-2012 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjohnson1 (Post 956138)

I think that is called Minecraft? :p

Also, that mud crab was awesome.

Narradisall 02-09-2012 11:51 AM

Everything in that video was awesome. I hope they add it all. The whole video was just full of win.

Khrymsyn 02-09-2012 12:23 PM

Lots in that video I liked. Damn, makes me want to actually play the Skyrim copy I've installed and not yet touched... =P

Can't they just add the SSAO NOW?! ;-)

carnage11 02-09-2012 12:31 PM

Man Bear Pig!

Also, dragon mounts? Umm....why is this not already in the game?!?!?!

Grifter 02-09-2012 12:37 PM

Most of that should have been in the game from the beginning, especially the smaller details like seasons, foot prints etc. I also think most of the mod community could do the same mods in a week but better. Look how much they improved Skyrim without the mod kit. Now that they have it I think there are quite a few modders out there that are much more talented and imaginative than Bethesda.

It's like Bethesda makes the highest quality canvas and paints possible but are extremely mediocre when it comes to putting them to good use but when they give them to the community things can be done with them that can't be done with any other game in terms of modding and some of these mods give quite a few other AAA titles a run for their money.

Antipode 02-09-2012 12:41 PM

I'm surprised how much better the water looks with that shader. I knew subconsciously something was off with the way it flows. Seriously, all of these mods need to be added to the game.
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorFinger (Post 956050)
On a side note, is anyone else surprised that Bethesda has not revealed anything about Skyrim DLC yet? They've said all along that they were planning to do larger but less frequent DLC modules, but we're three months out from release and we haven't heard a peep on the subject. Most other major games would have released their 2nd pack with another pair already announced. I hope this means we're going to get some Shivering Isles-quality DLC packs.

That struck me as the more professional (or at least polite) way to handle the situation. Skyrim obviously needed some major patching, so I'm glad they chose to focus on that first before announcing any DLC.

Grifter 02-09-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antipode (Post 956216)
I'm surprised how much better the water looks with that shader. I knew subconsciously something was off with the way it flows. Seriously, all of these mods need to be added to the game.

There were a few water mods that did the same thing within a couple weeks of Skyrim's launch. A lot of those mods in the video already existed before the creation kit came out and look just as good if not better.

Xerxes 02-09-2012 12:59 PM

Why does the Kinect shout guy talk with his eye brows?

Narradisall 02-09-2012 01:01 PM

It's the next Kinect update.

Antipode 02-09-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grifter (Post 956224)
There were a few water mods that did the same thing within a couple weeks of Skyrim's launch. A lot of those mods in the video already existed before the creation kit came out and look just as good if not better.

Can't believe I missed that. I try to keep up with the new mods. Thanks for the heads up.

Shieldmaiden 02-09-2012 01:28 PM

If I had to pick just one of those, it would be spears. One handed and two handed please. It bugs me how much they're ignored by game developers.

DoctorFinger 02-09-2012 02:53 PM

Remember also that some of these may/will be included in updates for the consoles, not just the PC. I'm sure that amateur modders can and have done some of this already, but that work isn't going to make it to the other platforms, and there likely won't be a lot of new content exploiting it.

Karak 02-09-2012 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khrymsyn (Post 956193)
Lots in that video I liked. Damn, makes me want to actually play the Skyrim copy I've installed and not yet touched... =P

Can't they just add the SSAO NOW?! ;-)

Yep if you have Nvidia you already have SSAO as an option to force.

MagGnome 02-09-2012 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goronmon (Post 956092)

Every Elder Scrolls game has had mods that improved upon the work of the developers. I fail to see how Skyrim would be any different.

menage 02-09-2012 05:44 PM

Shiiit. Now I can't go back playing it:D

JayK47 02-09-2012 05:58 PM

Sign me up for mounted combat which should have shipped retail. Hell, most of that content should have.

Wolvie 02-09-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayK47 (Post 956429)
Sign me up for mounted combat which should have shipped retail. Hell, most of that content should have.

Totally agree with you. At least they have those features in the works.

Hawkzombie 02-09-2012 06:51 PM

I want that mudcrab in my game. Epic monsters would be just...awesome.

tacitus 02-09-2012 07:04 PM

Todd Howard's full DICE keynote is on gamespot

roboninja 02-09-2012 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkzombie (Post 956461)
I want that mudcrab in my game. Epic monsters would be just...awesome.

You would need over 9000 hitpoints to fight that thing.

Vandabo 02-09-2012 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roboninja (Post 956525)
You would need over 9000 hitpoints to fight that thing.

Nah, you just have to attack its weak point for massive damage.

carnage11 02-09-2012 10:18 PM

They had a release date that they HAD to stick with. 11-11-11? They couldn't ship late, so I'm guessing most of this stuff was expected to be in the game, but they needed extra time to finish it. That's my best guess. I always wondered why mounted combat wasn't already in the game. Or why dragon mounts weren't. A friend and I were talking about that very subject shortly after the game was released. He thought for sure you'd get a dragon mount at some point.

I'm glad to see that some of this stuff might make it to the consoles.

Hawkzombie 02-09-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vandabo (Post 956544)
Nah, you just have to attack its weak point for massive damage.

I want to have your babies.

EDIT:

So, I forgot to mention. As I was watching this my son comes up and starts moving and groving to the music, which is cute (He loves Skyrim) "Skyrim! SKYRIM!" And it's all cool and happy. Then the crab at the end come up. SO COOL!

Then it says FUCK on screen. What does Isaac do? He's learning to read. By sounding out letters. He then proceeds to tell me something. "Foogk. Fogk. Fog." *Bead of sweat*...What did you just say?! "His name is Fog, dad"

Yeah. My son can read Fuck. Almost.

Wasson_ 02-10-2012 08:02 AM

Not only spears, which would be very awesome, but hinged weapons as well? Did I see a flail in that video?

There is a myriad of things that could be improved crafting wise as well...but obviously they don't make for a very stirring video...I wonder what they came up with.

Wolvie 02-10-2012 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wasson_ (Post 956699)
Not only spears, which would be very awesome, but hinged weapons as well? Did I see a flail in that video?

There is a myriad of things that could be improved crafting wise as well...but obviously they don't make for a very stirring video...I wonder what they came up with.

Here's what needs to be done with hinged weapons:

Step 1) Make Nunchucks

Step 2) create a character and name him Napoleon Dynamite

Step 3) Happiness

PathMaster 02-10-2012 11:07 AM

That mud crab was HUUUGE!

Vandabo 02-10-2012 12:04 PM

I love the idea of running towards a gigantic mudcrab, dodging claw strikes to get underneath/up close so you can attack the aforementioned weak point. I wish the dragon fights had been more like that, instead of just batting at them with whatever weapon you had handy until they died.

Also, spear weapons would be a great addition. I agree with BigJonno that they are very underused in games, considering they have been just about the most widely used weapons throughout history.

CES 02-10-2012 12:22 PM

If spears are underutilised in gaming, Dynasty Warriors is the game trying to rebalance the equation. Seems like every third playable character and the majority of the mooks you carve through have spears though in that context it makes perfect sense since spears were the major weapon at the time.

DoctorFinger 02-10-2012 01:09 PM

The mechanics of using a spear are so different than a sword or axe or hammer that it would require a whole different set of animations, which is I think why they were omitted in the first place.

Xerxes 02-10-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorFinger (Post 956858)
The mechanics of using a spear are so different than a sword or axe or hammer that it would require a whole different set of animations, which is I think why they were omitted in the first place.

The game doesn't use staves?

Also, Two World 2 had em. :D

Zecon 02-10-2012 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xerxes (Post 956998)
The game doesn't use staves?

Also, Two World 2 had em. :D

Tw2 also had really necromancy.
Being able to summon a horde of skellys was awesome

J Arcane 02-10-2012 08:28 PM

Hmm. I love a good Necromancer class.

menage 02-11-2012 04:54 AM

I'm not so sure I would actually like dragonriding in the game. I mean I met one good dragon but it would seriously mess up the storyline and general premise imo. And the fact that controlling it would just probably be a deus ex machina shout all of a sudden.

The rest of it, all of it I guess.