Colony of Gamers

Colony of Gamers (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/index.php)
-   Gaming News (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Target Leak (Possibly) Reveals Shadow of Mordor Sequel (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=33296)

DoctorFinger 02-27-2017 06:50 AM

Target Leak (Possibly) Reveals Shadow of Mordor Sequel

What would gaming news be without retailers bumbling about like Looney Tunes characters?

[Update] Here's the cinematic trailer. A gameplay trailer is slated for next week.

Today's tidbit comes from a now-deleted Target listing (preserved here)for Middle-earth: Shadow of War, the sequel to 2014's superb Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor. The listing pegs it for an August release on current gen consoles, and the description says it will likely stay close to it's roots:
A developer is not mentioned, but presumably Monolith is back for the sequel. A Gold Edition that seems to include a DLC season pass was also part of the listing for $100.

I loved Shadow of Mordor, but I dearly hope the sequel evolves a bit. At this point I think we can clearly state that this is a genre in and of itself. Assassins-esque? Creed-like? OWMMG (Open World Melee Murder Game)?

Source - RPS

TheKeck 02-27-2017 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoctorFinger (Post 1360494)
Assassins-esque? Creed-like? OWMMG (Open World Melee Murder Game)?

Don't forget the combat lifted straight from Batman, better than anything AC ever had.

Arkham Creed?

pomeroy 02-27-2017 07:14 AM

That's funny that Target had the boxart and everything. Man.

Lance Uppercut 02-27-2017 07:34 AM

Arkham-mania is runnin' wild, brother! It's a good sub-genre, but it dearly needs some freshening up. Hopefully these devs have some neat new ideas in the sequel, because the first game was good but shallow.

biosc1 02-27-2017 09:40 AM

I really enjoyed the first game (as a major LOTR fan). By the end of the last DLC it started to wear out its welcome, but it's been long enough now that I actually was thinking of playing it again. Now I'll just wait on the sequel.

Trailer just being a trailer, but it looked great. I'm hoping we got hints of more civilized locations so we get some big castle fights (Minas Morgul for sure). I'm also going to go out on a limb and suggest we're going to get some other characters to play (such as the guy and girl from Minas Tirith / Osgiliath (?))

Narradisall 02-27-2017 11:42 AM

I'm hoping this is the AC2 to the first games AC1 where they take he base gameplay and expand on the characters and story.

Loved the mechanics but the story and characters needed work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pale Ale 02-27-2017 01:53 PM

I like how WB just shrugged and put the pre-order on steam.

biosc1 02-27-2017 03:11 PM

This game is also Windows Play Anywhere, for those who like that feature (ie. me)

muddi900 02-27-2017 03:35 PM

Has the windows store performance problems been solved?

MagGnome 02-27-2017 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pale Ale (Post 1360535)
I like how WB just shrugged and put the pre-order on steam.

I thought they were done supporting the PC after the mess they made of Arkham Knight?

biosc1 02-27-2017 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muddi900 (Post 1360544)
Has the windows store performance problems been solved?

I think Gears had some off the bat, but I've not had a problem at all with Forza Horizon 3. It's actually pretty neat to be able to fire it up on my tv or my computer and just have it synced and working.

Pale Ale 02-27-2017 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagGnome (Post 1360546)
I thought they were done supporting the PC after the mess they made of Arkham Knight?

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media...04ql0wbjpg.jpg

MagGnome 02-27-2017 10:39 PM

I knew they wouldn't stay away for long, but it's very amusing that they came back so quickly.

Hopefully from now on they will just get it right instead of treating the PC like the red-headed stepchild. What is this, 2005?

evilgoodwin 02-28-2017 03:55 AM

As a fan of all the games it emulated, I actually didn't like the first game. It just never clicked with me.

biosc1 02-28-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagGnome (Post 1360576)
I knew they wouldn't stay away for long, but it's very amusing that they came back so quickly.

Hopefully from now on they will just get it right instead of treating the PC like the red-headed stepchild. What is this, 2005?

Well, good news is they got Mordor extremely 'right' right out of the gates. That game just worked like it should of.

Lance Uppercut 02-28-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Narradisall (Post 1360516)
I'm hoping this is the AC2 to the first games AC1 where they take he base gameplay and expand on the characters and story.

Loved the mechanics but the story and characters needed work.

That's a perfect comparison. SoM reminds me of AssCreed 1, now that you brought it up. A good game dressed up in superfluous trappings.

Narradisall 03-02-2017 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lance Uppercut (Post 1360651)
That's a perfect comparison. SoM reminds me of AssCreed 1, now that you brought it up. A good game dressed up in superfluous trappings.

Pretty much. I enjoyed AC 1 at the time but people basically mocked it for being a tech demo wrapped in a weak story. It wasn't great, but the game mechanics really wowed me.

Then AC2 came along with those mechanics and a stellar story and character and it all clicked.

Playing through SoM I got the exact same feel.