Colony of Gamers

Colony of Gamers (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/index.php)
-   Gaming News (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Zelda Breath of the Wild Will Have Paid DLC (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=33278)

DoctorFinger 02-14-2017 07:36 AM

Zelda Breath of the Wild Will Have Paid DLC

Legend of Zelda: Breath of Wild will have paid DLC when it launches in 2 weeks. The $20 season pass will include three bundles of content, bundles which cannot be purchased separately.
  • Launch - 3 new chests in the Great Plateau region. One chest will contain a Nintendo Switch shirt which Link can wear in-game. The other two will contain unspecified "useful items."
  • Summer - A Cave of Trials challenge area, a Hard Mode, and a "new feature for the in-game map."
  • Winter - More challenges, a new dungeon and new story elements.
Spelled out like this, that doesn't seem like a whole lot of content for $20. The devil is in the details, and we won't know how involved the latter two packs are until closer to release.

This is not the first time Nintendo has gone down the premium DLC road for their games, although it is much less common on their platforms than it is on others.

Source - Polygon

pomeroy 02-14-2017 07:38 AM

The new dungeon and story elements are the only thing that sounds interesting here, but I doubt they're worth $20

muddi900 02-14-2017 08:06 AM

Hard mode behind paywall?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Philonious 02-14-2017 08:15 AM

There is a typo in the title.

Any chance that Nintendo will make this cross-buy on the WiiU and Switch? (Not trying to be funny here.)

rein 02-14-2017 08:50 AM

So, Nintendo is going all in with the cash grab this gen?

(I'm still getting two :()

Stoke 02-14-2017 08:55 AM

I don't think we have enough information to say whether this is a good price for what's offered yet but I'd certainly hold off on purchasing it until we know more. At this point it's still up in the air on whether the game is good, much less if the future DLC is worth it.

Also, it's Breath of the Wild, not Wind, though I believe Wind would be a better title.

Evil Avnovice 02-14-2017 09:15 AM

That's a surprise.

It's looks to be a good price for what you're getting, and I'm especially looking forward to the bonus dungeons and storylines.

MagGnome 02-14-2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muddi900 (Post 1359460)
Hard mode behind paywall?

Yeah that's a little shady. Unfortunately they did the same with Twilight Princess HD via the Gannon amiibo.

I'll likely wait until the holiday content is out to see if this is worth picking up. Most expansion passes are a terrible value IMHO. Mario Kart 8 and The Witcher 3 are two exceptions that come to mind.

At least this isn't $40-60 like many publishers are charging.

pomeroy 02-14-2017 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagGnome (Post 1359467)
I'll likely wait until the holiday content is out to see if this is worth picking up. Most expansion passes are a terrible value IMHO. Mario Kart 8 and The Witcher 3 are two exceptions that come to mind.

The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite's were really good, too.

Philonious 02-14-2017 09:34 AM

I find that often the DLC (good or not) arrives so late that I've shelved the game by the time its released. Still buy season passes though... Because I'm an idiot.

MagGnome 02-14-2017 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomeroy (Post 1359469)
The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite's were really good, too.

Ah, cool. I didn't play those.

LarsenNET 02-14-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Philonious (Post 1359470)
I find that often the DLC (good or not) arrives so late that I've shelved the game by the time its released. Still buy season passes though... Because I'm an idiot.

That pretty much describes me except I try to not even start a game until the DLC is all out. Doesn't always work out.

TheKeck 02-14-2017 10:38 AM

It is a very rare exception if I ever play any DLC. I paid 50 cents extra to get the Shadow of Mordor Season Pass, and it was probably wasted money.

digitalErich 02-14-2017 12:12 PM

without knowing what's in those chests (likely won't sway me) the only thing that really interests me is the Winter pack, and by that time we'll have a better picture of the contents of this or more importantly I'll know whether I really need to dive back into this game.

DoctorFinger 02-14-2017 12:46 PM

In other words: it may end up being worth it, but you definitely shouldn't pre-order the DLC.

Young Al Capone 02-14-2017 01:07 PM

So now I play the wait game for Game of The Year Editions on Nintendo games too, eh? Oh well, that will help with the backlog...

pomeroy 02-14-2017 01:13 PM

Knowing Nintendo and pricing, you'll be waiting a long time if you're expecting any sort of deal.

Young Al Capone 02-14-2017 01:34 PM

Yeah, you are definitely right about that, but I am not waiting for deals so much as all of the content. I am more worried about availability...

MagGnome 02-14-2017 01:48 PM

Nintendo rarely does GOTY editions. Animal Crossing New Leaf: Welcome Amiibo and Mario Kart DX being two of the only recent exceptions. I'm really hoping they'll do one for Smash Bros on Switch.

A lot of Nintendo "fans" are having a meltdown over this. Then again many of them are in a near-constant state of meltdown. I don't read Xbox or PlayStation fansites, are they that bad?

Young Al Capone 02-14-2017 01:56 PM

Just about, rabid fanboys are the worst regardless of who they are rooting for.

I am hoping that now that they are making DLC a more common thing that they will do GOTY editions. Truth is though that I rarely play DLC, even after buying GOTY editions.