Colony of Gamers

Colony of Gamers (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/index.php)
-   Gaming News (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Microsoft Announces Monthly "Game Pass" (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=33299)

DoctorFinger 02-28-2017 07:38 AM

Microsoft Announces Monthly "Game Pass"

Microsoft today announced "Game Pass", their monthly all-you-can-eat game download program for Xbox. The $9.99 monthly fee lets you download "over 100" games from the Xbox One and Xbox 360 BC catalog. You can play the games as long as you subscribe, or purchase them at a discount to play even after your sub ends.

Titles will be added over time, but the initial list includes Halo 5, NBA 2K16, Saint's Row 4, Mad Max, Soul Calibur 2, Gears Ultimate Edition and LEGO Batman.

Game Pass will kick off later in the spring, but preview builds are being offered to Xbox Ambassadors starting today.

Source - Xbox

[Update] - Just to clarify, these are game downloads, not game streaming. So if you plan on joining you may want to invest in an external HDD.

Gorvi 02-28-2017 07:58 AM

That sounds awesome.

pomeroy 02-28-2017 08:05 AM

Yeah. A Netflix-like service for games sounds incredible.

civil_dead 02-28-2017 08:26 AM

I recently re-signed onto the EA version because I wanted to play Mass Effect 3 before Andromeda came out. It's a pitiful wasteland, and they don't really seem to update their games much (very little new things since I was last there). Granted, it's only $5 a month, so I can't complain.

For twice the amount, Microsoft better have a good, evolving selection of games. Already the list you included sounds better than most of what is at EA, but I'd be curious as to what makes it on there six, seven months from now when people have played those games out.

fitbabits 02-28-2017 09:03 AM

Now, this is something I can fully support and get behind! Nice move, Microsoft.

I wonder if they'll offer discounts for yearly subscriptions...

fitbabits 02-28-2017 09:06 AM

Interesting:

Quote:

Based on fan feedback, streaming/connectivity issues were identified as a major pain point for competing game subscription services. That’s why games on Xbox Game Pass will be downloaded to your Xbox One, providing fans with a native, full-fidelity gaming experience and the ability to play downloaded games offline for up to 30 days.
So you're essentially renting the games for 30 days.

muddi900 02-28-2017 09:06 AM

So is it different from Games with Gold? Would I still need Gold to play these games MP?

Because then the service costs twice as much as advertised.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Gorvi 02-28-2017 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fitbabits (Post 1360608)
Interesting:

So you're essentially renting the games for 30 days.

Sorta. I think that's just saying that you don't need a connection for up to 30 days to play the games you've downloaded from the service. They'll likely still be tied to an expiration date at an application level so people can't use that to play games after their subs run out.

fitbabits 02-28-2017 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gorvi (Post 1360610)
Sorta. I think that's just saying that you don't need a connection for up to 30 days to play the games you've downloaded from the service. They'll likely still be tied to an expiration date at an application level so people can't use that to play games after their subs run out.

Ah, that makes more sense...

fitbabits 02-28-2017 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muddi900 (Post 1360609)
So is it different from Games with Gold? Would I still need Gold to play these games MP?

Because then the service costs twice as much as advertised.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

No, you do not need to have an Xbox Live Gold membership to access Xbox Game Pass. As with all Xbox Live titles, you will need an Xbox Live Gold membership to play multiplayer in Xbox Game Pass titles.

muddi900 02-28-2017 10:19 AM

So it's really $20 per month

Gorvi 02-28-2017 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muddi900 (Post 1360619)
So it's really $20 per month

Only if you care about playing the games online, and even then, I'd bet most XB1 owners are already paying for Gold.

The only thing that could sour someone on having both is if the games included in the game pass also start showing up as (or have been a part of) the Games With Gold games.

biosc1 02-28-2017 11:10 AM

Also, you shouldn't be paying $10/month for Gold. You can commonly get it for $40-50 / yr.

List of games don't look super great as a list of games that most XBox people have / have played. It's a great service for folks just getting an XBox though.

Current list of games in preview:

A Kingdom for Keflings
Banjo-Kazooie
Comic Jumper
Dark Void
Defense Grid 2
Gears of War Judgement
Gears of War Ultimate Edition
Halo: Spartan Assault
Hexic 2
Jetpac Refuelled
Kameo
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
Monday Night Combat
Ms. Splosion Man
OF: Dragon Rising
Perfect Dark Zero
Sacred 3
Sam&Max Beyond Time
Sunset Overdrive
The Maw
Viva Pinata

Farsight 02-28-2017 04:30 PM

Yeah, if I knew someone who was just buying an Xbox, I'd definitely recommend it. It's the cheapest rental service around.

If little-kid-me had had a service like that, I might have turned into a mole-man.

Well, more of one.

muddi900 02-28-2017 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biosc1 (Post 1360623)
Also, you shouldn't be paying $10/month for Gold. You can commonly get it for $40-50 / yr.

List of games don't look super great as a list of games that most XBox people have / have played. It's a great service for folks just getting an XBox though.

Current list of games in preview:

A Kingdom for Keflings
Banjo-Kazooie
Comic Jumper
Dark Void
Defense Grid 2
Gears of War Judgement
Gears of War Ultimate Edition
Halo: Spartan Assault
Hexic 2
Jetpac Refuelled
Kameo
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
Monday Night Combat
Ms. Splosion Man
OF: Dragon Rising
Perfect Dark Zero
Sacred 3
Sam&Max Beyond Time
Sunset Overdrive
The Maw
Viva Pinata

You can get 2 years for less than 100 at costco.

But I doubt someone who just wants to play Halo 5 coop is going shell out a 100 bucks.

MagGnome 02-28-2017 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomeroy (Post 1360600)
Yeah. A Netflix-like service for games sounds incredible.

I really wish Nintendo would do this for the Virtual Console. That would be great.

I always thought Gametap was a neat idea. It's a shame it went under. Kudos to MS for doing this.

jeffbax 02-28-2017 08:02 PM

Subscription games sounds like an alright idea… but my gut tells me they are going to restrict it to older titles… which are generally on sale anyway so I'm not entirely sure it'd be worth it compared to just buying the few you're interested in keeping

Widgetcraft 02-28-2017 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagGnome (Post 1360681)
I really wish Nintendo would do this for the Virtual Console. That would be great.

I think everyone is on the same page on that point.

pomeroy 02-28-2017 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffbax (Post 1360683)
Subscription games sounds like an alright idea… but my gut tells me they are going to restrict it to older titles… which are generally on sale anyway so I'm not entirely sure it'd be worth it compared to just buying the few you're interested in keeping

Pretty rare for even older games to dip below 10. Still seems like it would be useful.

MagGnome 02-28-2017 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Widgetcraft (Post 1360688)
I think everyone is on the same page on that point.

Holy cow, it's good to see you around.