PDA

View Full Version : GameCube Nostalgia

diablopath
06-28-2009, 03:30 PM
So, in preparation for moving into the dorms, my room mate and I decided to fund a GameCube collection.

It's all pretty cheap on ebay and whatnot, so I think we're going to go through with it.

What are some of the best games?
I've already got Billy Hatcher and RE4 down (two of my favorites), and I might try to find Sonic Adventure DX, which I also really enjoyed.

What else should I get?

Aggort
06-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Smash Bros. Melee.

Now that I got the most obvious out of the way.
Mario Kart
Twilight Princess or Wind Waker, or heck, both!
Eternal Darkness
Tales of Symphonia
Metroid Prime
Beyond Good & Evil if you can find it

TheEpicOfTyler
06-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Metroid Prime (not too keen on the second)
Wind Waker
Twilight Princess (even though it's probably one of the worse Zelda games)
Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes

My GameCube collection never got too big.

frederec
06-28-2009, 03:39 PM
Grabs collection...
Eternal Darkness is a must-have, in my opinion.
Ikaruga is a pretty good shooter, and is fun in multiplayer.
If you're into Harvest Moon at all, Magical Melody is one of the better entries of the series.

If you're into RPG's, Paper Mario is great, Tales of Symphonia is good, the Baiten Kaitos games are decent, and the Lost Kingdoms games have their merits. The Pikmin games are fun little RTS games.
Animal Crossing and Alien Homid are fun, but you can also get these elsewhere. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is a good multiplayer game if you've still got some GBA's or SP's lying around.

mightbe
06-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Grabs collection...
Eternal Darkness is a must-have, in my opinion.
Ikaruga is a pretty good shooter, and is fun in multiplayer.
If you're into Harvest Moon at all, Magical Melody is one of the better entries of the series.

If you're into RPG's, Paper Mario is great, Tales of Symphonia is good, the Baiten Kaitos games are decent, and the Lost Kingdoms games have their merits. The Pikmin games are fun little RTS games.
Animal Crossing and Alien Homid are fun, but you can also get these elsewhere. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles is a good multiplayer game if you've still got some GBA's or SP's lying around.

THIS THIS THIS

Don't forget Zelda: Four Swords if you have the GBAs and cables to hook em up. It's devilish fun.

If you like quirky card games, I had a blast playing Lost Kingdoms I & II with a buddy of mine. I think it's a terribly underrated game series.

Mike Kelehan
06-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Don't forget Zelda: Four Swords if you have the GBAs and cables to hook em up. It's devilish fun.Because I got a DSi, I went on Ebay to get one of the new backlit GBA SPs, and the one I got was in a bundle with another SP, so now I've got three. One of my roommates has a GBA, so that's four, and Gamestop sells GC/GBA link cables for $0.99. So now I'm finally going to get to play four player Four Swords and Crystal Chronicles.

Widgetcraft
06-28-2009, 05:08 PM
Wind Waker is one of the coolest games ever made, IMO. Everyone should check it out. The REmake and RE4 are really great, probably the two best entries into the RE franchise (I suppose RE2 would come close to tieing with them). You'll probably never find a horror game better than Eternal Darkness made in the west. The first Viewtiful Joe was an excellent side-scrolling beat'um up, with style to spare.

KamaItachi
06-28-2009, 05:22 PM
Splitscreen Multiplayer PSO is always a blast.

Abyssion
06-28-2009, 05:28 PM
Well a lot of good stuff has already been listed, but no one else thought of Skies of Arcadia: Legends? I'll put it down then...

J Arcane
06-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Pacman VS. is the best game on the Gamecube.

You'll need a GBA and a cable as well though.

Camel
06-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Chibi Robo!

Fenced
06-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Eternal Darkness. I didn't love it, but as far as gamecube games go, it is one of the best.

Metroid Prime. Just re-released with wii controls I believe, along with the sequel. Overrated, but enjoyable enough to finish (with gamefaqs of course).

Pikmin. Good fun, I plan on going back to finish this someday.

Resident Evil. I never played the original, but the remake was great. Scarier than RE4.

Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader Simply awesome. I believe the third one has the entire campaign from Rogue Leader, but can only be played in co-op. Otherwise, ignore it.

carnage11
06-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Eternal Darkness
Resident Evil
Resident Evil Zero
Metroid Prime
Dead to Rights
Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
Battalion Wars
Killer Seven
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
Viewtiful Joe

All were great memories on the GC. I had other games, but most can be found on other consoles I guess.

Troggles
06-28-2009, 05:51 PM
Both Pikmin games are worth owning. The second more so for multiplayer. F-Zero GX is always a good time, as well.

jpublic
06-28-2009, 05:59 PM
I'm probably the only person on Earth who didn't like Wind Waker. Found it to be far too much Fedexing for my preference.

I can't recommend Eternal Darkness enough. I also liked Mario Kart Double Dash.

Hmm. *Goes to look at GC collection.*

Tales of Symphonia - decent jRPG.
PSOnline 1/2 and 3 - The first one is a classic and damn fun, even if you can't go online anymore, and the third is an entertaining strategic card game.
Resident Evil 0-4 - Not my fave games, but my wife loves them.

frederec
06-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Chibi Robo!

I forgot this one only because I'm currently lending it to someone, but this is another excellent game.

I would also say if you can swing it, Wind Waker is surprisingly cool if you've got a second player acting as your navigator. The second player's not incredibly active (they can toss bombs), but it's cool having someone with a GBA pointing out things that are coming up in the water, or helping you find stuff. My wife and I played pretty much the whole game together this way.

Troggles
06-28-2009, 06:33 PM
If you can find Super Mario Sunshine for cheap that might be worth it as well. Not the best of the series, but in no way is it terrible.

Zagrash
06-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Well a lot of good stuff has already been listed, but no one else thought of Skies of Arcadia: Legends? I'll put it down then...

This is one of the few games that as soon as I completed the game, I immediately started over and played through again. Definitely a solid title.

Virtual Pariah
06-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Skies
Eternal Darkness
Fire Emblem
Baldur's Gate: DA

Other than that, I'd say get a Wii as you will have BC and a newer optical drive.

It's not for speed or anything, just it'll have less miles on it.

Ultima Thulian
06-28-2009, 09:33 PM
I'm assuming you don't have a Wii, so with that in mind. Here are my top ten favorite Cube games, in no particular order.

F-Zero GX: One of the best, if not the best, racers in the franchise. Some of the most enjoyable track design and sense of speed I've ever seen in a racer. Excellent and challenging.

MarioKart DoubleDash!: The best mariokart game, IMO. Features wicked sweet co-op play and a very excellent choice of tracks.

Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker: This game has such a great sense of exploration and childlike awe about it, it's hard not to love it. The game is just great laidback fun.

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: My favorite Zelda game. Full of mystery and some of the best level design around. Excellent and likeable characters and a very long quest (40 hours minimum) make this game an absolute must-have.

Resident Evil: The remake of the original PSone classic is easily the definitive version and features some truly standout improvements and additions. For an "old fashioned" RE experience, it's tough to be this one. Of course, you already got RE4, so good job on that.

Eternal Darkness: It starts off slow, but once it picks up, it's amazing. Brilliant mix of action and adventure gameplay, and a very unique story filled with murder and mystery.

Viewtiful Joe: One of the best side-scrolling action beat-em-ups...ever. Brilliant and challenging gameplay and an excellent sense of style. Hard to go wrong with this overlooked gem.

Skies of Arcadia Legends: A spruced of version of the DC classic, this is easily the best RPG on the system, hands down. The game manages to capture the fun of old-school RPGs without falling into the old-school trappings (with a few exceptions of course). The game came out when the RPG market was glutted with dystopian Final Fantasy VII-esque JRPGs, so this game was, and still is, a breath of fresh air.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes: A complete remake of the PSone classic, the game keeps the story line but gets MGS2's graphics, sound, and gameplay enhancements, with a few other surprises and bells and whistles here and there. Great game, and plays surprisingly well with a GCN controller.

Luigi's Mansion: Some would say this game is a bit overrated and too short, and they may be right, but no game plays quite like this one, and the game is literally loaded with charm. Lots of fun.

Honorable mentions: Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door, Ikaruga, Super Mario Sunshine, and Soul Calibur II, and Rouge Squadron II.

I'd also reccomend both Metroid Prime titles, but if you ever plan on getting a Wii, just hold out for the Prime Anthology. You'll get all three Prime titles in one, with much better controls.

axion
06-28-2009, 10:07 PM
Great thread as I have a Wii and no GC games, thanks.

RandoM51
06-28-2009, 11:08 PM
Eternal Darkness and Metroids Prime 1&2.