PDA

View Full Version : Gamestop Overcharging For Wii Motion Plus?

DoctorFinger
06-15-2009, 09:27 AM
Gamers look to have a new reason to hate on industry powerhouse Gamestop: price inflation.

Nintendo released the Wii Motion Plus yesterday. The MSRP for the WMP is $19.99, which is what every major retailer I can check sell it for. But Gamestop sells it for $24.99, a 25% markup. All three of my local Gamestop stores sell it for that price. All of the other retailers around me who carry the item - including Best Buy, Toys R Us, Target, Wal-Mart and K-Mart - sell it for the MSRP, as does every major online outlet I can find. Only Gamestop seems to be raising the price.

Why they're doing this, I don't know. But I somehow think this won't enhance Gamestop's reputation with gamers.

Source - Consumerist (http://consumerist.com/5290613/gamestop-jacks-up-wii-accessory-price-by-25-percent).

Mike Kelehan
06-15-2009, 09:29 AM
They also raise the prices of many DS games from $30 to $35, and have sold other accessories for $5 over in the past, including Wii Points, MS Points, and Nunchuks.

Wilkz07
06-15-2009, 09:47 AM
motion plus in canada is $24.99 at all the stores I saw flyers for... but thats based on exchange rate.

Commissar Rob
06-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Oi. This'll go over well. I wonder what the official script is for the employees...

"Why are you charging more for this?"

"Because of the value-add of the expert advice you can't get at..."

Ugh.

DoctorFinger
06-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Don't blame the employees. They're not the problem here.

Telefrog
06-15-2009, 10:00 AM
I know this is crazy talk, but the MSRP of any item is exactly that. The suggested retail price. A store can add as much margin as it wants to a product, barring some contractual obligation.

The solution is simple. Buy it from someplace else.

Commissar Rob
06-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Don't blame the employees. They're not the problem here.

Hardly. I feel sorry for the poor sods trying to explain the price difference to Joe Consumer. Who, as Mr. Frog notes, could simply go elsewhere...

total
06-15-2009, 10:06 AM
I know this is crazy talk, but the MSRP of any item is exactly that. The suggested retail price. A store can add as much margin as it wants to a product, barring some contractual obligation.

The solution is simple. Buy it from someplace else.

My thoughts exactly. Buy it from someone else or pay the extra $5 that Gamestop is asking. They are welcome to charge $200 per unit if they think the market will bear it.

BLeeP
06-15-2009, 10:21 AM
I didn't notice the Wii Motion Plus price jacking, but I did notice that they have tons of copies of The Legendary Starfy, and they are all overpriced at 35 cash monies. I found it really odd that they were overcharging for a first party title.

Mike Kelehan
06-15-2009, 10:23 AM
I didn't notice the Wii Motion Plus price jacking, but I did notice that they have tons of copies of The Legendary Starfy, and they are all overpriced at 35 cash monies. I found it really odd that they were overcharging for a first party title.

They do it with every first party DS game.

Wraith
06-15-2009, 10:26 AM
True or false:
The average purchaser of Wii accessories doesn't know that the MSRP is $19.99, and is less likely to comparison shop.

Most will simply buy it at $24.99, if that's the price being charged when they want to buy.

BLeeP
06-15-2009, 10:26 AM
They do it with every first party DS game.

I find that to be extremely odd, as the first party titles are going to be raining from retail outlets, so it's not as if Gamestop has some sort edge on anyone by doing this.

cp#
06-15-2009, 10:53 AM
Find your cheapest deal in your local Sunday ads (granted you have a Sunday paper). Then price match it at Best Buy (or whatever store price matches in your area).

Or shop online.

Fuck Gamestop.

TheFlyingOrc
06-15-2009, 11:11 AM

Which would be great if we were arguing that they should be arrested. This is an excellent argument against that. However, the argument being presented is that they are DOUCHEBAGS, which does not care very much about legality. They are being douchebags, this is easy to understand.

Wilkz07
06-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Does the motion plus help improve all games or just the ones that support it?

DoctorFinger
06-15-2009, 11:15 AM
Does the motion plus help improve all games or just the ones that support it?
It only affects games which support it.

BabyJesus
06-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Another classy move by Gamestop. What surprises me is that its only a $5 premium.

Bravo!

total
06-15-2009, 11:39 AM
They are being douchebags, this is easy to understand.

I think you misspelled corporation. Say it with me now. Corporations have no moral compass nor do they give two shits about what you and I think. They will charge what they believe the market will bear.

J Arcane
06-15-2009, 11:44 AM
To be honest, I never knew Gamestop marked up DS games, because the prices are all the same at Fred Meyer too. I think perhaps they aren't the only one involved in such activities. I remember the DS headset was actually like $5 more at Wal-Mart when I got it, than it was at Freddie's the next day when I was there.

J Arcane
06-15-2009, 11:45 AM
I think you misspelled corporation. Say it with me now. Corporations have no moral compass nor do they give two shits about what you and I think. They will charge what they believe the market will bear.
That's hardly a good excuse, though it's sadly one at the root of much of the problems in the Western world at the moment.

TheFlyingOrc
06-15-2009, 11:50 AM

That's fine. I still don't see anywhere that my calling them douchebags is incorrect.

total
06-15-2009, 11:51 AM
That's hardly a good excuse, though it's sadly one at the root of much of the problems in the Western world at the moment.

It's not an excuse, it's a fact. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that it is.

crazyD
06-15-2009, 11:54 AM

Yeah, but if people realize they are being douchebags, it can cause a backlash that can hurt sales. Preventing them from continuing to do things like this.

J Arcane
06-15-2009, 11:54 AM
It's not an excuse, it's a fact. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that it is.
No worries, I wasn't sure what your angle was on it, but my point stands well enough.

EDIT: Still, it's still PEOPLE making those decisions, not some great faceless AI or something. And those people, happen to be douchebags.

TheFlyingOrc
06-15-2009, 11:58 AM
No worries, I wasn't sure what your angle was on it, but my point stands well enough.

EDIT: Still, it's still PEOPLE making those decisions, not some great faceless AI or something. And those people, happen to be douchebags.

This is true. A corporation is just a large number of people who aren't all bankrupt if their business fails.

Ink Asylum
06-15-2009, 12:05 PM
I never noticed the DS game price jacking. Guess I'll be going to Best Buy instead from now on.

TheFlyingOrc
06-15-2009, 12:06 PM
I never noticed the DS game price jacking. Guess I'll be going to Best Buy instead from now on.

I noticed they had tons of stuff at 35, but didn't realize it was they themselves who were changing the price. Jerks.

digitalErich
06-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Gamestop is for browsing and day-one releases, everything else I can get from the internet.

total
06-15-2009, 12:17 PM

This is true. A corporation is just a large number of people who aren't all bankrupt if their business fails.

Granted, but look at corporations in America. The consumer is no longer the customer. If it is a publicly traded company (NYSE:GME) then their obligation is to the shareholders. If they believe they can maximize profit by charging $5 more for a product then that is exactly what they are going to do. While they might be people, they aren't necessarily looking out for anything other than the biggest dollar.

J Arcane
06-15-2009, 12:20 PM
Granted, but look at corporations in America. The consumer is no longer the customer. If it is a publicly traded company (NYSE:GME) then their obligation is to the shareholders. If they believe they can maximize profit by charging $5 more for a product then that is exactly what they are going to do. While they might be people, they aren't necessarily looking out for anything other than the biggest dollar.
I believe I and others point is that such behavior is exactly what makes them douchebags.

Mind you, this is hardly high on the list of douchebag or downright evil shit corporations do every day simply because "it'll make them more profit", but the attitude itself is, to some moralities, among them my own, the epitome of douchebaggery.

Wilkz07
06-15-2009, 12:24 PM
Found it cheap at Dell. Link Here (http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/Games/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&cs=cadhs1&sku=A2868593&dgc=AF&cid=3881&lid=77903&acd=CAqD7bLWUPI-HhjBJr9SSC5wWnDPl.2_3w)

total
06-15-2009, 12:25 PM
I believe I and others point is that such behavior is exactly what makes them douchebags.

Mind you, this is hardly high on the list of douchebag or downright evil shit corporations do every day simply because "it'll make them more profit", but the attitude itself is, to some moralities, among them my own, the epitome of douchebaggery.

Oh I agree with what you're saying here except I'd use asshattery myself. I'm just not surprised in the least. I also doubt you will see them drop the price until you can find these things absolutely everywhere.

TheFlyingOrc
06-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Gamestop is for browsing and day-one releases, everything else I can get from the internet.

Go to Target or something for day-one releases, go to Gamestop for old and obscure games.

Urizen
06-15-2009, 02:50 PM
I actually bought my two WMPs at GameStop, realized the folly of my ways and returned them the next day. Got them from Best Buy instead.

GunnyMo
06-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Since when has GameStop cared one whit about their reputation with gamers? Their target audience are the clueless family shoppers.

Gamers can whine and moan all they want but GS will never, ever listen. :)

Deimos
06-15-2009, 06:01 PM
Sure it's a douchebag move but it is their store they can run it into the ground however they choose. Between their shady business practices and the coming age of DLC their days are numbered. In the mean time just be grateful we're all informed shoppers who take the time to research how much something is supposed to cost before we throw our money around.

MagGnome
06-15-2009, 06:09 PM
I noticed they had tons of stuff at 35, but didn't realize it was they themselves who were changing the price. Jerks.

To be fair to Gamestop (ugh) lots of first-party and even some third-party (Square) DS games are more than $30. Even at Target I've seen certain first-party DS titles go for $35.

mister slim
06-15-2009, 06:36 PM

That's much like defending a lynching on the grounds that it wasn't performed by people but rather an angry mob.

total
06-15-2009, 06:47 PM
That's much like defending a lynching on the grounds that it wasn't performed by people but rather an angry mob.

No it's like saying a corporation is going to do what they think is most profitable. You don't need metaphors to describe it as it is what Gamestop (and ALMOST every other corporation out there) has shown it will do time and again. This isn't surprising in the least. They sell used games right next to the brand new ones for $5 less because it is profitable. They charge more for used games than almost everywhere I've seen because it is profitable. Guess what else, it doesn't cost them $10 to ship you one game. Hell it doesn't cost them $5 to ship you game. They charge what they charge because they think they can. There is no morality involved with their decisions.

GunnyMo
06-15-2009, 07:08 PM
Sure it's a douchebag move but it is their store they can run it into the ground however they choose. Between their shady business practices and the coming age of DLC their days are numbered.

I don't see GS going away for a long, long time. We, as informed gamers, may see the coming of age of digital downloads (I'm assuming that's what you meant by "DLC") and are aware of GS's shady business practices but we are a very small percentage compared to their actual sales base. Brick and mortar game and movie sales are not going anywhere for a very long time. Americans have been behind the technology curve and I don't see that changing much in the near future. Downloading game apps to your cell phone by the unwashed masses is one thing. Downloading $60 games by the majority of those same masses is another. Think about how many people still don't have broadband and how many places these cable companies claim they "can't" put in broadband then you'll realize GS is the monster in the closet for the foreseeable future.

My completely off the wall projection is that it'll take a couple generations for digital download to be the norm. Personally, I don't expect to see it in my lifetime. Then again, I'm old.

Wolvie
06-16-2009, 04:23 AM
I think I know why they are doing this. If they inflate the price, they can suggest to trade in games to make it cheaper!

TheFlyingOrc
06-16-2009, 07:47 AM
My completely off the wall projection is that it'll take a couple generations for digital download to be the norm. Personally, I don't expect to see it in my lifetime. Then again, I'm old.

Are you aware that Microsoft is starting the service this year? It will be the norm very, very soon.

Ink Asylum
06-16-2009, 07:54 AM
I imagine he means the norm as in the majority of game purchases are done as digital downloads. I believe it will take a while for that to happen. Music has been digital for a while and physical CD sales still, to my knowledge, account for the majority of purchases.

Abednigo
06-16-2009, 09:28 AM
While I've seen Gamestop price gouging before (the suddenly discovered WoW Collector's Editions anyone?), I bought Chrono Trigger DS online from them the other day for 29.99 while every other website (Best Buy, Amazon, etc.), usually the cheaper options, were selling it for 39.99.

TheFlyingOrc
06-16-2009, 09:53 AM
I imagine he means the norm as in the majority of game purchases are done as digital downloads. I believe it will take a while for that to happen. Music has been digital for a while and physical CD sales still, to my knowledge, account for the majority of purchases.

I think it will happen more rapidly with games, as transportability is less of an issue, and people will actually make purchases, since piracy is more difficult (I don't think anyone here would say that music piracy is harder than game piracy).

Also developers want this, as it takes power away from gamestop, and saves them cost on disc printing/distribution, plus more people impulse buy. Unlike the music industry, which is doing everything in its power to make sure you still buy CDs.

Roughly, I think it's coming a lot faster than Gunny thinks.

cppcrusader
06-16-2009, 10:25 AM
I think it will happen more rapidly with games, as transportability is less of an issue, and people will actually make purchases, since piracy is more difficult (I don't think anyone here would say that music piracy is harder than game piracy).

Also developers want this, as it takes power away from gamestop, and saves them cost on disc printing/distribution, plus more people impulse buy. Unlike the music industry, which is doing everything in its power to make sure you still buy CDs.

Roughly, I think it's coming a lot faster than Gunny thinks.

You won't see it become the norm until those saved costs are passed on to the consumer in some way. Even still, people in general still prefer a physical medium. It's reassuring that you actually hold the physical object and don't have to rely on someone staying in business for years in order to be able to use it.

Until that mindset is gone it won't become the norm. Which basically means when people like me are long gone.

MagGnome
06-16-2009, 10:43 AM
You won't see it become the norm until those saved costs are passed on to the consumer in some way. Even still, people in general still prefer a physical medium. It's reassuring that you actually hold the physical object and don't have to rely on someone staying in business for years in order to be able to use it.

Until that mindset is gone it won't become the norm. Which basically means when people like me are long gone.

Yes, because you certainly represent the majority. :p

Ink Asylum
06-16-2009, 10:52 AM
Parents and casual gamers are going to continue buying games in stores for a long time.