PDA

View Full Version : Peter Molyneux Now Head of Microsoft Games Europe

DoctorFinger
06-04-2009, 06:56 AM
Peter Molyneux was a big deal at Microsoft ever since they purchased his studio, Lionhead. But now they've codified just how important he is to the company my making him the Creative Director of Microsoft's European game studios. This includes Rare and some smaller houses.

Molyneux remains the chief over at Lionhead, but his job now is to spread his particular brand of creativity to the rest of Microsoft's European studios, as well as streamline communication with the Washington-based headquarters.

Source - Edge-Online (http://www.edge-online.com/features/interview-peter-molyneuxs-new-microsoft-role).

Savok
06-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Oh jesus fucking christ.

Goronmon
06-04-2009, 07:39 AM
This is going to be the greatest thing ever for MS. Molyneux will be able to do things no executive has been able to do before. Just wait, with all the innovation he brings to his post, MS will be light years ahead of competition in no time at all!

Ten19
06-04-2009, 07:46 AM
I wonder if his contract included a "don't raise expectations too early" clause.

Shieldmaiden
06-04-2009, 08:10 AM
At least he'll spout endless hyperbole because he's really just a big kid who still gets overexcited about games, instead of some suit who doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.

quidmonkey
06-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Mmmmiiiioooo!!!

Kelegacy
06-04-2009, 08:44 AM
In Europe, the 360 will be able to play YOU thanks to an innovative new update coming down the tubes. Peter promises.

Grifter
06-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Oh jesus fucking christ.

Way to add to the thread. Lets see if we can shoot for two sentences next time.

violent
06-04-2009, 08:49 AM
Oh God. I don't like this Molyneux guy. I admire his ambition but I don't think I've enjoyed a single game he's made. Now, that little boy game he's working on, that could be fun.

heyo.

Bandango
06-04-2009, 08:51 AM
Oh jesus fucking christ.

DoctorFinger
06-04-2009, 08:56 AM
I don't doubt that he's a creative guy, he really is. Maybe taking a little of that creativity, and combining it with the more down to earth sensibilities of another dev will produce something cool.

H.Bogard
06-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Xbox 720 - now with growing trees and moral decisions ON THE DASHBOARD!

CES
06-04-2009, 09:00 AM

Actually, it aptly and quickly sums up this decision by MS. Can't they just stick him in marketing?

Wraith
06-04-2009, 09:08 AM
In Europe, the 360 will be able to play YOU thanks to an innovative new update coming down the tubes. Peter promises.Known internally as the Yakov Smirnoff Patch.

Grifter
06-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Actually, it aptly and quickly sums up this decision by MS. Can't they just stick him in marketing?

Yeah because a man who has more experience in the game industry actually making games (a shitload of them good) than most of you all have had birthdays is such a bad thing. Whether you like him on a personal level or not is besides the point and is honestly a pretty fucking stupid thing to base your opinion of someones abilities on.

Karak
06-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Very exciting. A good mix of his attitude towards games and then technical know how of the teams might rock.

Savok
06-04-2009, 10:12 AM
Stones in glass houses (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showpost.php?p=275102&postcount=234).

I love the man but he's a walking, self fulfilling curse.

CES
06-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Yeah because a man who has more experience in the game industry actually making games (a shitload of them good) than most of you all have had birthdays is such a bad thing. Whether you like him on a personal level or not is besides the point and is honestly a pretty fucking stupid thing to base your opinion of someones abilities on.

If he's got that much experience (and he does), then why the fuck does he keep delivering products that don't quite match up to what he claims they are. In just about any other career, that wouldn't be forgiven at all.

He's also notoriously hit-and-miss with his games (see: B&W2, The Movies, original Fable pre-TLC)

Wolvie
06-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Ah, so Molyneaux is MS' Miyamoto.

Orca
06-04-2009, 11:47 AM
Oh jesus fucking christ.

Aren't you the same guy who decries the death of western civilization?

Way to set a good example. :D

Ink Asylum
06-04-2009, 11:58 AM
As long as he's followed around in public by a guy with a whip to rein him in everytime he runs his mouth he'll do fine. He's a creative and innovative guy and he'll bring great ideas to the table, just keep him away from the cameras.

Xerxes
06-04-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm so proud for him.

mister slim
06-04-2009, 07:47 PM
I guess he's going to deal with the second party stuff, like Ruffian? It's not like MS has much left in the way of owned studios, much less in Europe.

Purple Santa
06-05-2009, 05:57 AM
Good for MS I guess. I think Lionhead loses out since PM's time will be spread thinner now. I liked PM's games in the past. I'm sad to see less time on them now though. This doesn't mean future games will be less quality, but if he's off running another dept., how can it not affect his work on his game creating/making?

Sl1pstream
06-05-2009, 05:20 PM
because he's really just a big kid who still gets overexcited about games,

Which is why I love hearing him talk.

This is a good thing imo.

DarkDay
06-05-2009, 05:22 PM
His ideas are huge so if he is just the creative director then that could be a very good thing, as long as the dev teams realize whats realistic and produce that.
But then this is coming from a guy who spent a shit ton of time on his games and enjoyed them all.

DoctorFinger
06-05-2009, 05:36 PM
All Microsoft Europe games will now have dogs.

Grifter
06-05-2009, 05:50 PM
All Microsoft Europe games will now have dogs.

and giant man eating cows.

Xerxes
06-05-2009, 06:38 PM
At least he'll spout endless hyperbole because he's really just a big kid who still gets overexcited about games, instead of some suit who doesn't know what the fuck he's talking about.

While everyone bashes him, I think this is probably his best quality. If someone told me I'd get to meet someone in the industry, I'd hope they are as imaginative and care half as much as he does about games. I know everyone does, but take into fact, people are annoyed with how much this guy cares. Ok, people are annoyed about his eyes being bigger than his stomach, or real world limitations as were. I mean you could meet Cammie from Nintendo. That could be fun. :confused:

If you lost your Xerxes decoder ring, tough luck. :o

Shieldmaiden
06-05-2009, 06:48 PM
The thing that really got him into trouble was Fable, but all he ever did was talk about stuff they were working on. It's exactly the openness that gamers go on about wanting from developers. Unfortunately it backfired when they had to cut so many features. He's definitely top on my list of games industry people I'd like to go down the pub with, just ahead of Gabe and Tycho and Kieron Gillen.

Sl1pstream
06-07-2009, 08:10 AM
The thing that really got him into trouble was Fable, but all he ever did was talk about stuff they were working on. It's exactly the openness that gamers go on about wanting from developers. Unfortunately it backfired when they had to cut so many features.

(and Black & White)