PDA

View Full Version : Rock Band: It Prints Money [The Numbers Game]

DoctorFinger
03-26-2009, 01:00 PM
MTV and Harmonix have just issued a press release touting the monumental sales of the Rock Band franchise, at retail and as digital downloads. How monumental?

The series has sold One Billion Dollars ($1B) worth of units at retail, in just 15 months of existence. That's in addition to 40 million paid song downloads; a number sure to increase when "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey comes to the platform in the near future. They also tout the more than 600 tracks available for the platform right now, both on disc and as DLC.

divinechaos
03-26-2009, 01:05 PM
Well deserved. Greatest music game ever crafted.

Deadend
03-26-2009, 01:19 PM
Guitar Hero games keep outselling it, so.. wow, those numbers have to be batshit crazy.

TheFlyingOrc
03-26-2009, 01:23 PM
Guitar Hero games keep outselling it, so.. wow, those numbers have to be batshit crazy.

Guitar Hero is much cheaper in most of its iterations - a lot more people buy just the game and guitar (or just the game) for GH at this point. The numbers are probably kinda close.

And GH doesn't sell anywhere NEAR the amount of DLC that Rock Band does.

DoctorFinger
03-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Well, the GH passed the $1B threshold a long time ago. Like, last spring IIRC.

Jboy001
03-26-2009, 01:31 PM

are you talking about GH's DLC or GH as a franchise?

Edit: nevermind, for some reason I read the article as $1 billion in DLC not in retail, sorry

TheFlyingOrc
03-26-2009, 01:31 PM

That would be with the sales from 3 games, while Rock Band has done it in 2.

DoctorFinger
03-26-2009, 01:36 PM
That would be with the sales from 3 games, while Rock Band has done it in 2.It's more like 12 games at this point. ;)

TrackZero
03-26-2009, 02:15 PM
It's more like 12 games at this point. ;)

Well, 3 IMHO (RB1 + RB2 + ACDC). The track pack discs are the equivalent of DLC (and at a cheaper price, so technically they're making less than if you bought it online, not counting printing the discs). And they've been around a much shorter time.

DoctorFinger
03-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Well, 3 IMHO (RB1 + RB2 + ACDC). The track pack discs are the equivalent of DLC (and at a cheaper price, so technically they're making less than if you bought it online, not counting printing the discs). And they've been around a much shorter time.
I was referring to Guitar Hero ;). According to Wiki there have been 9 GH games spread across the consoles and DS (I don't count mob games) with two more - Metallica and Greatest Hits - coming soon. But GH3 alone has sold $1B, and Activision claims it's the first single, non-bundled game to ever do so.

Food Nipple
03-26-2009, 02:35 PM
And people wonder why they still release yearly installments of the game. According to the numbers listed in the news story, DLC makes up less than eight percent of the revenue generated at retail.

TheFlyingOrc
03-26-2009, 02:36 PM
And people wonder why they still release yearly installments of the game. According to the numbers listed in the news story, DLC makes up less than eight percent of the revenue generated at retail.

Profit margin on DLC is pretty wicked high.

Also, there's not supposed to be a yearly installment this year.

Food Nipple
03-26-2009, 02:38 PM
Profit margin on DLC is pretty wicked high.

Also, there's not supposed to be a yearly installment this year.

The Beatles Game is this year, regardless of the name they throw on the box, Harmonix needs an annual release to stay in business.

Shadowmage952
03-26-2009, 02:47 PM

I think he was referring to GH, in which case he is probably just about right.

/edit

Blah, this is what I get for playing a song in Rockband and then responding. Only missed it by about 6 comments.

Jason
03-26-2009, 03:29 PM
I guess this proves Harmonix = $$$.

Esquilax1138
03-26-2009, 09:23 PM
PC version please! Don't make me buy GH World Tour for the PC just because it's the only game out for my platform. It's not like you can pirate the hardware to play the game and DLC can sell on the PC too, so fucking get it out!

Pale Ale
03-26-2009, 10:59 PM
[QUOTE=DoctorFinger;217836] a number sure to increase when "Don't Stop Believing" by Journey comes to the platform in the near future./QUOTE]

I think has to be the single, scariest line I ever saw on the front page.

I think I need a hug.

CES
03-27-2009, 09:15 AM
$1 billion in revenue, impressive. Now, if they'd care to spend some of that billion on a proper release of the RB2 hardware, I'd be most happy.

Shadowmage952
03-27-2009, 09:31 AM
$1 billion in revenue, impressive. Now, if they'd care to spend some of that billion on a proper release of the RB2 hardware, I'd be most happy.

I couldn't agree more. With the amount of time and effort (and money) I've put into repairing my RB2 drum set I wish I had just gone with the $300 Ion Kit.