PDA

View Full Version : I hate dumb people

x Returner x
03-20-2009, 12:43 PM
You guys probably already saw this but here (http://www.lowellsun.com/ci_11949013).

Inverarity
03-20-2009, 12:50 PM
You see, folks, it's only acceptable to kill *PEOPLE* in video games. When will society learn?

National Kato
03-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Oh, Breanna.

Inverarity
03-20-2009, 12:56 PM
I should add that I don't want to be too hard on the kids. They've found something that sincerely bothers them, and they're trying to make a difference - in a somewhat silly, not-seeing-the-forest-for-the-trees, very teenagery way.

When legislators and talk show hosts, etc., pull this stuff, it's legitimately galling and they should be mocked mercilessly. But I'm inclined to go easy on this bunch.

x Returner x
03-20-2009, 12:59 PM
I should add that I don't want to be too hard on the kids. They've found something that sincerely bothers them, and they're trying to make a difference - in a somewhat silly, not-seeing-the-forest-for-the-trees, very teenagery way.

When legislators and talk show hosts, etc., pull this stuff, it's legitimately galling and they should be mocked mercilessly. But I'm inclined to go easy on this bunch.

You can't go easy on them they'll just turn into the people you just mentioned.

Shieldmaiden
03-20-2009, 01:02 PM

I see them in the same way that I see Jehovah's Witnesses and other door-to-door evangelical types: They're a pain in the arse, but I respect them for having the conviction to do what they do.

Wasson_
03-20-2009, 01:03 PM
How fucking retarded can these people get?

Inverarity
03-20-2009, 01:04 PM
You can't go easy on them they'll just turn into the people you just mentioned.
I really don't think so. Plenty of us here, I'll wager, were earnest and concerned about one issue or another when we were teenagers, in a way that would embarrass us now; that's just part of being an adolescent. The overreactions and simplifications are part of the process of figuring out the world and where you want to fit in it.

Some people, to be sure, never grow out of the overreactions and oversimplifications. But mockery wouldn't have changed that...

Ancalagon
03-20-2009, 01:07 PM
Some people, to be sure, never grow out of the overreactions and oversimplifications. But mockery wouldn't have changed that...

No, but it makes me feel superior and thats enough for me.

Jokes, this kind of thing is hardly new, and we havent seen the last of it.

pronounconnoun
03-20-2009, 02:56 PM
I'd hate to be the kid that grows up with her as a mom. The only game my mother put her foot down on was Diablo, and that was for religious reasons. I have a feeling this girl is going to ban Mario for it's depictions of throwing turtles.

iHap
03-20-2009, 03:07 PM
Any one else notice that there wasn't such a thing as silencers in Call of Duty: World at War? Wrong game?

Inverarity
03-20-2009, 03:19 PM
Probably an error on the Sun's part in finding a screenshot from the right game. Wouldn't be the first time. Honestly, we're lucky it wasn't from Duke Nukem or Missile Command; papers don't tend to put a lot of effort into that sort of thing.

Expugnare
03-20-2009, 04:12 PM
So when a dog tries to rip your throat out, you shouldn't put up a fight?

Darwin will thank these kids.

pronounconnoun
03-20-2009, 04:18 PM
She must really hate Cujo and Old Yeller.

Smoof
03-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Probably an error on the Sun's part in finding a screenshot from the right game. Wouldn't be the first time. Honestly, we're lucky it wasn't from Duke Nukem or Missile Command; papers don't tend to put a lot of effort into that sort of thing.

I looked at the pictures before I read the article and the first thing I noticed from that screenshot was that it was STALKER. At least, I'm almost certain it's STALKER.

Edit: Upon second glance, maybe not.

Eitherway, these kids need to get a life. There are a lot more things to be angry over than shooting an animal in a video game. Why don't they go do something productive? Maybe they're just a little too uptight...I think I could fix that for them *thrust*

Inspector Fowler
03-20-2009, 05:41 PM
Any one else notice that there wasn't such a thing as silencers in Call of Duty: World at War? Wrong game?

You did play multiplayer, right? Virtually every weapon could be equipped with a suppressor or flash hider (which both accomplished the same thing, silence and UAV invisibility). I don't know if you ever got them in SP, I didn't care about WaW's single player.

Although, thinking back, I can't remember if pistols could get a silencer or not.

boratika
03-20-2009, 09:32 PM
I am the only one here that actually wishes they'd stop putting dogs in videogames and necessitate me shooting them in the face? I don't seem to have a problem shooting wave after wave of humans facewise, but I feel sick every time I have to shoot a dog.

Other animals I don't want to shoot in the face include cats, ferrets, horses, giraffes and cappybarras.

roboninja
03-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Mmmmm, cappyburgers!

iHap
03-20-2009, 09:59 PM
You did play multiplayer, right? Virtually every weapon could be equipped with a suppressor or flash hider (which both accomplished the same thing, silence and UAV invisibility). I don't know if you ever got them in SP, I didn't care about WaW's single player.

Although, thinking back, I can't remember if pistols could get a silencer or not.
I beat SP and I couldn't bare to play anymore. CoD4 was the right direction and WoW should have never happened. Just gets in the way with CoD6.

Kojak
03-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Here is my all time fav quote from the article.

Last fall, a judge in Alberta, Canada, banned four teens from playing video games as part of their probation after they put a cat in a microwave oven, though no direct link between video games and the cruel act was established in the case

I love stupid people though, they make me realise how awesome the people that I respect in my life are.

Philonious
03-20-2009, 10:48 PM

Eventhough videogames were unrelated, the kids did DESERVE to essentially be grounded by the legal system. If all they got was probabtion they would have spent the entire time gaming: Not exactly suitable punishment.

Kojak
03-20-2009, 10:52 PM
Except for of course that he didn't get grounded by the judge at least. The judge said he was not allowed to play video games. So he was still alowed to watch movies, go to parties ect. That is if his parents didn't having anything to say about the matter.

So why exactly did the judge say videogames?

Philonious
03-20-2009, 11:06 PM
So why exactly did the judge say videogames?

I don't know the case, but if the judge singled out videogames the it is pretty stupid. But if he banned multiple form of entertainment then I support banning games... We shouldn't be rewarding idiots. I was invisioning a 'Disturbia' scenario where house arrest = holiday.

mister slim
03-20-2009, 11:22 PM

Don't you remember the cat preparation mini-game from Cooking Mama?

I can't imagine what these people do when faced with a rabid dog or a culture that eats dogs.

Kojak
03-20-2009, 11:28 PM
I don't know the case, but if the judge singled out videogames the it is pretty stupid. But if he banned multiple form of entertainment then I support banning games... We shouldn't be rewarding idiots. I was invisioning a 'Disturbia' scenario where house arrest = holiday.

I can agree with you there, but it seems like videogames were singled out and no other form of entertainment was banned. I wasn't saying that he shouldn't be banned from videogames I was saying why is that the only thing he was banned from.

boratika
03-20-2009, 11:43 PM
I'd hate to be the kid that grows up with her as a mom. The only game my mother put her foot down on was Diablo, and that was for religious reasons. I have a feeling this girl is going to ban Mario for it's depictions of throwing turtles.

Because of some pro-demon religion that sees slaying demons as a bad thing?...

You mother doesn't happen to worship Chaos, does she?

Don't you remember the cat preparation mini-game from Cooking Mama?

No, but I remember Maniac Mansion. Which, I should mention, did inspire me to save my girlfriend from a mansion inhabited by creepy weirdoes. Which wouldn't have been so bad...except that I drowned two of my friends in the pool then blew up the house. Terrible, corrupting influence, that game.

Sl1pstream
03-21-2009, 10:51 AM
Lucci says the game's retail price of $59.99 is another good reason parents should discourage their children from purchasing "Call of Duty: World at War," which carries a "Mature 17-plus" rating.

The price is one of the reasons? I mean, there's a million reasons she could've come up with, but the price?

H.Bogard
03-21-2009, 11:02 AM
Eventhough videogames were unrelated, the kids did DESERVE to essentially be grounded by the legal system. If all they got was probabtion they would have spent the entire time gaming: Not exactly suitable punishment.

"Legal System" is another word for "Retarded solutions that don't do jack shit". Those fucking kids should be anally raped to death by drilling machines.

'Grounded' my ass.

Wedge
03-21-2009, 04:17 PM
So when a dog tries to rip your throat out, you shouldn't put up a fight?

Darwin will thank these kids.

Yes, this game should be credited for teaching the right thing to do when a trained attack dog comes at you and you have a gun.

Don't show these kids Fable 2, where you can kill bunnies.

Wedge
03-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Other animals I don't want to shoot in the face include cats, ferrets, horses, giraffes and cappybarras.

And here I am, disappointed that I didn't get to clip giraffes in the knee caps with a jeep in Far Cry 2.

Kelegacy
03-21-2009, 05:06 PM
Lucci then adds, "My brother is a sweetheart. He won't be killing dogs after playing. But some people might."

Way to give people the benefit of the doubt. I always want to go out and break crates after playing Diablo.

mister slim
03-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Way to give people the benefit of the doubt. I always want to go out and break crates after playing Diablo.

Really? I always want to sacrifice a child to bring back my dark lord.

Might just be me.

ShivaX
03-21-2009, 07:50 PM
I really don't think so. Plenty of us here, I'll wager, were earnest and concerned about one issue or another when we were teenagers, in a way that would embarrass us now; that's just part of being an adolescent. The overreactions and simplifications are part of the process of figuring out the world and where you want to fit in it.

Actually using one of their own quotes against them:

"Killing dogs as a form of entertainment ... over and over again. That's one of the objects of the game," says Lucci, 19, a senior at NDA. "Parents need to know what they are buying their kids. Killing animals should not be a form of entertainment."
"I fear young kids playing these games and thinking it's all right to do this -- because they do it in a video game," says Morin, a senior.
Replace the word "dog/animal" with "person/people" and you've basically got the exact argument the people in question use. Last I looked the objective of CoD wasn't "go kill as many dogs as you can over and over again." The objective was "don't die, oh sweet Jesus that dog is going to rip out our throat, make it stop."

Just reading the article there is no difference between them and the other group. Both are arguing from a point of ignorance and allowing people to do it because they're "young and stupid" is what allows people who should know better to grow up thinking that way.

boratika
03-21-2009, 08:12 PM
You know, I can think of a game that has significantly more violence towards animals than any CoD. I shudder to think what would happen if it actually inspired anyone to emulate it.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f66/boratika/the-world-ends-with-you-20080306072.jpg

Won't someone think of the frogs?!

Press Ninja
03-21-2009, 08:54 PM
You know, I can think of a game that has significantly more violence towards animals than any CoD. I shudder to think what would happen if it actually inspired anyone to emulate it.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f66/boratika/the-world-ends-with-you-20080306072.jpg

Won't someone think of the frogs?!

Fuck frogs, man. They're FRENCH.

Raen
03-23-2009, 04:23 AM
What confuses me about this is they're advising parents not to buy they're kids a 17-plus game because it depicts violence to dogs. Surely people should just advise that parents take note of the fact that it's a mature game and may contain violence/disturbing scenes. You know the same way you would with a mature movie? *sigh*

And as was noted above the price argument is just kinda... weird :S

menage
03-23-2009, 04:37 AM
She needs to get laid.

Superman's Dead
03-23-2009, 04:47 AM
they should have sent...a comedian...