PDA

View Full Version : Where you live

tombofsoldier
02-27-2009, 03:04 AM
Do you like where you live? Moving away from the place I've lived most of my life has made me realize how awesome a lot of the northern S.F. Bay Area is. I miss being able to walk around in shorts and sandals 95% of the time, the fact that in spring cherry blossom trees are planted all around Napa and the fields and vineyards are covered in yellow mustard flowers.

Living in Arcata sucks mostly. Rain is cool, but not almost everyday for weeks at at time. The mountains look cool and the view across the bay can be spectacular, if you ignore the ugly assed factory and shit on the other side. But most of all I came to realize that the actual city and people were more to my liking in places like San Rafael and ect.

For a city of 15,000 there's a huge amount of bums. For every cool, hitchhiking guitar player or aerial goggles dude that gives away free handmade jewelry there's 5 pathetic looking bums spilling trash and sleeping in the streets. All the rest of the people seem divided into stupid rednecks, delusional people who went to college here and thought the town was "fantastic!", and actual college students.

The buildings and yards are all run down because half the places are rentals. Stores are boarded up, the weather gives everything a dilapidated look, and the ants are annoying as hell. I.E. the actual town itself is not very pretty to look at.

It's certainly been, and continues to be, and interesting experience. This place would have you believe that Prop 8 never stood a chance, and that Ron Paul nearly won the 08 election.

But I miss going to Peet's Coffee, sitting down with a white mocha that didn't taste like someone was jamming coffee beans down your throat, and being able to listen to people talk about how to grow marijuana, or give tips on what the hot stocks are right now. I miss going to bakeries and other businesses that were independent because they were better than corporate chains, not because a bunch of hippies want to keep "big business" out. I miss walking along streets of nicely kept suburban houses, with trees separating sidewalk from street and the chance to see a brilliant garden sitting in front of almost any house. Finally I miss living in a place where people don't smoke all the time, because quite frankly it stinks like hell and there are cigarette butts everywhere.

Ok Question Time:

So where have you lived, and how has it been different? Have you guys ever lived in a place you'd love to return to, or a place you'd never visit again in a million years? Huge wall of text above I know :o but what's the most interesting location you've actually lived in?

diablopath
02-27-2009, 04:30 AM
I've lived all over the place; I hated it while I was there, and missed it when I was gone.

The most immediate ones I remember are Japan and Arizona.

Japan was just really fun. I hated being so far away from home, but I really enjoyed my time there. I'm trying to get in a program to let me go spend a semester there, just to experience it again.

Arizona was really hot, but it was a dry heat, not a humid heat. I really enjoyed the desert. The lightning storms we used to get were outrageously awesome. The town was kinda slummy and stuff, so I don't know how much I'd want to go back.

Right now, I live in Central Kentucky. I love the scenery sometime. Although, going to places like Florida, I love it less that I used to. There are only two things that have kept me here:
1) College scholarship.
2) A few relationships I'm not sure I'm willing to give up on yet.

I'd really like to move to New Hampshire, where my dad's family is. I love the feeling I have when I'm up there. I love the towns up there. I love foliage, I dunno -.o

Wolvie
02-27-2009, 04:33 AM
Lived in northern Michigan for about 23 years of my life. Then I met my wife and moved to Kansas. Kansas is okay, but the scenery is nowhere near as beautiful up north... of course Kansas has a better economy, so Kansas wins.

diablopath
02-27-2009, 04:34 AM
Lived in northern Michigan for about 23 years of my life. Then I met my wife and moved to Kansas. Kansas is okay, but the scenery is nowhere near as beautiful up north... of course Kansas has a better economy, so Kansas wins.

I think you mean that Michigan scenery is better?
I dunno, maybe my five a.m. comprehension skills are shitty, but I don't understand >.>.

Wolvie
02-27-2009, 04:45 AM
I think you mean that Michigan scenery is better?
I dunno, maybe my five a.m. comprehension skills are shitty, but I don't understand >.>.

Let the pictures do the talking then:

Michigan
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/WOLVERYNE/scenery.jpg

Kansas
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/WOLVERYNE/boring_landscape.jpg

Michigan has rolling hills, and lush forests as far as the eye can see. It's stunning in the fall, the colors are amazing.

Kansas has... lots of flat land and... well that's about it.

I love living here, but there's not a lot to look at.

TrackZero
02-27-2009, 05:18 AM
For every cool, hitchhiking guitar player or aerial goggles dude that gives away free handmade jewelry there's 5 pathetic looking bums spilling trash and sleeping in the streets.

Wait, what? I think you've lived in too nice of a place if you think the homeless do much else other than be homeless asking for change or the odd busker. Though I will say the homeless in Seattle creeped me out. I actually got attitude from people when I'd say I have no change for them ("Fuck you asshole." Versus the Toronto homeless "Oh well, have a nice day!").

The buildings and yards are all run down because half the places are rentals. Stores are boarded up, the weather gives everything a dilapidated look, and the ants are annoying as hell. I.E. the actual town itself is not very pretty to look at.

If it's an industrial town, from what I gathered of your earlier mention of factories, that's par per the course. But I know the exact "look" you're describing.

But I miss going to Peet's Coffee, sitting down with a white mocha that didn't taste like someone was jamming coffee beans down your throat, and being able to listen to people talk about how to grow marijuana, or give tips on what the hot stocks are right now. I miss going to bakeries and other businesses that were independent because they were better than corporate chains, not because a bunch of hippies want to keep "big business" out.

Actually in my experience, mom and pop shops stay open specifically because of local community support keeping out the big chains, quality of the product usually isn't really a factor.

I miss walking along streets of nicely kept suburban houses, with trees separating sidewalk from street and the chance to see a brilliant garden sitting in front of almost any house.

That we can both agree with. Just depends on where you live. I can tell you for a fact that there's plenty of places outside of SF exactly like that (even, *gasp* on the east coast). Just depends on the town/city planners, history, industry, etc.

Finally I miss living in a place where people don't smoke all the time, because quite frankly it stinks like hell and there are cigarette butts everywhere.

Yeah...can't help you there chief. I'm a smoker, so... Though my butts 99.9% of the time go in the proper receptacles. If not they go on the street, because the daily street sweepers pick them up. While we have moved smoking out of bars, public places and apparently now even in your car, it's still something lots of people do here and we don't get attitude about it (heh, except from our doctors).

Ok Question Time:

Sweet, I love questions!

So where have you lived, and how has it been different? Have you guys ever lived in a place you'd love to return to, or a place you'd never visit again in a million years? Huge wall of text above I know but what's the most interesting location you've actually lived in?

I've lived in 6 different towns/cities myself. Each with their own flavour and style. Generally speaking, places are formed by the industries prevalent to the area. Living in a mining town in a valley in the middle of no where is quite different than an overnight pulp and paper mill city or a long established harbour town with a large retirement community.

The one constant I've learned that largely determines the pleasantness of an area is the average age of the population. The worst place I ever lived had pretty much no one older than 45. All the adults were busy working or partying, far too many kids weren't being properly parented or supervised and there was zero sense of community. It was all about making as much money as you could. Contrast that to my "home" town which was a retirement community/farming town on a bay, polar opposite. My best guess is that as a community, the more elder members there are, there's a subconscious difference in the way people act.

Living in Toronto these days (the past 11 years) is quite different however. In a place so large and multicultural, it just depends on where you are in the city for the landscape and attitudes to change (within reason).

In my experience though, I try not to pigeon hole people where I go, as I've learned that personalities are often formed by cultural influences outside of their control and know that if they grew up elsewhere, they'd be completely different in their outlook. Even some of the most "redneck" people I know are quite nice and reasonable, views are often just formed from lack of experience in their areas (or if they watch too much political trash on TV, left or right).

My only advice for where you're living now is to try and keep an open mind, learn more about the areas history, find what they like to do for fun there and see if any of it appeals to you at all (be it clubs, sports, the library, whatever). There's good stuff in any place if you give it time and look around, though it often takes an open mind on your own part.

TrackZero
02-27-2009, 05:20 AM
Let the pictures do the talking then:

Michigan
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/WOLVERYNE/scenery.jpg

Michigan has rolling hills, and lush forests as far as the eye can see. It's stunning in the fall, the colors are amazing.

Looks exactly like southern Ontario, heh (wonder why that is.....). And yeah, it's awesome.

Wolvie
02-27-2009, 05:32 AM
Looks exactly like southern Ontario, heh (wonder why that is.....). And yeah, it's awesome.

Oh as beautiful as Michigan is, Canada is just as gorgeous maybe even more so. I vacationed on a cabin sitting on a tiny Island in the middle of a lake up in Canada... I have yet to see more beautiful scenery.

Wasson_
02-27-2009, 05:58 AM
I miss my home in Nebraska. Tiled floors with custom mosaics that my father and I laid, there isn't a tile in that house that I didn't cut.

A country home, yet not far from several towns, so many flowers in the summer, our home (near the Platte River) bares witness to many beautiful song birds and at night the air is filled with a full symphony of bugs, frogs and the occasional owl.

I took leave and visited towards the end of August of last year, my father had a Morning glory plant that had grown 30 feet tall, he had guy wires holding a thick piece of rebar straight up. Damn it was beautiful.

ugh...but right now I'm in Grand Forks North Dakota. It's very cold and VERY flat yes way flatter than Nebraska, which is actually mostly gently rolling hills in the east and then the sand hills far out west. I Just looked at a google maps under the Terrain tab...around where I am (Grand Forks AFB)...it has no topographical features...it's fucking ridiculous!

It's fucking miserable here in the winter. I can't say I'm particularly enamored with it...

Kelegacy
02-27-2009, 06:01 AM
I've lived in Maine my entire life (28 yrs) and I love it for the most part. I grew up in the sticks and loved it. Beautiful and quiet, lots of privacy. Would like to return there, though I don't really live in a big city (Augusta) it's too busy for me. The home I wanted to buy in my hometown is under contract by some other fucksticks, we found out yesterday. So we're still looking for a home. I want my kids to enjoy a peaceful, quiet, rural area like I grew up in. Houses are spaced out properly, with acres of land per home. Not .21 lot size or some shit like urban sprawls and suburbs.

It's funny though. I didn't realize how much I loved the country until I lived in the city. Been there for 5 years. Fucking sucks. But we're moving, I just don't know where yet. It's starting to look like the suburbs, which I'm not keen about. I want to be able to take a piss outside, behind a tree, without ten neighbors seeing my dick.

Wasson_
02-27-2009, 06:15 AM
I want to be able to take a piss outside, behind a tree, without ten neighbors seeing my dick.

ahhahaah... isn't that just an awesome feeling, just just unzip and not have to give a shit where you pissing?

Primus
02-27-2009, 06:22 AM
DC and it's suburbs are a great area. Just look at Fallout 3... so much to do!

Kelegacy
02-27-2009, 06:26 AM
ahhahaah... isn't that just an awesome feeling, just just unzip and not have to give a shit where you pissing?

Unfortunately, I doubt that's that will happen. Oh well, hope the neighbors aren't afraid of a few lbs of swingin' meat.

Chris_D
02-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Living west of Osaka (Japan) is nice. I'm nestled between the mountains and the ocean so the air is fresh and clean nearly every day. Being close to the mountains gives me hiking trails about 15 minutes walk from my place. Also, it's an up market family oriented neighbourhood so it's peaceful, clean, and pretty. Fortunately my apartment is pretty cheap (but still bigger than what you'd get for the same money in Kobe or Osaka city). I'm lucky enough to have two supermarkets within walking distance. Also I can get to Osaka or Kobe within 20 minutes by train. I'm missing out on restaurants, there are only really 3 nearby, one which isn't very good and one which is too expensive for casual dining (but really nice). Also, if I'm having a night out I can't stay out past the last train or I have to pay and expensive taxi fare. There aren't really any night spots around here.

Narradisall
02-27-2009, 07:28 AM
Pretty.

I wonder how one moves to this new country, America...

Kelegacy
02-27-2009, 07:37 AM
Living west of Osaka (Japan) is nice. I'm nestled between the mountains and the ocean so the air is fresh and clean nearly every day. Being close to the mountains gives me hiking trails about 15 minutes walk from my place. Also, it's an up market family oriented neighbourhood so it's peaceful, clean, and pretty. Fortunately my apartment is pretty cheap (but still bigger than what you'd get for the same money in Kobe or Osaka city). I'm lucky enough to have two supermarkets within walking distance. Also I can get to Osaka or Kobe within 20 minutes by train. I'm missing out on restaurants, there are only really 3 nearby, one which isn't very good and one which is too expensive for casual dining (but really nice). Also, if I'm having a night out I can't stay out past the last train or I have to pay and expensive taxi fare. There aren't really any night spots around here.

Sounds perfect. But, let me ask you the most important question: How far away are you from a panty dispenser?

Chris_D
02-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Sounds perfect. But, let me ask you the most important question: How far away are you from a panty dispenser?

Hah, sorry mate, I've never actually seen one. Probably the strangest vending machine I've seen in Japan is a battery vending machine. But batteries aren't particularly erotic unless you put them in the right device.

Btw, here are some photos of my area, in spoiler tags so not to clog up the thread :).

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq78/Mr_GT_Chris/07-04-09_10-18.jpg

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq78/Mr_GT_Chris/07-04-09_10-24.jpg

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq78/Mr_GT_Chris/07-05-20_14-51.jpg

http://i435.photobucket.com/albums/qq78/Mr_GT_Chris/07-05-20_15-101.jpg

roboninja
02-27-2009, 08:07 AM
I have lived in several towns in my home province (Newfoundland), Halifax, and now Ottawa. I also had a few years living just outside of DC (Rockville, MD).

My favourite town/city would probably be Halifax, the place just fit for me. The perfect mix of down East community and manners with lots of night life. If I ever get the chance to retire, though, it will be to a nice little cottage back in Newfoundland on a lake somewhere. That is what I miss most.

Wilkz07
02-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Place: Thunder Bay, ON
Length of Occupation: 25 years
Reason for Fleeing: Finished degree, left for Post Grad in Toronto
Highlights of City: SilverCity Theatre, 4 Strip clubs, bars with no cover and cheap drinks all the time.

Meh, Tbay was good while I was there. Did all schooling there from Elementary thru University. Cold in the winters, warm but not overly hot in the summer. Had a good job working for the city as a Lifeguard through highschool and university. Lived at home and had my own, paid for car (didn't pay for insurance as it was an ongoing yearly birthday present from my dad). In my last years of university I realized that there was nothing in this city for me and applied for a post grad at Humber College in toronto. Was dating a girl at the time and she moved to North York after her graduation and started work as a teacher.

Place: Etobicoke, ON
Length of Occupation: 2-3 years
Reason for Fleeing: Bought a house in another area, neighbourhood was going to shit.
Highlights: Rogers Video close by, not much else. If you were out after dark you ran the risk of getting mugged or murdered.

Lived here with gf (from tbay, yes long distance worked) while I did my post grad at Humber. Worked at a rogers video so had a free stream of games and movies coming in. Bought a house and moved out of our basement apartment.

Place: Oakville, ON
Length of Occupation: current
Highlights: Close to GO transit, close to AMC complex and restaurants, L.A. Fitness, Bestbuy/Futureshop/EBgames. Tim Hortons/Wendy's on the other side of my backyard fence.

Bought a house, got married. I like it here. Its close to everything. Have a deck and backyard and can play rockband as loud as i want without someone banging on the walls or floor upstairs to turn down the noise. No crime in our area either.

And on the bonus disc of Tom Green's latest album (the one with Teachers Suck) him and his crew are filming and skateboarding in the wendy's parking lot behind my house.

Etobicoke - there's no reason to for me to go back there.
Thunder Bay - have family that live there and we go visit occasionally on holidays or if there is a cheap flight.

Squidbot
02-27-2009, 08:27 AM
I love where I live. Mrs The Squid and I live in a town called Maidenhead, 25 miles West of London, and are in an old converted stables, in the grounds of a town house that is used as offices for a management consultancy firm. It's a gated property, away from main roads, and on weekday evenings and weekends we have the grounds to ourselves.

Our driveway
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/linvuiet/drive.jpg

Home
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/linvuiet/home-1.jpg

Part of the grounds
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/linvuiet/frontview.jpg

The river Thames, 5 minutes from my front door.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/linvuiet/river.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/linvuiet/views.jpg

We get a variety of wildlife visiting us, including squirells, foxes and some crazy green parrots.

As for interesting places to live, when I was young I lived in a converted British Gas van, travelling around the country, just me and my dog. That would qualify as the most interesting place I've lived, but since returning to society, my current home is my favourite, although I once lived in a flat that had a access to a massive heated swimming pool, which was nice.

Karak
02-27-2009, 08:50 AM
I don't think I ever found out. Why are you living there? What do you do?

Inspector Fowler
02-27-2009, 09:02 AM
Squid, your place looks awesome. :)

You couldn't DRAG me out of Fort Collins. Although the number of people here is increasing rapidly (thank God the economy is finally slowing here) and growth is out of control (we expand out and let the interior decay like many cities) I love this place with a passion.

I am literal minutes away from the foothills and any number of easy hiking trails. You can bike almost anywhere in this city without too much fear of being killed, and since a lot of the bike trails are actual trails and not just lanes, you can get someplace with pretty scenery too!

I'm within an hour or two of higher altitude mountains, within 2-3 hours of many great ski resorts. There is a college, which serves not only as a huge employer (it's my employer!) but as somebody mentioned above, a lot of people stay here. Fresh blood is vital.

The streets are wide and we have a truckload of trees. There are more restaurants than I know what to do with. My parents live a literal 2 minutes outside city limits and yet their entire west side of the house has a gorgeous view of the mountains, a river, and hundreds of acres of grazing land.

Although I do fantasize about moving to some actual property (hopefully between 10 and 30 acres) so my wife's horse can live with us, I still won't leave the area. You would have to kick me out at gunpoint.

Karak
02-27-2009, 09:23 AM
I have always lived on the Oregon coast. First was a small town(Toledo Oregon) amazing place, forests for miles, camping, and unlike others I LOVE the wind and rain. Best place ever for writing.

I lived in Corvallis Oregon and I must say, hottest chicks in a small area I have ever seen. Also pretty pompus place to live but it was always super clean and pretty low on crime.

I live in Eugene Oregon now. It's ok. I have to get used to the horrible amount of bumes and unwashed heathens running around. And they are not the nice bums. I have also been called a fucker many times when I refuse to give someone money. And when I say "I have some firewood to cut want to come cut firewood and I will pay you" I almost get stabbed.

The girls here are...strange as well. Nice, some are pretty but a good 80% have more armpit and leg hair then I could grow. I actually tripped and almost fell down in surprise(true story)when my boss waved me over to her desk one day and a giant sleeve of unshaven armpit hair flicked out like the head of Garry Ganew.
But not a single normal way to have a conversation if it isn't a deep indepth conversation about the world, politics and so forth around her. I get that shit in my job. I don't need it in my personal life as well. Luckily I have a pretty normal girl, though even she has some pretty strange driving motivations in life(she has lived here all her life)

Mot Wakorb
02-27-2009, 09:23 AM
I've lived in Green Bay, WI all of my life, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. If I want to go to a large city, Milwaukee is 1.5 hours away and Chicago is 2.5-3 hours away. If I want to hunt or do anything outdoors, 15 minutes out of town and I'm able to do so. We've got the football team I love, enough really decent places to eat and shop, and a city of 100,000 people really feels like a small town.

It's home.

Chris_D
02-27-2009, 09:29 AM
I don't think I ever found out. Why are you living there? What do you do?

It's not too exciting but I was working in IT for 6 years until I got fed up with it. Came here looking for a change and haven't looked back. I'm earning my living teaching English (ESL).

rein
02-27-2009, 10:05 AM
I am very homesick right now. I miss Hot Springs (http://www.hotsprings.org/). I visit most weekends but it's not the same as living there.

To rank the places I have lived favorite to least:
1. Hot Springs, AR - Where I was born and where I hope to die.
2. San Diego, CA - OMFG the weather is nice.
3. Millington, TN - I lived there my last two years of high school and a few years later. I am sure I would have had a blast whever I was living but it was a great place to be at that time.
4. Conway, AR - Blarghhhhh! Not digging it at all. At least I have a Target.

theman
02-27-2009, 10:07 AM
I live in New Jersey... I know, it sucks.

Doctor Setebos
02-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Middle of Iowa. Pretty in the spring and summer. Gorgeous in the fall. Shitty in the winter.

But it's cheap living; great, friendly people everywhere; and low crime.

Rakael
02-27-2009, 10:34 AM
I am very homesick right now. I miss Hot Springs (http://www.hotsprings.org/). I visit most weekends but it's not the same as living there.

To rank the places I have lived favorite to least:
1. Hot Springs, AR - Where I was born and where I hope to die.
2. San Diego, CA - OMFG the weather is nice.
3. Millington, TN - I lived there my last two years of high school and a few years later. I am sure I would have had a blast whever I was living but it was a great place to be at that time.
4. Conway, AR - Blarghhhhh! Not digging it at all. At least I have a Target.

Hot Springs is a beautiful town. I'm actually thinking about moving there in the next few years.

Superman's Dead
02-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Chris_D, that looks gorgeous. Wow.

I was born in Connecticut but don't really remember it.

Grew up in Las Vegas, which was great because it never gets too cold...and the city itself is big enough to have all those 'city' things like pool halls and Del Taco and almost everything open 24 hours that I grew to love as I got older.

Then I moved to south-east Kansas. It's not as flat as everywhere else (because its practically Oklahoma), but the cold and I did not sit well together. The town was too small, not enough within walking distance, no food open late, the closest videogame store an hour away...blah.

I live in central Missouri now and it's not that bad. The town's a little bigger, there's a bus system, I go to a school filled with women...

But it is still so fucking cold. I love cities. Big ones. I love concrete and stone walls and buses at 2 AM and fast food wherever you look and life all around you. I plan to move to LA when I graduate and get rich and famous...because it won't be so cold there, either.

rein
02-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Hot Springs is a beautiful town. I'm actually thinking about moving there in the next few years.

I really miss the lakes in the area. Even if I do not move back soon, I will most likely build a small cabin/A-frame on my parents (well, I guess mine and my brothers after probate) farm which is about a half mile from access to Lake Degray. It's in Bismark but close enough for a great weekend home. Honestly, even when I move back to Hot Springs having the place on the weekends will be great.

I'm not exactly sure how I forgot to include Oakland, CA on my list... ...oh wait, I've been trying to rub that 15 months out of my memory since leaving there.

What I really want to do is live on a boat. Even if it is on Lake Degray or Lake Ouachita in the Hot Springs area. I have come very close to doing it a few times but in the end figure it would be more trouble than it is worth.

Cit Phil Cit
02-27-2009, 10:52 AM
I've always lived in Toronto, and it's great. I live in a condo right next to the west-most subway station (which makes it pretty bloody convenient, at my doorstep) and I have nice view of the Toronto skyline - for the time being, before they build the new tower.

By car and subway, within 25 minutes is pretty much everything you'd want.

I like Toronto for any number of reasons.

Cit Phil Cit
02-27-2009, 10:59 AM
I love where I live. Mrs The Squid and I live in a town called Maidenhead, 25 miles West of London, and are in an old converted stables, in the grounds of a town house that is used as offices for a management consultancy firm. It's a gated property, away from main roads, and on weekday evenings and weekends we have the grounds to ourselves.

My sister is living in Birmingham now, having previously resided in Clevedon, outside of Bristol. Which is interesting for me, since she's only lived in the UK for 2 years.

Troggles
02-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Middle of Iowa. Pretty in the spring and summer. Gorgeous in the fall. Shitty in the winter.

But it's cheap living; great, friendly people everywhere; and low crime.

Same here. Another bonus is that when I go to a midnight release for games there's usually only 50 people max so we get it, get our game, and get out in good time.

Johan
02-27-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm earning my living teaching English (ESL).

I did the same in Korea for three years. It's a great experience; meeting terrific people, traveling the world, and doing things most people will never have the chance to do!

I loved it.

biosc1
02-27-2009, 11:29 AM
For a city of 15,000 there's a huge amount of bums. For every cool, hitchhiking guitar player or aerial goggles dude that gives away free handmade jewelry there's 5 pathetic looking bums spilling trash and sleeping in the streets.

Wait, what? I think you've lived in too nice of a place if you think the homeless do much else other than be homeless asking for change or the odd busker. Though I will say the homeless in Seattle creeped me out. I actually got attitude from people when I'd say I have no change for them ("Fuck you asshole." Versus the Toronto homeless "Oh well, have a nice day!").

You want a "homeless" issue? Come to Vancouver. Mildest climate in Canada means that we have a lot of folk come from out east. Add that to our rampant drug problems...and it's not quite paradise. Of course, that's only usually in certain parts of the town and for the most part they are all friendly.

For many years, I've heard about Seattle tackling the homeless issue. When I went there last year and this year, all I've seen are really aggressive people. It helps being over 6 feet, but I don't like having to walk around with an "imposing" face just to avoid getting hassled. Both Vancouver and Seattle have street people with mental health issues...it just feels like there is a greater amount in Seattle.

Overall, though, there's nothing better than living in an area that has snowy mountains and water steps away from each other. Just the other weekend, we went snowshoeing in the morning and then had lunch on a sunny patio by the water. You really can't beat that.

If you like green, this is the place to be. Of course, to get this green means that there is a lot of rain...so don't be one of those S.A.D. people or you will not cut it up in the North West ;)

On occasion, we do have a fog issue:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/4523/clipboard8.jpg
http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/545/clipboard9.jpg

Karak
02-27-2009, 11:42 AM
It's not too exciting but I was working in IT for 6 years until I got fed up with it. Came here looking for a change and haven't looked back. I'm earning my living teaching English (ESL).

I am very very jealous. I was " " this close to freaking moving there and decided against it at the last moment. I regret that horribly. I would so love to do that.
And no...not just for the women.:)

ClannerDelta
02-27-2009, 11:42 AM
I've only ever lived in Alaska. Spent long stretches of time visiting relatives in Colorado and Florida, but I can't possibly stand either of those places.

Fairbanks is filled with bums and drunks, suffers from some pretty serious racial divides, and generally looks fucking ugly.

On the other hand I live far outside the town. The town is also pretty stunning to look at at night, so it has that going for it. The scenery and wildlife are simply amazing though. Being able to hike into the woods on any given day and just enjoy yourself is something I couldn't give up.

The people are alright. They are either great and friendly or complete assholes. Not much range. Too many smokers too. Always clusterfucking the doorways in the -40 weather. The constant darkness during the winter really messes with people. A disturbing melancholy sets in around December/January, something to always keep in mind before moving far north.

All told, it's better than Florida. Fuck that place.

spcialk
02-27-2009, 12:52 PM
I've lived in Seattle my whole life. I can think of very few reasons to ever move from this city. It's large, but not stupid large like Chicago or (god help me LA), and I can be in the mountains in an hour, on the water in 10 minutes (either lake or ocean). I can back pack, have awesome internet, great eateries and fantastic events (PAX!!!).

I spent a few years working for the airline trying to find a place I liked better, even spent a couple months living in Greece just for kicks. I always gravitate back towards this city. I live downtown, I work downtown, and i wouldn't have it any other way.

Bad Buddha
02-27-2009, 12:57 PM
I've lived in the Seattle/Tacoma area all my life and I love it!

I grew up in Tacoma in the 50's and 60's. Moved up to The Eastside (Bellevue, Redmond) area around 1968. Lived in different places around the area when I was out of college and working. When I got married in 1983, my wife and I had an apartment about 3 blocks from Greenlake in North Seattle. Nice place for taking the stroller out when our first daughter was born. Also 2 blocks away from the main BMW motorcycle dealer in the Seattle area at the time!

We've bought two houses in the north suburbs since then. We've lived in our current home for about 16 years. Nice wooded lot, shopping and bus service nearby and I only have to ride for about 20 minutes to be out in the woods.

Aside from the rain, I love the area! Puget Sound to the west, the Cascade Mountains to the east. Cross Puget Sound and you're in the Olympic Rainforest and at the Pacific coast. Cross the mountains and you're in the desert scrub of Eastern Washington. This place has everything!

I was able to dig out this pic of our house. My daughter and I were getting ready to ride to a local motorcycle rally. It's early morning and a little dark; the trees cut out a lot of light, too. The house is kind of a Frank Lloyd Wright kind of rambler - Lots of floor-to-ceiling glass.

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2300/housenbike006.jpg

Alatheia
02-27-2009, 01:22 PM
The girls here are...strange as well. Nice, some are pretty but a good 80% have more armpit and leg hair then I could grow. I actually tripped and almost fell down in surprise(true story)when my boss waved me over to her desk one day and a giant sleeve of unshaven armpit hair flicked out like the head of Garry Ganew.

Part of the reason for the hair is the rain. A lot of the other girls in the PNW that I know only shave when it's nice enough outside to actually wear shorts, so for about two months a year. The rest of the time they just let their hair grow. Sometimes it gets to a point where you think "wtf, just leave it, too much hassle to get rid of it".

What I really want to do is live on a boat. Even if it is on Lake Degray or Lake Ouachita in the Hot Springs area. I have come very close to doing it a few times but in the end figure it would be more trouble than it is worth.

In Seattle, on Lake Union, there are tons of house boats. It's an interesting experience when it's windy. I'm sure there are quite a few of them that are rent-able for a week if you wanted to try a houseboat out.
Houseboat pictures:
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1381/979168703_0045925e9c.jpg?v=0 http://k53.pbase.com/o6/96/635896/1/80788684.GibpdjYl.houseboats2Standardemailview.jpg

I've lived in the greater Seattle area my whole life. I love the green, the rain, and the hills. I really love driving back home from Eastern Washington and watching the landscape change so drastically (Eastern Washington is a desert). I like being within easy driving distance of the city and everything I could possibly need but I'd rather be in a city. When/if I move out of the greater Seattle area it'll be to a place that has all four seasons.

How funny is it that three of the Seattlites posted in a row? :-p

tombofsoldier
02-27-2009, 02:45 PM

Like I said, the town can be fairly interesting on the rare occasion. Most of them time it's just your normal bums, but every once in a while I'll meet some weird guy that's genuinely kind of cool.

LongStepMantis
02-27-2009, 02:58 PM
Hah, sorry mate, I've never actually seen one. Probably the strangest vending machine I've seen in Japan is a battery vending machine. But batteries aren't particularly erotic unless you put them in the right device.

Btw, here are some photos of my area, in spoiler tags so not to clog up the thread :).

...Will you adopt me? :p
That scenery is how I picture the place I always wanted to live, but gave up on long ago because I doubted its existence.

Looking out my window after seeing that...literally makes me want to cry. Run down houses, trash in the road, rusted out cars...This place fucking sucks.

Wasson_
02-27-2009, 04:06 PM
...I think Squidbot wins this thread pretty heartily. Ultra-British Brick cottage, 5 minutes from the Thames? Awesome.

But I'll still take the Platte over the Thames. :P

I'm saddened that I seem to have no pictures on this computer of my home...I thought I moved those files onto here. :(

tombofsoldier
02-27-2009, 04:35 PM
http://www.fastframenapa.com/images/NapaValleyVineyardBalloonsFallnobubblessmall_edite d-2.jpg
https://academics.skidmore.edu/weblogs/students/hmoore/napa_valley.jpg
http://fc62.deviantart.com/fs29/i/2008/110/e/4/Slow_River_by_Tombofsoldier.jpg
http://fc08.deviantart.com/fs30/i/2008/131/7/4/Jumble_by_Tombofsoldier.jpg
Edit- Napa, might as well use some pictures I took myself (the last two)
...I think Squidbot wins this thread pretty heartily. Ultra-British Brick cottage, 5 minutes from the Thames? Awesome.

Ha ha, I agree. Your place is awesomely British Squidbot! Combining awesome and British... for some word, and adjective that hasn't been invented yet.

Karak
02-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Part of the reason for the hair is the rain. A lot of the other girls in the PNW that I know only shave when it's nice enough outside to actually wear shorts, so for about two months a year. The rest of the time they just let their hair grow. Sometimes it gets to a point where you think "wtf, just leave it, too much hassle to get rid of it".

I have never, and all but a couple of my friends are girls, heard this excuse. Which I find even worse than say, the excuse that they are born that way. I have already heard
"A man needs to like me like I am"
"A guy will love me any way"
"Razors kill the enviroment"
"No one has ever been bothered by it before"

Chris_D
02-27-2009, 05:02 PM
I did the same in Korea for three years. It's a great experience; meeting terrific people, traveling the world, and doing things most people will never have the chance to do!

I loved it.

I'm up on 3 years now and I don't want it to end. Hopefully it doesn't have to. The worst part of this job is maintaining self-esteem. Your co-workers and some management will try to bring it down, but as long as I'm doing the best job I can...

Chris_D
02-27-2009, 05:05 PM
I am very very jealous. I was " " this close to freaking moving there and decided against it at the last moment. I regret that horribly. I would so love to do that.
And no...not just for the women.:)

Cmon, the women are more than reason enough ;). Actually, I'm really enjoying the lifestyle as well. Even though I took a pay cut to come here I feel like my living standards have improved. Part of that is having such a good transport system allows me to get anywhere I want easily without a car. Before, I had to have a car to go anywhere on the weekend. Now I can enjoy touring and sightseeing on my days off. Helps that I quit my DVD addiction. Of course, the food is fantastic and dining out is usually pretty cheap.

Chris_D
02-27-2009, 05:10 PM
...Will you adopt me? :p
That scenery is how I picture the place I always wanted to live, but gave up on long ago because I doubted its existence.

Looking out my window after seeing that...literally makes me want to cry. Run down houses, trash in the road, rusted out cars...This place fucking sucks.

Well companies have mostly stopped hiring for now, but maybe in a year? At the least, this industry seems safer than some others in Japan (like the car industry), that's what I'm hoping anyway.

Not sure even adoption would get you a visa :p.

Btw, there are crappy places to live in Japan too. A lot of co workers live in this dingy area close to the center of Osaka. There are lots of adult clubs, it smells.. also I ran into a dead body at the station there once (just a poor homeless guy who had expired). Another teacher told me they found a dead body in a dumpster. And yet another teacher told me this fairly horrible story about a man who followed her to her apartment and even came inside. Apparently, after that he would often return and ejaculate on her door.

Surprisingly, most teachers seem happy there, I think they like being close to the bars etc. so they can stumble home in the early hours. My ex lived there so I've been there way too often :).

Chris_D
02-27-2009, 05:13 PM
I have never, and all but a couple of my friends are girls, heard this excuse. Which I find even worse than say, the excuse that they are born that way. I have already heard

Heh.. those are pretty funny :). It doesn't seem to be a problem in Japan. I've asked my girlfriend a couple of times if she shaves her armpit hair and she assures me she never does. Still, she's almost bare there.

LongStepMantis
02-27-2009, 05:28 PM
Well companies have mostly stopped hiring for now, but maybe in a year? At the least, this industry seems safer than some others in Japan (like the car industry), that's what I'm hoping anyway.

Not sure even adoption would get you a visa :p.

Btw, there are crappy places to live in Japan too. A lot of co workers live in this dingy area close to the center of Osaka. There are lots of adult clubs, it smells.. also I ran into a dead body at the station there once (just a poor homeless guy who had expired). Another teacher told me they found a dead body in a dumpster. And yet another teacher told me this fairly horrible story about a man who followed her to her apartment and even came inside. Apparently, after that he would often return and ejaculate on her door.

Surprisingly, most teachers seem happy there, I think they like being close to the bars etc. so they can stumble home in the early hours. My ex lived there so I've been there way too often :).

I don't doubt that all of Japan isn't rainbows and unicorns. As far as the weird and/or sexually depraved stuff...it is Japan. ;)

Your area is beautiful though. There are picturesque places out there all over the world, the hard part is finding them...if they were easy to find, everyone would be there. My current situation isn't permanent, I'm just eager to get the hell out of here. Not sure where I'll go, but I'm keeping places like yours in mind for the meantime.

I would be on the way to Canada already but my wife hates cold weather and wants to move somewhere more southerly and warm. Such cruel fate. :D

torrefaction
02-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Most of the places I lived where as a kid, outside of Florida.

Was born in Texas, and I still love it there. Cheap land, great people. Austin is in my top 3 places to move.

Lived in Cali for 6 months as a kid. Really pretty, but the type of people that are out there are probably not for me, mostly. It really seems like just another Florida.

Oklahoma is ugly, and so are the people.

I live just north of Fort Lauderdale. I hate it down here, really. The weather is mostly alright, though I'm more of a fan of dry heat than humidity so it kills me. The people are obnoxious down here, the music scene sucks (All dance and hip-hop. A rock scene has started to reemerge though.), big acts rarely come down here, it's heavily over-priced, the wages suck, the restaurants are relatively redeeming...but I've been somewhere much better.

Seattle. As of right now, this is my dream city. I spent a week there, and it felt like home. It was beautiful, there was nature so close, the restaurants where awesome and reasonably priced, all the people rocked...

I can think of nothing I disliked about Seattle. I'm also weird in that I'm kind of a fan of chilly, overcast, and rainy days...so most people's complaints about Seattle are out the window. Did some hiking in the rainforest outside of Port Townsend too, and that was just a beautiful, beautiful hike.

Alatheia
02-27-2009, 06:20 PM

What I said was basically the nice way of saying "too lazy" or "not worth it for one day every other week" :p

pomeroy
02-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Oklahoma is ugly, and so are the people.

Bwahahahaha. Nice.

crazyD
02-27-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm living in San Diego, and I like it. Nice weather, cool scenery, friendly people. I lived in Maryland for most of my life, and it was pretty much the opposite. I went back to visit last month, and I was surprised at how brown and ugly everything was. Until it started snowing, and that was nice.

Jeffool
02-27-2009, 07:21 PM
I live in Albany Georgia, and have been in the area for all but two years of my life, and I'm currently looking for TV news work in a larger market to get away from here. I don't know why, but I just can't operate well here. I see people like me with bunches of friends, hanging out, doing their thing, but I just can't enjoy myself here. It's like a nice suit that fits poorly.

Conversely, Orlando, where I spent two years, was great. Not that the town itself was so much better than anything else, but I felt much more comfortable around the people. As it's such a larger city, the nerd factor is what really did it, I've no doubt. In Orlando I can run into people at Denny's at 3am quoting Lewis Black. In Albany, nothing's open at 3am. In Orlando, I could log into IRC and talk to people in the neighborhood (found a lady-friend that way.) Finding anyone local who's "like me" is fucking impossible, it seems. (Well, not entirely true. Lately I found a few folk on Twitter.)

It all boils down to "more people = more people like me." It's not rocket science. Add in that the worst neighborhood I could find there seemed, well, not so bad... And that (apparently) women in Florida have lower standards... It was just a good time.

Though, this sounds like bliss:Seattle. As of right now, this is my dream city. I spent a week there, and it felt like home. It was beautiful, there was nature so close, the restaurants where awesome and reasonably priced, all the people rocked...

I can think of nothing I disliked about Seattle. I'm also weird in that I'm kind of a fan of chilly, overcast, and rainy days...so most people's complaints about Seattle are out the window. Did some hiking in the rainforest outside of Port Townsend too, and that was just a beautiful, beautiful hike.Also, spent a week in San Diego back when (Comicon 2004.) Instantly fell in love with it. It may've been the higher geek quotient because of the Con, but I must agree with CrazyD's quick summary: "Good people, nice city atmosphere." But then again, I didn't leave the ('downtown', I assume?) area of the Con and my hotel.

Whunpo
02-27-2009, 08:00 PM
I've lived in Oregon my whole life, and I love it. I LOVE the weather here, and it's the most beautiful area I've ever seen. Even the deserts to the east are absolutely incredible. The people are interesting, and I find it just as much of a good thing as a bad thing. Sometimes I really hate the crazy hippies, sometimes I really love them. However, I live in the northern area, which is much more conservative and religious than the rest of Eugene. I hate northern Eugene with a passion. Bores me to tears. However, one of the nice things of living in such a small town is that I can be all the way across town in 20 minutes.
I used to live in Portland, and while there are some parts that I miss dearly (a decent urban area for one), I probably prefer Eugene.

Wolvie
02-27-2009, 08:11 PM
@ torrefaction:

I hate Oklahoma, but not because of the scenery or the people. It's because whoever designed Oklahoma cities highways was a friggin sadist. I got lost and had to call my brother so he could help me. And even after that I had to stop for directions to get back on track.
Fuck that city, it's the biggest cluster-fuck ever.

Purple Santa
02-27-2009, 09:32 PM
You just described what it's like to live in NYC :p
I live in New Jersey... I know, it sucks.

But do you live in a part of NJ where you can view drug deals, gun exchanges and hear gun shots nightly? Now that is NJ living...

Karak
02-27-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm up on 3 years now and I don't want it to end. Hopefully it doesn't have to. The worst part of this job is maintaining self-esteem. Your co-workers and some management will try to bring it down, but as long as I'm doing the best job I can...

That sounds...not so fing cool. I wonder why that is. You would think in that industry people would be trying to help and better their coworkers not cause them issues. I will never understand some people.
As for your other response concerning the girls. Ya its true, 98% of the reason for me to go there would be that. I wont deny that I am crazy attracted to asians. I have been and mostly due to living and working near so many, then martial arts and all the people I met. I guess it just feels nature to me.
It sounds like its working out for you, and hang in there, people trying to bring you down just suck anyway.

PathMaster
02-27-2009, 10:44 PM
Live in the Adirondacks currently, it is amazing being able to come off the mountain every day and see Vermont across Lake Champlain, and my town nestled in a little valley below the hill. This is my hometown and I truly love living here, but there is no way I can make a life here. Biggest news in the town of late? Lowe's just opened today! (I work there.) The town has no other stores beyond Wal-mart. In order to find any shopping areas or even theaters I need to travel an hour.

I used to live in Albany and I loved living in an area with tons of people and constantly being able to have something to do.

Thanasimos
02-27-2009, 11:28 PM
Spent my first fifteen years in Lake Los Angeles, CA. It's a shitty little barrio isolated by fifteen miles of desert and occasionally by impromptu rivers during El Nino seasons. Big meth problem. I lived on a relatively nice street (still not a great place...) right on the edge of the desert with a lot of buttes in the immediate vicinity.

That's what I miss: living right on the edge of the desert, and the buttes, because I spent so much time out hiking and clambering up big rock formations as a child -- formative experiences for formative years or what have you.

So then I moved to nearby Palmdale. It was a real step up. That was about two and a half years ago now. Well, I was closer to my high school by twenty miles. The atmosphere was much the same, though. Slow area, crime, drugs, and a lot of people going nowhere in particular. The smartest kid in my graduating class currently attends community college. Still have to go to LA to have any real fun.

Well, about six months ago, I moved to the Albany area for school. Troy, NY. And to be frank, Troy feels about the same as Palmdale, with two major exceptions: Troy has a live music scene. That'd be better if I had any means of getting to venues outside of walking distance, (public transportation here is only good enough to get me to walmart, sadly), but eventually I'll make friends with cars and similar interests (or *gasp* get a car).

It's still too slow for me. When I'm out of school, I'll be shooting for LA proper or NYC. I love big cities, so I might as well go for the biggest.

resikel
02-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Three hours a day, I live here, LA traffic:

http://www.impacts.jp/en/common/img/los_angeles.jpg

Dorkandproudofit
02-28-2009, 02:04 AM
I live in Franklin, Tennessee. It's just south of Nashville.

And I've gotten bored here. I'm planning on moving in with one of you guys. Expect me at your doorstep in about a week.

Just in case some of you are confused, this is a joke.

Chris_D
02-28-2009, 03:14 AM
That sounds...not so fing cool. I wonder why that is. You would think in that industry people would be trying to help and better their coworkers not cause them issues. I will never understand some people.
As for your other response concerning the girls. Ya its true, 98% of the reason for me to go there would be that. I wont deny that I am crazy attracted to asians. I have been and mostly due to living and working near so many, then martial arts and all the people I met. I guess it just feels nature to me.
It sounds like its working out for you, and hang in there, people trying to bring you down just suck anyway.

Well it's difficult to explain. Firstly, English teaching jobs often don't require any qualifications beyond being a native speaker of English. A degree is usually required but this can be any degree as it's only for visa purposes. And, I think it's possible to do the job regardless of how much experience or skill you have. This is different to say being a surgeon where no one's going to be putting a scalpel in your hand unless you have all the relevant background and training. Of course, how well you're actually doing the job (teaching) is another thing entirely. I like to think I'm doing a pretty good job in most cases, and I know for sure that I've improved my technique over the 3 years.

The other thing is the types of teachers you work with. One type is the fresh college graduate who signed up to spend a year holidaying overseas and is shocked when they find out they have to actually work to collect the monthly pay cheque. Another type, is the "over stayed their welcome" teacher. They enjoyed it at first, got addicted to the lifestyle, but then got sick of it. However, they've realised they have almost no marketable skills or qualifications to find a job back home (maybe they have an arts degree) especially in the current climate. So they end up kind of trapped (in their mind). Naturally, they are depressed and complain about every little thing.

Being round these types of people when you are trying to enjoy your work, be positive, and do a good job can be pretty tiring.

Karak
02-28-2009, 03:22 AM
Being round these types of people when you are trying to enjoy your work, be positive, and do a good job can be pretty tiring.
That does suck. My only outlet would be humping on a large number of amazing asian girls, but each to their own:)

Chris_D
02-28-2009, 03:25 AM

I've occasionally wondered why Japanese women seem so attractive as a rule. There are a few things that come to mind. Note these are all generalisations.

- Their skin. They take better care of their skin, spend more on skin products, wear more makeup in a more stylish way. Also, compared to Australian women, there's no ozone hole in Japan, so you don't see the premature aging caused by UV that Australian women get. Japanese women are also fanatical about protecting themselves against the sun (white skin is considered an ideal by most) to the point of carrying parasols, wearing long gloves, big hats etc.

- Their fashion. Sorry ladies, Japanese women are just more fashionable. They wear a mix of the coolest western stuff with plenty of oriental influences. They spend a long time styling their hair just the way they want it. It freaked me out at first, but I soon got used to sexy 50 year olds wearing tight skirts, revealing tops, and tall boots.

- Their shape. As long as you don't hate skinny women you'll be in luck. It's slowly changing, but still only a tiny proportion of Japanese women would be considered overweight by western standards. As for those women that Japanese men consider "fat", well they're usually right up my alley.

Karak
02-28-2009, 03:52 AM
I've occasionally wondered why Japanese women seem so attractive as a rule. There are a few things that come to mind. Note these are all generalisations.

- Their skin. They take better care of their skin, spend more on skin products, wear more makeup in a more stylish way. Also, compared to Australian women, there's no ozone hole in Japan, so you don't see the premature aging caused by UV that Australian women get. Japanese women are also fanatical about protecting themselves against the sun (white skin is considered an ideal by most) to the point of carrying parasols, wearing long gloves, big hats etc.

- Their fashion. Sorry ladies, Japanese women are just more fashionable. They wear a mix of the coolest western stuff with plenty of oriental influences. They spend a long time styling their hair just the way they want it. It freaked me out at first, but I soon got used to sexy 50 year olds wearing tight skirts, revealing tops, and tall boots.

- Their shape. As long as you don't hate skinny women you'll be in luck. It's slowly changing, but still only a tiny proportion of Japanese women would be considered overweight by western standards. As for those women that Japanese men consider "fat", well they're usually right up my alley.

Yes
Yes
and MOAR! Ha
Most of those are right...at least for me.

Purple Santa
02-28-2009, 04:59 AM
Asian porn....FTW!

Chris_D
02-28-2009, 05:06 AM
That's where I learnt all my best Japanese! (OK not quite)

Purple Santa
02-28-2009, 09:25 AM
That's where I learnt all my best Japanese! (OK not quite)

Maybe some of your best pick up lines too ;)

wyeast
02-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Three hours a day, I live here, LA traffic:
Only three hours a day? You're lucky - you must live only a few miles from work. ;) (I can sympathize tho'. I once nearly went into a homicidal rage spending 3 1/2 hours trying to get cross town after work to some show in Pasadena :mad:)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Wyeast/portland/IMG_0400.jpg
Even living in Cali, NM, Chicago, or Korea - I knew I'd come back someday.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Wyeast/portland/IMG_0389.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Wyeast/portland/IMG_1224.jpg
Some days I'm lucky enough to have this as part of my drive home.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Wyeast/portland/IMG_1584.jpg
Yeah, doggy. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Wyeast/portland/multnomah_fallssized.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Wyeast/portland/IMG_1189.jpg
Glacier-fed water. All day long. :eek:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Wyeast/portland/44Alargetranquilitygarden.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Wyeast/portland/Clipboard01.jpg
Powell's City of Books. This is only part of the store. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Wyeast/portland/IMG_0998.jpg

Camel
02-28-2009, 10:38 AM
I used to live in Pittsburgh, PA, and will ALWAYS consider it my home. Pittsburgh is the type of city that visitors tend to dislike/be indifferent about, but for those of us who grew up there it's the greatest place ever. It's not exactly the most exciting place in the world, but it's got a ton to offer.

http://www.nrcdxas.org/convention/08nrccon/Pittsburgh_skyline_daytime.jpg

Now I live in Charlottesville, VA (for the second time...I love my brief stay here so much that I got a job in the area and moved back). It's completely different, but still awesome. It's a strange hippyish town, but since it's a college town there are tons of things to do (and eat). Charlottesville residents seem to put a huge emphasis on healthy living (lots of vegetable and exercise), where Pittsburgh people tend to be more about beer and vegetables only if they are covered in cheese. Charlottesville also has a much more diverse population (lots of Chinese and Indian people near the hospital area, lots of Hispanic people in little pockets all over the place). Pittsburgh was pretty much just black and white.

MagGnome
02-28-2009, 07:58 PM
I miss my home in Nebraska.

Eesh, really?

but right now I'm in Grand Forks North Dakota.

Oh, now it makes sense. :p

I grew up in Nebraska. I lived in a town of about 30,000 people in the central part of the state for the first 19 years of my life. I never felt like I fit in - being both gay and socially liberal, neither of which has much of a place in Nebraska. I grew up in a mostly white community, where people who didn't look or act the same as everyone else were regarded with suspicion and contempt. I couldn't wait to get out of there, and at 19 I moved to Lincoln for college. I encountered different problems at the university, but still I made a lot of friends and generally had a good time. Lincoln is probably the nicest part of the state, by far. Some people prefer Omaha, but I'm not one of them.

Anyway, after three years of college I took a "break" and moved to Minnesota, for various reasons. I've lived here for a little over three years now, first in the suburbs, and then in the heart of Minneapolis for the last two and a half years. I love living in the city, but it still feels a little too small to me at times. I'd never consider going back to Nebraska, but I don't really want to stay here either. I'd like to move somewhere else within the next five years - possibly Chicago or Seattle. The winters here are just brutal, and I'm positive that I don't want to be around for many more of them. I have pretty sensitive skin, and in the winter my hands are brutalized, becoming very cracked and dry. Not to mention that month after month of cold weather and snow leads to cabin fever and low spirits.

Still, there are a lot of great things about living here, especially in the spring and summer, when there is a lot of greenery. I love going on walks by the river or around the lakes and parks. I haven't made many close friends here, which is unfortunate, but I can't see leaving until the economy improves and I have more money tucked away.

Edit - I will say that there is one thing I miss about Nebraska, and that is being able to see the stars. The city has way too much light pollution.

Whunpo
02-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Only three hours a day? You're lucky - you must live only a few miles from work. ;) (I can sympathize tho'. I once nearly went into a homicidal rage spending 3 1/2 hours trying to get cross town after work to some show in Pasadena :mad:)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Wyeast/portland/IMG_0400.jpg
Even living in Cali, NM, Chicago, or Korea - I knew I'd come back someday.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Wyeast/portland/IMG_0389.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Wyeast/portland/IMG_1224.jpg
Some days I'm lucky enough to have this as part of my drive home.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Wyeast/portland/IMG_1584.jpg
Yeah, doggy. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Wyeast/portland/multnomah_fallssized.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Wyeast/portland/IMG_1189.jpg
Glacier-fed water. All day long. :eek:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Wyeast/portland/44Alargetranquilitygarden.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Wyeast/portland/Clipboard01.jpg
Powell's City of Books. This is only part of the store. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v223/Wyeast/portland/IMG_0998.jpg

God damn Portland is beautiful. I have to say I was rather impressed with myself, as I could tell tell exactly where each of those photos were taken (yes, I even think I know where that road is). I was even able to point out my home in that last picture of yours.

Epix
02-28-2009, 09:58 PM
I grew up in Vancouver and didn't realize how much I actually loved it until I moved to Edmonton for school. I hate Edmonton so much. For more than half the year I don't want to go outside because it's either too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter. Luckily this is my last winter in Edmonton. Hopefully I will be someplace nicer next year. I also don't like that the downtown core is tiny and closes at like 6 everyday. There is just not enough people living downtown because the city has spread outwards to much.

wyeast
03-01-2009, 08:57 AM
I was even able to point out my home in that last picture of yours.
Snap. I've been found out for stalking you. :o

Mr. Murphy
03-01-2009, 09:01 AM
I lived in Maine until last march, and my whole life my parents tried to convince me that life was better somewhere else and I'd be a loser if I stayed in Maine. I finally moved down here to Providence, RI. last march to be with my girlfriend, and this entire last year has taught me something rather important: I LOVE Maine. There's noplace else I'd rather be or want to live.

Unfortunately the little lady has a very unique and awesome job down here in Mass. that I wouldn't ever ask her to pull herself away from, so until we find a job for her in Maine that is equally awesome, I'm stuck here.

God I hate this city.

Kelegacy
03-01-2009, 10:01 AM
I lived in Maine until last march, and my whole life my parents tried to convince me that life was better somewhere else and I'd be a loser if I stayed in Maine. I finally moved down here to Providence, RI. last march to be with my girlfriend, and this entire last year has taught me something rather important: I LOVE Maine. There's noplace else I'd rather be or want to live.

Unfortunately the little lady has a very unique and awesome job down here in Mass. that I wouldn't ever ask her to pull herself away from, so until we find a job for her in Maine that is equally awesome, I'm stuck here.

God I hate this city.

Maine rocks. I think the love of New England is probably the same feeling that people from Washington and Oregon feel. Our states are much alike in some ways.

Mr. Murphy
03-01-2009, 10:13 AM
Maine rocks. I think the love of New England is probably the same feeling that people from Washington and Oregon feel. Our states are much alike in some ways.

I wouldn't be at all surprised, I've always wanted to visit the northwest. I bet it's a lot like Maine - beautiful.

Portland (Maine) is a big enough city that there's an awesome local music and art scene and a lot to do, but small enough that you can go walking around at 3 am and not worry about getting mugged or raped. I miss the countryside, and I miss my friends and family - I'm lucky enough to have a pretty huge circle of friends, and I don't know what ever possessed me to think that moving away from them was a good idea. Most people are lucky to have one or two close friends, and I moved away from over a dozen. WTF.

MagGnome
03-01-2009, 01:28 PM
I grew up in Vancouver and didn't realize how much I actually loved it until I moved to Edmonton for school. I hate Edmonton so much. For more than half the year I don't want to go outside because it's either too hot in the summer or too cold in the winter. Luckily this is my last winter in Edmonton. Hopefully I will be someplace nicer next year. I also don't like that the downtown core is tiny and closes at like 6 everyday. There is just not enough people living downtown because the city has spread outwards to much.

Minneapolis has a similar problem. 160,000 people commute to Downtown every day, then drive right back to the suburbs after work. There are lots of shops and restaurants, but it can be a ghost town, especially on the weekends. Visiting Chicago really opened my eyes to what a city can be like. The only downside to Chi town is the smell. :p

After reading through this whole thread I've realized that I hate Minnesota, so expect me at your door step soon.

Unlike DorkandProudofIt, I'm not kidding.

Serapth
03-01-2009, 02:11 PM
I have loved in:

London Ontario, beautiful but full of itself.

Etobicoke (Toronto burb ), Ontario. Shithole, but then I find Toronto highly overrated.
Dallas, Texas. Parts are absolutely beatuiful, parts are scary as hell. Only lived there for a summer and frankly would never consider going back.

Montreal, Quebec. In a word, an awesome city. The economy is in the dump and some of the people are rude as fuck, but on the whole this place is great. I lived there in my low twenties and frankly I cant think of a better age to live there. Now that I am married with children, it doesnt have quite as much appeal.

I currently live just outside of London ( Ontario ). Here is a shot of my house as of two days ago. Not quite as bleak and dreary as it looks in the picture, but lets face it, this part of the world ( upper US, southern Canada ) sucks serious ass in February.

http://www.return42.com/GetImage.ashx?id=139

MagGnome
03-01-2009, 02:58 PM
That's a cute house Serapth. Not super-giant-omg-humongous, which is a good thing IMHO.

Everyone vs Dinosaurs
03-01-2009, 03:00 PM
I like the bricks, and the car!

What is your line of work, Serapath?

Serapth
03-01-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks both of you. What I actually like about the house and neighbourhood is there is a pretty good amount of trees remaining, infact the "lot" across the way from my is dedicated woodland, with plans to develop hiking trails, etc... It looks amazing in the spring when the trees start to bloom. I agree Mag, something to be said for a cozier sized house. Really, its just three of us, we don't need a 5000 sq/ft mansion. I do wish the lot was bigger though, thats the one shitty thing about suburb living, atleast in these parts... the space between houses is getting smaller and smaller.

That said, I hate cutting grass.

To EvD, I was the lead developer at an auto industry company up till a few months after my daughter was born. Then my wife went back to work, I quit my job and started working as an entrepreneur. I am actually about a month from a beta release, in fact I am kinda hoping I can shill my service here when its time for beta. ;)

Alatheia
03-01-2009, 03:37 PM

The big difference between the Northeast and Northwest... in the Northwest we have only three seasons (sorta dry, wet, and really wet) and it is mostly green year round, in the Northeast you get four seasons with trees changing colors in one of them :eek:

wyeast
03-01-2009, 03:44 PM
Climate aside, we're both sorta the overlooked corners of the country. Nobody seems to care about us. :( (well... except the attorney general when he wanted to get all up in our grill about assisted suicide) :p

MagGnome
03-01-2009, 05:32 PM
The big difference between the Northeast and Northwest... in the Northwest we have only three seasons (sorta dry, wet, and really wet) and it is mostly green year round, in the Northeast you get four seasons with trees changing colors in one of them :eek:

What is winter like in the Northwest?

I am actually about a month from a beta release, in fact I am kinda hoping I can shill my service here when its time for beta. ;)

I don't know if we can allow that. :p

wyeast
03-01-2009, 08:40 PM

I don't know if we can allow that. :p

Varies depending on exactly where you are. Seattle tends to get more snow than we do. Portland tends to be one of two types of winter: Cold and dry, or warm (i.e. not freezing) and wet. Most of the time, if we get snow it's just a few inches. This year's been a little looney tunes.

MalReynolds
03-01-2009, 08:54 PM
Mount Pearl newfoundland is where i live beautiful little city ... just big enough to be called a city lol only bad thing here is the snow :(

MagGnome
03-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Varies depending on exactly where you are. Seattle tends to get more snow than we do. Portland tends to be one of two types of winter: Cold and dry, or warm (i.e. not freezing) and wet. Most of the time, if we get snow it's just a few inches. This year's been a little looney tunes.

That doesn't sound so bad. I'd like to move somewhere the air isn't bone dry in the winter. It's murder on my hands. I'm also tired of all the snow.

Not that I'll be moving anytime soon, but I have begun scouting locations, at least a little.

Thanasimos
03-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Oh, since pictures are popular, here's my current scenic view:

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/1580/troynyfall1.jpg
The Hudson is in that picture toward the middle, but not visible within the photo. However, the place I'll be living next year is. Until then, I'm a ten minute walk from that nice view.

At home, this is scenic: http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/3117/53425663desertpano1.jpg

Personally, I think the desert is more beautiful, although the novelty of real forestation has not worn out yet.
Of course, I did not take these photos. They're far too nice.

Heresyte
03-01-2009, 09:42 PM
Personally, I think the desert is more beautiful
But you posted the most misleading picture ever. This is more accurate:
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1820/190c1.jpg

I grew up there. It is terrible.

Now I live in Berkeley. It's nice. It would be better if there were less idiots but I guess that's unaviodable in a college town. It can be hard to sleep because there's so many people walking around at night laughing and screaming.

Also if the guys who think it's funny to run down the street at 3 in the morning and kick over all the trash cans would just get cancer and die I would appreciate it.

Thanasimos
03-01-2009, 09:52 PM
But you posted the most misleading picture ever. This is more accurate:
http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1820/190c1.jpg

I grew up there. It is terrible.

Now I live in Berkeley. It's nice. It would be better if there were less idiots but I guess that's unaviodable in a college town. It can be hard to sleep because there's so many people walking around at night laughing and screaming.

Also if the guys who think it's funny to run down the street at 3 in the morning and kick over all the trash cans would just get cancer and die I would appreciate it.
Hey, misleading? You did a pretty good job picking the view with the crappy weather. Otherwise, that photo has everything I grew up loving in LLA: Buttes, mountains on the horizon, and Joshua trees.

Heresyte
03-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Hey, misleading? You did a pretty good job picking the view with the crappy weather. Otherwise, that photo has everything I grew up loving in LLA: Buttes, mountains on the horizon, and Joshua trees.
Not shown: 400mph winds. And all the trees lying on the ground as a result.

Thanasimos
03-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Not shown: 400mph winds. And all the trees lying on the ground as a result.

Hah, yeah, I know the wind in the AV is terrible, but it's fine in the end. Better than the four months of snow up here. Seriously.

TheEpicOfTyler
03-01-2009, 11:11 PM
I currently and have always lived in rural Northern Illinois.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_93V2UPO4NYE/SJGxuXOhVMI/AAAAAAAAGX4/mouhBwmIL4s/P1090524.JPG

More specifically, right outside of the town of Dixon, Illinois, which is where Ronald Reagan grew up.

http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicv/vfiles11297.jpg

The highschool I attended looks like a castle.

http://www.dixonschools.org/images/school1.jpg

It's an alright place I guess. The general health and value of the place has gone down quite a bit in recent years. Drug dealers often come to small towns outside of big cities to make meth labs and such. There have been many busts in recent years.

It's conservative. I wish we would get more snow here. I would move up north for that alone, I absolutely love winter. The city spends way too much money on shit it doesn't need, like touristy type stuff. Nick Sheley (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,377261,00.html) started his killing spree about 20 minutes way from my house.

It's about an hour - hour and half from every place interesting, but we make do. I plan on moving to Chicago in the fall for school.

Alatheia
03-02-2009, 02:15 AM

typical season : Seattle season
spring : wet
summer: mostly dry
fall : wet
winter : really wet

We don't get much snow, snows a few times each winter, city proper shuts down each snow fall (too many hills) and it is usually gone by the next day *if* it even sticks. Every few years we have some fluke snow that stays for a few days, this winter was the worst since I was in 8th grade (winter of 1997/1998). Had so much I couldn't drive for a few days, the snow on the road was higher than the clearance on my Jetta. :eek:

This winter's issues were also compounded by the city not using salt or de-icer on the roads and sidewalks because of the salmon. Protect the fishes! <eye roll>

MagGnome
03-02-2009, 05:13 AM
typical season : Seattle season
spring : wet
summer: mostly dry
fall : wet
winter : really wet

We don't get much snow, snows a few times each winter, city proper shuts down each snow fall (too many hills) and it is usually gone by the next day *if* it even sticks. Every few years we have some fluke snow that stays for a few days, this winter was the worst since I was in 8th grade (winter of 1997/1998). Had so much I couldn't drive for a few days, the snow on the road was higher than the clearance on my Jetta. :eek:

This winter's issues were also compounded by the city not using salt or de-icer on the roads and sidewalks because of the salmon. Protect the fishes! <eye roll>

Sounds great! I'll let you know when to expect me. ;)

Alatheia
03-02-2009, 06:12 AM
Sounds great! I'll let you know when to expect me. ;)

Okie, we'll get an extra bed ready when you let me know! :D

torrefaction
03-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Damn Serapth...Can you even FIT between your neighbors houses?

Serapth
03-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Damn Serapth...Can you even FIT between your neighbors houses?

... sober I can.

Doctor Setebos
03-02-2009, 06:58 PM
Then my wife went back to work, I quit my job and started working as an entrepreneur. I am actually about a month from a beta release, in fact I am kinda hoping I can shill my service here when its time for beta. ;)So, is this the first secret project, or the second one you had told me about? Hope you got someone competent to do some graphic design for you. ;) Looking forward to the eventual shilling.

Slip me some cash and I might even front-page it for you. :D

MagGnome
03-02-2009, 07:38 PM
Okie, we'll get an extra bed ready when you let me know! :D

Awesome!

Maybe for PAX? :p

Slip me some cash and I'll shill it in my signature. That kind of prime real estate is hard to get these days. ;)

Doctor Setebos
03-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Slip me some cash and I'll shill it in my signature. That kind of prime real estate is hard to get these days. ;)As often as you post, I think your signature (collectively) probably gets more traffic than the CoG front page. ;)

Second only to my own profile page (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/member.php?u=233), of course. :D

Serapth
03-02-2009, 08:38 PM
So, is this the first secret project, or the second one you had told me about? Hope you got someone competent to do some graphic design for you. ;) Looking forward to the eventual shilling.

I have no cash, I am not working... no? :)

Its the second, I am VERY glad I didnt go with the first as that market got way too full and frankly, the second idea is much much better ;) That said, I am holding onto the domain ( and logo ), as frankly, I really rather love it... it grows on you..

Never found another artist, so
a) I have left all things graphical till right now...
b) I have had to learn how to make logos... I think ive done ok, but I am sure you would have done much much better! Nice thing about this idea is, really, most of its magic voodoo behind the scenes... not to much web presence.

MagGnome
03-03-2009, 12:52 AM
As often as you post, I think your signature (collectively) probably gets more traffic than the CoG front page. ;)

Second only to my own profile page (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/member.php?u=233), of course. :D

Yeah, I noticed that you've had a crazy number of profile visitors. I'm jealous. :p

My signature has been the same for months now. In fact, it hasn't changed much since the site began.

Doctor Setebos
03-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I noticed that you've had a crazy number of profile visitors. I'm jealous. :pWhat can I say? I'm universally loved. :D

Alatheia
03-03-2009, 12:43 PM
Awesome!

Maybe for PAX? :p

That wouldn't be very effective :p

The house is only 10 miles from the convention center but with parking the way it is (and drinking the way it is ;) ) I'll be at one of the hotels :eek:

MagGnome
03-03-2009, 05:38 PM
What can I say? I'm universally loved. :D

I guess so. :p

That wouldn't be very effective :p

The house is only 10 miles from the convention center but with parking the way it is (and drinking the way it is ;) ) I'll be at one of the hotels :eek:

I guess that won't work then! :p

Alatheia
03-03-2009, 09:48 PM
I guess that won't work then! :p

Unless you want to come a day early, or stay a day late :)

MagGnome
03-04-2009, 05:11 AM
Unless you want to come a day early, or stay a day late :)

I am coming down there Thursday through Monday. I got all of my time off approved last week! :D

Alatheia
03-04-2009, 10:38 AM
I am coming down there Thursday through Monday. I got all of my time off approved last week! :D

If you were ever on aim I'd so talk to you about that :p

Bad Buddha
03-04-2009, 10:49 AM
You'll have time to stop by the Pike Place Public Market and check out some of the local delicacies!

http://img371.imageshack.us/img371/34/geoduckdk7.jpg

Alatheia
03-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Ewww, Buddha, you had to post the goeduck?! :eek:

wyeast
03-04-2009, 10:53 AM
lol. Mags so needs a geoduck. :D

Alatheia
03-04-2009, 10:57 AM
Mags does not need one of them. They are icky, and mean!

wyeast
03-04-2009, 11:01 AM
But they're huge... and meaty :eek: :D

Alatheia
03-04-2009, 11:02 AM
They are disgusting. They spit, I've gotten squirted a few times and it isn't fun.

MagGnome
03-04-2009, 05:19 PM
They are disgusting. They spit, I've gotten squirted a few times and it isn't fun.

This could sooo be taken the wrong way. :p

I'm a vegetarian guys, so no geoduck for me. :p

torrefaction
03-04-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm seriously debating hitting PAX this year, for almost the sole reason of having an excuse to go back to Seattle.

Alatheia
03-04-2009, 05:41 PM
This could sooo be taken the wrong way. :p

That's why I said it like that :p

MagGnome
03-04-2009, 05:45 PM
That's why I said it like that :p

I figured as much.

I'm on AIM right now by the way...where are you? :p

Alatheia
03-04-2009, 08:00 PM
I figured as much.

I'm on AIM right now by the way...where are you? :p

Was working, now in class but aim is on :D

MagGnome
03-04-2009, 09:22 PM
Was working, now in class but aim is on :D

Well now I'm going to bed, so we'll have to chat another time. :(

I didn't even know you had added me to your AIM list, but I'm glad you did!

Alatheia
03-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Well now I'm going to bed, so we'll have to chat another time. :(

I didn't even know you had added me to your AIM list, but I'm glad you did!

I'm sneaky like that :p