PDA

View Full Version : Keurig Mini - My First Cup

rein
02-26-2009, 06:09 PM
http://www.suckshardcore.com/images/keurigminib30brewers.jpg

I ordered a Keurig Mini single cup coffee maker over the weekend and it arrived this morning (I went with the red one). Like any kid with a new toy I decided to open it immediately and give it a try.

My only other experience with a single cup coffee maker is using the Senseo brand pod systems. While they do an OK job I wanted expand my horizons and try something new.

The system is much smaller than the Senseo it is replacing. It also looks much nicer and the red was a good choice. It also came with 10 sample K-cups including (2) teas and (1) Hot Chocolate.

For my first cup I went with the Green Mountain Nantucket Blend. Making a cup of coffee in the Keurig Mini is easy enough. Push the big shiny button on top that says "push to open" and insert the K-cup. When you close the brewer the water reservoir door opens automatically. Pour 8 ounces of water into the water reservoir and place your mug in the brewer and hit brew. In less than 3 minutes, bingo, you have a fresh cup of coffee. My first cup wasn't bad and it didn't have the "burnt" taste my Senseo pods seemed to have. The coffee was a bit warmer than the Senseo also.

I also purchased a My K-Cup reusable filter. I have not tried it out yet but if it can retain the full flavor of my favorite coffee I will be very happy. I can see that ruining the convenience of the K-cup system but if the coffee is good, I'm not sure it will be any more inconvenient than using a larger coffee maker.

One of the other features of the brewer is that it turns itself on automatically when you open the brewer to insert a K-cup. This features is convenient unless you are only opening the brewer to remove a used K-cup or to clean the system. Then you have to turn the system off. I'm not sure that will be much of an issue since the K-cups are enclosed and very tidy. I can see where it will be an annoyance when using the reusable filter.

Over all, one cup in, I am pretty happy with the 79.99 appliance. It is very quiet and provides an option for tea and hot chocolate if the craving arrives.

Pros:
Cute
Very quiet
Does not leave water in the reservoir
Can brew your own coffee with the My K-Cup filter

Cons:
K-cups are more expensive than pods

Pro & Con
The water reservoir opening and the system turning itself on automatically are great features unless you are opening the system to clean it.

Johan
02-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Error 404: File Not Found.

The requested page is not found. This may happen due to the following reasons: Fail

Dammit! I came for coffee, and ended up with a cup filled with empty promises! Can I at LEAST get some damn sugar and cream? EH?

rein
02-26-2009, 06:39 PM
Error 404: File Not Found.

Dammit! I came for coffee, and ended up with a cup filled with empty promises! Can I at LEAST get some damn sugar and cream? EH?

My life has been full of fail all day. I can't even work the internets correctly.

Johan
02-26-2009, 06:53 PM
That's a hot looking machine! I'm interested...

Nuggsy
02-26-2009, 06:57 PM
. . .I thought this would be about that mini-keg thing made for those Heineken mini-kegs. I can't stand Heineken, but that thing looks worth it.

Sandman
02-26-2009, 07:01 PM
I use the standard Mr. Coffee, whats so special about this aside from it's one cup thing?

rein
02-26-2009, 07:11 PM
I use the standard Mr. Coffee, whats so special about this aside from it's one cup thing?

For me it is all about the one cup thing. During the week I don't drink enough coffee at home to make more than one cup at a time. On the weekends I usually pour some coffee out even when making a 4 cup pot. I wouldn't recommend a single cup coffee maker to anyone with more than one coffee drinker in the house. Two at most.

There is one more thing I like about the Keurig system vs the Senseo system. With the Senseo coffee maker you have to power it on and let the water warm-up before you can press the brew button. With this system, you hit brew and it will automatically start brewing when the water reaches the correct temperature. Pretty convenient not having to wait around that extra minute or two.

Sandman
02-26-2009, 08:04 PM
I'll sometimes poor out a cup of coffee but most times I'll finish the whole 4 cups in a couple hours of morning time.

Purple Santa
02-26-2009, 08:17 PM
ADDs mom got one for xmas. She loves it. I don't use it often but it's a great machine.

OldJadedGamer
02-27-2009, 02:23 AM
I have the Keurig B40 Elite:

http://www.amazon.com/Keurig-Gourmet-Single-Cup-Home-Brewing-System/dp/B000AQPMHA/ref=pd_bbs_sr_5?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1235722728&sr=8-5

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41yi6rTUKYL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I got it as a Christmas present not this last one but the one before and I pretty much use it every day. The k-cups are about 50 cents each and I have to use 2 of them each day to fill my commuter mug before I leave but that beats the $3.85 for my starbucks so I save some cash.

The best part of this thing is how fast it makes it. Takes about a minute tops and my lid is capped and I'm out of the door. Perfect one cup. It's SUPER fast. I've been super happy with mine so far and it's worked like a champ. I buy my k-cups through Amazon and have them shipped. It's just a pain that I can't buy them at any local store near me.

Congrats and hope this works out for you.

Inverarity
02-27-2009, 06:55 AM
Has anyone tried the "reusable" K-Cups? If I remember correctly, they're a metal filter assembly with the same form factor as the K-Cups - you can use any kind of ground coffee in them and clean them out afterwards.

I really like our Keurig brewer- I don't particularly care for coffee, but it's great for those times when I want a cup or we want to make coffee for guests. But sometimes we'll go months without using it, and the cups are (a bit) expensive and have expiration dates...it might be nice to keep some whole beans in the freezer and grind them as necessary.

Bingley Joe
02-27-2009, 08:33 AM
might be nice to keep some whole beans in the freezer and grind them as necessary.

:eek:

I realize you said you don't really drink much coffee, and so it's basically impossible for you to keep it fresh, but if you care about your coffee at all DON'T keep your coffee beans in the freezer or refrigerator.

The transition from to/from those places is one of the best ways to kill your whole beans. Possibly the best way (short of pre-grinding them, of course).

The only time it's OK (and it's really not ever OK) is if you're only going to put them in there ONCE after they're been packaged in completely air-tight containers for long-term storage (and preferably only if the beans haven't been roasted).

Then you should only ever remove them from the freezer ONCE and let them come to room temperature before you open the package so as to minimize condensation collecting on the beans. After that, you'll need to use the coffee up very quickly.

But seriously, you really shouldn't ever do that unless maybe you're going on vacation or something.. but even then -- just give your unused beans to the neighbours to enjoy while it's still fresh.

Best place to store your coffee is in an opaque, air-tight container (preferably ceramic or glass) someplace reasonably cool (if possible). Try to get your beans 2-3 days after roasting, grind immediately before brewing, and use your supply within a week.

NotJeff
02-27-2009, 08:38 AM
I also purchased a My K-Cup reusable filter. I have not tried it out yet but if it can retain the full flavor of my favorite coffee I will be very happy. I can see that ruining the convenience of the K-cup system but if the coffee is good, I'm not sure it will be any more inconvenient than using a larger coffee maker.

This. The waste generated by these things generally horrifies me, but the reusable filter is great for stopping that.

Inverarity
02-27-2009, 08:45 AM
:eek: [...]
Best place to store your coffee is in an opaque, air-tight container (preferably ceramic or glass) someplace reasonably cool (if possible). Try to get your beans 2-3 days after roasting, grind immediately before brewing, and use your supply within a week.
Actually, I do appreciate the advice. From what you're saying, if I want to have a very occasional cup of fresh-ground coffee, I'm likely to either screw over my wallet or my taste buds. Am I better off if I stick with the packaged K-Cups, then?

(Also, apologies to rein. I somehow completely failed to notice that you'd already started discussing the metal filter. Sorry about that.)

Inspector Fowler
02-27-2009, 08:52 AM
On work days, if I'm going to make coffee I usually just make some cheapo grocery store stuff because I just want the caffeine. I also never pay for Starbucks so even $1 for a mug of coffee is a little high for me when sometimes I don't even get to drink it all.

But on days off I love my Keurig. Great if you just want a single cup of coffee in the morning.

rein
02-27-2009, 09:12 AM
Has anyone tried the "reusable" K-Cups? If I remember correctly, they're a metal filter assembly with the same form factor as the K-Cups - you can use any kind of ground coffee in them and clean them out afterwards.

I really like our Keurig brewer- I don't particularly care for coffee, but it's great for those times when I want a cup or we want to make coffee for guests. But sometimes we'll go months without using it, and the cups are (a bit) expensive and have expiration dates...it might be nice to keep some whole beans in the freezer and grind them as necessary.

I tried the My K-cup reusable filter once this morning using pre-ground coffee. The coffee came out a bit weak but I am positive it is because the pre-ground coffee is a bit coarse for the Keurig system. I read a review that praised the reusable filter before I purchased it and they went through the trouble of grinding their coffee to match what is in the K-cups.

The reusable filter is a bit more cumbersome to use than I thought it would be too. You don't just drop the filter into the brewer, you have to remove the K-cup holster and replace that with the one that comes with the filter. It's pretty simple to do and if you don't plan to use the K-cups for a while it may not be a big deal but it could be annoying if you swap them out often. I will experiment with it a bit more over the weekend and grind my own beans to see if I get better results.

I'm definitely going to check out Amazon for better deals on the K-cups. I purchased some of the Sumatran Reserve K-cups and I am happy with them but they are just a bit too bold compared to the Sumatra coffee I recently started using in my old Mr. Coffee. They are better than the Senseo Sumatra pods.

50 cents a cup isn't a deal breaker for me and I very much like the one cup system during the week. I'm only (3) cups in so I am no expert but I'm very happy with the little coffee maker so far.

Bingley Joe
02-27-2009, 10:39 AM
Actually, I do appreciate the advice. From what you're saying, if I want to have a very occasional cup of fresh-ground coffee, I'm likely to either screw over my wallet or my taste buds. Am I better off if I stick with the packaged K-Cups, then?

Yeah, I would say that if you're only going to drink the odd cup here and there, the pods are probably your best bet, since they're (theoretically) sealed immediately after grinding. You'd hope the coffee is also fairly freshly roasted, although since you have no control over that, maybe it's best not to think about it ;)

You'll be creating some packaging waste that's unfortunate, but as an occasional thing, that's not going to add up to a whole lot -- nothing near the kind of horror-show created by the people who use these things 24/7/365.. those people would be better off using the filter by far so that they can control the quality of their beans/grind.

The thing to remember about coffee if you're trying to get the best cup possible is that the oils are extremely volatile -- ridiculously so. So anything you can do to preserve them as much as possible right up to the point where they come into contact with your brewing water will pay off.

One thing that might be worth experimenting with is to test the temperature of the brewing water. Ideally, it should be as close as possible to 202F (94.4C) for best extraction. Measure the temperature of the water coming out of the machine (without coffee in it if you can), and if it's below that, try filling the machine with hot water instead of cold. This trick works really well with cheepo drip coffee makers like you'll find in hotels and such. The Keurig is obviously quite a bit better than that, but like I say -- every little thing you can do will pay off :)

OldJadedGamer
02-27-2009, 11:23 AM
I'm definitely going to check out Amazon for better deals on the K-cups. I purchased some of the Sumatran Reserve K-cups and I am happy with them but they are just a bit too bold compared to the Sumatra coffee I recently started using in my old Mr. Coffee. They are better than the Senseo Sumatra pods.

50 cents a cup isn't a deal breaker for me and I very much like the one cup system during the week. I'm only (3) cups in so I am no expert but I'm very happy with the little coffee maker so far.

Amazon is great, they deliver then in two packs so you get around 50 total k-cups for about $21-$25 depending on what kind you like. The sample packs are great for trying a bunch out and seeing which ones you like.

You can even get a discount if you get them on a subscription to be delivered once a month.