PDA

View Full Version : Continuity the Name of the Game fore Marvel Movie U

Iron Past
02-26-2009, 12:35 PM
When I heard that Sam Jackson signed on for a nine film option (http://www.colonyofgamers.com/cogforums/showthread.php?t=6174) with Marvel, I thought cool, at least Nick Fury will have some continuity. Now it looks like that's the new contract deal, at least according to CHUD insiders (http://chud.com/articles/articles/18292/1/IS-NINE-TIMES-THE-CHARM-FOR-ALL-FUTURE-MARVEL-CASTING/Page1.html).

Not long after the story about Samuel L. Jackson signing for a staggering nine films with Marvel Entertainment broke, I got an email from someone well placed in the entertainment industry saying that we should be expecting more. It seems like the nine picture deal is Marvel's new contractual item.

Obviously, this is more geared toward crossover characters, but it still a ballsy devotion to retaining their movieverse that I applaud. If it weren't for the constant reports of lowballing actors/actresses they'd be my new favorite studio; then again, I don't how those negotiations usually work, anyway.

Also, a commitment like this is supposedly one of the reasons Emily Blunt shied away from the Iron Man 2 deal, but I'm not sure how much of that I believe. First off, I doubt anyone would want to turn down that many guaranteed blockbusters, then I don't think Marvel would need the Black Widow in so many movies, added to the fact that her option was exercised to shoot Gulliver's Travels interfering with the shooting of Iron Man 2. But maybe I'm wrong. :)

TheFlyingOrc
02-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Samuel L. Jackson already holds the record for greatest sum box office take of all movies he's appeared in (being in Jurassic Park and 3 Star Wars is a good start), but this might mean his record will never be broken.

Urizen
02-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Samuel L. Jackson already holds the record for greatest sum box office take of all movies he's appeared in

Is this true? Is he ahead of Harrison Ford? I remember reading once (admittedly probably ten years ago), that Ford was the biggest box office earner ever. That is, his movies have earned more cash in ticket sales than anyone else's. Is that what you're pointing out, or is that Jackson's the biggest earner based on his cut from ticket sales?

(I also remember reading Robin Williams holding the record for having the greatest number of movies to gross $100M+).

TheFlyingOrc
02-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Is this true? Is he ahead of Harrison Ford? I remember reading once (admittedly probably ten years ago), that Ford was the biggest box office earner ever. That is, his movies have earned more cash in ticket sales than anyone else's. Is that what you're pointing out, or is that Jackson's the biggest earner based on his cut from ticket sales?

(I also remember reading Robin Williams holding the record for having the greatest number of movies to gross $100M+).

Welp, I'm wrong (http://www.the-numbers.com/people/records/index.php)

But not in the way you think.

The top earner is Frank Welker (who does more voice work than anyone else in the world - Billy West once said, when you need the sound of a flock of geese, call Frank Welker).

Samuel L. Jackson is #1 for on screen actors, though.

Urizen
02-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Very interesting.

John Ratzenberger is in the Top 10 because Pixar thinks of him as a good luck charm. Must be cool.

TheFlyingOrc
02-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Very interesting.

John Ratzenberger is in the Top 10 because Pixar thinks of him as a good luck charm. Must be cool.

Stan Lee has the highest average gross of any movie actor. :)

cppcrusader
02-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Stan Lee has the highest average gross of any movie actor. :)

Anthony Daniels has him beat by quite a bit.

TheFlyingOrc
02-26-2009, 02:36 PM
Anthony Daniels has him beat by quite a bit.

I saw that - Daniel's isn't on the list of average gross, though. I wonder why?

cppcrusader
02-26-2009, 02:47 PM

That is odd. So I guess today's lesson is don't mess with Stan Lee.

Superman's Dead
02-26-2009, 02:52 PM
Or, conversely, that Anthony Daniels is committing tax fraud.

Hyperglide
02-26-2009, 05:56 PM

That's probably because they have to have appeared in a certain amount of films for examplelike 10 or 20. He's only done 8, so that's not a very glowing resume. I guess being in Star Wars dynasty would boost and skew his figures a little. :)