PDA

View Full Version : Quake Live Beta is...Live

DoctorFinger
02-25-2009, 08:56 AM
iD software has thrown open the doors of the Quake Live beta.

This free to play, browser based version of the classic FPS Quake III: Arena. The game promises 40 arenas, 5 game modes and tons and tons of fragging. Be forewarned, the website was almost completely overwhelmed yesterday, and even now it's still a little sluggish. But you can sign up and start cappin' fools.

Head over to Quake Live (http://www.quakelive.com/#home) to sign up.

UPDATE - The queue at the moment (10:20 EST) stands at about 22,000. I'll try again tomorrow.

Haemorrhage
02-25-2009, 09:30 AM
FYI, last night the queue for me was about 8000 and I waited about 20 minutes. This morning the queue started at about 14000, and after about 30 minutes it's still only at 9000.

You may want to wait a couple of days until the mad rush slows down or id gets more servers up and running.

But once you get in, Quake Live is some good old FPS nostalgic fun. The new skill matching works very well as you are much less likely to get your ass handed to you by pros.

Widgetcraft
02-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Played it a couple of hours this morning, and it was pretty fun. There was a large queue, like Hemorrhage said, but I wanted to check it out. I bought Q3 back when it first came out, and I was a big fan of it, the mods, and the other games based on it's engine. This web-based implementation of it is pretty slick, and very impressive. The frantic pace of Q3 takes some getting used to, however, when you're coming down from the FPS games of today.

roboninja
02-25-2009, 09:37 AM
I was in the beta earlier, and I got owned so hard. Instagib in particular sees me getting dominated. Guess I do not have the reflexes I used to. Plus, I guess many in the beat early are real Quake-heads.

Bone
02-25-2009, 09:49 AM
Yeah, I am definitely not a twitch player anymore. I played the earlier beta and didn't have fun at all- just constant gibbing and respawning for me.

That said... it's fucking Quake 3 in a web browser, and it looks and runs better than it did natively on my machine years ago :)

ElektroDragon
02-25-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm much more excited about Quake 3 Arena coming to XBLA. I was so good at that game back in the day.

TheKeck
02-25-2009, 11:18 AM
I wish this worked at work. I might actually play it. :(

roboninja
02-25-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm much more excited about Quake 3 Arena coming to XBLA. I was so good at that game back in the day.

Good luck playing this twitchfest with a controller.

Sandman
02-25-2009, 11:26 AM
Position in queue: 29137 :(

CES
02-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Boo. 28911.

Is this actually any good? I know it's more or less Q3 revamped but is it still fun?

rein
02-25-2009, 11:34 AM
Frak!! I waited in the queue and it asked for me to enter the code that was emailed to me. The problem is I had already verified my account so when I entered the code it responded by telling the account has already been verified. it wouldn't let me progress any further and I had to log out to get out of that screen. Back in the queue. I am determined to play this game before I leave work today.

spcialk
02-25-2009, 11:47 AM
Site says it will now return shortly...

BOO

Jackel
02-25-2009, 12:14 PM
Anyone know how much bandwidth this thing uses? I'm wondering if its viable for me to play or not.

Wilkz07
02-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Looks like i got it loading on a machine at works. sweet.... what was it I was supposed to do today?

EDIT- I'm 40007 in que

Telefrog
02-25-2009, 12:29 PM
Good luck playing this twitchfest with a controller.

That's not really an issue if everyone else has a controller as well. See UT3 on 360 for an example.

Bone
02-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Boo. 28911.

Is this actually any good? I know it's more or less Q3 revamped but is it still fun?It is essentially Quake 3 Arena. The tutorial at the beginning is, honestly, weakly done. iD was never known for their story and dialogue, so they keep the bar firmly planted near the floor for that. As soon as you finish the tutorial you move into multiplayer, and it's just about exactly how I remember Quake 3.

roboninja
02-25-2009, 02:25 PM
That's not really an issue if everyone else has a controller as well. See UT3 on 360 for an example.

Sure, it is less of an issue as you are not instantly killed by someone with KB&M, but it still changes the basic mechanics of the game. No need for a derail though, so let's just say I agree with you.

rein
02-25-2009, 03:31 PM
I wish this worked at work. I might actually play it. :(

Error code 9? That's what I keep getting. :(

violent
02-25-2009, 03:33 PM
That login queue is horrendous.

TheKeck
02-25-2009, 03:39 PM
Error code 9? That's what I keep getting. :(
I don't remember for sure. The problem is that the firewall has all the ports shut down that you need to play most games. Can't log in to steam. Can't connect on the Wii. Can't connect to internet game servers. It's a real problem. It's like they want us to WORK at work or something. :p

rein
02-25-2009, 04:11 PM
I don't remember for sure. The problem is that the firewall has all the ports shut down that you need to play most games. Can't log in to steam. Can't connect on the Wii. Can't connect to internet game servers. It's a real problem. It's like they want us to WORK at work or something. :p
My company is just now loosening up a bit on what sites they block. I should be happy with that but no.... ...I want to play games too. :)

I'm having a decent goofing off week since my boss is traveling. By this time next week it won't matter anyway since I will not have time for it.

I will most likely give it a shot when I get home tonight.

Sandman
02-25-2009, 06:24 PM
Position in queue: 8681

MagGnome
02-25-2009, 06:45 PM
I have almost no freedom on the net at work. My female coworkers can read TMZ and all of that other celebrity gossip garbage all day long, but I can't read about videogames at all. Nothing like a nice double-standard, eh?

Edit - To keep this on topic, I'll be giving this a try when the whole queue mess is resolved. I wasn't a big fan of Quake III back in the day, but it might be fun to revisit the game for a little while. I did enjoy playing it on the Dreamcast with a keyboard and mouse while my best friend was stuck with a controller. :D

Sandman
02-25-2009, 06:54 PM
Seems like one of the things they should fix in this beta is double or triple their capacity or else no one will be playing and we'll all be in queue.

Deimos
02-25-2009, 09:38 PM
I just spent a couple hours playing. It was great fun. I know I don't have the twitch skills I used to but luckily it looked like not many other people did either. I wonder how often stats will update. I played a couple hours and no stats have popped up yet.

DarkDay
02-26-2009, 09:18 PM
Heres a stupid question, I just registered and installed it, I have no idea where the hell it is.

I Know its right in front of my face im sure, but I cannot find it. HOW DO I PLAY.

Ah the days of disks.

Haemorrhage
02-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Heres a stupid question, I just registered and installed it, I have no idea where the hell it is.

I Know its right in front of my face im sure, but I cannot find it. HOW DO I PLAY.

Ah the days of disks.

What you install was a plugin. You play it through your web browser (ie firefox or IE). Just log onto http://www.quakelive.com and you play right in a window or full screen in your browser... magic.

DarkDay
02-26-2009, 09:31 PM
What you install was a plugin. You play it through your web browser (ie firefox or IE). Just log onto http://www.quakelive.com and you play right in a window or full screen in your browser... magic.

heh, Ya I figured that out, I got started, picked my char and such went to load it and there was a glass screen error or something and now the site seems to be down.

Go ID!