PDA

View Full Version : Losing faith in people.

pseudopseudo
02-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Just... people in general. When did people stop doing good things JUST to do good things?

At my radio station, we're giving away Jonas Brothers 3-D Movie tickets (not even concert tickets, mind you), and I get this phone call to start my day:

Guy: "Say, can I ask you a question?"
Me: "Sure thing."
G: "So, my daughter has been trying to win these Jonas Brothers tickets since 8 o'clock this morning. Is there any way you could just help us out and give us a pair of tickets?"
M: "I'm sorry, I can't do that. I'd get in trouble - we have to be as fair as possible when we give stuff away, which is why we do the call-in contests - everybody has an equal shot that way."
G: "I know, I know... but I donate stuff to your food drive and toy drive every year."
M: "And we definitely appreciate that... but unfortunately, I still can't help you out."
G: "What? Why the hell do I even donate every year, then?"
M: "Sir, you should really donate because you want to, not because you expect things in return."
G: "I want to speak to your supervisor!"
M: "Sorry, he's not in 'til tomorrow. You can call him then, though, his number is... "
G: "I can't believe you won't help me out. My daughter has special needs. She's retarded. I've donated every year for several years, and you won't give me these tickets." (I'm not even making that up.)
M: "I'm sorry sir. I have to follow the rules and be fair to everyone, since we have such a limited number of tickets."
G: "Your boss will be hearing from me tomorrow!" *click*

Sigh. I know it's a recurring theme around here, but why does humanity fail so hard sometimes?

OrangePulp
02-22-2009, 09:31 PM
On the plus side, your avatar is an illustration of Vince Offer, which is awesome. Maybe you just need to slap your troubles away.

DoctorFinger
02-22-2009, 09:32 PM
What are the chances he even has a daughter? Or is she named eBayina?

Spockrocket
02-22-2009, 09:32 PM
People are jackasses and expect instant gratification from every tiny good deed they do.
Most people just don't see the point in doing good anymore unless it benefits them.

I'm sorry you had to put up with that guy. The worst part is, you can almost guarantee he was lying about at least one of the things he said.

rein
02-22-2009, 09:34 PM
I would have commented that his daughters condition must be hereditary and played his little rant on the air. While I understand his daughter is probably driving him nuts for the tickets, a total dick move on his part to not only mention he donates to the station but to pull out the "my daughter is retarded" card.

Sandman
02-22-2009, 09:36 PM

A grown man that wants to see the Jonas Brothers 3-D movie?

President Fred
02-22-2009, 09:38 PM
Wow that's pretty disgusting. I can't imagine behaving like that, still plenty of good people do lots of good for a lot of other good people. It's just that assholes like that tend to be loud.

Generation ABXY
02-22-2009, 09:46 PM
While that is a disturbing story, I'm not sure people ever have done something good just to do something good. I know it sounds odd, but rather than someone doing something out of the goodness of their heart, it seems like they are always looking for something, even if it is just approval, a bit of glory or a feeling of superiority. When I was a little kid, I remember having no problem being hauled to the church to do work, likely thanks in part to the congratulations and praise lauded upon volunteers. (Don't judge me. I was young, and I've learned from my mistakes; now I charge them a hefty fee. :D)

Lekon
02-22-2009, 09:47 PM
I swear, It's sad and all, but I'm still really tempted to call in anytime I know PP's on the air just to fuck with him, by doing stuff just like this. Well, not just like it. I can't make shit that stupid up.

Disgustipated
02-22-2009, 09:55 PM
A song for your troubles, Justin:

43VyrUFEyNo

Johan
02-22-2009, 10:04 PM
I just can't believe someone is begging for, and trying to guilt you into giving, movie tickets. How hard up are people? I know times are tough, but begging for movie tickets? :confused:

I would have told him to take his daughter to the theater and ask the manager for free tickets for his daughter based upon her handicap.

violent
02-22-2009, 10:05 PM
I blame the Jonas brothers.

pseudopseudo
02-22-2009, 10:26 PM
I blame the Jonas brothers.

You know... I concur.

Zonkuya
02-22-2009, 10:27 PM
Don't worry, you'll always have CoG.

... Now, about those movie tickets...

(for Jonas Bros. in 3D? It's LIKE going to a concert!)

Zonkuya
02-22-2009, 10:30 PM

Wow, just when my cousin is asking around for suggestions to name her upcoming baby. Thanks! And yes, we'll honor the naming by only capitalizing the 2nd letter too.

Pale Ale
02-22-2009, 10:44 PM
CoG the great educator.

I now know what a Jonas Brother is...

I don't think I'm too happy about that.

Alatheia
02-22-2009, 11:42 PM
People are dumb.

I want to call Justin and mess with him on air too! :cool:

pseudopseudo
02-22-2009, 11:54 PM
People are dumb.

I want to call Justin and mess with him on air too! :cool:

You'd be hard-pressed to find me answering the phone most of the time, because... I hate dealing with our listeners. :o

BlackPete
02-23-2009, 12:52 AM
While that is a disturbing story, I'm not sure people ever have done something good just to do something good. I know it sounds odd, but rather than someone doing something out of the goodness of their heart, it seems like they are always looking for something, even if it is just approval, a bit of glory or a feeling of superiority. When I was a little kid, I remember having no problem being hauled to the church to do work, likely thanks in part to the congratulations and praise lauded upon volunteers. (Don't judge me. I was young, and I've learned from my mistakes; now I charge them a hefty fee. :D)

That's a pretty cynical view. Not everyone is Baltar. ;)

Mike Kelehan
02-23-2009, 01:01 AM
While that is a disturbing story, I'm not sure people ever have done something good just to do something good.

Ever go to a blood drive? Where you get yourself drained, with no personal gain, and save someone's life? Sure, some people do it so that others think more of them... but how many people go on dates to blood drives?

Totally unrelated: I'm going on a date to a blood drive tomorrow afternoon. Seriously. She's that cool.

DeathtollWRX
02-23-2009, 01:06 AM
Good thing Q wasn't watching otherwise the primordial ooze would not have started up.

Alatheia
02-23-2009, 02:27 AM
You'd be hard-pressed to find me answering the phone most of the time, because... I hate dealing with our listeners. :o

What about if we set a specific time so you know it's me calling to be strange? ;)

Whunpo
02-23-2009, 02:43 AM
Ever go to a blood drive? Where you get yourself drained, with no personal gain, and save someone's life? Sure, some people do it so that others think more of them... but how many people go on dates to blood drives?

Totally unrelated: I'm going on a date to a blood drive tomorrow afternoon. Seriously. She's that cool.
I always thought you got cookies. That's personal gain, no? ;)
I'm deathly afraid of needles and my own blood, so I could never do that kind of thing, but I salute those of you who do.

mightbe
02-23-2009, 03:09 AM
This guy should be beaten with a fucking Nerf bat until he bleeds.

And we're filming it.

Wasson_
02-23-2009, 03:59 AM
Good thing Q wasn't watching otherwise the primordial ooze would not have started up.

Q..hah! what a putz. he is naked and lying on your floor.
V0XdRxSHVKg

much to Ensign Crushers delight I might add...

Purple Santa
02-23-2009, 06:03 AM

There is a really bad vampire joke/story that could be made on that upcoming date :p

On an everyday basis, I think to protect ourselves we tend to block out much of our behavior we observe from others. Then we get reminded how awful we can be.

Narradisall
02-23-2009, 06:16 AM
I lost faith in humanity long ago.

I used to work in a social housing project, and a good 60% of the properties were being let by the tenants and making them £00's a month.

While the real needed people that should have been living in them froze to death. (I shit you not they actually found one of the previous applicants dead from hypothermia).

Widgetcraft
02-23-2009, 07:30 AM
How is it he has money to donate shit every year, but can't afford two movie tickets?

Well, Christians tell me on a fairly routine basis that, because I'm not a Christian, it is virtually impossible for me to do anything that isn't partially self-serving. But if I accept the Lord Jesus Christ into my heart, then I can totally be one of the good guys. I'm not exaggerating.

Personally, I think it is bunk. Sure, when I donate money to something, or help someone out, it is partially so I can feel good about myself. But I could probably go buy a Whopper and feel just as good.

Ancalagon
02-23-2009, 07:39 AM
I always think.... you know how in sci fi movies and books, humanity is always represented as the "good side", the "good guys". In reality, if we were to encounter an alien race, I think we would almost universally be the bad guys, depending on whether they had a technological advantage in warfare over us. Thats how humanity has always behaved - it oppresses weaker cultures and individuals for its own gain.

You can see this phenomenon on a smaller scale within society - bitchy and/or nasty people are usually quite popular, while excessively nice people get walked all over.

There is some irony in that, while we as a culture and race are pretty fucked up, we still have some of the most shining examples of goodness.

Squidbot
02-23-2009, 07:49 AM
I hope the call was recored, in case the asshole does come back for more.

ClannerDelta
02-23-2009, 09:10 AM

To be honest, I do agree with you. Everything serves some sort of selfish motivation.

The key difference to me between an entirely selfish person and what is traditionally thought of as a "selfless" person is that one will indulge their desires and fill their needs at the expense of society, while the other will align their desires and needs with the needs of society. So while the time I spend helping at a homeless shelter might not be entirely selfless. It's a way for me to show my thanks to the lucky D20 in the sky for my life working out as well as it has. Giving me peace of mind. I'm getting something in return for my effort.

As selfish person who makes sure their selfish desires helps their society as a whole is a much better person than the anarchist out to indulge their selfish needs at the expense of society.

Not sure if that came out right or not.

Generation ABXY
02-23-2009, 10:39 AM

Well, there is the bit of praise and thanks you get from the people drawing the blood, and most people get pats on the back well after since they often can't resist recounting their good deeds to others in some way.

*cough*

I always thought you got cookies. That's personal gain, no? ;)
I'm deathly afraid of needles and my own blood, so I could never do that kind of thing, but I salute those of you who do.

I rest my case.

Well, Christians tell me on a fairly routine basis that, because I'm not a Christian, it is virtually impossible for me to do anything that isn't partially self-serving. But if I accept the Lord Jesus Christ into my heart, then I can totally be one of the good guys. I'm not exaggerating.

Oh yeah, they can be real dicks sometimes. I'm not saying they're all like that, but just from my experience with religious groups, it seems their wholesome nature tends to come and go as it serves them.

Personally, I think it is bunk. Sure, when I donate money to something, or help someone out, it is partially so I can feel good about myself. But I could probably go buy a Whopper and feel just as good.

But you don't get the long-lasting effects, and sometimes tax break, that comes with making a donation. :p

To be honest, I do agree with you. Everything serves some sort of selfish motivation.

The key difference to me between an entirely selfish person and what is traditionally thought of as a "selfless" person is that one will indulge their desires and fill their needs at the expense of society, while the other will align their desires and needs with the needs of society. So while the time I spend helping at a homeless shelter might not be entirely selfless. It's a way for me to show my thanks to the lucky D20 in the sky for my life working out as well as it has. Giving me peace of mind. I'm getting something in return for my effort.

As selfish person who makes sure their selfish desires helps their society as a whole is a much better person than the anarchist out to indulge their selfish needs at the expense of society.

Not sure if that came out right or not.

I see what you're saying. And I'm not saying it is a clean break, you're either selfish or you're not. I'm just saying, it seems to me that no one is ever entirely selfless. My intent is not to discourage some one from doing a kind act, since it does often help someone, I'm just not surprised when they find they can't get something in return.

ShivaX
02-23-2009, 10:40 AM

I tend to agree with this.

Historically people would do good things to get into heaven. Theres always a "payment" for doing something good, even if that payment is as abstract as feeling good about doing it. You're still getting something out of the deal. Now expecting a real world cause and effect payback is pretty shitty no matter what time you live in. Or its communism. I forget.

Johan
02-23-2009, 10:53 AM
Even to a cynic such as myself, it seems pretty cynical not to recognize that some people do good things for absolutely no external reward at all. To say that an internal reward of positive feelings is somehow selfish would also seem to be overstating things quite a bit.

There are a few genuinely good people out there who do good things for no external gain. I haven't found too many, but they're out there.

I also have to say that I have a very, very, VERY different definition of generosity than most here would. I do not think it's generous to give out of one's excess. Generosity, to me, is giving that costs the giver something. A billionaire who gives away a million dollars hasn't done anything that cost them a thing, and may in fact have seen benefits from their generosity in their taxes and the like. Their actions have a positive result, but are not, in my mind, generous as I would define it.

True generosity, in my mind, costs, and gives privately/quietly.

ShivaX
02-23-2009, 11:06 AM
I agree with what Johan said as well (I guess I'm agreeable today).

Giving away a ton of money when you're insanely rich doesn't impress me that much. I'm far more impressed by the guy living day by day who gives knowing full well it means he'll be eating ramens that week because of it. Thats quite a leap from knowing you will only be able to buy one private jet this year in my book.

BlackPete
02-23-2009, 11:08 AM
I tend to agree with this.

Historically people would do good things to get into heaven. Theres always a "payment" for doing something good, even if that payment is as abstract as feeling good about doing it. You're still getting something out of the deal.

I do good things to feel good. Is that selfish? ;)

ShivaX
02-23-2009, 11:14 AM
I do good things to feel good. Is that selfish? ;)

According to some. Then again I eat to not die, so I guess thats pretty selfish too.

Slack3r78
02-23-2009, 11:15 AM
here are a few genuinely good people out there who do good things for no external gain. I haven't found too many, but they're out there.
Mr. Rogers.

Johan
02-23-2009, 11:29 AM
Mr. Rogers.

He's dead.

"Only the good die young." :(

Edit: Actually, he wasn't very young when he died, so either the song/idiom is incorrect, or Mr. Rogers was not a good man.

Loki
02-23-2009, 11:43 AM
There is some irony in that, while we as a culture and race are pretty fucked up, we still have some of the most shining examples of goodness.

Who/what do we have to compare ourselves to when it comes to conciously doing good/bad things?

Slack3r78
02-23-2009, 11:46 AM
He's dead.

Edit: Actually, he wasn't very young when he died, so either the song/idiom is incorrect, or Mr. Rogers was not a good man.
Well, if it makes you fell better, I started to add 'But he's dead, so we're all fucked anyway' onto the end of my post but decided against it. ;)

National Kato
02-23-2009, 12:33 PM
Mr. Rogers.

And Richard Simmons.

ClannerDelta
02-23-2009, 12:38 PM
According to some. Then again I eat to not die, so I guess thats pretty selfish too.

The cow that was killed in a horrific fashion to provide the steak I eat would most likely agree that I'm pretty selfish.

BlackPete
02-23-2009, 12:55 PM
He's dead.

No way is Mr. Rogers a good guy. He's fucking scary.

Here's proof:

fBTpSqE3ipY

Alatheia
02-23-2009, 01:00 PM
No way is Mr. Rogers a good guy. He's fucking scary.

Here's proof:

fBTpSqE3ipY

Great, now you've given me nightmares :p

TheFlyingOrc
02-23-2009, 01:05 PM
I'd say good things done out of gratitude could occasionally have a complete lack of selfishness. If someone does something astoundingly kind for you, and you desire to reciprocate, that's pretty unselfish.

JayK47
02-23-2009, 05:24 PM
Had you recorded the conversation, your radio station could have used it for the morning show. Rip on the guy enough, he may call in, then tear into him some more. Haha. That guy is rated R for retarded.