PDA

View Full Version : "I want that song at my wedding!"

Rock Bandit
02-17-2009, 12:22 PM
For those already married, what song did you first dance to with your new spouse? Everyone else, what song would you want? I think I'd want "Stand By Me".

biosc1
02-17-2009, 01:00 PM
First dance was:

Come What May from the Moulin Rouge soundtrack...I believe, it's been a few years.

Other than that, I cannot recall what the song was when we came into the reception...may have been White Wedding by Billy Idol, but I was in a daze by that point, so I didn't hear a thing.

Dinner music was Denzel Sinclaire...great great jazz artist who got famous by doing covers of Nat King Cole.

Troggles
02-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Living on a Prayer.
I want that song played everywhere I go.

Kelegacy
02-17-2009, 01:47 PM
I'm not married yet, but I figure it will be something bawdby by 2 Live Crew.

And "Another One Bites the Dust" has to play. Mandatory.

Worldcrafter
02-17-2009, 01:51 PM
I'm getting married in May and I think we're going to have our first dance to "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol. It was played on the radio all the time when we first started dating and every time I hear it I think of her.

National Kato
02-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Most of Al Green's shit.

Mot Wakorb
02-17-2009, 02:02 PM
The wife and I danced to "Watch The Wind Blow By" by Tim McGraw. Really describes our relationship, sometimes just hanging out and being together is the way to go.

Doctor Setebos
02-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Our wedding was held at the Plummer House in Rochester, MN. It's a 20s-style mansion. We had the wedding on a huge garden and then held the reception out on the balcony of the mansion overlooking the garden. We danced to "Isn't this a lovely day?" by Ella and Louis. The rest of the evening's music was nothing but jazz.

I really, really liked our wedding. :D

destoo
02-17-2009, 02:05 PM
Living on a Prayer.

Well, after the wedding, you're not halfway there anymore.

destoo
02-17-2009, 02:06 PM
The most fun we had was picking the entrance songs for everyone, kinda like a wrestler getting in the ring.
for the In-laws, it was "Penny Lane" from the beatles.
My parents came in to "Cecillia" from Joe Dassin. (french remake of the Simon-Garfunkel song)
Our entrance song was "Beautiful Day" by the Eels. (heard in the movie "Road Trip")
My sister also had a kick ass song.
I don't remember the others, but I kept the cd somewhere.

I think the dancing was launched with "Nothing else Matters", not sure if the the orchestrated version was out yet.

tombofsoldier
02-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Duncan Hills Coffee

pronounconnoun
02-17-2009, 02:25 PM
"Night and Day" by Frank Sinatra or "Only in Dreams" by Weezer.

5y1v4r
02-17-2009, 02:29 PM
"Hard to Concentrate" by Red Hot Chilli Peppers always makes me feel wibbly inside, also Stong's "Fields of Holly, Fields of Gold"

rinichanraar
02-17-2009, 04:25 PM
"Night and Day" by Frank Sinatra or "Only in Dreams" by Weezer.

I always joked "Everlong" by Foo Fighters (the acoustic version) simply because I love the song, but it's kind of undanceable.

pronounconnoun
02-17-2009, 04:32 PM
I always joked "Everlong" by Foo Fighters (the acoustic version) simply because I love the song, but it's kind of undanceable.

If we're going to choose un-danceable songs, why don't we go all out?
sXldafIl5DQ&feature=related

GdNh9f2Wwm0

Shrinn
02-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Duncan Hills Coffee

I was thinking "Kill you" by Dethklok. It seems to fit better.

Veregon
02-17-2009, 04:45 PM
Getting married next Saturday, our first dance is The Way You Look Tonight sung by Frankie. I used to teach swing dancing so she wants to show off.

We're walking out to I Believe by Stevie Wonder (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H--_-gPX3Nw). (Have no sound at work, hopefully that video is of the original version.) I chopped it up so right as we walk in the chorus hits, and then the funk ending kicks in as we get to the dance floor to bust a move before the real first dance.

Jackel
02-17-2009, 05:14 PM
Lost in this Moment - Big & Rich (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkr5nIvSD5E) (Sadly I had to grab a live copy because I'm lazy)

was the wedding song at my wedding.

KamaItachi
02-17-2009, 05:37 PM
WE originally had "love will tear us apart" by Joy division set up, but there was a terrible accident and our ipod, which had our entire wedding playlist, got wiped.

We settled for "Just what I needed" by the cars.

Xydarc
02-17-2009, 06:05 PM
The first marriage was Angel by Sarah McLachlan.

If I get married again, I want it to be "Dare to be Stupid" by Weird Al off of the Transformers Animated Movie.

inmostlight
02-17-2009, 06:51 PM
If I ever get married, there will be Talking Heads: Love -> Building on Fire. And probably many other Talking Heads songs.

Suave Peanut
02-17-2009, 07:16 PM
"This Must Be The Place (Na´ve Melody)" by Talking Heads
"Another First Kiss" by They Might Be Giants
"We Have All the Time in the World" by Louis Armstrong

If I ever get married, there will be Talking Heads: Love -> Building on Fire. And probably many other Talking Heads songs.

I want to be your friend.

Laughing Penguin
02-17-2009, 07:52 PM
Etta James - "At Last"

IMHO, one of the most romantic songs ever recorded, and oddly appropriate, considering how long my fiancee and I have been together. If I need to show my geek cred a little? "Who Wants to Live Forever" - Queen

Ravenlock
02-17-2009, 09:22 PM
First dance was:

Come What May from the Moulin Rouge soundtrack...I believe, it's been a few years.

That's an excellent choice.

We actually danced to "He'll Make Her Happy" from the wedding scene of The Muppets Take Manhattan. We had a bunch of theatre people there from the theatre company we met in, and they all got a kick out of that.

J3DI
02-17-2009, 09:36 PM
It's funny that I come upon this thread... Wondering how to propose to my gf (sometime this year) has become a nerve racking task. I have a feeling that I will probably be going back into the military this year, so I really want to do it before then.

But, to get back on topic... I'd love to hear 'Love is You' by Chrisette Michelle.

Superman's Dead
02-17-2009, 09:38 PM
Getting married next Saturday, our first dance is The Way You Look Tonight sung by Frankie. I used to teach swing dancing so she wants to show off.

Congrats! I much prefer Fred Astaire's version, but its worse for dancing. =) Probably what I'd pick, though

astranoir
02-17-2009, 09:47 PM
"Best of Times" by STYX - it's so depressing, but romantic, and sometimes I do feel like these are the worst of times :p

wyeast
02-17-2009, 10:04 PM
Etta James - "At Last"

IMHO, one of the most romantic songs ever recorded, and oddly appropriate, considering how long my fiancee and I have been together. If I need to show my geek cred a little? "Who Wants to Live Forever" - Queen

Ditto, same reason. We had been dating on/off for about 10 years before getting married. :eek:

Virtual Machine
02-17-2009, 10:10 PM
We danced to "Lost Together" by Blue Rodeo, as the lyrics pretty much nailed it.

The final song of the evening was "Tuesday's Gone" by Lynard Skynard - which seemed totally fitting at the time, as the madness was dying down. It was a pretty huge wedding.

Thanasimos
02-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Skeleton (Everybody's Favorite) by Astronautalis. Yeah, it's obscure. But it could be danced to, and it's awesome, and it's the truth. And if the lady in the wedding gown disagrees, it must not be my wedding.

'Course, I'm too young to plan ahead for stuff like this, but that's half the fun.

Laughing Penguin
02-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Ditto, same reason. We had been dating on/off for about 10 years before getting married. :eek:

I can't really critisize... going on 13 here. Of course, we bought a house together a couple of years ago, knowing that the money that would have gone towards a reasonable wedding instead went into the house. So really we're married in every sense other than the strictly legal one. We still intend to make it official, of course, if we can figure out the money thing. She does have a nice engagement ring, however. =]

Rogue_hunter
02-17-2009, 10:48 PM
Living on a Prayer.

I'm not married yet, but I figure it will be something bawdby by 2 Live Crew.

And "Another One Bites the Dust" has to play. Mandatory.

If I get married again, I want it to be "Dare to be Stupid" by Weird Al off of the Transformers Animated Movie.

Bastards, stealing all the songs I would want to use.

mister slim
02-17-2009, 11:39 PM
I wonder, if I was getting married, would I go for sincerity or irony? Emotion or camp?

Leeds United would get people pumped. Time Only Knows? :p Dreaming in Color works on a couple of levels. Violently Happy is danceable. A Song for the Lovers has a wonderful slow groove to it. It's Going Down has an all-time classic bassline, though the innuendo's not quite subtle enough for a wedding. The Pan Within is danceable and a little more subtle. The Deftone's version of No Ordinary Love would be... interesting. What Sound is very appropriate, though I don't know what mix would be best. Protection? Actually, I think I'd go with Neil Young's Harvest Moon.

Wow, I'm all over the place. Yeah, I just took that as an excuse to skip through my music collection.

Dammit, I want Morricone to soundtrack my life.

rinichanraar
02-18-2009, 03:51 AM
sXldafIl5DQ&feature=related

GdNh9f2Wwm0

Wouldn't it be the most amazingly ridiculous thing ever if I walked down the aisle to "The Ecstasy of Gold"?

Dammit, I want Morricone to soundtrack my life.

Now that you mention it, same here! Unfortunately, my life isn't very exciting, so there would be an epic score accompanied by me doing really mundane things. I imagine myself driving to the store or grocery shopping to the song at the end of Navajo Joe (the one also used at the end of Kill Bill, Vol. 2). Man, that would be awesome.

mister slim
02-18-2009, 04:16 AM
Now that you mention it, same here! Unfortunately, my life isn't very exciting, so there would be an epic score accompanied by me doing really mundane things. I imagine myself driving to the store or grocery shopping to the song at the end of Navajo Joe (the one also used at the end of Kill Bill, Vol. 2). Man, that would be awesome.

I imagine even filing taxes or scrubbing out the oven is exciting and memorable with a Morricone score.

I think I'll have to test this. Scientifically.

Vandabo
02-18-2009, 07:37 AM
My favorite slow dance song has always been "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton.

The super nerd in me wants to replace the traditional wedding music with the "Throne Room" song from A New Hope.

I'd be torn between having my life scored by Morricone or John Williams.

Bone
02-18-2009, 11:26 AM
We didn't dance, but we had a harpist playing Beatles tunes. Blackbird was our song as we walked away after our kiss.

As cliched as it is, "Isn't She Lovely" by Stevie Wonder is a great one. My singer (it's a funk band) used that song at her wedding, but it's a little up-tempo and not for everyone's slow dance mentality.

Veregon
02-20-2009, 01:01 PM
As cliched as it is, "Isn't She Lovely" by Stevie Wonder is a great one. My singer (it's a funk band) used that song at her wedding, but it's a little up-tempo and not for everyone's slow dance mentality.It's really weird to me that so many people use that considering it's about a newborn baby.

Bone
02-20-2009, 01:31 PM
It's really weird to me that so many people use that considering it's about a newborn baby.Yeah, that was Stevie's intention. But "Blackbird" was Paul McCartney's song about the African-American struggles during the civil rights movement!

Both of those songs tend to work on multiple levels, like a lot of art does. When you hear the band playing "Isn't she lovely" while the bride comes out dancing , it all makes sense :)

pomeroy
02-20-2009, 05:09 PM
Etta James - "At Last"

I want this and "As" by Stevie Wonder. They are two of my favorite songs.

Bone
02-20-2009, 05:52 PM
Another vote for "Wonderful Tonight". I don't care how cliche that song is- it just works. Always gives me that lump in my throat when I hear it.

Hotcod
02-20-2009, 06:47 PM
"i will follow you in to the dark" by death cab for cutie... partly to freak people out and partly beacuse it's a beautiful song that i would hope sums up how i'd feel about any one i would want to marry. Nothing like a bit of existential romance to set the tone for a wedding night... ha