PDA

View Full Version : Oh my. I flooded my dining room.

Everyone vs Dinosaurs
02-16-2009, 06:09 PM
I am such an idiot.

As I am cleaning out my fish tank (As I do monthly) I have to siphon the water out of the tank (In order to clean it, and get fresh water for part of it). Well, I stick one end of the siphon into the tank, and one into a container that when full, gets dumped into the toilet.

Anyway, so today I forgot to do something pretty damn important in this process. I stuck both ends of the siphons where they belong, and then went into the kitchen to scrub the algae off the rocks and whatnot. (The tank is in the adjoining dining room) Probably 5-7 minutes later I hear a gurgling noise and I look over. The tank is sitting there, completely empty, and I think to myself
"Nuts. I'm in for a treat"

In order for this to make sense, you would have to know that there is a sort of half wall divider in between the rooms. On top of the divider is the tank, and on the ground in front of it (Where I couldn't see it from the kitchen) is the container I was filling.

Anyway, so I walk over to the dining room and low and behold, the 4 foot area around the container is flooded, flat out, like a rice paddy. WITH DISGUSTING BROWNISH FISH WATER. So fast forward an hour of my trying to suck the water out using a carpet cleaner, and I am thinking I'm going to have to tear out the carpet, and put a new pad in.

Fantastic.

Anyway if that didn't make any sense I'm sorry, this is kind of just a rant to make me forget my extreme stupidity.

(I'll give an update later on if I end up having to get a new pad)

I kinda messed up there... heh

Aggort
02-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Your reaction is quite calm and hilarious.

ShivaX
02-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Your reaction is quite calm and hilarious.

My recitation of the story would include...

"And now I have a broken fish tank and shards of glass all over the living room and my fish are living in a pot."

Johan
02-16-2009, 06:36 PM
I used to have a 55 gallon tank, and I found a terrific method of cleaning out the muck.

I got rid of the damn thing.

rein
02-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Ouch! I hate floods... .especially indoor floods. I've suffered through one myself. Clean up sucks.

zarathstra
02-16-2009, 07:02 PM
Bummer man, I know how bad fish water smells too. Good luck getting everything cleaned up!

Gormanimal
02-16-2009, 07:04 PM
Oh, fish-poo-water flood, that's terrible! I would agree with previous comments stating you appear to have handled it well.

Zrikz
02-16-2009, 07:17 PM
I'm always scared I'm going to do that with my tank sometime, so I stick the whole siphon into the tank when I go to dump the water out.

God cleaning a fish tank is kinda annoying, but semi soothing at the same time =/

diablopath
02-16-2009, 07:20 PM
Do you have a Shamwow?

Whunpo
02-16-2009, 07:27 PM
Shit, well done!
Anyway I can help?

Everyone vs Dinosaurs
02-16-2009, 07:42 PM
Its mostly drained now, but a fan is blaring

Purple Santa
02-16-2009, 08:16 PM
Its mostly drained now, but a fan is blaring

Do you live at home with your parents? Or you on your own? If you live with the parents...oh please post the audio of that conversation :p

Whunpo
02-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Do you live at home with your parents? Or you on your own? If you live with the parents...oh please post the audio of that conversation :p

He lives with his dad. The cool part is, I can imagine his dad not being too pissed about the whole thing. :cool:

Crittias
02-16-2009, 08:25 PM
Do you have a Shamwow?Best.Reply.Ever.

Bad Buddha
02-16-2009, 08:42 PM
Redecorate with a nautical theme. People will say, "Wow! It's like I can smell the seaside!"

Johan
02-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Redecorate with a nautical theme. People will say, "Wow! It's like I can smell the seaside!"

That explains why people feel like they're "on the farm" at my house. :D

Edit: One of the most common ways to flood your home is through rubber hoses on your washing machine; they can BURST, and it's not that uncommon. Get flexible metal hoses from your local hardware store. You'll thank me.

ThievesAmongUs
02-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Damn, I remember once when I did that with my kitchen sink. I left it on and went upstairs for 10 minutes (playing Freelancer), and that's when I realized that I'd left the damn sink on. Flooded the two bottom selves of my cabinets, that was a mess to clean up.

Young Al Capone
02-16-2009, 09:41 PM
Bummer.

I too recently flooded a part of my house. Cleaning and doing laundry, leave mop in utility sink where laundry machine drains and leave to get some more cleaning shit...

diablopath
02-16-2009, 09:42 PM
When I was a kid, I was running bathwater, and thought to myself "I'll just play some pokemon to pass the time."

10 minutes later, my dad was pissed.

Everyone vs Dinosaurs
02-16-2009, 11:42 PM

Yes I do.

He lives with his dad. The cool part is, I can imagine his dad not being too pissed about the whole thing. :cool:

And he was just like *shrug* accidents happen I guess. :)

I'm glad he is pretty cool about stuff like this.

Bingley Joe
02-17-2009, 12:01 AM
We used to have a 50 gallon tank in our living room when I was a kid.

We also had a cat that desperately wanted to eat all the fish in the tank. She used to spend nearly every waking moment either on or around that tank shooting laser-beam eyes at those fish..

The tank had an outboard filter that used two tubes - one inlet, and one outlet - to filter the water from the tank..

One morning, we came downstairs to discover that the cat had somehow managed to unhook the outlet tube from the filter. The tank slowly emptied onto our living room floor and subsequently drained into the basement, destroying my mother's art books. All the fish died either of asphyxiation or shock -- It was a complete fucking disaster.

In all likelihood, she probably just bumped the hose out of its socket while trying to climb on top of the tank, but there's a part of me that likes to think she masterminded the whole caper ;)

Alatheia
02-17-2009, 02:00 AM
Did you let her eat the fish after she killed them?

Disgustipated
02-17-2009, 05:00 AM

Cats rarely eat dead shit. They play with things until they die, and then chew on them like toys. But eat? Heh.

No other feline does this...

Bingley Joe
02-17-2009, 08:50 AM

LOL! I *think* that may have sent the wrong message :p

Everyone vs Dinosaurs
02-17-2009, 08:52 AM
LOL! I *think* that may have sent the wrong message :p

Nonono, you know she did it intentionally, I know she did it intentionally, we all know she did it intentionally. :p

zarathstra
02-17-2009, 12:33 PM
Nonono, you know she did it intentionally, I know she did it intentionally, we all know she did it intentionally. :p

Cats are evil and devious...that's why I like them so much.

Bingley Joe
02-17-2009, 12:33 PM

It was a pretty epic example of mass murder that she'd been planning for months -- I couldn't help but be a little bit proud.

I tried to explain that she was probably only trying to warn us of the gross safety hazard that loose outlet hose posed to the dear lil fishies. ;) My mom responded by saying she wanted to take her down to the aquarium and offer her up as chum, LOL.

Bad Buddha
02-17-2009, 12:36 PM
Cats are evil and devious...that's why I like them so much.
"If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember."
~ Terry Pratchett

zarathstra
02-17-2009, 12:40 PM
"If cats looked like frogs we'd realize what nasty, cruel little bastards they are. Style. That's what people remember."
~ Terry Pratchett

Mt. Pratchett is a true genius. Living with cats is like a daily contest of wills with tiny, furry ninjas. Every day you survive is like a little gift. Makes a man out of you too. unless you're a woman. Then it makes a woman out of you. You get the idea.

Kielaran
02-17-2009, 12:51 PM
~ Terry Pratchett

+2 awesome for quoting Terry Pratchett

Bad Buddha
02-17-2009, 12:57 PM
+2 awesome for quoting Terry Pratchett
My Awesome level was 8999...