PDA

View Full Version : A Wave of Misery

Karak
02-09-2009, 01:24 PM
And so this weekends game ended, perhaps before it should have.

One of the players, accustomed to poor DM's basically made it almost unbearable to play. I feel nothing but sympathy for the man. The DM's he was playing with in the past didn't let him have much choice in anything in the game, tried to cheat and swindle the players and basically played a "see how fast I can kill the players" game.

We still got to play about 8 hours. Used the DOC or "deck of cards" rules for Warhammer Roleplay and a couple of adjustments. which went off without a hitch and everyone LOVED it.
I introduced Fading Suns to 2 of the players who now say it is their favorite world yet. So we still had a damn good time. But its sad to see a player who's only idea of gaming is harsh DM's and using mini's for everything. We will keep plugging away at him. He thought it was the best game ever:( Which is both good and bad. Bad because man his games must have sucked before, good because he left happy. But it was indeed pretty sad.
We are getting together again next weekend and I am spending maybe 4-5 hours with him this week to do nothing more than talk and get him to understand that roleplaying is not ROLLPLAYING and that DM's are not out to get you.
Well at least this one isn't.

But we had Abby's pizza so that made up for much of the sorrow.

Virtual Machine
02-10-2009, 08:06 AM
Our game this weekend wasn't top drawer either. DnD 4E, which i'm still hating, and the whole thing was one big fight. None of us were able to focus at all at the beginning, but by the end we were back in the swing of things.

I cannot wait to start Lord of the Rings.

Karak
02-10-2009, 09:36 AM
Ya it sucks to have those kinds of games. We had a 40 second battle hahahah. The rest was just trying to get this one player to move. With the DOC system in Warhammer battle and all that is fast and amazingly fluid thus the 40 second battle hahahaha.
Well we will try again this weekend. Its funny, everyone keeps emailing me about how amazing it was, and I was emberessed to even show my face the next day. I guess these guys must have some shitty DM's in the past.

Panthera
02-10-2009, 07:45 PM
Man, I know the feeling. I sometimes feel like I did a terrible job as DM and everyone tells me it was a great session afterwards.

Virtual Machine
02-10-2009, 11:06 PM
Kev (our DM) definitely felt that way Sunday, man he was CUSSIN on 4E something fierce. At the end of the night he was repeating, "Dungeons and Dragons SUCKS!" like it was a mantra. The rest of us were all, "Good game man!"

Karak
02-11-2009, 12:09 PM
Kev (our DM) definitely felt that way Sunday, man he was CUSSIN on 4E something fierce. At the end of the night he was repeating, "Dungeons and Dragons SUCKS!" like it was a mantra. The rest of us were all, "Good game man!"

Funny enough some of the newer games make DM'ing a hundred times harder. This time I was lucky that I was using such amazing rules but its hard when all the players want to kill the other players ha

Virtual Machine
02-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Never was big on inter-party conflict within the game. You could get away with some stuff, some of it was pure role-play (like a quirky wild elf thief/pirate pickpocketing the gold to pay the toll to enter a town from the other player who's horse he was riding on - pure hilarity). Most times it's just pure bullshit - two particular players were none to fond of each other in real life, so one of them creates a character who wants to kill paladins on sight (of course the other guy was a paladin).

I usually stomp on that shit HARD.

Another reason i'm really looking forward to Lord of the Rings - essentially alignments are non-existent. For all intents, all characters are Lawful Good.

Karak
02-11-2009, 01:44 PM
Never was big on inter-party conflict within the game. You could get away with some stuff, some of it was pure role-play (like a quirky wild elf thief/pirate pickpocketing the gold to pay the toll to enter a town from the other player who's horse he was riding on - pure hilarity). Most times it's just pure bullshit - two particular players were none to fond of each other in real life, so one of them creates a character who wants to kill paladins on sight (of course the other guy was a paladin).

I usually stomp on that shit HARD.

Another reason i'm really looking forward to Lord of the Rings - essentially alignments are non-existent. For all intents, all characters are Lawful Good.
Well luckily this was a person who just wanted to ask questions...in all honesty he was just interested in the world. The problem was that he went about it by investigating EVERYTHING, by literally stopping the group every thirty seconds. The sad thing is, nothing he did actually was wrong. He just well, he was just really interested.
Very difficult to pin down. If you stomp on it too hard you ruin his excitment, if you let it continue to risk alienation of the others.
I basically let it continue until the players themselves asked him to stop.
I may piss off many people but I dont play with two players who dislike one another and if someone gets out of hand, usually the group takes care of it.
From what I am hearing right now from the players they all thought it was an epic incredible game. So I guess I will just quite worrying about it.

I will say one thing, DOC Warhammer is probably the only system I am going to use for the next 10 years ha

5y1v4r
02-11-2009, 11:14 PM

I'm pretty sure that all DMs feel at least on some level like they suck, at least most of the good ones. In my experience overconfident DMs tend to run bad plot trains and not be open to critiquing. I've felt I've failed miserably at a game only to be told afterwards by a player that I'm the best DM they've ever played with.

Shrinn
03-09-2009, 10:37 AM
I had an amazing session in the Serenity RPG world last night. I was told I was DMing last minute so I pulled an entire campaign out of my ass. It was such a night of crazy rolls that all my players felt like incredible Big Damn Heroes. I crit failed almost 60% of my defense rolls! Heads were blown off in one turn!

Karak
03-09-2009, 10:41 AM
I had an amazing session in the Serenity RPG world last night. I was told I was DMing last minute so I pulled an entire campaign out of my ass. It was such a night of crazy rolls that all my players felt like incredible Big Damn Heroes. I crit failed almost 60% of my defense rolls! Heads were blown off in one turn!
Awesome man.
How are the rules in Serenity?

Shrinn
03-09-2009, 08:09 PM
They're pretty good. It's a d2-d12 based system. Serenity is really hard to DM though because everyone is always splitting up. At one point my 8 players were split into three completely separate groups so I had to jump focus so often that the Companion just ended up being left alone most of it. At the very least you're going to have a group out doing whatever and another group with the ship.

There are called shots where you can aim for limbs, head, neck, groin, etc at respective accuracy penalties and damage bonuses. Also different ways to shoot, burst fire, spray and area. They're really cool.

The biggest problem I have is accuracy rolls help determine damage. It makes sense, but it makes for some REALLY short, easy battles if you're up close. Say, PersonA is going to shoot PersonB with a pistol. PersonA rolls a 15, PersonB rolls a 1 for his defense. PersonB takes 14 basic damage already (Split between wound and stun) before even rolling for weapon damage. 14 life points is an average amount for a starting PC.

It's also no fun having to actually put someone away in surgery for quite some time if they get injured. Being able to magically heal instantly does wonders to keep everyone involved.

My favorite part is the Extraordinary Success though. If your character rolls 7 or more above the difficulty they have to overcome (if they have to beat a 3 and roll a 10) they do whatever they were trying to do awesomely. One person had to kick down a door and needed to beat a 7. They rolled a 20 so I had the door fly across the room and smack someone in the head, stunning them and making the next intimidation roll a bit easier.

Spockrocket
03-13-2009, 01:23 PM
I am jealous of this Serenity game

Virtual Machine
03-16-2009, 11:42 AM
I picked up Serenity but haven't yet tried it. I HATE the layout of the book.

We did play Shadowrun 4th last night, and i killed my first PC in a LONG time. It was just one of those things that happens. 3 players against a physical adept and a Vampire magician.

The adept was turned into crimson spray by a grenade launcher. The PC's weren't entirely familiar with the Vamp's mist form ability, which left them open to a few surprise attacks.

Sorry KaiBlaker. ;)

AboveAvgCharles
03-16-2009, 11:45 AM
Speaking of Serenity, I'm putting together a campaign right now. It revolves around the discovery of a lost colony sleeper ship from Earth That Was and the various factions trying to claim it. It should be pretty fun.

Ancalagon
03-16-2009, 11:59 AM
My favorite part is the Extraordinary Success though. If your character rolls 7 or more above the difficulty they have to overcome (if they have to beat a 3 and roll a 10) they do whatever they were trying to do awesomely. One person had to kick down a door and needed to beat a 7. They rolled a 20 so I had the door fly across the room and smack someone in the head, stunning them and making the next intimidation roll a bit easier.

Is there an "Epic Fail" counterpart to that, where they break their foot? Or their foot goes through the door but doesnt break it off their hinges, leaving them stuck on the door while the enemy opens it from the other side.

Shrinn
03-16-2009, 12:27 PM
Is there an "Epic Fail" counterpart to that, where they break their foot? Or their foot goes through the door but doesnt break it off their hinges, leaving them stuck on the door while the enemy opens it from the other side.

My understanding is that botches are left entirely up to the GM. If they roll all 1s on however many dice they need to roll the GM can just make them fail or can have more dire consequences. Someone tried to pull a downed friend behind cover. He botched his strength check so I said that when he reached down to grab her he didn't realize he missed, over-compensated for her weight that wasn't there, and fell flat on his face.

The short answer is: Yes.

What do you mean? I didn't have any problems with it but I'm not very versed in this stuff.

Virtual Machine
03-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Just found it kind of clunky to read through, and the rules were kinda poorly organized. I also found the book to be horribly brief in establishing its setting. Like it's screaming "ADD-ON PLAYER'S GUIDE!"

Just me. I'm fond enough of the setting that i eventually plan to give it a whirl after Lord of the Rings (another book i've got some serious issues with).

MalReynolds
03-18-2009, 05:34 PM

We did play Shadowrun 4th last night, and i killed my first PC in a LONG time. It was just one of those things that happens. 3 players against a physical adept and a Vampire magician.

The adept was turned into crimson spray by a grenade launcher. The PC's weren't entirely familiar with the Vamp's mist form ability, which left them open to a few surprise attacks.

Sorry KaiBlaker. ;)

yes steve your a jerk killing me ... was getting sick of being a magic user tho sooo ....thanks lol