PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR jackets...what is with this fad?

Sandman
02-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Over the past year or so I've seen more and more people wearing NASCAR driver jackets. Has anyone else seen this or is it just where I live? Most of these people I've talked to wearing the jackets aren't even race fans and some didn't even know they were racing jackets. I am a race fan and even I think these things are ugly yet more and more people are wearing them it seems. Whats the deal here?

http://www.racingjackets.com/productimages/2008images/KYB-303-COL09.jpg

ShivaX
02-02-2009, 01:01 PM
You need to get the hell out of the South.

I've never seen someone wearing anything like that. It would take a lot for me to not openly mock them for doing so.

LongStepMantis
02-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Over the past year or so I've seen more and more people wearing NASCAR driver jackets. Has anyone else seen this or is it just where I live? Most of these people I've talked to wearing the jackets aren't even race fans and some didn't even know they were racing jackets. I am a race fan and even I think these things are ugly yet more and more people are wearing them it seems. Whats the deal here?

http://www.racingjackets.com/productimages/2008images/KYB-303-COL09.jpg

Wait, what?

So they buy jackets covered in corporate sponsor stickers because they think it looks nice?
"When we go out I like to wear my fluorescent yellow M&M's/Snickers/Toyota coat. For the ladies."

Sandman
02-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Wait, what?

So they buy jackets covered in corporate sponsor stickers because they think it looks nice?
"When we go out I like to wear my fluorescent yellow M&M's/Snickers/Toyota coat. For the ladies."

Basically....most people buy the jackets because they like the brand on them.

And these are college students I'm talking about. I don't get it.

Generation ABXY
02-02-2009, 01:09 PM
Wait, what?

Well, so long as he has an exquisite mating dance to go with the bright plumage, I suppose it is okay.

To the OP: Yes, I've seen them around here (well, not that exact one), but, thankfully, it doesn't appear to be a major fad; if you see it, it will be on a racing fan, just like any other sports apparel. I agree with what ShivaX said, get out of the south.

Wolvie
02-02-2009, 01:10 PM
That's funny LongStepMantis, my oldest brother accuses me of being a walking billboard when I wear my Detroit Redwings jersey. Anyways, I guess people want to just cut the bullshit and actually be walking billboards. This must making the advertising people very happy.

Edit: Hell Shiva I live in Kansas and I haven't seen any of that shit around here. There seems to be a fair number of NASCAR fans around here, yet no stupid jackets.

ShivaX
02-02-2009, 01:12 PM
I mean if they were handing them out for free I could see it.
I can't see paying to be a billboard.

Gwinny
02-02-2009, 01:15 PM
I've never seen people wearing NASCAR jackets. I see people out and about town in hunting camouflage or blazing orange vests all the time, though. It's not any better.

LongStepMantis
02-02-2009, 01:16 PM
That's funny LongStepMantis, my oldest brother accuses me of being a walking billboard when I wear my Detroit Redwings jersey. Anyways, I guess people want to just cut the bullshit and actually be walking billboards. This must making the advertising people very happy.

Edit: Hell Shiva I live in Kansas and I haven't seen any of that shit around here. There seems to be a fair number of NASCAR around here, yet no stupid jackets.

See, if you're one of those diehard fans, I get why you wear something like this. I really do. My uncle is a living, walking advertisement for Chevrolet. He loves NASCAR and wears hats to match his coats.

I just don't get what people who aren't fans wear them for. Wearing it says to everyone that sees you "I love this shit."
If you aren't even a fan...that just seems bizarre.

Whunpo
02-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Yeah, no shit. If someone gave me that coat, I'd wear it. I'm not paying to be their advertisements.
However, if this really is catching on, someones a genius. Selling people advertisements? Well done.

Bad Buddha
02-02-2009, 01:17 PM
And these are college students I'm talking about. I don't get it.
There's your answer. College students are not known for their intelligence. ;)

Sandman
02-02-2009, 01:18 PM
I see maybe 3 or 4 people in a day wearing these. It's not too big of a thing but it's big enough that I notice it.

Worldcrafter
02-02-2009, 01:18 PM
I guess people want to just cut the bullshit and actually be walking billboards. This must making the advertising people very happy.
We have a number of people around here that wear NASCAR jackets. I figure they must not see the brands as advertisements for a company, but support for their driver. Ironically, the sort of people that wear these jackets probably make me less likely to buy the advertised brands.

Seconds Out
02-02-2009, 01:23 PM
These jackets are nothing new. They were popular with the hip-hop community afew years ago. You used to see tons of people walking around NYC in those things. Havent seen any of that for awhile now though.

Wolvie
02-02-2009, 01:24 PM
BTW here's my favorite NASCAR shirt:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v446/WOLVERYNE/Picture363.jpg

:D

See, if you're one of those diehard fans, I get why you wear something like this. I really do. My uncle is a living, walking advertisement for Chevrolet. He loves NASCAR and wears hats to match his coats.

I just don't get what people who aren't fans wear them for. Wearing it says to everyone that sees you "I love this shit."
If you aren't even a fan...that just seems bizarre.

Whatever makes em happy I guess. Anyways, yeah I don't know why anyone who isn't a fan of NASCAR would wear fugly crap like that... I guess this is proof positive that trend followers are mindless idiots.

LongStepMantis
02-02-2009, 01:28 PM
That's how I feel about NASCAR. I keep that to myself at family functions though.
Those guys get way to worked up over what amounts to driving in a circle for hours.

Now racing that has actual courses, especially things like Rally, that can be fairly interesting.

Sandman
02-02-2009, 01:30 PM
These jackets are nothing new. They were popular with the hip-hop community afew years ago. You used to see tons of people walking around NYC in those things. Havent seen any of that for awhile now though.

So that's probably the culprit....this has been around for a year or two down here.

I still don't get it, they're like the 2000's version of the zubaz pants.

DylonCorp
02-02-2009, 01:32 PM
I haven't been able to watch NASCAR since I quit drinking.

That's not a joke setup. I can't watch it. How the hell did I spend years watching that shit?

Generation ABXY
02-02-2009, 01:33 PM
I still don't get it, they're like the 2000's version of the zubaz pants.

Somewhat related to that, has anyone else noticed a trend of wearing pajamas (mostly the bottoms) around?

Bad Buddha
02-02-2009, 01:34 PM
That's how I feel about NASCAR. I keep that to myself at family functions though.
Those guys get way to worked up over what amounts to driving in a circle for hours.

Now racing that has actual courses, especially things like Rally, that can be fairly interesting.
Go fast, turn left.
Repeat.

At a previous job of mine, one of the directors and her husband drove rally races. They drifted in a corner once and fell off a mountain at one of the big races in the Olympics in Washington state. She had to hike out with a broken wrist.

Now that's racing!

BTW: Dale Earnhardt is still dead.

Sandman
02-02-2009, 01:34 PM

That's not a joke setup. I can't watch it. How the hell did I spend years watching that shit?

NASCAR goes great with one of two things : alcohol or a Sunday afternoon nap.

Seconds Out
02-02-2009, 01:37 PM

Every year I try to watch at least some of the Daytona 500, as it is supposed to be an "American Tradition". I think 15 minutes is the longest its ever held my interest. I have no idea what makes that "sport" so damn popular.

Wolvie
02-02-2009, 01:40 PM
We have a number of people around here that wear NASCAR jackets. I figure they must not see the brands as advertisements for a company, but support for their driver. Ironically, the sort of people that wear these jackets probably make me less likely to buy the advertised brands.

Any time I see advertisements with sports teams in it(especially ones I don't like) I am less likely to buy that product.

I have a relative that bought a product after his team was advertised with said product. I thought it was kinda funny. I guess he thought they were more likely to win if he supported the company that was supporting his team with his money... I guess?

Shrinn
02-02-2009, 01:41 PM
There's your answer. College students are not known for their intelligence. ;)

I do not approve of that statement.

Wolvie
02-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Somewhat related to that, has anyone else noticed a trend of wearing pajamas (mostly the bottoms) around?

Oh god, I see that with white trash chicks all the time. I was sitting in my car in front of the Dollar General the other day and I saw two women walk in, both were ugly and fat. Both had on pajama bottoms... and their belly's were visible... *shudders* that was so horrifying.

Kelegacy
02-02-2009, 01:50 PM
I see maybe 3 or 4 people in a day wearing these. It's not too big of a thing but it's big enough that I notice it.

Someone said it above: you live in the south. I do see people wearing t-shirts of NASCAR up here in Maine, but never one of those jackets.

I don't like NASCAR, but the shirts, hats, jackets...any of the merchandise...is so ugly and loud that I can't imagine why anyone would want to in the first place. Like someone else said, you are basically a walking multi-billboard.

I can't imagine anyone with any sense wears one of those jackets.

Kelegacy
02-02-2009, 01:53 PM

You are totally underestimating the skill it takes to remember to turn left. If I was doing it, I would probably forget and cut a hard right, right into the wall. :)

A funny thing would be to attend a racing event and stand up and holler, "TURN LEFT, TURN LEFT!!" like you would scream for your team at any other sporting event. I'm sure those fans would flay you for poking fun at their sport, however. Flay you and create an M&M logo shirt from your skin.

DylonCorp
02-02-2009, 01:56 PM
You've got to give them credit, they manage to fill 24 hours a day talking about this stuff. Ask your cable network about the Speed channel today!

biosc1
02-02-2009, 01:57 PM
All I have to say is that these people wearing this sort of stuff almost makes me want to read this book...almost...

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6562/nologocoverup8.jpg

Generation ABXY
02-02-2009, 01:59 PM
Oh god, I see that with white trash chicks all the time. I was sitting in my car in front of the Dollar General the other day and I saw two women walk in, both were ugly and fat. Both had on pajama bottoms... and their belly's were visible... *shudders* that was so horrifying.

So Kansas is just as bad as Maryland; remind me to scratch that off of my places to visit list. :p

Wolvie
02-02-2009, 02:02 PM
So Kansas is just as bad as Maryland; remind me to scratch that off of my places to visit list. :p

You won't be missing much anyways. There's a reason they call it "fly over country".

Bad Buddha
02-02-2009, 02:07 PM
You've got to give them credit, they manage to fill 24 hours a day talking about this stuff. Ask your cable network about the Speed channel today!
Hey, they also cover F1 racing and Motorcycle GP racing. But yeah... you're right, NASCAR carries the station.

Sandman
02-02-2009, 02:09 PM
Yep, guy just walked by me wearing a Kurt Busch Miller Light jacket.

cppcrusader
02-02-2009, 02:23 PM
You need to get the hell out of the South.

I've never seen someone wearing anything like that. It would take a lot for me to not openly mock them for doing so.

Its not really a South thing. You'll see people with driver jackets anywhere where there is a large concentration of die hard NASCAR fans. I saw quite a few driver jackets back in Ohio, even came close to buying one myself a few times but they're ungodly expensive. Though the college students wearing them for the hell of it is new.

Though honestly I don't see driver jackets as much as I used to, even when I'm back in Ohio. I think it was mostly a 90's fad.

violent
02-02-2009, 02:30 PM
Wear that thing down here and you might as well shrink-wrap your genitals while you're at it.

Kelegacy
02-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Wear that thing down here and you might as well shrink-wrap your genitals while you're at it.

I'm sure people that wear these jackets get laid just fine. Where there's a honkey-tonk bar, there's a way.

Sandman
02-02-2009, 02:54 PM
I've been to a couple of NASCAR races and these jackets aren't even popular there.

Bad Buddha
02-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Yep, guy just walked by me wearing a Kurt Busch Miller Light jacket.
Did you shank him?

pseudopseudo
02-02-2009, 03:19 PM
Nascar fans will buy ANYTHING with Nascar crap on it, especially if it's cheap. Case in point:

Back when I used to work for Target, I was a member of the team who did price changes on things. One morning, my assignment was to put our ENTIRE Nascar aisle (yes, it had one side of an entire aisle) on clearance. So I started on it, tagging every single item (coozies, clothing, stickers, car decals, decorative stuff, lunchboxes... you name it) at about 9am.

When I got done at about Noon, I looked back... and almost half the things I tagged were gone already. Those Nascar fans are like piranha. At least the especially rabid ones wear the jackets, so you know to stay away. :D

rein
02-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Damn... ..every NASCAR related thread turns into this turn left bullshit. First, let me say I am not a NASCAR fan. I am a fan of NHRA and used to do some quarter mile street racing myself. To say NASCAR is go fast and turn left is like saying golf is nothing but hitting a little ball into a hole. You guys are clueless of you really think any form of racing is just driving the car.

...no I do not wear NASCAR clothing.

darkbase
02-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Used to be really big in Florida from 2004-2006, but by my senior year they mysteriously disappeared. The jackets, not the people. Honestly, most of the people wearing them were black. I never got it, but I never cared. Sometimes someone wearing one would match the colors with everything else they wore and it looked rather nice, actually.

Bad Buddha
02-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Damn... ..

HAHA!

NASCAR bed sheets?

Wraith
02-02-2009, 04:01 PM
HAHA!

NASCAR bed sheets?Why stop there?

http://thebeanbagstore.com/Holiday_Images/Black%20Nascar%20Bed.jpg

Bad Buddha
02-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Why stop there?

http://thebeanbagstore.com/Holiday_Images/Black%20Nascar%20Bed.jpg
I realize that it is a kids bed, but I can just imagine Jim-Bob saying "I need 'Victory Lane' emblazoned on MY headboard!".

Variable Gear
02-02-2009, 04:32 PM
I've been doing that for years, dad. It's about time you noticed! :p

rein
02-02-2009, 04:37 PM
HAHA!

NASCAR bed sheets?

Dude, that was awesome.

It's like you have a view into my room. :D

Generation ABXY
02-02-2009, 04:46 PM
I've been doing that for years, dad. It's about time you noticed! :p

That breaks your old man's heart - where did I go wrong with you?

Variable Gear
02-02-2009, 04:53 PM
That breaks your old man's heart - where did I go wrong with you?
It's not like you didn't wear pajamas as you fixed things around the house. I learned from the best!

LongStepMantis
02-02-2009, 04:58 PM
Damn... ..every NASCAR related thread turns into this turn left bullshit. First, let me say I am not a NASCAR fan. I am a fan of NHRA and used to do some quarter mile street racing myself. To say NASCAR is go fast and turn left is like saying golf is nothing but hitting a little ball into a hole. You guys are clueless of you really think any form of racing is just driving the car.

The reason we always end up on the "turn left" note is because we aren't driving the cars.

Watching someone, however skillful they may be, drive in a circle is not interesting. This is about NASCAR as a spectator sport, not whether or not any jackass could drive in one. I'm sure being behind the wheel of a car running ~200 MPH, surrounded by other cars traveling ~200 MPH would be insane.

Bad Buddha
02-02-2009, 05:01 PM
The reason we always end up on the "turn left" note is because we aren't driving the cars.
Also because it's low-hanging fruit and this is the internet.

violent
02-02-2009, 05:35 PM
I'm sure people that wear these jackets get laid just fine. Where there's a honkey-tonk bar, there's a way.

More like, where there's a sister, there's a way.

Kelegacy
02-02-2009, 05:36 PM

Sure you don't. I can hear your Jeff Gordon shirt from here. :)

GrenMag
02-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Sure you don't. I can hear your Jeff Gordon shirt from here. :)
P1w7Fh7VNto

That is all.

Urizen
02-02-2009, 07:03 PM

I don't know about that. Who doesn't have at least one t-shirt with big ass Nike swoosh on it? Or one that says Old Navy or Ed Hardy? It's not that different, to me.

I'm a soccer fan. I wear soccer jerseys that have massive corporate logos on them because that's what soccer jerseys look like (and the fact they are super comfortable, cool and never seem to hold sweat. If someone wants to dress like a NASCAR driver, or likes the color/design/comfort of the jacket, I don't see it as being a big departure from what people normally wear.

Clothes is one thing - there's no way I'd drive around in a NASCAR vehicle.

ShivaX
02-03-2009, 02:58 AM
I don't know about that. Who doesn't have at least one t-shirt with big ass Nike swoosh on it? Or one that says Old Navy or Ed Hardy? It's not that different, to me.

But those are clothing brands on clothing (and honestly I've never been a huge fan of those either). Not wearing a fucking ad for M&Ms and 30 other companies around. I mean I wouldn't think twice of someone wearing a big M&M shirt or jacket. When you have over 5 different advertisement, per sleeve it just looks stupid.

Nascar drivers look stupid too, but they don't have a choice, its how they pay for the crap. If you really like some driver buy a jacket with his picture, car or number on it or something. Don't become a walking billboard. If you aren't in a car covered with the same logos you look like a tool... Hell even then you look like a tool, but at least you're getting paid well to look that way.

Wolvie
02-03-2009, 03:06 AM

But isn't that the goal of golf? :D

All joking aside, sure there are other things that go into every sport, but when you break it down, racing is driving a car and going fast. And a lot of NASCAR races are nothing but left hand turns.

I mean if somebody told me Hockey is nothing but skating around with a stick and whacking a puck in the net, I'd tell them basically they are right. There's no reason to get defensive when someone boils your sport down to the basics. It's just cutting to the chase.

Edit: also I agree with LongStepMantis. Yes these guys are really good at what they do. It's just that watching what they do is really boring.

ShivaX
02-03-2009, 03:14 AM
But isn't that the goal of golf? :D

Its also why golf is boring as fuck to watch as well.

Wow look a guy hit a little ball and is now walking slowly after it. Mesmerizing.
At least in Nascar someone might crash and something cool will happen.
Sadly golf isn't like Happy Gilmore and nothing cool ever happens there.

Jeffool
02-03-2009, 03:15 AM
These jackets are nothing new. They were popular with the hip-hop community afew years ago. You used to see tons of people walking around NYC in those things. Havent seen any of that for awhile now though.Seriously, what the fuck is NASCAR?
http://thumbnails.truveo.com/0001/CD/6C/CD6C6C647BE1F61019F507.jpg

But yeah, I'd noticed the hiphop side of the trend finally getting here the other day. I went to the mall for the first time in a year or two and saw two people wearing them.

(Sandman isn't far from me, as I recall.)

Wolvie
02-03-2009, 03:24 AM
Its also why golf is boring as fuck to watch as well.

Wow look a guy hit a little ball and is now walking slowly after it. Mesmerizing.
At least in Nascar someone might crash and something cool will happen.
Sadly golf isn't like Happy Gilmore and nothing cool ever happens there.

That's why Golf is my #2 most boring sport ever. Anyways the crashes in NASCAR don't even do anything for me anymore. After watching explosions and crashes in the movies, on TV, and on the internet, the crashes in NASCAR are just meh to me.