PDA

View Full Version : Used MP3 Player Contains US Secrets

fitbabits
01-27-2009, 08:30 AM
A man walks into a thrift store.

It sounds like the opening line to a bad joke. And this case was a bad joke -- for the Pentagon.

Chris Ogle of New Zealand was in Oklahoma about a year ago when he bought a used MP3 player from a thrift store for $9. A few weeks ago, he plugged it into his computer to download a song, and he instead discovered confidential U.S. military files.

"The more I look at it, the more I see, and the less I think I should be," Ogle said with a nervous laugh in an interview with TVNZ.

The files included the home addresses, Social Security numbers and cell phone numbers of U.S. soldiers. The player also included what appeared to be mission briefings and lists of equipment deployed to hot spots in Afghanistan and Iraq. Most of the information appears to date to 2005.

The New Zealand journalist who first reported the story was able to contact at least one of the soldiers by dialing a phone number found in the files. He hung up once she explained why she was calling.

Pentagon officials told CNN that they are aware of the MP3 player, but can't talk about it until investigators confirm that the information came from the U.S. Department of Defense (http://topics.cnn.com/topics/u_s_department_of_defense).

"The government isn't doing a good job of protecting the information that it collects," said Marc Rotenberg of the Electronic Privacy Information Center in Washington.
Source - CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/01/27/confidential.mp3.player/index.html)

Holy crap! :eek:

Widgetcraft
01-27-2009, 08:34 AM
Not too surprising... Stupid people are trusted with important data all the time, and frequently they do stupid shit with it. A year or two ago my old university (the University of Kentucky) lost a thumb drive, which contained information (including social security numbers) of a significant number of students.

Dorkandproudofit
01-27-2009, 09:58 AM
So the U.S.D.D., which is supposed to keep us safe, is actually doing such a shitty job that all the terrorists need to do to get the jump on us is buy an MP3?

I think I will be moving to my underground bunker now.

DarkDay
01-27-2009, 09:59 AM
Ya read this yesterday, funny but not surprising. My thoughts are always not if it happens but how many times it does that we never hear about.

DubC
01-27-2009, 10:06 AM
Add this story in combination with the Russ Tice stuff... I'm completely disturbed by the ignorance of the government...

"The people shouldn't fear it's government, the government should fear it's people"
V for Vendetta

Iron Past
01-27-2009, 11:09 AM
This happened a few years ago with a military higher-up to me. The names and SSN for every Marine that was currently on active dury and for the four years prior was on a thumb drive, which he lost. They sent out a BS letter that it was misplaced by somebody else, but we already knew the real story, and it was eventually found. People are so stupid with important info it astounds me, especially in the military.

It's also unfair to blame the entire government unless you're trying to be dramtic. This is one person's stupidity.

muddi900
01-27-2009, 11:16 AM
Pffts. Americans are playing catch up. MI-5 agents lose 2 laptops a week

Gross Exaggeration

Wraith
01-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Anyone else notice that this guy's name is Ogle?

boratika
01-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Anyone else notice that this guy's name is Ogle?

I did. I couldn't help but wonder if this were manufactred news :D

pronounconnoun
01-27-2009, 01:14 PM
Old news. I once bought a droid in the desert with battle plans in it.

Urizen
01-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Burn After Reading?

diablopath
01-27-2009, 01:40 PM
Not too surprising... Stupid people are trusted with important data all the time, and frequently they do stupid shit with it. A year or two ago my old university (the University of Kentucky) lost a thumb drive, which contained information (including social security numbers) of a significant number of students.

Off topic:
You still go to UK? I'm thinking of transferring from EKU.
Like it?

Suave Peanut
01-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Well, as long as the mp3 player didn't have Nickelback on it.

Ox
01-27-2009, 04:21 PM
"The people shouldn't fear it's government, the government should fear it's people"
V for Vendetta
"The people should learn what the fuck an apostrophe is for."
Ox

Doctor Setebos
01-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Ox"The people shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition."
Doctor Setebos

axion
01-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Ox

Sigged? Yes.

Sandman
01-27-2009, 04:26 PM
why an mp3 player?

Bad Buddha
01-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Ox

"The people shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition."
Doctor Setebos
"The people should learn what the fuck an apostrophe is for, bitch."

Ox
01-27-2009, 04:30 PM
"The people shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition."
Doctor Setebos
"It's okay to end a sentence in a preposition where the alternative construction would be unidiomatic, as in 'This is an offense up with which I will not put' or 'The people should learn that for which an apostrophe is.'"
Killa N-Word from Compton

Doctor Setebos
01-27-2009, 04:36 PM
"The people should learn what the fuck an apostrophe is for, bitch."This is the correct answer. :D

H.Bogard
01-27-2009, 04:55 PM
"Did someone forget their secret pentagon shit? I don't think so!"

Codicier
01-27-2009, 05:01 PM
why an mp3 player?

So the guy could listen to the James Bond theme and feel like a total badass secret agent while reading it on the bus.

Duh nuh, nuh nuh!

Philonious
01-27-2009, 05:03 PM
I thought you might be worried about the security of your shit.

Everyone vs Dinosaurs
01-27-2009, 05:04 PM
I envision M's voice saying these SSIDs.

I want that device.

Sandman
01-27-2009, 05:05 PM
Oh well, at least they didn't try to take it to the Russians.

Johan
02-01-2009, 09:09 AM
I can't believe I missed this thread! Government STUPIDITY served with a wonderful glass of grammar to go with it! :)

Widgetcraft
02-01-2009, 12:09 PM
Off topic:
You still go to UK? I'm thinking of transferring from EKU.
Like it?

No, and no. I guess I have a low opinion of colleges in general, but UK was pure shit. They don't put any money into hiring new professors (they had a hiring freeze on for the three years that I was there, and before), but they wasted millions building a new office for the president of the university, just a three minute walk from the house that the university furnishes for him. I don't think much of most of the professors that I had there, with the exception of Mark Summers, who is a great history professors (even if you're not a history major, take a class under him).

There is a good gaming group there, or there was when I was going there. They're really more into paper and pencil roleplaying, but there is obviously some cross-over. Most of the people I knew aren't there anymore, I think.

Spockrocket
02-01-2009, 08:30 PM
I had a similar issue where I found Microsoft trade secrets on my 360's hard drive.

Turns out Gates is actually a cyborg. Who knew?