PDA

View Full Version : Did Time magazine give an award to a fake photo?

Tron
12-21-2008, 04:49 PM
Time magazine has released a list of the top photos of 2008.

When I came across this photo it struck me as being familiar.

http://img.timeinc.net/time/photoessays/2008/yip_2008/yip_13.jpg

Sure enough this was one of several photos that was accused of being staged.

http://stateoftheart.popphoto.com/blog/images/2008/09/05/picture_1_2.png

I suppose you could consider it an important photo since it was accused of biasing people against the Russians so in that case it was truly effective but should Time be recognizing staged photos without acknowledging that?

Soldat
12-21-2008, 04:57 PM
I'm not sure if the green circles around the men in the two photos are supposed to indicate if they're the same person or not, but either way, they clearly are different people. Still looks strange though.
Do you have links to this fishiness? I'm curious now.

OldeWolf
12-21-2008, 05:35 PM
Doesn't look fake to me nor set up for sake of a picture.

ShivaX
12-21-2008, 05:39 PM
This came up in a thread on EvAv actually. I think it was pretty obvious they were faked, though I can't recall why. I think the dead guy was in another photo walking around in those same clothes or something.

KingGorilla
12-21-2008, 05:58 PM
This came up in a thread on EvAv actually. I think it was pretty obvious they were faked, though I can't recall why. I think the dead guy was in another photo walking around in those same clothes or something.

I have pictures of my Grandfather in the suit he was buried in when he was alive too.

Could be fake, could be Geurrila photography. People have a tendency to be alive, just before they are dead. You could split the pics of Kennedy being shot into a different chronology and achieve the same effect,

Lint of Death
12-21-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm all but certain green circle man is the same guy in all 3 shots.

Tron
12-21-2008, 06:22 PM
I have pictures of my Grandfather in the suit he was buried in when he was alive too,

I don't think that's quite an apples to oranges analogy but what ever! ;)

Sazime
12-21-2008, 06:33 PM
Maybe it won because it was staged so well? ;)

ShivaX
12-21-2008, 06:52 PM
I have pictures of my Grandfather in the suit he was buried in when he was alive too.

Could be fake, could be Geurrila photography. People have a tendency to be alive, just before they are dead. You could split the pics of Kennedy being shot into a different chronology and achieve the same effect,

But you probably don't have pictures of your Grandfather at his own funeral dressed in that suit eating food and talking to people. Like I said, I don't recall the specifics, but I do recall it being pretty obvious that it was a fake. There was something about the crying guy too, but I'll be damned if I can remember.

It was an example of the Georgians using media manipulation. I'd go try to find the thread, but its too much work and I honestly don't care enough. :)

Generation ABXY
12-21-2008, 07:00 PM
I'm pretty sure I remember something about that, too, ShivaX. So, at the very least, you aren't the only crazy person here. :p

MagGnome
12-21-2008, 07:02 PM
I don't understand what the circles and arrows are supposed to indicate. Could someone please explain?

I'm pretty sure I remember something about that, too, ShivaX. So, at the very least, you aren't the only crazy person here. :p

That hardly helps his case. :p

Tron
12-21-2008, 07:04 PM
I don't understand what the circles and arrows are supposed to indicate. Could someone please explain?

That hardly helps his case. :p

They're trying to illustrate that the dead guy is in two different photos with different people. Like the same actor was used in several locations for differents staged deaths.

MagGnome
12-21-2008, 07:13 PM
They're trying to illustrate that the dead guy is in two different photos with different people. Like the same actor was used in several locations for differents staged deaths.

I see. Couldn't the photos have been taken at different times, with the bodies having been moved?

I'm not saying these aren't fake. I'm just curious how you figure out if the shots are real or not.

Morangie
12-21-2008, 07:40 PM
The photos were pretty dodgy but nothing was proven either way (http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/09/fake-georgia-pi.html).

Does anyone still care about Time anyway, after the Person of the Year was everyone?

Sazime
12-21-2008, 09:02 PM
The photos were pretty dodgy but nothing was proven either way (http://blog.wired.com/defense/2008/09/fake-georgia-pi.html).

Does anyone still care about Time anyway, after the Person of the Year was everyone?
Hey! Screw you man! It was me on that cover!