PDA

View Full Version : Last minute X-Mas gift emergency

Seconds Out
12-21-2008, 01:00 AM
I have a problem. My plan was to get my girlfriend a kitten from North Shore Animal League for Christmas. I figured it would be nice to adopt a little furball, and it would be pretty cool to give an animal a home at the same time. Of course life can never be that easy. We went to North Shore, and found that she had an allergic reaction to the first kitten she picked up!! And unfortunately with a studio apartment, a puppy is not an option. Being the dummy that I am, I had no back up plan. Help!! Please!!!

pomeroy
12-21-2008, 01:02 AM
Jewelry.

"Diamonds are a girl's best friend" and all that jazz...

Seconds Out
12-21-2008, 01:04 AM
Jewelry.

"Diamonds are a girl's best friend" and all that jazz...

Uggh, I know this is true. I usually do jewelry for valentines day, and something else for Chrismakah, ( she's half Catholic/half Jewish).

Roaddawg
12-21-2008, 01:07 AM
Something from victoria's secret?

Perfume?

pomeroy
12-21-2008, 01:08 AM
Does she like being pampered? A day at the spa is always nice.

If that doesn't work, you could always go this route:

WhwbxEfy7fg

diablopath
12-21-2008, 01:09 AM
Buy it anyway.
Kill it.
Stuff it.

TABLE CENTERPIECE.

You're welcome.

Seconds Out
12-21-2008, 01:10 AM
Too bad she despises gaming. I would have gotten her a Wii so we could do Wii fit together.

Seconds Out
12-21-2008, 01:11 AM
Buy it anyway.
Kill it.
Stuff it.

TABLE CENTERPIECE.

You're welcome.

Its nice to know I'm not the sickest individual in here, thanks Diablo. :eek:

fitbabits
12-21-2008, 01:24 AM
You're welcome. (http://www.hasbro.com/furreal/default.cfm?page=Products/Detail&product_id=21138)

fitbabits
12-21-2008, 01:25 AM
Buy it anyway.
Kill it.
Stuff it.

TABLE CENTERPIECE.

You're welcome.
Welcome to The List!

Seconds Out
12-21-2008, 01:32 AM
You're welcome. (http://www.hasbro.com/furreal/default.cfm?page=Products/Detail&product_id=21138)

Great idea Fitabits. Simply brilliant. Its a great start. Although, if I just got her that, I would be sleeping on the floor for afew weeks.

pomeroy
12-21-2008, 01:34 AM
Great idea Fitabits.

Oh, no.

I'm leaving this thread before the fatality.

fitbabits
12-21-2008, 01:35 AM
Great idea Fitabits. Simply brilliant. Its a great start. Although, if I just got her that, I would be sleeping on the floor for afew weeks.
Firstly, I should kick your nads for missing the first 'b' in my name.

Here's an idea... Get her the above and make a sizable donation to your local animal shelter in her name.

OldeWolf
12-21-2008, 01:35 AM
Idea #1: Take her on a shopping spree. Pamper her with a whole day just for her, shopping within a budget (that is, since you were willing to get a Wii in first place).

Idea #2: Learn who she is and all that she desires and match the gifts to what she likes in her life that she will most likely use often if not daily.

Idea #3: Ask your mom to make a fruit cake and a cheap hand drawn "I'm so sorry I did not have a back up plan for Christmas. Well, Merry Christmas anyways!" greeting card.

Seconds Out
12-21-2008, 01:36 AM
Here's an idea... Get her the above and make a sizable donation to your local animal shelter in her name.

Thats another great idea. Problem is, she'd prefer a sizeable donation to Tiffany's in Second's Out's American Express Card's name. :D

fitbabits
12-21-2008, 01:37 AM
Thats another great idea. Problem is, she'd prefer a sizeable donation to Tiffany's in Second's Out's American Express Card's name. :D
Listen, buster, if you're going to keep shooting down my ideas, I'll just have to...

Another idea, get the kitty and a prescription to Singulair or something.

Seconds Out
12-21-2008, 01:38 AM
Idea #1: Take her on a shopping spree. Pamper her with a whole day just for her, shopping within a budget (that is, since you were willing to get a Wii in first place).

Idea #2: Learn who she is and all that she desires and match the gifts to what she likes in her life that she will most likely use often if not daily.

Idea #3: Ask your mom to make a fruit cake and a cheap hand drawn "I'm so sorry I did not have a back up plan for Christmas. Well, Merry Christmas anyways!" greeting card.

I dont know if Mom knows how to make fruitcake, otherwise I'd go with idea #3.

Seconds Out
12-21-2008, 01:38 AM
Listen, buster, if you're going to keep shooting down my ideas, I'll just have to...

No, no, no. It really is a great idea. I wish I could do that.

Seconds Out
12-21-2008, 01:39 AM
I think I found it.

www.heatsurge.com

OldeWolf
12-21-2008, 01:40 AM
Wait...
Are you implying that you haven't a clue who your girlfriend is and what she likes and expects us to figure that out for you without even meeting her?

fitbabits
12-21-2008, 01:41 AM
I think I found it.

www.heatsurge.com (http://www.heatsurge.com)
And you knocked my ideas?!?!?

Gwinny
12-21-2008, 01:44 AM
That's too bad. :( How about... consumer electronics other than video games. Does she need a new phone or iPod? The spa day also sounds like fun. I wish someone would buy me time with a masseur or masseuse for Christmas...

OldeWolf
12-21-2008, 01:44 AM
And you knocked my ideas?!?!?

Instead of Chinese slave labors, they used Amish slave labors. :p

Seconds Out
12-21-2008, 01:50 AM
Wait...
Are you implying that you haven't a clue who your girlfriend is and what she likes and expects us to figure that out for you without even meeting her?

Haha, no I have a clue who she is. I think she'd love the nice Amish Craftsmanship of a Heatsurge.

OldeWolf
12-21-2008, 01:52 AM
Haha, no I have a clue who she is. I think she'd love the nice Amish Craftsmanship of a Heatsurge.

Before you order that, I suggest you go to an Amish store nearby and take a look at all of what they have to offer. They have some really high quality items you can buy that will last YEARS.

I personally have a coat rack and a plant stand from them. ;)

Seconds Out
12-21-2008, 01:57 AM
Before you order that, I suggest you go to an Amish store nearby and take a look at all of what they have to offer. They have some really high quality items you can buy that will last YEARS.

I personally have a coat rack and a plant stand from them. ;)

Do you think she might like a nice Butter Churn?

OldeWolf
12-21-2008, 02:36 AM
Do you think she might like a nice Butter Churn?

To be honest, the only person that would know that answer is you. It all depends on her personality, her taste, her style of living, etc.

TurboKinny
12-21-2008, 03:47 AM
Do you think she might like a nice Butter Churn?I snorted!

Does she have a good back or foot massager? Or even better, a gift certificate to a masseuse. Books are always good, or even some board games, a bottle of wine, and a promise for board game date night :)

nnanji
12-21-2008, 06:27 AM
Turbokinney beat me to the masseuse/spa suggestion. Depending on your price range, you could also spend more for a purebred cat that's hypoallergenic.

A hypoallergenic cat is a cat which is less likely to provoke an allergic reaction in humans. There is scientific evidence, that the Siberian and Russian Blue breeds are naturally hypoallergenic.( http://www.siberian-cat-breeder.com/hypo_allergenic_cat.html )[citation needed] Similarly, cat breeds such as the LaPerm, Sphynx, Devon Rex, and Cornish Rex, which lack some of the normal layers of cat fur, are generally held by mild allergy sufferers to be significantly less likely than other breeds to provoke an allergic reaction.[citation needed] However, as more people are allergic to the cat's saliva rather than the fur itself, the benefit of a hairless breed may be limited.

In 2006 the Allerca company announced the successful breeding of a line of hypoallergenic cats. However, no peer-reviewed studies have been done to confirm their claims and many scientists are skeptical of the company's assertions.[2] They are currently accepting orders for hypoallergenic kittens.[3] Another company, Felix Pets, also claims to be developing a breed of hypoallergenic cat.[4]

ADDGirl
12-21-2008, 08:54 AM
Hypoallerginic cats (http://www.allerca.com/html/hypoallergenic.html)
a breeder (http://www.siberian-cat-breeder.com/)

Normally I wouldn't suggest a breeder but this is an option. You could google more breeders or whatever

Edit: I didn't mention they are really expensive, I'm allergic to cats and I get allergy shots that does the trick for me and my 5 cats

WhyThree
12-21-2008, 09:25 AM
Make it an experience, something that the two of you can share together. The already suggested day spa or massage is a great idea, but make it for two. Or get tickets to a play or concert, even something you wouldn't normally do but she would enjoy like the ballet. The important thing is that you show her you've spent time thinking about her and the gift is something to bring you closer together.

Purple Santa
12-21-2008, 09:34 AM
Well if you were going to spend the money on a Wii, i'm going by that budget. How about a nice long weekend vacation to a warm island? There are usually good deals for long weekends that are in your price range...besides you are desperate...this will win you many points. This is a start for more ideas along this way, try romantic getaways (http://luxuryresorttravel.suite101.com/article.cfm/romantic_weekend_getaways)

Drayven
12-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Too bad she despises gaming.

let's focus on this part a bit. No gamer should keep around a chick who despises gaming. I say you spend your christmas cash on finding a new GF :)

Doctor Setebos
12-21-2008, 12:59 PM
I third or fourth the spa idea. It isn't as expensive as it might sound for a few hours of pampering. That's one of the things I've gotten the wife for Christmas this year. Girls love to be pampered and made to feel special.

rifter
12-21-2008, 01:05 PM
What are her hobbies? What does she normally go out and do? What did she do in high school for fun? We need a little more information for anything beyond generic gifts.

Everyone vs Dinosaurs
12-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Guys, TOASTER OVEN!

The universal gift!

Purple Santa
12-21-2008, 07:02 PM
Guys, TOASTER OVEN!

The universal gift!

EvsD...you never cease to amaze...truly...

CoGer Factoid: ADDGirl asked for a Toaster Oven for Xmas last year...

Seconds Out
12-21-2008, 09:53 PM
EvsD...you never cease to amaze...truly...

CoGer Factoid: ADDGirl asked for a Toaster Oven for Xmas last year...

That is true, I loves me a nice new Toaster Oven. However, this time I decided to take her on a mini shopping spree. She got $150 worth of clothes, and I got away without getting a headache. My next question is how does one pair of jeans and a sweatsuit cost $150?

Narradisall
12-22-2008, 07:31 AM
That is true, I loves me a nice new Toaster Oven. However, this time I decided to take her on a mini shopping spree. She got $150 worth of clothes, and I got away without getting a headache. My next question is how does one pair of jeans and a sweatsuit cost $150?

You suffered horribly and she got to spend your cash.

Thats what being in a relationship is all about!

You should have just got a hairless cat...

OldeWolf
12-22-2008, 07:50 AM

They were around $75 dollars each so no wonder she thought it was a sound gift from you + the time and attention you gave her in the process.

Now you got +1 good karma with her to "invest" on (in) for Christmas Eve & day. :D

AniAko
12-22-2008, 08:25 AM
If you have even a single creative bone in your body, MAKE her something. Song, art, etc. Couple that with something small (figurine she likes) or something, and be willing to explain your plight and all will be good. Unless she's a materialistic bitch, then I'd just sit back and reap free presents. ;)

Soulless Toast
12-22-2008, 08:41 AM
Take her to a pet store that carries "exotic" pets. Walk around and hold anything she deems cute (ferrets, chinchillas, hedgehogs, rabbits, sugar gliders) up to her face, and wait for possible allergic reaction. Buy whatever's cutest and doesn't give her hives. :)

Seriously, I'm allergic to cats and dogs, so I had hedgehogs. They are awesome pets.

AniAko
12-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Seriously, I'm allergic to cats and dogs, so I had hedgehogs. They are awesome pets.

The cuddliest I'm sure ;)

OldeWolf
12-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Take her to a pet store that carries "exotic" pets. Walk around and hold anything she deems cute (ferrets, chinchillas, hedgehogs, rabbits, sugar gliders) up to her face, and wait for possible allergic reaction. Buy whatever's cutest and doesn't give her hives. :)

Oh, I can imagine:

Seconds out: "Lets go to the exotic pet store!"
Girlfriend: "Sure"
*Goes to Exotic pet store*
Seconds out: "Here, here try a cat, they said it's hypoallergenic cat"
Girlfriend: *Handles ca-breaks out in hives!* "Ahh!"
Seconds out: *Breaks out epi pen and jabs her* "Sorry, wrong cat :D"
Girlfriend: "What the hell!-"
Seconds out: "Try the Ferret!" *Holds epi pen eagerly*

http://www.xentales.com/images/smilies/icon_santa.gif

Purple Santa
12-22-2008, 09:30 AM

Well that's cheap really. Is your gf a little high maintenance perhaps? :p

fitbabits
12-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Well that's cheap really. Is your gf a little high maintenance perhaps? :p
Actually, I'd posit that Seconds Out is the high maintenance one. ;)

Shamrock Jimmy
12-22-2008, 08:40 PM

That is exactly what I was going too suggest.

Disgustipated
12-22-2008, 08:43 PM
http://www.warrenellis.com/?p=6621

NSFW

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3004/2948410298_9ab5aeb089_o.gif

Seconds Out
12-22-2008, 09:17 PM

I've tried that. Saw a Ball Python that was awesome, she seemed to really like it.... until I said lets bring him home. She shot that down with the quickness.

Seconds Out
12-22-2008, 09:21 PM
Well that's cheap really. Is your gf a little high maintenance perhaps? :p.

Naah, she's not high maitenance, I have no problem with what it cost actually. I'm actually more high maitenance than she is when it comes to clothes.

Purple Santa
12-24-2008, 05:36 PM
Well then, we want to see your next shopping spree bill :)