PDA

View Full Version : Bush gets an early christmas present

Dorkandproudofit
12-14-2008, 09:24 PM
Actually, he got two. Some reporter at a press conference threw a couple of shoes at him. But the best part is what he said in arabic as he threw them:

Here's a farewell kiss, you dog!

http://news.aol.com/article/man-throws-two-shoes-at-bush-in-iraq/241945?icid=200100397x1214688379x1200931830

NOTE: This is not intended as a P&R thread. I just thought this was funny as hell.

Psykoboy2
12-14-2008, 09:29 PM
http://i36.tinypic.com/i76j39.gif

maharahaj
12-14-2008, 09:31 PM
"He dodged that shit like the matrix!"

Psykoboy2
12-14-2008, 09:38 PM
g3NaIumIe2Q

Doctor Setebos
12-14-2008, 09:40 PM
Love the QTE image, Scott. That sure was quick to make an appearance. :)

LongStepMantis
12-14-2008, 09:50 PM

That's one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. Thanks!

Bush has mad QTE skills.

TheSilentDeath
12-14-2008, 10:04 PM

Now only if he had gotten hit with one of the shoes. That would've been a great failed QTE.

So is Bush now like the only President to have to dodge a shoe thrown by someone?

divinechaos
12-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Say what you want about the man but he has some cat-like reflexes. If it wasn't for the whole "I'm gonna fuck up the world" thing I'd hang out with that guy.

Blue
12-14-2008, 10:17 PM
That was awesome. Not the fact that someone tried to hit him with a shoe but the fact that he's still got some moves. Heck, I'm pretty sure that had it been me, I would have ended up with a face full of sole.

And the QTE ruled.

Shamrock Jimmy
12-14-2008, 10:20 PM
I know for a fact that I can't dodge a shoe being thrown at my face (yes, I got hit in the face with a shoe once).

Lint of Death
12-14-2008, 10:26 PM
I'm surprised security was lax enough to let him throw BOTH SHOES.

Generation ABXY
12-14-2008, 10:27 PM
Shame it had to happen, but, yes, the man dodged that like a pro. Really, I don't think either being hit by it or ducking is much of choice - now, if he had caught it and chucked it right back at the dude, then I'd be surprised if his approval rating didn't shoot back up. Still, the QTE one was pretty damn funny. :D

Also, I don't think the man has really fucked up the world, but I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter how melodramatic I may consider it.

Ludoc
12-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Who throws a shoe? Honestly?
5D5oKEVqQJg

Epix
12-14-2008, 10:43 PM
That was a good dodge.

And I would have thought that the guy would have been stopped after one shoe, though I guess no one is expecting someone to throw a shoe.

Jeffool
12-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Note how al-Maliki barely even flinches the first time? Dude even tries to grab it the second time. Both of these cats had some pretty good reactions. I would've gotten hit and cried. :(

Tron
12-14-2008, 10:51 PM
All that was missing was "Don't taze me bro!"

Sandman
12-14-2008, 10:53 PM
+1 to G. W. for making me laugh.

LongStepMantis
12-14-2008, 10:54 PM
That was a good dodge.

And I would have thought that the guy would have been stopped after one shoe, though I guess no one is expecting someone to throw a shoe.

Note how al-Maliki barely even flinches the first time? Dude even tries to grab it the second time. Both of these cats had some pretty good reactions. I would've gotten hit and cried. :(

The more I watch it, the more I think those two are hardcore.
Seriously, Bush not only matrix dodges the first shoe but he's back at full upright standing position a split-second later.

His shoe-style was strong, but their public speaking style shall defeat it.

Given that they were in Iraq, I'm betting they were just relieved his shoe didn't explode.

Generation ABXY
12-14-2008, 10:57 PM
Given that they were in Iraq, I'm betting they were just relieved his shoe didn't explode.

Honestly, that's what I would have expected, that's why I'm amazed they didn't whisk away the president and/or shoot the shoe-er.

jeffbax
12-14-2008, 10:58 PM
Say what you want about the man but he has some cat-like reflexes. If it wasn't for the whole "I'm gonna fuck up the world" thing I'd hang out with that guy.

I wonder if the reflexes are because he's so on edge for fucking things up so horrendously.

Wasson_
12-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Shoes!? Please.
2wRdKGgnd9Y

LongStepMantis
12-14-2008, 11:08 PM
That was pretty funny, but it would have been epic if they had buzzed his head with the flying dildo as he was speaking.

KingGorilla
12-14-2008, 11:23 PM
I believe there was a second thrower, look hoe his head goes back...and to the right; back....and to the right; back...and to the right.

mister slim
12-14-2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah, I saw a second shooter on the grassy knoll.

ShivaX
12-15-2008, 12:23 AM

Isn't that how he got elected?

Honestly, that's what I would have expected, that's why I'm amazed they didn't whisk away the president and/or shoot the shoe-er.

Actually if you watch the full footage one of his people comes over to Bush like hes going to take him away, but Bush shoos him off and plays it cool. I'm not a fan of the man, but hes got good reflexes and remained pretty calm and collected about the whole thing.

Karak
12-15-2008, 12:27 AM
Seriously I have not laughed like that for as long as that in decades. Neogaf has some of the best gifs of this mixed with CSI miami.
This.
http://i35.tinypic.com/n2gwma.jpg

I love the 3rd frame with the 2nd pair of sunglasses...fucking epic

Sandman
12-15-2008, 12:35 AM
Seriously I have not laughed like that for as long as that in decades. Neogaf has some of the best gifs of this mixed with CSI miami.
This.
http://i35.tinypic.com/n2gwma.jpg

I love the 3rd frame with the 2nd pair of sunglasses...fucking epic

That guy needs a new concerned look. He does frame 3 about 20 times every episode.

Wasson_
12-15-2008, 12:37 AM
I believe there was a second thrower, look hoe his head goes back...and to the right; back....and to the right; back...and to the right.

we're through the looking glass here people...

Lint of Death
12-15-2008, 12:43 AM
Who throws a shoe? Honestly?
5D5oKEVqQJg

Awesome!!! Ah, memories :)

Everyone vs Dinosaurs
12-15-2008, 01:04 AM
That was sweet! Bush has the moves.

Generation ABXY
12-15-2008, 01:08 AM
I hope we can all agree to put this down among Bush's presidential achievements. Just after "showed Africa the love," I want "totally Matrixed a fucking loafer." Make a note.

Deadend
12-15-2008, 01:09 AM
That's pretty fucking unprofessional.

Whunpo
12-15-2008, 01:10 AM
If I could say one thing positive about this presidency I would say that it was full of some great lulz.

cassiusregicide
12-15-2008, 02:03 AM
That was a good dodge.

Nobody wants a single shoe. Once he got rid of one, he might as well chuck the other one as well.:)

Bush really made it look like he does that sort of thing every day. If only he was giving a speech and didn't even miss a word. That would have been epic.

Narradisall
12-15-2008, 07:19 AM
lol.

That was an epic dodge.

I'm surprised the secret service weren't quicker!

Raen
12-15-2008, 07:31 AM
That was awesome! I'd love to see him in a fight with John Prescott (for those of you who don't know he's the former British Deputy PM who once punched a man for egging him).

Ink Asylum
12-15-2008, 10:24 AM
That QTE gif is hilarious.

I know it's the wrong thing to say, but I'm really disappointed that the shoe didn't hit him full on in the face. I don't want him to be hurt, just gobsmacked.

National Kato
12-15-2008, 10:36 AM
That was an epic dodge.

Nah. He was much better during the Vietnam War. *rimshot*

Ink Asylum
12-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Hey-ooooo!

TheEpicOfTyler
12-15-2008, 11:00 AM
http://i33.tinypic.com/2vxq3v9.gif

Rock Bandit
12-15-2008, 11:03 AM
http://i37.tinypic.com/in7dw6.jpg

Ink Asylum
12-15-2008, 11:50 AM
More gif awesome. :D Thank you, random Iraqi journalist, for providing us with one of the funniest clips of Bush before he leaves office.

Lint of Death
12-15-2008, 12:15 PM
I rate this thread FIVE STARS.

Generation ABXY
12-15-2008, 12:18 PM
I know it's the wrong thing to say, but I'm really disappointed that the shoe didn't hit him full on in the face. I don't want him to be hurt, just gobsmacked.

You know, I find that incredibly fucked up.

LongStepMantis
12-15-2008, 12:22 PM
He missed an opportunity to really boost his ratings with the public.

He should have caught the shoe and then ran out and beat the guy with it.
Rednecks the world over would be firing shotguns in the air celebrating his glory, then beating their wives...they do that regardless of the situation.

Variable Gear
12-15-2008, 12:25 PM
You know, I find that incredibly fucked up.
Honestly, I wish both shoes would have hit him head-on.

Generation ABXY
12-15-2008, 12:34 PM
Honestly, I wish both shoes would have hit him head-on.

Politics stops at the water's edge, Variable. Remember that. When it comes to presenting an image to the outside world, we must look united and strong; hoping your president gets hit in the head with a shoe - or him actually getting hit - when he is in a foreign nation doesn't help anyone.

Ink Asylum
12-15-2008, 12:48 PM
Politics stops at the water's edge, Variable. Remember that. When it comes to presenting an image to the outside world, we must look united and strong; hoping your president gets hit in the head with a shoe - or him actually getting hit - when he is in a foreign nation doesn't help anyone.

I wish I could be a better man about this, but I just can't. I recognize him as our President and respect the office, but detest the man. After all he has done in his eight years, all the lives he has ruined both here and in Iraq, a shoe to the face is the least he deserves. And the Iraqis especially deserve to throw whatever they like at him.

We showed our united front and elected a better man to follow him, he's now little more than a figurehead and most Americans wish he would just leave already.

carnage11
12-15-2008, 01:07 PM
I kinda feel bad for the guy. Sure bad things were done, in reality, he was just a puppet. He's certainly not intelligent enough to think up anything that was done, including Iraq and 9/11. Either way, with this and the other video where he wasn't getting his hand shook by anyone. It's just like, I dunno, I feel bad.
It seems like every where he goes for the rest of his life, he's gonna have to worry about getting flogged with slippers.

TheFlyingOrc
12-15-2008, 01:16 PM
I kinda feel bad for the guy. Sure bad things were done, in reality, he was just a puppet. He's certainly not intelligent enough to think up anything that was done, including Iraq and 9/11. Either way, with this and the other video where he wasn't getting his hand shook by anyone. It's just like, I dunno, I feel bad.
It seems like every where he goes for the rest of his life, he's gonna have to worry about getting flogged with slippers.

Happened to Truman, too. Happens to all unpopular presidents. The best he can do is try to pull a Carter and do humanitarian work and maybe write a book.

Ink Asylum
12-15-2008, 01:21 PM

A well deserved fate, if you ask me. If he does pull a Carter he'll have to work like a dog to come even close to countering the bad karma he's built up during his presidency.

Generation ABXY
12-15-2008, 01:25 PM
I wish I could be a better man about this, but I just can't. I recognize him as our President and respect the office, but detest the man. After all he has done in his eight years, all the lives he has ruined both here and in Iraq, a shoe to the face is the least he deserves. And the Iraqis especially deserve to throw whatever they like at him.

We showed our united front and elected a better man to follow him, he's now little more than a figurehead and most Americans wish he would just leave already.

I donít particularly respect or agree with it, but that is your decision to make.

IIRC, that wasn't as bad as the MSM made it out to be, as the dude welcomed all those people and shook their hands earlier.

Talon
12-15-2008, 01:29 PM
IIRC, that wasn't as bad as the MSM made it out to be, as the dude welcomed all those people and shook their hands earlier.

What are you talking about? The articles I've read about the incident have gone to extreme lengths to talk about how those in attendance, Iraqi press, foreign press, etc. apologized profusely for the incident.

Generation ABXY
12-15-2008, 01:43 PM
What are you talking about? The articles I've read about the incident have gone to extreme lengths to talk about how those in attendance, Iraqi press, foreign press, etc. apologized profusely for the incident.

The U.N. thing? Odd. Well, feel free to toss up a link; I've been known to be wrong in the past.

Sl1pstream
12-15-2008, 01:55 PM

Did you actually laugh while trying to type this?

While I get your point, I think you're being way too serious about this.

Generation ABXY
12-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Did you actually laugh while trying to type this?

While I get your point, I think you're being way too serious about this.

No. I take my politics very seriously, but I find it a nice alternative to uninvolved and melodramatic, like so many other people are. :p

LongStepMantis
12-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Here's a good one. BBC news has a follow-up article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7783608.stm) about the guy who threw the shoes.
I liked this part, comments from the news organization the man works for:

The Cairo-based al-Baghdadiya TV channel said Mr Zaidi should be freed because he had been exercising freedom of expression - something which the Americans had promised to Iraqis on the ousting of former Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.

So...evidently attempting to assault a head of state unprovoked is considered freedom of expression. So if I punch the editor of their paper I'm in the clear right? I'm just expressing myself. ;)

Generation ABXY
12-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Here's a good one. BBC news has a follow-up article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7783608.stm) about the guy who threw the shoes.
I liked this part, comments from the news organization the man works for:

So...evidently attempting to assault a head of state unprovoked is considered freedom of expression. So if I punch the editor of their paper I'm in the clear right? I'm just expressing myself. ;)

I'm with you. Freedom of expression has its limits, and attempting to physically harm someone is one of them. Now, if he had just stood up and started shouting things without the actual tossing, I'd say, yeah, let him go.

LongStepMantis
12-15-2008, 02:23 PM
I'm with you. Freedom of expression has its limits, and attempting to physically harm someone is one of them. Now, if he had just stood up and started shouting things without the actual tossing, I'd say, yeah, let him go.

Agreed. It's when you add in physical violence that "freedom of expression" becomes criminal assault. Not equal.

I don't like Bush, but I wouldn't hit the guy either.

TheFlyingOrc
12-15-2008, 02:27 PM

I agree. I mean, I might tickle the man until he fell over, but that's all in good fun.

Blast it all, now I have to add "tickle a president" to my list of life goals.

Wellscha
12-15-2008, 02:30 PM
wouldn't it be funnier if it was a pie instead?

LongStepMantis
12-15-2008, 02:30 PM
I agree. I mean, I might tickle the man until he fell over, but that's all in good fun.

Blast it all, now I have to add "tickle a president" to my list of life goals.

Could past presidents count? You could probably get Bill to do it.
Or Reagan if he was alive. He just wouldn't have known what was happening.

Johan
12-15-2008, 02:33 PM
This is just another example of how poorly I fit in with majority-opinions here. I feel so differently from so many of you regarding this "lol-worthy" event, it's quite remarkable (and not worth getting into).

Oh well. We'll always have Paris.

National Kato
12-15-2008, 02:33 PM

I'd kick Cheney in the junk, though.

TheFlyingOrc
12-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Could past presidents count? You could probably get Bill to do it.
Or Reagan if he was alive. He just wouldn't have known what was happening.

I think furiously tickling elderly alzheimer's patients gets you put on the newly invented "13th level of hell".

LongStepMantis
12-15-2008, 02:42 PM
I think furiously tickling elderly alzheimer's patients gets you put on the newly invented "13th level of hell".

No harm no foul right? He wouldn't remember it had even happened 5 seconds later. ;)

I'd kick Cheney in the junk, though.

Somehow, for some reason, I think it would only make him stronger.

VerseD
12-15-2008, 03:30 PM
I heard that getting hit with a shoe is the worst insult in Iraq, sort of like slapping someone with your glove in old-timey Europe. I like Bush's response: ďAll I can report is it is a size 10.Ē

That's the kind of image I want to project to the rest of the world: Unquestioning loyalty to an unpopular president.

Generation ABXY
12-15-2008, 04:10 PM
That's the kind of image I want to project to the rest of the world: Unquestioning loyalty to an unpopular president.

Oh, I'm sorry. I wouldn't want you to do anything unpopular. Christ, than the cool kids might not sit with you at lunch!

National Kato
12-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. I wouldn't want you to do anything unpopular. Christ, than the cool kids might not sit with you at lunch!

I assume VerseD was being polite by using the term 'unpopular'. I have a few other terms I use when describing G.W.B. :D

DylonCorp
12-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Whoever wins the David Hayter raffle needs to ask for a "Here's a farewell kiss, you dog!" voicemail message.

shunoshi
12-15-2008, 04:31 PM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l175/shunoshi/bushshoe.jpg

MagGnome
12-15-2008, 05:03 PM
I hope we can all agree to put this down among Bush's presidential achievements. Just after "showed Africa the love," I want "totally Matrixed a fucking loafer." Make a note.

Don't forget to add "Dodged the draft", "Former coke head", "fucked up our image abroad", "Started a stupid war under false pretenses", "secured contracts for all his cronies", "made our country a total joke", "brazenly gave the finger to the environment and anyone who didn't agree with him."

I could go on, but the above is justification enough to throw a hundred shoes at this asshole.

MagGnome
12-15-2008, 05:07 PM

Tell that to all of the dead in Iraq, and the widows and orphans they've left behind.

I don't have to respect this asshole one bit. I'd sooner spit in his face then show him an ounce of respect. He doesn't deserve any.

Edit - I shouldn't have even come into this thread. The GIFs are funny, but this clown fills me with such anger that I want to reach through my screen and choke him.

MagGnome
12-15-2008, 05:11 PM
A well deserved fate, if you ask me. If he does pull a Carter he'll have to work like a dog to come even close to countering the bad karma he's built up during his presidency.

Exactly. Anyone who thinks Bush is some innocent puppet should be reminded of what he said at the end of the last G8 conference:

"Goodbye from the world's biggest polluter!" Followed by a fist pump.

Yeah, poor misaligned George. :confused:

Generation ABXY
12-15-2008, 05:15 PM
EDIT: In hindsight, perhaps this response is a bit too serious. As I've said, though, that's how I take politics, so read the enclosed only with that in mind...

Don't forget to add "Dodged the draft", "Former coke head", "fucked up our image abroad", "Started a stupid war under false pretenses", "secured contracts for all his cronies", "made our country a total joke", "brazenly gave the finger to the environment and anyone who didn't agree with him."

I could go on, but the above is justification enough to throw a hundred shoes at this asshole.

How exactly are draft dodging and being a former coke head presidential achievements?

Tell that to all of the dead in Iraq, and the widows and orphans they've left behind.

I don't have to respect this asshole one bit. I'd sooner spit in his face then show him an ounce of respect. He doesn't deserve any.

And I'm not asking you to respect the man, you damned fool. Iím asking you to respect that, as a country, we must stand together in the face of those who would conquer us. Iím asking you to realize, if you can, that that Bush at present represents our nation abroad, and such brazen insults to him and our blasť acceptance of it can indeed put many lives at risk. How emboldened do you think our enemies become when they see that? A nation divided does not have the strength to defend itself. Those are simple ideas, espoused for decades before now and by better men than myself, but they were once the bedrock of our society. Nowadays, the rancor of partisan politics has become so divisive that it is no longer about reaching a compromise we can all get behind, showing solidarity to the world, but only scoring cheap points to win an election.

mister slim
12-15-2008, 06:00 PM
I find it odd that we have to make our president into some sort of godlike figure. Though I suppose the Bushes are the closest thing to a monarchy we've had.

MagGnome
12-15-2008, 06:03 PM
So now I don't like Bush because I'm a partisan? You have no idea which (if any) party I'm even in!

Thanks for calling me a "damn fool" by the way. I always love when people call me names over the Internet. :p

I don't respect George W. Bush, period. I also don't think that puts us as a country in any danger. I think that's quite a load of bullshit actually. "Respect the man no matter what, otherwise the terrorists might blow us up!" That's exactly the kind of crap myself and others have had to put up with for the last eight years, and I've been sick of it since the summer of 2002. Fuck that fear mongering bullshit.

BlackPete
12-15-2008, 06:16 PM
I don't respect George W. Bush, period. I also don't think that puts us as a country in any danger. I think that's quite a load of bullshit actually. "Respect the man no matter what, otherwise the terrorists might blow us up!" That's exactly the kind of crap myself and others have had to put up with for the last eight years, and I've been sick of it since the summer of 2002. Fuck that fear mongering bullshit.

There's an easier and shorter reply if you get into a conversation like this: I'll respect the man who respects the office.

Short 'n' sweet, and sums it up.

Generation ABXY
12-15-2008, 06:37 PM
So now I don't like Bush because I'm a partisan? You have no idea which (if any) party I'm even in!

You can not like Bush all you like. Hoping other countries likewise hate him - at least enough to pelt him with shoes Ė on the other hand, seems downright foolish. To be clear, though, I never said you hated him because you were partisan. I said, nowadays, people are so interested in scoring cheap political points that they have verye little interest in reaching a compromise, compromises that allow us to stand together.

Thanks for calling me a "damn fool" by the way. I always love when people call me names over the Internet. :p

I meant it in the best possible way.

Again, I didn't say you had to respect him. Hoping other countries don't is something else altogether. For example, I don't like Obama, but I'm certainly not hoping other countries are going to despise the man either. I rather hope the next 4-8 years are great and he fixes everythig.

MagGnome
12-15-2008, 06:47 PM
There's an easier and shorter reply if you get into a conversation like this: I'll respect the man who respects the office.

Short 'n' sweet, and sums it up.

I should have gone with this, thank you.

You can not like Bush all you like. Hoping other countries likewise hate him - at least enough to pelt him with shoes Ė on the other hand, seems downright foolish. To be clear, though, I never said you hated him because you were partisan. I said, nowadays, people are so interested in scoring cheap political points that they have verye little interest in reaching a compromise, compromises that allow us to stand together.

I don't have to hope for anything. Bush isn't exactly hailed and cheered when he travels abroad. ;)

Variable Gear
12-15-2008, 08:25 PM
I love this post. You're simultaneously suggesting that my reaction inspires people to disrespect one of the most hated people in the world and that I don't appear "united and strong" by refusing to support the current administration. One, Bush doesn't need any help in terms of being a jackass. It's his job. Two, I'm not sure why I should do anything to support the current administration, considering the cutbacks on civil rights and the increase in world destabilization that has occurred during its reign.

LongStepMantis
12-15-2008, 08:29 PM
He can't be that hated. I mean, the guy basically gave him free shoes. Thanks!
;)

Generation ABXY
12-15-2008, 08:43 PM
I love this post. You're simultaneously suggesting that my reaction inspires people to disrespect one of the most hated people in the world and that I don't appear "united and strong" by refusing to support the current administration. One, Bush doesn't need any help in terms of being a jackass. It's his job. Two, I'm not sure why I should do anything to support the current administration, considering the cutbacks on civil rights and the increase in world destabilization that has occurred during its reign.

I aim to please.

Variable Gear
12-15-2008, 08:46 PM
I aim to please.
Well, you're pretty consistent...except for that one night... :o

MagGnome
12-15-2008, 09:25 PM

:eek:

You too? He told me that it had never happened before!

Everyone vs Dinosaurs
12-15-2008, 09:29 PM
I hope this hasn't been posted, but

http://blog.zanorg.com/index.php?perm=370

Lint of Death
12-15-2008, 10:14 PM
I hope this hasn't been posted, but

http://blog.zanorg.com/index.php?perm=370

48.13 first time. Bahahahaha

Generation ABXY
12-15-2008, 11:13 PM
48.13 first time. Bahahahaha

Second time: 49.11 - then they just start going so fast. :(

:eek:

You too? He told me that it had never happened before!

I hate you both. -_-

Johan
12-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Second time: 49.11 - then they just start going so fast. :(

49.6, and I only moved him ONCE. I pushed him all the way to the right and just watched. :D

Generation ABXY
12-15-2008, 11:21 PM
49.6, and I only moved him ONCE. I pushed him all the way to the right and just watched. :D

That's what I did near the end of my second time (and I got hit that one final time there). Did it turn it to a machine gun of shoes for you, too?

Johan
12-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Did it turn it to a machine gun of shoes for you, too?

It sure did...like Dancing with the Stars on methamphetamine.

Everyone vs Dinosaurs
12-15-2008, 11:28 PM
I never tried that strategy! Must do it now!

Ox
12-15-2008, 11:33 PM
I don't have to hope for anything. Bush isn't exactly hailed and cheered when he travels abroad. ;)
Actually, that depends. Although most people in most countries (and, I guess, in the countries that "count") don't like him, he has interesting pockets of support. Slovakia (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/02/23/world/main675821.shtml), for example, seems to like him. Lithuania and Romania (http://www.roembus.org/english/news/international_media/2002/kcs_24-11-2002.htm) seem to have been polite to him. It's obviously old now, but in 2004, large majorities (http://www.worldpublicopinion.org/pipa/articles/views_on_countriesregions_bt/117.php?lb=brglm&pnt=117&nid=&id=) of Indians and Filipinos were happy about Bush's re-election. The Japanese refuse even to answer the question. It would be interesting to discuss why, say, France and India have such radically different views on Bush, but (a) that's a topic for another thread, and (b) I'm reasonably certain it would degenerate into calling all the citizens of a particular country morons.

Johan
12-15-2008, 11:39 PM
I'm reasonably certain it would degenerate into calling all the citizens of a particular country morons.

I was under the impression that we could already assume most Americans were/are morons, therefore I do believe that either nobody will notice the degeneration of the discussion regarding which of the aforementioned national entities you listed would be considered morons, or nobody will be able to figure out where any of those countries is located, and the argument will revolve around whether any of them are American territories or states.

I don't know that I'm kidding, either.

VerseD
12-15-2008, 11:58 PM
And I'm not asking you to respect the man, you damned fool. Iím asking you to respect that, as a country, we must stand together in the face of those who would conquer us. Iím asking you to realize, if you can, that that Bush at present represents our nation abroad, and such brazen insults to him and our blasť acceptance of it can indeed put many lives at risk. How emboldened do you think our enemies become when they see that?

You have a very authoritarian view of democracy.

It would be interesting to discuss why, say, France and India have such radically different views on Bush, but (a) that's a topic for another thread, and (b) I'm reasonably certain it would degenerate into calling all the citizens of a particular country morons.

It's probably pretty easy to trace: What have they gotten out of Bush? Iraq got bombs and upheaval from Bush, and Bush got a shoe in return, courtesy of "the widows and the orphans." Opinions in India and France are probably much more subtle, and much more rooted in local concerns. For example, Bush received a ton of flack from India this year when he blamed that country for food shortages.

Generation ABXY
12-16-2008, 12:11 AM
You have a very authoritarian view of democracy.

I'm not sure I follow, but I suppose the lines can blur easy. All the more reason for a small government, I say.

bean
12-16-2008, 12:23 AM
It would be interesting to discuss why, say, France and India have such radically different views on Bush, but (a) that's a topic for another thread, and (b) I'm reasonably certain it would degenerate into calling all the citizens of a particular country morons.
Polling and the current news in the region. For the most part, people throughout the world are as ignorant about world politics and news as US citizens.

You are in the top 5% of our country (probably higher) in world news knowledge, but what can you tell me about India's Rashtrapati Pratibha Patil off-hand. . . without looking it up? All I can tell you is that she is the first female Indian president, and I only know that because it came up in a discussion I had with a feminist student at college. I guess I also know that she is the twelfth Rashtrapati of India compared to our nation's 43 presidencies (44 with Obama).

Now, if she made the news because she signed a trade deal with the US last week that will create many new jobs, and I was asked for my response to this story, I'd say that's great. Then that's all I'd remember about her. She'd be that cool Indian Rashtrapati to me until she did something big enough to make world news and garner my attention (like invading Burma or slaughtering Muslims).

The "world's opinion" is not really about what the populace of other countries think so much as what the leaders think. We need the other world leaders to be able to trust our President's word, and, hopefully, to believe in any actions our country decides to engage in so that we can receive support rather than paying for the whole damn thing ourselves (Afghanistan vs. Iraq).

The opinions of the populace of other countries is not unimportant though. This is our country's "branding". Bush hurt the US brand by:

1. Endorsing the use of torture for interrogation and when facing public scrutiny for this decision, his administration fussed about what constitutes torture and what does not. . . clearly intending to continue using any officially sanctioned torture methods.

Obviously, when fighting terrorists, if there is a clear threat, someone is going to use whatever methods are available to save lives. . . and they might go to jail for it (or lose their rank) . . . if it gets reported and if they weren't acquitted by a jury or court marshal. The problem was the wide-spread humiliation torture methods used like buckshot with no known immediate threat showed off that we weren't using highly specific torture against enemy operatives. Nope, we were just fucking with people for the cruel joy of it, and then the administration starts pissing and moaning about what is an acceptable amount of torture instead of coming down hard on it (while looking the other way in cases that are attempting to stop an immediate threat).

2. Imprisonment of suspected terrorists that does not follow US law or military law for the imprisonment of enemy combatants. While this may have increased national security, we held people in prison for years without trial or the right of law. The impact is that we appear to be a crazy despotic government that does not follow it's own rules.

3. Starting the war in Iraq over WMDs that were not found and the quite often used rhetoric (later abandoned) that we were invading Iraq as part of the "war on terror". The unclear reasoning, the fact that no WMDs were found, and the possible motivator of securing a foothold in the Middle East to secure our oil interests combine to make our actions in times of war seem bumbling and self-defeating.

carnage11
12-16-2008, 12:42 AM
what can you tell me about India's Rashtrapati Pratibha Patil off-hand. . .

I'd like to hear someone simply say her name.....wow....that's quite the mouthful.:p

muddi900
12-16-2008, 01:12 AM
what I don't get is that why is bush only blamed for the Iraq war? Most people here were screaming "freedom fries" and "fuck the french" back in 2003. Its not like USA is monarchy where the government can do anything they want. There were many dissenting voices, both inside and outside country, but neither the media(the real media, not fox news), nor the people gave a fuck about it.

I don't want to sound harsh, but the people were in pain and they wanted blood. Bush delivered

ShivaX
12-16-2008, 03:31 AM
what I don't get is that why is bush only blamed for the Iraq war? Most people here were screaming "freedom fries" and "fuck the french" back in 2003. Its not like USA is monarchy where the government can do anything they want. There were many dissenting voices, both inside and outside country, but neither the media(the real media, not fox news), nor the people gave a fuck about it.

I don't want to sound harsh, but the people were in pain and they wanted blood. Bush delivered

The media is definately to blame as well. They didn't do their jobs. They're making up for it now, but at the time they were yes-men like everyone else.

The reason Bush gets blamed is that, unlike the rest of us, he and the administration had all the actual intel and whatnot. Once things started coming out about the run up to the Iraq war it became very obvious that they had decided to go to war no matter what the reality was. I mean the entire premise for going to war is basically the words of one man, who the Germans questioned. We read the transcripts and took it as fact, dispite the mountains of evidence that said otherwise. The man said what the administration wanted to hear so they ran with it.

muddi900
12-16-2008, 04:10 AM
There were numerous signs, both local and foreign that the american government isn't being honest. The american people chose to ignore

I think this discission ia too seriois for this thread

pseudopseudo
12-16-2008, 05:54 AM
Yo, can we get back to funny gifs of the president having various objects thrown at him? Please?

Johan
12-16-2008, 06:57 AM
There were numerous signs, both local and foreign that the american government isn't being honest. The american people chose to ignore.

Visions of Mumbai, and Pakistani denials, flitter through my head...glass houses and all, you know.

Crowe
12-16-2008, 07:57 AM
Wow G.W has some slick moves. Very impressed with his fast reaction.

axion
12-16-2008, 08:18 AM
Yo, can we get back to funny gifs of the president having various objects thrown at him? Please?

http://www.boingboing.net/images/x_2008/iraqimage007.gif

Ink Asylum
12-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Bush: What are you trying to tell me? That I can dodge shoes?
Cheney: No, Bush. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.

QueQueg
12-16-2008, 09:37 AM
http://www.boingboing.net/images/x_2008/iraqimage001.gif

H.Bogard
12-17-2008, 12:15 AM
Visions of Mumbai, and Pakistani denials, flitter through my head...glass houses and all, you know.

Speaking of glass houses... :p

Dorkandproudofit
12-17-2008, 02:24 AM
I specifically said that this thread was NOT for political debating. Fits, could you please delete all posts in this thread that involve political arguments? Also, we need more funny Bush/shoe pics.

bean
12-18-2008, 07:13 PM
what I don't get is that why is bush only blamed for the Iraq war? Most people here were screaming "freedom fries" and "fuck the french" back in 2003. . . I don't want to sound harsh, but the people were in pain and they wanted blood. Bush delivered

A lot of those people have figured out that they were wrong. . . and they also found out that there was weak intelligence about WMDs. They showed support for what was presented as a tough decision to invade a hostile country in the possession of devastating weaponry.

We should and did show support based off the fact that we felt that his administration was competent and was interested in the welfare of the American people. Unfortunately, at every turn, the incompetency of President Bush and his administration cost us dearly.

Bad intelligence (No WMDs)
Zero Diplomacy. . . not a poor showing of diplomacy, but a complete abandonment of diplomacy.
No clear goals were set for what constituted a victory. . . could have been a much smaller and more direct operation.
Even after Baghdad was taken, we "lost the peace" by committing atrocities and once again not having a clear plan.
No exit strategy. . . forget the rhetoric about "giving up". An exit strategy is a plan for winning.
I've already written at length how the administration so poorly handled the torture, and how prisoners being held in Guantanamo Bay were held without the protections of citizens, illegals, or even combatants under the rules of war.

Bush did a terrible job, and people have responded to that with the way they've voted. . . which is one of the problems with democracy and the two party system. There are a lot of people who still believe strongly in the Republican platform, but many of them voted for Obama and other Democrats simply because they think of Bush as synonymous with Republican. Gore had the same problem with Clinton. . . people felt Clinton behaved without morals and because the GOP cleverly made the election about values and the culture war, they were able to win (well, with the help of Florida's Attorney General and SCOTUS).

Johan
12-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Speaking of glass houses... :p

Yes indeed; one of us, however, wasn't lecturing the other about the other's government.

There were numerous signs, both local and foreign that the american government isn't being honest. The american people chose to ignore.

Now, if you'd please take your peanut butter out of my chocolate, you can go back to your broken glass house, and I can go back to mine. Watch your step, or wear well-soled shoes! I'll do the same. :D

Zonkuya
12-18-2008, 08:52 PM
Bush: What are you trying to tell me? That I can dodge shoes?
Cheney: No, Bush. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.

There's probably a line in there about Rove being the "Architect" but I'm too lazy to figure it out. I LoL'd, tho. :D