PDA

View Full Version : I Know People are Idiots...

Aggort
12-09-2008, 05:46 PM
... but people who do this are fucking retarded. (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/08/technology/internet/08virtual.html?_r=1&ref=technology)

I may be able to understand it if the item actually gains you something in a game, say armor in an MMO. But when the item is completely for show, that's a whole other low. Let alone this article talks about online and real life popularity. Shit, I wasn't even "cool" in school I can't imagine if I had to struggle being unpopular in a virtual world. This article made me sick from beginning to end.

BlackScarab
12-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Welcome to the general stupidity of the American people. I'm still honestly surprised that we elected a black man as president. Maybe we're only stupid when it comes to certain things.

KamaItachi
12-09-2008, 05:56 PM
It is talking with movie studios about licensing rights to characters like Ferris Bueller and with sports leagues for the rights to jerseys.

What, seriously? I'm sure by this stage anyone old enough to remember Ferris Bueller is too old to be playing Gaia Online.

KingGorilla
12-09-2008, 05:58 PM
People spend money on dumb shit. Want me to tell you what an Indulgence is?

Wasson_
12-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Welcome to the general stupidity of the American people. I'm still honestly surprised that we elected a black man as president. Maybe we're only stupid when it comes to certain things.

Yes because all Americans are teenage girls and sissy emo kids...??

QueQueg
12-09-2008, 06:04 PM
This isn't new. There was a site about 5 years ago that let users buy "bling" to give to other users. The "bling" in question was various stupid-ass gifs of shit like 40s, glocks, grills, boobs, cars, etc. But when I say buy, I don't mean actually purchase, I mean you pay real money so that you can give a gif to another user of the site. "Give" is a strong word... since you're just putting a link to an image on their stupid profile. It was the most ridiculous thing I'd ever heard of, and I was just sorry I hadn't thought of it first.

The owners of the site were making 50 G's a month selling pixels to idiots.

biosc1
12-09-2008, 06:05 PM
Welcome to the general stupidity of the American people.

As a Canadian, I would like to expand this comment to more than just American people. Dumb people worldwide will do dumb stuff.

Stoke
12-09-2008, 06:07 PM
What, seriously? I'm sure by this stage anyone old enough to remember Ferris Bueller is too old to be playing Gaia Online.

I don't know, we had a presentation to do in one of my classes this year (I'm in college) and one of the guys pretty much forced his group to do Gaia Online. He apparently spends a lot of time on the site and he spent about 20 minutes telling us how awesome it is. Incredibly intelligent guy but just not clued in on the real world. We all wore button ups and slacks and such, he did his in a t-shirt, jeans, and a cape.

Even though I say all this, I'm perfectly fine with him spending however much he wants on virtual clothes. Am I really gaining more tangible benefits when I buy a game? Or if I bought one of those 360 dashboard themes?

ClannerDelta
12-09-2008, 06:45 PM
This isn't new. People spend money in retarded ways all the time. Not just nerds, dweebs, and geeks.

When I was in highschool people would buy jeans... with holes in the knees. They would literally pay more money for a pair of jeans with holes in them than a perfectly good pair of jeans.

$100+ for special bongs, "rimz" for their shitty car, $50 case for their burned CD collection, etc.

Women are now paying to get their hymen restored...

People will spend their money in ridiculous ways to fit in. Don't try to analyze it, don't try to understand it, just spend your money how you see fit and ignore them entirely.

Codicier
12-09-2008, 07:19 PM
This isn't new. People spend money in retarded ways all the time. Not just nerds, dweebs, and geeks.

When I was in highschool people would buy jeans... with holes in the knees. They would literally pay more money for a pair of jeans with holes in them than a perfectly good pair of jeans.

$100+ for special bongs, "rimz" for their shitty car, $50 case for their burned CD collection, etc.

People will spend their money in ridiculous ways to fit in. Don't try to analyze it, don't try to understand it, just spend your money how you see fit and ignore them entirely.

I always rag on my cousin for owning pre-worn jeans.

EDIT: I need to start a company selling this virtual shit to idiots. It pure goddamn profit.

J Arcane
12-10-2008, 01:18 AM
You realize this whole concept and trend started in Asia and Finland, right?

squirrelTactics
12-10-2008, 01:20 AM
You realize this whole concept and trend started in Asia and Finland, right?

http://www.joystiq.com/media/2008/01/oh-snap-chart-.jpg

Variable Gear
12-10-2008, 01:23 AM
Honestly, the practice makes sense. Many of the games that allow such RMT are also free to play, meaning that users aren't down any cash for playing the game. Any money they want to spend customizing a virtual character is fine by me. :o

BLeeP
12-10-2008, 01:35 AM
I don't know, we had a presentation to do in one of my classes this year (I'm in college) and one of the guys pretty much forced his group to do Gaia Online. He apparently spends a lot of time on the site and he spent about 20 minutes telling us how awesome it is. Incredibly intelligent guy but just not clued in on the real world. We all wore button ups and slacks and such, he did his in a t-shirt, jeans, and a cape.

This guy sounds amazing.

I don't really see the problem with spending real money on virtual items. Then again, I play video games. None of that stuff is real.

Nura
12-10-2008, 01:48 AM
I always rag on my cousin for owning pre-worn jeans.

EDIT: I need to start a company selling this virtual shit to idiots. It pure goddamn profit.

Oh! i got it! how about, pre-worn.. Virtual shit! you'll make a fortune!

Ghost Rider
12-10-2008, 04:25 AM
I guess there will always be people with money to throw away, I for one think it's pointless.

Ink Asylum
12-10-2008, 10:38 AM

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I refuse, on general principle, to buy anything that looks like it's been worn for a few years, especially if it's clearly manufactured wear that looks the same on every similar article.

Goronmon
12-10-2008, 10:44 AM
I may be able to understand it if the item actually gains you something in a game, say armor in an MMO. But when the item is completely for show, that's a whole other low.I find it humorous that you think there is much of a difference. :p

Dukefrukem
12-10-2008, 10:46 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about WoW.

Telefrog
12-10-2008, 11:00 AM
I thought this thread was going to be about WoW.

In a way it is. ;)

TheFlyingOrc
12-10-2008, 11:00 AM

Electing a black man makes us smart?

Goronmon
12-10-2008, 11:05 AM
Electing a black man makes us smart?Hey, he states it up front. Americans are stupid. ;)

Aggort
12-10-2008, 06:18 PM

If you're over 21 and on Gaia I think there is certainly some issues. Sure you may legitimately enjoy Manga or Anime, that's fine. But some of the posts I have seen on Gaia are to the point where you really wonder how there hasn't been a pedophile epidemic there. But that's a preference of opinion and I know people my age that go that only involve themselves with others there age. I know a while ago the site had a controversy of whether or not to split the age groups, but when they saw so many bypass it on Facebook and Myspace they did away with the idea. I have a nephew who loves the site and sometimes I can't help but wonder how anyone with a brain would want to deal with kids like him. Regardless, for kids that age parents are the ones who have to be paying for this stupid shit, so lack of the brains falls on them. Then again buying a virtual good for a doll rather than buying something physical for a doll is the same thing. It's just buying something useless either way.

Even though I say all this, I'm perfectly fine with him spending however much he wants on virtual clothes. Am I really gaining more tangible benefits when I buy a game? Or if I bought one of those 360 dashboard themes?

You're paying for entertainment when you buy a game. I guess in a sense these kids gain entertainment from these items, but most do it for a fake popularity, which to me, just seems very unhealthy. Personally I'd never buy a theme either, but I guess the difference there is everyone sees your avatar, so it appears cool to someone, not just your personality, where as when you buy a theme it'd be for your eyes only and perhaps represent your personality. Paying for a theme is almost exactly the same, but paying for a game, at least you get interactivity and an actual value out of it. How does one price pixels? I mean I could definitely whip up some pretty pixel confections, hell maybe I should ;)

Eh, it's still fun to poke fun at their stupidity, but I think it's the fact that these are just dots on a screen, which just makes it absurd, they literally have no monetary value after being purchased and does no one no good once the fad ends. Everything you listed can at least be used again (hymen joke not intended) or used for another purpose or at least used for the function that they should be used in. But you are right we should probably just let them spend their money however they wish and laugh when they are low on cash because they spent it on pixels.

I find it humorous that you think there is much of a difference. :p

I know it's ridiculous. I say that there is because at least one of them actually does something in the game. Both are completely stupid, but one just sits and looks pretty the other at least gives an advantage.

As much as I disagree with it all, I can imagine a new site to rival Gaia and other coming out and charging a monthly fee that lets you create your own objects and then possibly sell them to pay for the monthly fee. It would have it's own market within the site, and creativity, imagination, and skill would ultimately be the deciding factor in who would be raking in the cash.

Bone
12-10-2008, 06:54 PM
This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I refuse, on general principle, to buy anything that looks like it's been worn for a few years, especially if it's clearly manufactured wear that looks the same on every similar article.I personally like some of the pre-worn jeans. Not the ones with giant rips, but maybe two or three small worn spots. They don't rip any farther because they're reinforced (the problem with real holes in your jeans is they look cool for about 1 wear, then proceed to unravel completely).

Of course I'm in Austin and that look is kind of cool here.

ClannerDelta
12-10-2008, 06:56 PM
Of course I'm in Austin and that look is kind of cool here.

No, no it's not. It might be common but it's still not cool. :p

Bone
12-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Yes, yes it is cool :)

And not because other people think it is. I've seen it on people, decided I liked it, and got a couple pairs of jeans with some wear in 'em. I think it looks interesting especially for the clothes I wear onstage. Little asymmetric details like that grab the eye, and also look good in band photos.

ClannerDelta
12-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Yes, yes it is cool :)

Nope, sorry sir. It's simply not possible for it to be cool. The idea of it is just too stupid.

Bone
12-10-2008, 07:16 PM
Hmm. I shall stop having opinions then.

Seriously, you can't see the appeal to something that adds interesting detail to clothes? It's kind of the point of clothes (beyond the obvious "covering your bits" part).

ClannerDelta
12-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Hmm. I shall stop having opinions then.

Seriously, you can't see the appeal to something that adds interesting detail to clothes? It's kind of the point of clothes (beyond the obvious "covering your bits" part).

You need to petition Fits to add the sarcasm smiley back into the list of smileys.

Basically, I think it's retarded. Like with paying money for in-game pixels. That doesn't mean I think YOU specifically are retarded.

Why the fuck do I even need to write a disclaimer? Putting holes in perfectly good jeans is stupid. There's no other way to put it. Manufacturing a worn look when they will become worn over time is pointless.

Also, only shitty jeans fray once you get holes in them. Buy some work pants. :p

Bone
12-10-2008, 07:56 PM
You don't need a disclaimer. I just disagree completely with your opinion. You can't wear in-game pixels and clothing tastes are completely subjective.

ClannerDelta
12-10-2008, 08:08 PM
You don't need a disclaimer. I just disagree completely with your opinion. You can't wear in-game pixels and clothing tastes are completely subjective.

This is the crux of the problem then. You think I have a problem with holey clothes. I don't. I have a problem with paying more money for holey clothes than for the clothes themselves, which will become holey over time anyway.

I don't care one way or the other on "clothing tastes" I care about the uselessness of the purchase.

Aggort
12-10-2008, 08:12 PM
I knew a girl, who just to prove a point, went and bought jean that were whole, made them holey, and was actually complimented on how great they looked. She was dumbfounded, because she spent significantly less to make the holes herself than she would have to buy them with holes already and she actually took time to covered the frayed openings with a stylish cloth. I agreed with her that, they looked great.

Widgetcraft
12-10-2008, 08:21 PM
The biggest draw of the three World of Warcraft "Collector's Edition" boxes have been the "vanity pets" included with each. These are nothing more than small, animated critters that follow you around, giving no stat bonuses, and effecting gameplay in no way. People like to look cool, and in an MMO, anything that can set you apart from the crowd is a good thing.

I've never bought a WoW collector's edition, personally, but it has been damn tempting. I know I would love to have Frosty (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=39286) following my Death Knight around right now. I have bought other things though, such as art done of my characters for various games. That gets pretty pricey, but it is also something I really love to have, I even have one original work framed and hanging over my desk.

To each their own, I suppose.

You understand that this is really, really common in Korean MMOs, right? Anything to hate on America, I suppose.

ClannerDelta
12-10-2008, 08:30 PM
The biggest draw of the three World of Warcraft "Collector's Edition" boxes have been the "vanity pets" included with each. These are nothing more than small, animated critters that follow you around, giving no stat bonuses, and effecting gameplay in no way. People like to look cool, and in an MMO, anything that can set you apart from the crowd is a good thing.

I'm not sure it's the main draw, honestly. The artbook WoW originally came with was quite nice. I haven't played in years but I still look at that book from time to time.

Widgetcraft
12-10-2008, 08:35 PM
I'm not sure it's the main draw, honestly. The artbook WoW originally came with was quite nice. I haven't played in years but I still look at that book from time to time.

Meh, I have my doubts about any significant portion of customers actually shelling out the extra cash just for the artbook, which contains art that they could probably download somewhere. I know a few people who bought the CEs for WoW and it's expansion, and they got it for the pet.