PDA

View Full Version : IGN Says "In Your Face" To Haterz

Telefrog
12-09-2008, 10:09 AM
IGN reviews (http://wii.ign.com/articles/936/936573p1.html) Imagine Party Babyz and gives it a 7.5! :eek:

Yes, Imagine: Party Babyz features dancing toddlers on the cover. Get over it. Even on a console as mini-game saturated as the Nintendo Wii, Party Babyz manages to distinguish itself in every possible category. The challenges are fun and diverse, the controls are solid and varied and the art direction is simple and appealing. Its gameplay is definitely not intended for the toddlers it features on the box, but gamers old enough to grasp the depth and strategy within will have a great time. The game doesn't do anything entirely unique and probably won't convert devout haters of the genre, but gamers looking for a solid new mini-game compilation need look no further.

I anxiously await the CoG review...

OldJadedGamer
12-09-2008, 11:39 AM
The sad thing is that this will be more then likely one of the top 10 best rated third party games of the year for the system.

J Arcane
12-09-2008, 11:55 AM
I wonder how much Ubisoft paid for that one.

Christ, it's like they're not even trying to look credible anymore.

LongStepMantis
12-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Next up: Dora The Explorer, Hair Salon Adventure! 9.0!

Kelegacy
12-09-2008, 12:06 PM
The title of the game alone wants me to go out and buy it--if it weren't for me probably being assumed a pedophile.

I wanted to take a picture of a rack of games @ Target over the weekend. Almost flipped out my cellphone. There was an entire shovelware center, I swear. I mean, there are shovelware games on every system I guess, but the Wii takes the all-time cake.

Telefrog
12-09-2008, 12:07 PM
It's pretty awesome to look at the list of games that have scored lower, you know, like Football Manager 2009.

LongStepMantis
12-09-2008, 12:08 PM
It's pretty awesome to look at the list of games that have scored lower, you know, like Football Manager 2009.

To be fair, did it feature dancing babies? If not, that automatically caps the game score at like 8.0 :p

J Arcane
12-09-2008, 12:08 PM
The price of popularity. The DS and the PS2 have similarly dizzying amounts of crapware, and the PC pretty much dwarfs them all at once.

The solution to this is for devs to pull head from rectum and start making real games for the Wii instead of buying into bullshit fanboyism.

Kielaran
12-09-2008, 12:09 PM
Did they lose the 2.5 points for the superfluous z in the title?

Ghost Rider
12-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Did they lose the 2.5 points for the superfluous z in the title?

I think the Z should give it more points! How creative! How modern! Maybe it was a 5 before and the Z alone was worth 2.5?

crazyD
12-09-2008, 02:43 PM
Isn't a 7.5 on IGN equivalent to a 3 on a decent site? When first learning programming, I made a simple Monopoly rip off in VB, and IGN gave it a 8.5 and called it a GotY competitor.

Generation ABXY
12-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Well, I suppose they looked at it from the perspective of the target audience, which is the same thing I do whenever I’m sent a game. I mean, what good would it do to rate, say, Gears of War 2 from the position of a staunch pacifist? Just because we may hate a genre doesn’t mean a game in it isn’t perfect for the sort of person who loves it.

LongStepMantis
12-09-2008, 03:06 PM
Well, I suppose they looked at it from the perspective of the target audience, which is the same thing I do whenever Iím sent a game. I mean, what good would it do to rate, say, Gears of War 2 from the position of a staunch pacifist? Just because we may hate a genre doesnít mean a game in it isnít perfect for the sort of person who loves it.

I can honestly agree with you 100%...but who exactly is the target audience for this? I could guess moms and grandmas...baby collectors? Pedobear?

The Wii has opened the gaming market to a lot more demographics than I'm accustomed to...but this is still just weird to me.

UnderHero5
12-09-2008, 03:26 PM
I can honestly agree with you 100%...but who exactly is the target audience for this? I could guess moms and grandmas...baby collectors? Pedobear?

The Wii has opened the gaming market to a lot more demographics than I'm accustomed to...but this is still just weird to me.

My guess would be little girls. The same kind who play with baby dolls (most little girls).

H.Bogard
12-09-2008, 03:56 PM
IGN is a giant zit on a giant ass that people call Metacritic.

jacob.armitage
12-09-2008, 03:57 PM
has anyone played this? maybe it really is worth a 7.5

OldJadedGamer
12-09-2008, 05:43 PM
My guess would be little girls. The same kind who play with baby dolls (most little girls).

So the Wii's target audience... ;)

MagGnome
12-09-2008, 06:45 PM
The title of the game alone wants me to go out and buy it--if it weren't for me probably being assumed a pedophile.

I wanted to take a picture of a rack of games @ Target over the weekend. Almost flipped out my cellphone. There was an entire shovelware center, I swear. I mean, there are shovelware games on every system I guess, but the Wii takes the all-time cake.

I know that the Wii-fans will say otherwise, but I don't think a system has ever had so much shovelware. The DS comes close, but there are also a lot more gems on the DS than on the Wii.

The only real comparison is the shelf featuring $5 PC jewelcases.

crazyD
12-09-2008, 06:45 PM
I know that the Wii-fans will say otherwise, but I don't think a system has ever had so much shovelware. The DS comes close, but there are also a lot more gems on the DS than on the Wii.

The only real comparison is the shelf featuring $5 PC jewelcases.

I dunno, PS2 had a ridiculous amount of crap.

MagGnome
12-09-2008, 06:46 PM

This is true, but it never had a game called Imagine Party Babiez. :p

Edit - Also, kudos on the lightning fast reply.

Kelegacy
12-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Isn't a 7.5 on IGN equivalent to a 3 on a decent site? When first learning programming, I made a simple Monopoly rip off in VB, and IGN gave it a 8.5 and called it a GotY competitor.

The opposite can also be true. If IGN gives a game a 3/10 or 2/10, it's probably worth playing. They like to hammer games sometimes just because of hype...or because they are too lazy to hire people with interest in gaming to play and write their reviews.

My friend of mine was in a motorcycle accident a few years ago (wasn't wearing a helmet) and became a vegetable. It was terrible, but we all were really happy when he landed a job at IGN. I think he's like a senior reviews editor or something now.

OldJadedGamer
12-09-2008, 06:57 PM

I think the Wii's problem is that there is a ridiculous amount of crap very, very early in it's life where as the older the PS2 got, the more crap it got so the vast majority of the crap was in it's later life cycle.

It has to do with Nintendo not having any quality control standards. There is a reason why they took the word "quality" off their official seal.

Kelegacy
12-09-2008, 07:06 PM
I think the Wii's problem is that there is a ridiculous amount of crap very, very early in it's life where as the older the PS2 got, the more crap it got so the vast majority of the crap was in it's later life cycle.

It has to do with Nintendo not having any quality control standards. There is a reason why they took the word "quality" off their official seal.
I'd like to see them reinstate the QC. I don't know why they stopped it. But then again, that crap on the Wii and DS makes them money. Quality or not, seal or not, I guess it doesn't matter. But I'd like to see them try to limit the amount of stuff we're seeing on store shelves, crowding out the stuff worth buying.

Spigot
12-09-2008, 07:12 PM
They just need to put these kind of games in gold boxes. Then we'd be warned.

J Arcane
12-09-2008, 07:18 PM
I'd like to see them reinstate the QC. I don't know why they stopped it. But then again, that crap on the Wii and DS makes them money. Quality or not, seal or not, I guess it doesn't matter. But I'd like to see them try to limit the amount of stuff we're seeing on store shelves, crowding out the stuff worth buying.
Because the Nintendo "Seal of Quality" was a damn lie, and anyone who lived through the NES era knows it.

It's amazing they never got sued for that shit.

Spigot
12-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Because the Nintendo "Seal of Quality" was a damn lie, and anyone who lived through the NES era knows it.

It's amazing they never got sued for that shit.Maybe they forgot to leave out the "Uncertain" part of the "Seal Of Quality".

Spigot
12-09-2008, 07:38 PM
Speaking of party babies, my daughter has declared today No Pants Tuesday and I've spent most of my afternoon chasing her around with a pair of pants while she laughs like a madwoman.

As long as she gets it out of her system before she goes to college, I'm cool.

MagGnome
12-09-2008, 08:03 PM

This.

Try finding the good DS titles a few months after they come out. Most of them are long gone, replaced by licensed garbage and other shovelware.

Spigot
12-09-2008, 08:09 PM
This.

Try finding the good DS titles a few months after they come out. Most of them are long gone, replaced by licensed garbage and other shovelware.Or at least some kind of label that says, "This is a real game!"

MagGnome
12-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Or at least some kind of label that says, "This is a real game!"

That would be nice. I'd love to see little flashing signs next to the games I might actually give a crap about.

Variable Gear
12-09-2008, 10:15 PM
I would like to introduce you to a handheld called the DS.

MalReynolds
12-10-2008, 03:17 AM
OMG 7.5 -head explodes-

JayVe
12-19-2008, 07:58 AM
IGN reviews (http://wii.ign.com/articles/936/936573p1.html) Imagine Party Babyz and gives it a 7.5! :eek:I'd read that Ubisoft was putting some of their best teams on these Imagine series. I guess the results have paid off.

jpublic
12-19-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm not really surprised. As JV said, Ubisoft is putting a pretty big (but quiet) focus on these games, because they sell respectable numbers and aren't nearly as pricy to make as stuff like AC or PoP. It's entirely possible that as much as you all think they're a waste of bits, it's actually a good game.

JayVe
12-19-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm not really surprised. As JV said, Ubisoft is putting a pretty big (but quiet) focus on these games, because they sell respectable numbers and aren't nearly as pricy to make as stuff like AC or PoP. It's entirely possible that as much as you all think they're a waste of bits, it's actually a good game.

Exactly.

Even if these types of games aren't for me personally, I want everyone who experiences gaming to have quality software. Not everyone is into realistic car racing, but games like Forza sit at the upper echelons of quality.

Everyone should have great software, even if those experiences are outside what are typically considered games.

Kudos to Ubisoft for making a good game I don't want to play. Hopefully they see the results of their quality efforts, and the game isn't lost among a sea of wanabees.

Spigot
12-19-2008, 09:38 AM
I don't really have a problem with these types of software being made if they're actually good. I know that they're not for me in the slightest. That said, there is such a glut of shovelware along the lines of the Imagine series that it's more the concept of such crap being ladled out to the masses that irks me than this one game/series.

JayVe
12-19-2008, 09:43 AM
I don't really have a problem with these types of software being made if they're actually good. I know that they're not for me in the slightest. That said, there is such a glut of shovelware along the lines of the Imagine series that it's more the concept of such crap being ladled out to the masses that irks me than this one game/series.

Isn't that the beauty of a free market? Yeah, there is a lot of junk out there. The cream will rise to the top. PS2 ended up with a ton of shitware. The difference was the PS2 was DIFFICULT to program for straight out of the gate. Only years later, when software development tools were refined, and affordable, did more shitty titles appear. The Wii is easy to develop for, so the ratio of shit to quality is much higher.

The most successful console of each generation has the highest shit/awesome ratio. If the system with the best ratio of shit/awesome was the winner, we'd all be playing our Dreamcast II right now. Mass market NEEDS shit to survive. Look at TV or movies for another great example.

Spigot
12-19-2008, 10:01 AM
Isn't that the beauty of a free market? Yeah, there is a lot of junk out there. The cream will rise to the top. Oh, how I wish this was true...

I mean, I know it is true in most cases, but I just feel bad for those kids who have the clueless parents who go out and buy "Monkey Baby Party" instead of "Imagine Babiez" because the covers are similar.

Unfortunately, as much as cream rises to the top, crap also floats and tends to bury the awesome software (games or otherwise) that should get the sales.